This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » The 2021 Edmonton Oilers' Birthday threadPages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: October 29 [message #793680 is a reply to message #793675 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 10:00

Dmitry Kulikov
Born: October 29, 1990 (turns 31 today) in Lipetsk, USSR.
Position: Defenseman (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by New Jersey for 4th round pick, April 12, 2021.
Oilers Career: 2020-21; 10 games (3 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Minnesota, July 29, 2021.

Kulikov was a 1st round pick by Florida in 2009 and was a full time NHLer right out of the gate, making the Panthers in 09-10. He spent seven full years patrolling Florida's blueline, followed that up with a year in Buffalo and three more in Winnipeg--never playing in the minors. He signed a one year deal with the Devils in 2020, and the Oilers acquired him as a deadline rental for the playoffs. He would only play 10 games down the stretch due to a minor injury and was an adequate 2nd/3rd pair guy. He played three playoff games (being healthy scratched for the fourth) and the Oilers were not impressed enough to try to keep him around. He signed with the Wild in July 2021 and continues his career there. Happy 31st Dmitry.

While I was underwhelmed with Kulikov as a deadline pickup, I do wonder if he wouldn't have been a more solid re-signing than Slater Koekkoek. A lot more expensive, so there's that to consider, but I'd feel better with him on the third pairing.

Maybe one of the young LHDs makes the jump later this year and we don't worry about it, but I will say, I'm not loving Koekkoek or Russell as the #6/#7 defencemen.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

October 30 [message #793704 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sat, 30 October 2021 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Just 5 total games played by today's two alumni:

Jim Mayer
Born: October 30, 1954 (turns 67 today) in Capreol, ON.
Position: Right Wing (shoots right).
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed on waivers from New England, May 1978.
Oilers Career: 1978-79; 2 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Claimed by NY Rangers in WHA dispersal draft, June 9, 1979.

Mayer came out of Michigan Tech and turned pro at the age of 22 in 1976. He signed with Calgary in the WHA, and then moved on to New England for the 77-78 season where he had his best major pro season getting 20 points in 51 games. The Oilers claimed him for the 78-79 season, but he would play the season with their farm team in Dallas, getting in for just two games with Edmonton. He was lost to the Rangers in the dispersal draft in 1979 when the Oilers joined the NHL. He would play just 4 games in New York (his only NHL games) and finish his career in the minors before retiring in 1982. No trace of his activities since then--happy 67th Jim.

Brad Aitken
Born: October 30, 1967 (turns 54 today) in Scarborough, ON.
Position: Left Wing (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Pittsburgh for Kim Issel, March 5, 1991.
Oilers Career: 1990-91; 3 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Toronto, July 30, 1991.

Aitken was a winger out of Sault Ste. Marie who was a third round pick of the Penguins in 1986. He turned pro in 1987 and spent nearly four years in the Pens organization, but played just 11 NHL games, spending the rest in the IHL. The Oilers acquired him late in the 1990-91 season, but he would play just 3 games with them (and only 6 in Cape Breton). He'd never play in the NHL again--he signed with the Leafs in 1991 but spent two years playing on their farm in St. John's. This was followed by a year in the ECHL and retirement in 1993. All I can find on him since then is that he was one of twenty players who filed a lawsuit against the NHL in 2013 with regards to player safety and concussions. Happy 54th Brad.

October 31 [message #793767 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sun, 31 October 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Two Halloween babies in Oiler history, both with their starts in the WHA:

Dan Spring
Born: October 31, 1951 (turns 70 today) in Rossland, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, September 1975.
Oilers Career: 1975-76; 75 games (2 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Not re-signed after 75-76 season.

There's very little information on Spring. He played four years on the Oil Kings from 1967 to 1971, then played two years with Dallas in the CHL. He was then signed by the Winnipeg Jets and played two full seasons with them before the Oilers signed him in 1975 and he played the full 75-76 season in Edmonton (23 points in 75 games). He basically disappeared after that, playing two years with the Cranbrook Royals in the (I've never heard of it) WIHL and then retired in 1978. Nothing on him after this. Hope you are well Dan and happy 70th.

Risto Siltanen
Born: October 31, 1958 (turns 63 today) in Mantta, Finland
Position: Defenseman (shoots right).
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, March 1979.
Oilers Career: 1978-79; 1979-80 to 1981-82: 226 games (27 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Claimed by St. Louis in WHA dispersal draft, June 9, 1979.
Reacquired by Oilers: Traded by St. Louis (with Tom Roulston) for Joe Micheletti, August 7, 1979.
Left Oilers for good: Traded to Hartford (with Brent Loney) for Ken Linseman and Don Nachbaur, August 19, 1982.

Siltanen was a slick d-man out of Finland and can probably be considered the first of the great Finnish Oilers. He joined the team very late in their last WHA season in March 1979, but was then subsequently lost to St. Louis in the dispersal draft when the team moved to the NHL. They promptly re-acquired him before the start of the season and he would go on to play three full seasons with the Oilers in the NHL, improving each season and topping out in 81-82 getting a point a game (63 points in 63 games). He was then involved in a big three-way deal between Edmonton, Philadelphia, and Hartford that saw Ken Linseman come to the Oilers and Siltanen end up with Hartford. He would play three and a half years in Hartford and then another year and a half in Quebec, continuing to be a valuable offensive defenseman. In 1987 he returned to Europe, playing one year in Switzerland and then eight years in Finland and then one more in Germany before he retired in 1997. Since then he spent a year (03-04) as an assistant coach for a U20 team in Finland, but that's all I can find. Hope you're well Risto and happy 63rd.

November 1 [message #793776 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Mon, 01 November 2021 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Another new month--just two to go. It's been more work than I thought, but I should be able to stick with it and finish this thing.

Today brings us four players, including two goalies with the minimal qualifications for entry:

Doug Halward
Born: November 1, 1955 (turns 66 today) in Toronto, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Detroit for 12th round pick, January 23, 1989.
Oilers Career: 1988-89; 24 games (2 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Retired in 1989.

Halward was a skilled offensive d-man and 1st round pick of the Bruins in 1975. He spent the period of 1975 to 1979 playing for both the Bruins and their Rochester farm team, but was traded to the Kings in 1979 and became a full time NHLer. He was in LA until being traded to Vancouver in 1981, which is where he played the longest and had his best years. He went to Detroit in 1987 and after a couple of years there became an Oiler midway through 88-89. He was well past his prime by this point and acted mostly as a sixth/seventh d-man with the Oilers (played 24 games plus 2 more (out of 7) in the playoffs). He would retire after the season. He would soon co-found Consolidated Resource Recovery, an organic recycling company (becoming president) and later Answer Garden Products Ltd. Quite the entrepreneur. Happy 66th Doug.

Mike Minard
Born: November 1, 1976 (turns 45 today) in Owen Sound, ON.
Position: Goalie (catches left).
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 83rd overall, July 8, 1995.
Oilers Career: 1999-2000; 1 game (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Toronto, March 16 2001.

Minard was a goalie and 4th round pick of the Oilers in 1995. He would have a long career and play in almost every league that existed in North America. From 1995-2000 he played in the ECHL, IHL, and AHL and had worked his way up to be the starting goalie in Hamilton for 99-00. Late in the season he was called up to Edmonton and given the start in their final game of the season, allowing 3 goals in a win over Calgary. This game was noted as the last one ever for both Grant Fuhr and Bill Ranford who were the backups for Calgary and Edmonton respectively (Fuhr actually got into the game--Ranford didn't). Minard would sign with the Leafs the next year, but would would only ever get the one NHL game. He continued to bounce around the AHL and ECHL, went to Belfast for two years and finally retired in 2008. Post retirement he would be hired by Portland in the AHL as an assistant coach for the 2013-14 season, but then got into trouble when he was arrested in August 2014 for sexual misconduct (he was sexting with a 13 year old girl). He spent two months in prison and I assume has been persona non-grata in hockey circles since. Hope you can (or maybe already have) turned things around Mike. I'll be gracious and wish you a happy 46th.

Tyler Pitlick
Born: November 1, 1991 (turns 30 today) in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Position: Centre (shoots right).
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 31st overall, June 26, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2013-14 to 2016-17; 58 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Dallas, July 1, 2017.

Pitlick was a promising prospect out of Minnesota state drafted by the Oilers in the 2nd round in 2010. Throughout his tenure with the Oilers, Pitlick was plagued by injuries. From 2012 to 2017 he never played more than 50 games in a season (most of those he did play were in the AHL). He had a tremendous camp in 2016, making the Oilers and looking quite good on a third line for 31 games to start the season--but then he got injured again and was out for the rest of the season. Pitlick and the Oilers parted ways after that and he signed with Dallas in 2017. He spent two years with the Stars, one with the Flyers and then spent the 20-21 season with the Coyotes--he's been a constant NHL player since leaving the Oilers. He signed with the Flames for 21-22 and his career continues. Happy 30th Tyler.

Stuart Skinner
Born: November 1, 1998 (turns 23 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Position: Goalie (catches left).
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 78th overall, June 24, 2017.
Oilers Career: 20-21 to present; 1 game and counting (0 playoff games).

Skinner was a local boy, a goalie who played his junior with Lethbridge whom the Oilers took with a 3rd round pick in 2017. In the last few years he has slowly worked his way up the org chart, playing in the ECHL in 18-19, graduating to Bakersfield for 19-20, and splitting 20-21 on the Oilers' taxi squad and the Condors. He is of course on this list for the start he was given against Ottawa on January 31 of this year. It wasn't the best performance but he did get the win as the Oilers were able to outscore his mistakes. He has been good since being sent back to the Condors and as I write this he is once again backing up Koskinen at the NHL while Smith nurses an injury. Heck he may get the start tonight on his 23rd birthday to give Mikko a rest (probably not). Happy birthday Stuart.

Re: November 1 [message #794096 is a reply to message #793776 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Mon, 01 November 2021 10:04

Another new month--just two to go. It's been more work than I thought, but I should be able to stick with it and finish this thing.

Thanks again for doing this! It's always great reading - and I'm impressed by how much work you must have put in to this, especially to find information about obscure WHA-era players. It's made for required reading this year!

Between this and birthing the Oilfans Survivor, you're a true Oilfans legend.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: November 1 [message #794097 is a reply to message #794096 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 11:19

Thanks again for doing this! It's always great reading - and I'm impressed by how much work you must have put in to this, especially to find information about obscure WHA-era players. It's made for required reading this year!

True story. It's a daily must read.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: November 1 [message #794100 is a reply to message #794097 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 11:29

Thanks guys. It is a bit more work than I thought, but with just over 7 weeks left, I'm still enjoying it. Glad to know the effort is appreciated.

Re: November 1 [message #794112 is a reply to message #794100 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

benv wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 12:59

Thanks guys. It is a bit more work than I thought, but with just over 7 weeks left, I'm still enjoying it. Glad to know the effort is appreciated.

Count another pat on the back here. It is fantastic to check the thread every day and I find myself disappointed when there is a day with no B'days.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: November 1 [message #794118 is a reply to message #794112 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

7 weeks left? I tohught you were just going to keep going. Every year add the couple of new guys, but for everyone else go deeper down the rabbit hole.
"For Sam Gagner's 43rd birthday he had waffles and candied bacon. he became a little upset when I took the picture of him in his kitchen..."

Re: November 1 [message #794195 is a reply to message #794112 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 20:05

benv wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 12:59

Count another pat on the back here. It is fantastic to check the thread every day and I find myself disappointed when there is a day with no B'days.

Some days this is more entertaining than reading the reviews of the previous night's game.

Like today.

Great job with the bday thread!!!!! Many thanks for doing it!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

November 2 [message #793832 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Tue, 02 November 2021 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Funny coincidence that the two players born on November 2 were both acquired by the Oilers on the same day (March 23, 1999). One of them stayed for 2 games; the other for 542.

Vladimir Vorobiev
Born: November 2, 1972 (turns 49 today) in Cherepovets, USSR.
Position: Left Wing (shoots right).
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by NY Rangers for Kevin Brown, March 23, 1999.
Oilers Career: 1998-99; 2 games (1 playoff game).
Left Oilers: Left to play in Russia in 2000.

Vorobiev was a tenth round pick by the Rangers in 1992. After four years in the top Russian league he came over to North America in 1996. He spent nearly three years with the Rangers playing 31 games in the NHL and 182 more in the AHL. As a deadline acquisition by the Oilers in 1999, he played just 2 games down the stretch with the team (2 goals) and 1 more in the playoffs (1 goal). With three goals in three games, you'd think he'd get a longer look--I remember thinking he looked really good in his limited opportunity, but the Oilers didn't give him another shot as he spent the entire 99-00 season in the minors and then returned to Russia in the summer of 2000. He would play another eleven years in Russia before retiring in 2011. Since then he's been an assistant or head coach in the KHL for over ten years, most recently with Amur Khabarovsk. Happy 49th Vladimir.

Jason Smith
Born: November 2, 1973 (turns 48 today) in Calgary, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Toronto for 2nd and 4th round picks, March 23, 1999.
Oilers Career: 1998-99 to 2006-07; 542 games (45 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Philadelphia (with Joffrey Lupul) for Joni Pitkanen, Geoff Sanderson, and 3rd round pick, July 1, 2007.

Smith was a top prospect, being a first round pick of the Devils in 1992. While he put up points in junior (with Regina) he established himself in the NHL as a top flight shut down guy. After three and a half years in New Jersey and over two years in Toronto, the Oilers made a steal of trade, getting him for a couple of mid-round picks. He had his best years in Edmonton where he remained for eight years. He was a consistent member of their top 4, and was named team captain after the departure of Doug Weight in 2001. He was an absolute workhorse for them during the 2006 cup run, playing top end minutes with Chris Pronger. In 2007, Smith was aging and the Oilers were rebuilding, thus he was dealt to the Flyers. One season in Philadelphia was followed by a season in Ottawa and then retirement in 2009. He's been coaching since then: four years as an assistant with Ottawa, followed by five as a head coach in the WHL (Kelowna and Prince George). He is currently an assistant with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the AHL. Happy 48th Jason.

An off day tomorrow with no alumni birthdays--back on Thursday.

November 4 [message #793898 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Thu, 04 November 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Just one player today; an original Oiler, who never played for any other team in the WHA or NHL.

Ross Perkins
Born: November 4, 1946 (turns 75 today) in Tisdale, SK.
Position: Centre (shoots right).
Acquired by Oilers: Selected in general WHA player draft, February 12, 1972.
Oilers Career: 1972-73 to 1974-75; 225 games (6 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Retired in 1975.

Perkins was a decent scorer with the Oil Kings for two seasons in the mid 60s. He turned pro in 1967 but couldn't make the NHL playing 5 seasons (1967 to 1972) in the minors before he was selected by the Alberta Oilers in the general WHA player draft in 1972. He would play 3 full seasons with the Oilers getting 137 points in 225 games He was in the top 5 for Oilers scoring in his first two seasons. After a huge drop to only 23 points in 74-75 he would never play pro hockey again (making him a rare player that played his entire major pro career with the Oilers). Since I can find nothing about him after 1975, I don't now what happened to him these last 46 years. Hope everything is good Ross, and happy 75th.

November 5 [message #793936 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Fri, 05 November 2021 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Cast your mind back to the late 90s and see if you recall a couple of depth d-men:

Ken Sutton
Born: November 5, 1969 (turns 52 today) in Edmonton, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Buffalo for Scott Pearson, April 7, 1995.
Oilers Career: 1994-95 to 1995-96; 44 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to St. Louis (with Igor Kravchuk) for Donald Dufresne and Jeff Norton, January 4, 1996.

Sutton was an Edmonton boy and mid-level prospect d-man out of Saskatoon. He was drafted in the 5th round by Buffalo in 1989, but after just two years in the AHL he managed to become a full time NHLer with the Sabres by 91-92. After over three full seasons in Buffalo, he was having an injury plagued 94-95 when he was dealt to the retooling Oilers at the deadline. His time with his hometown team was less than a year as after playing 44 games as an Oiler, he was part of a four defenseman trade between Edmonton and St. Louis in 1996. After leaving the Oilers he had some trouble sticking around the NHL. He would play with four more NHL teams (Blues, Devils, Sharks, and Islanders) but also spent significant time in the AHL. He went to Germany in 2003 and finished his career there before retiring in 2006. Can't find any info on him over the last 15 years. Wherever you are, Ken, happy 52nd.

Sean Brown
Born: November 5, 1976 (turns 45 today) in Oshawa, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Boston (with Mariusz Czerkawski and 1st round pick) for Bill Ranford, January 11, 1996.
Oilers Career: 1996-97 to 2001-02; 269 games (4 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Boston for Bobby Allen, March 19, 2002.

Brown was a 1st round pick by the Bruins in 1995. Before even turning pro, he was traded to the Oilers as part of a package for Bill Ranford (considering Brown's first round status, the Oilers were actually able to get three pretty decent assets for an aging, past his prime Ranford). Brown played the 96-97 and 97-98 seasons playing with the Oilers' farm team in Hamilton, getting called up for stints of 5 and 18 games in each year. Starting in 98-99 he stuck with the big club, generally being a steady third pairing defenseman, without much offense, but providing toughness. His Oiler days ended at the 2002 trade deadline when he was dealt back to Boston. He spent the next five years in the NHL with the Bruins, Devils, and Canucks, also spending some time in the AHL. He went to Europe in 2006 and finished off his career in Germany and Austria before he retired in 2011. In retirement he returned to Edmonton and was an assistant coach with the Oil Kings for two years and the UofA Golden Bears for one. He's also done media work and has coached U18 teams around town. Happy 45th Sean.

November 6 [message #794061 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sat, 06 November 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Just the single alumnus today:

Erik Cole
Born: November 6, 1978 (turns 43 today) in Oswego, New York.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Carolina for Joni Pitkanen, July 1, 2008.
Oilers Career: 2008-09; 63 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Carolina with 5th round pick for Patrick O'Sullivan and 2nd round pick, March 4, 2009.

Cole was a power forward out of Clarkson University. Drafted by the Hurricanes (3rd round, 1998), he spent a year in the IHL before joining Carolina full time in 01-02. He spent seven years with the Hurricanes, having his best years from 2006 to 2008, getting 51 to 61 points. In the summer of 2008 the Oilers targeted him as the power forward they needed to put them over the top, giving up skilled (but not fan favourite) d-man Joni Pitkanen. Cole was five years older than Pitkanen and on the last year of his deal, making the trade somewhat odd (to me at the time anyway). He would play 63 games for Edmonton during 08-09 getting 16 goals and 27 points--a big drop off from his previous seasons. The Oilers dealt him back to the Hurricanes at the trade deadline, once their playoff hopes were dashed. He would recover his form for a couple of years, getting 52 points in 10-11 before going to Montreal and then getting 61 points in 11-12. He would wrap his career with stints in Dallas and Detroit before he retired in 2015 after serious spinal contusion. After retiring he helped start OXIGEN, an oxygen boosted water brand, and also worked as a "team ambassador" with the Hurricanes. Happy 43rd Erik.

November 7 [message #794075 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sun, 07 November 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Today's alumni include a set of twin brothers, a minor league journeyman, and the only ever Norwegian Oiler:

Bob McAneeley
Born: November 7, 1950 (turns 71 today) in Cranbrook, BC.
Oilers Career: 1972-73 to 1973-74; 1975-76: 174 games (7 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by California (NHL), July 1974.
Reacquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, June 1975.
Left Oilers for good: Retired in 1976.

Bob McAneeley was a defensive forward who played junior with the Oil Kings and then spent two years at UBC. He was selected by the Oilers in the first WHA general player draft and joined the team for their first two years of existence, playing 103 games in a depth forward role. In 1974 he was signed by California in the NHL (where his twin brother played), but spent the entire 74-75 season in the minors (he never actually played in the NHL) before returning to Edmonton in 1975 coming over with his twin brother Ted (see below). After playing the full 75-76 season with the Oilers he would retire. It looks like he settled in Edmonton and became an accountant, which he continues to this day at Crowe MacKay. Happy 71st Bob.

Ted McAneeley
Born: November 7, 1950 (turns 71 today) in Cranbrook, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Houston for future considerations, June 1975.
Oilers Career: 1975-76; 79 games (4 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Not re-signed after 75-76 season.

Ted McAneeley was a d-man who played (with twin brother Bob) on the Oil Kings, but decided to turn pro right away, playing two years in the AHL. He got his big break in 1972 signing with California in the NHL and would play the next two full seasons with the team. In 74-75 he was limited to just 9 NHL games, spending the rest in the minors. The following season he jumped over to the WHA along with Bob and the two would play together on the 75-76 Oilers. Ted played the full year as a regular blueliner, but this would end his major pro career as he would spend the next three years with the minor league Spokane Flyers (acting as a player/coach) before retiring in 1979. I'm not sure what he's been up to since--I have found that a Ted McAneeley manages a hotel in Hawaii, but can't confirm that it's the same guy. Wherever you are Ted, happy 71st.

Michel Picard
Born: November 7, 1969 (turns 52 today) in Beauport, QU.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, December 2, 1999.
Oilers Career: 1999-2000; 2 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Philadelphia, August 14, 2000.

Picard was a forward with a long pro-career where he fought for any NHL opportunities he could find. From 1989 to 2004 he played 166 NHL games and hundreds more in various minor leagues including 582 in the AHL. His time as an Oiler was brief; they acquired him in the middle of the 99-00 season and he would suit up for just two games, playing the rest of his time in the AHL. That would be it, as he would move on to Philadelphia in the offseason. All in all he suited up for six different NHL teams (Hartford, San Jose, Ottawa, St. Louis, Edmonton, and Philadelphia) and finished his career playing senior hockey in Quebec before retiring in 2009. After retirement he worked as an amateur scout for the St. Blues a job he held until 2020. Happy 52nd Michel.

Patrick Thoresen
Born: November 7, 1983 (turns 38 today) in Oslo, Norway.
Position: Centre (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, May 31, 2006.
Oilers Career: 2006-07 to 2007-08; 85 games (0 playoff games)
Left Oilers: Claimed on waivers by Philadelphia, February 22, 2008.

Thoresen was that rare Norwegian hockey player who came to North America to play junior in 2001. After not getting drafted he played two years in the SEL and attracted the attention of the Oilers who signed him in 2006. He made the team out of training camp and would play the full 06-07 season as an Oiler. He had a hot start but did cool down later (as did that entire team) and finished the season with just 16 points in 68 games. He regressed the next year getting in just 17 games with the Oilers and spending time in the AHL. He was claimed on waivers late in the season by the Flyers and would play his final 21 NHL games with them. He gave up on the NHL dream at this point and returned to Europe. He spent a year in the Swiss league followed by six in the KHL. He bounced around a bit after this and eventually returned home to Norway where he continues to play to this day. Happy 38th Patrick.

November 8 [message #794088 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Today we have a late WHA coach and a forgotten stay-at-home Finnish blueliner:

Brian Shaw
Born: November 8, 1930 in Nordegg, AB.
Oilers Coaching Career: 1973-74 to 1974-75; 137 games (5 playoff games).
Died: July 27, 1993 (age 62) in Portland Oregon of lymphoma.

Shaw never made it past the junior level in terms of being a hockey player, but found a bit of success coaching starting in the mid-60s. He coached junior teams in Moose Jaw and St. Catharines, and finally spent two years as head coach of the Oil Kings (71-72 to 72-73). His success with the Oil Kings attracted Bill Hunter enough to hire him as the new Oilers coach at the start of the 73-74 season, the Oilers' second. He coached them to a 38-37-3 and a first round playoff loss. Despite a slight improvement in 74-75 (30-26-3) he was fired near the end of the season. He would go back to the Oil Kings for a couple of years, and then became the owner and GM of the Portland Winterhawks in 1976-77 and held these positions for seventeen years until his death of lymphoma in 1993. As a sad addendum to Shaw's legacy, four years after his death (in the wake of Graham James' conviction), some of his ex-players (including ex-Oiler Jim Harrison) claimed that he had made unwanted sexual advances during his tenure as their coach. Yikes--that's our second alumni this month involved in alleged sexual misconduct. Anyways, RIP Brian.

Kari Haakana
Born: November 8, 1973 (turns 48 today) in Outokumpu, Finland.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 248th overall, June 24, 2001.
Oilers Career: 2002-03; 13 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Returned to Sweden following 02-03 season.

Haakana was a stay at home d-man who was 27 years old and already had a long career in the Finnish Elite league and German league when the Oilers selected him with a late round pick in 2001. He tried his luck in the NHL, coming over in 2002 and playing 13 games with the Oilers and another 18 in Hamilton. The experience wasn't too memorable for either side, and Haakana elected to return to Europe after the 02-03 season. He bounced around several leagues there before finally calling it a career in 2010. Since retiring he's worked as an assistant (and occasionally head) coach in various levels of the Finnish junior program. Happy 48th Kari.

November 9 [message #794121 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The beat goes on with today's two alumni. Geez, I have to mention sexual misconduct yet again. At least it's only in terms of an alleged mishandling of reporting this time.

Bill Guerin
Born: November 9, 1970 (turns 51 today) in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by New Jersey (with Valeri Zelepukin) for Jason Arnott and Bryan Muir, January 4, 1998.
Oilers Career: 1997-98 to 2000-01; 211 games (20 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Boston (with 1st round pick) for Anson Carter and 1st and 2nd round picks, November 15, 2000.

Guerin was a skilled winger and the fifth overall pick by the Devils in 1989. He took his time getting to the NHL but was a regular with the Devils by the 92-93 season and would stay in the league for the next 17 years. He was acquired by the Oilers mid season in 97-98 for Jason Arnott in a trade that was beneficial for both teams. While Arnott was good in New Jersey, Guerin proved an extremely good fit with the Oilers playing on the wing with fellow American Weight and giving the Oilers a potent top line (often with Ryan Smyth on the left). Guerin would spend just under three years over four seasons in Edmonton getting 151 points in his 211 games (during the lowest scoring era of the NHL) and leading the team in 98-99 with 64 points. The cash strapped Oilers were forced to trade him early in 00-01 and he would go on to play another ten years in the NHL with five different teams (Bruins, Stars, Blues, Sharks, Islanders, and Penguins) before retiring in 2010--he put up good numbers right into his late 30s. After retirement, he immediately went into management being hired by Pittsburgh as a development coach in 2011 and being promoted to assistant GM in 2014. In 2019 he took the job as GM of the Minnesota Wild, a position he still holds today. Guerin could be in trouble now, as he is named in a lawsuit about a coverup of a sexual assualt that involved Clark Donatelli, the coach of the Penguins' AHL team, which Guerin was GM for at the time--to be fair he denies any responsibility and nothing is proven yet. That's the third time this month I've had to talk about sexual misconduct with regards to an alumni. Let's hope it stops there. Happy 51st Bill.

Jason Bowen
Born: November 9, 1973 (turns 48 today) in Port Alice, BC.
Position: Defenceman (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Philadelphia for Brant Myhres, October 15, 1997.
Oilers Career: 1997-98; 4 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Colorado, August 26, 1999.

Bowen was a top prospect d-man out of Tri-City, taken in the 1st round by the Flyers in 1992. He got his career started with a bang playing 63 games right out the gate in Philadelphia once he left junior. Unfortunately he would regress after this and spent most of the rest of his time with the Flyers in the AHL until they dealt him to the Oilers in 1997. He didn't have any more luck with the Oilers, playing two seasons with the franchise and spending all but 4 games of it in Hamilton. These 4 games with the Oilers in 97-98 would actually be the last NHL games of his career. He signed with the Avs in 1999, but never got out of the AHL. In 2000 he took his act to Britain and played 6 years in the UK, most of them in Belfast, until he retired in 2006. After retiring, Bowen became a restaurant chef, which he continues to do to this day. Happy 48th Jason.

November 10 [message #794186 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Our current GM is joined today by two defenseman from different eras:

Larry Hornung
Born: November 10, 1945 in Gravelbourg, SK.
Acquired by Oilers: Claimed from Winnipeg in intra-league draft, June 1976.
Oilers Career: 1976-77; 21 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to San Diego for Gregg Boddy, November 26, 1976.
Died: May 5, 2001 (age 55) in Regina, SK of cancer.

Hornung was a blueliner with some offensive acumen who spent five full years toiling in the minors from 1966 to 1971 before finally getting his break and playing 46 games with the St. Louis Blues in 71-72. He joined Winnipeg in the inaugural season of the WHA and had a brilliant campaign getting 58 points in 72-73. After three more years as a steady presence on the Jets' blueline, the Oilers claimed him in 1976. His time in Edmonton was short, just 21 games in 76-77 before they dealt him to San Diego. He would finish the season as a Mariner, return to Winnipeg for a brief stint and then retired in 1978. Upon retirement he became a scout, working for the Jets/Coyotes and then the Maple Leafs. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2000 and died from it the next year at age of 55. RIP Larry.

Ken Holland
Born: November 10, 1955 (turns 66 today) in Vernon, BC.
Oilers GM Career: 2019-20 to present; 138 games and counting (8 playoff games).

Holland was a goalie who spent eight years (1977 to 1985) as an AHL starting goalie, managing just 4 NHL games in that time. He retired in 1985 and took a job as a scout with the Red Wings. He would remain in Detroit for the next 34 years, becoming director of amateur scouting in 1987, assistant GM in 1994, and finally GM in 1997. He would be the GM of record for four Stanley Cups in Detroit and finally was promoted out of the GM job in 2019 to make way for Steve Yzerman. The Oilers immediately coaxed him over to Edmonton to become their new GM and he has held that role since then, starting his third season this year. He's certainly not been perfect (he definitely mishandled the Keith trade), and can appear somewhat arrogant in his press conferences, but the team has at least been (regular season) successful under his watch compared to his predecessors. We'll see if he can make believers out of some of his critics as he continues to make the team in his image. Happy 66th Ken.

Theo Peckham
Born: November 10, 1987 (turns 34 today) in Richmond Hill, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 75th overall, June 24, 2006.
Oilers Career: 2007-08 to 2012-13; 160 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Chicago, July 19, 2013.

Peckham was a rugged d-man out of Owen Sound whom the Oilers nabbed with a 3rd rounder in 2006. After turning pro in 2007 he would spend a full six years in the organization, spending the first three primarily in the AHL but getting 31 games of action in Edmonton as well. He finally graduated as a full time NHLer in 10-11 and would take his place as a 2nd/3rd pairing guy for two seasons. After coming into training camp in January 2013 (after the lockout) out of shape, he lost favour with management, and would play just 4 games that season. The Oilers would wash their hands of him at this point and he signed with Chicago, but would never play any NHL games after leaving Edmonton. He spent 14-15 playing in Europe (Denmarka and Slovakia), spent a year in the ECHL and has been playing senior hockey in Ontario ever since--he's currently with the Shallow Lake Crushers. That's quite a fall-from the NHL to senior hockey in just 3 years. Anyway, I still have fond memories of you Theo--happy 34th.

No Oilers' alumni were born on Remembrance day so it's an off day tomorrow. Back on Friday.

November 12 [message #794303 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Fri, 12 November 2021 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

A single alumnus today , but I bet you remember him:

Adam Larsson
Born: November 12, 1992 (turns 29 today) in Skelleftea, Sweden.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by New Jersey for Taylor Hall, June 29, 2016.
Oilers Career: 2016-17 to 2020-21; 349 games (21 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Claimed by Seattle in expansion draft, July 21, 2021.

Larsson was an elite prospect out of Sweden, who was an early contender for the 1st overall pick in 2011, but would eventually go 4th overall to the Devils. While Larsson was considered an offensive d-man in Sweden he settled into a role as a great (if not elite) stay-at-home blueliner in the NHL. He spent five years with the Devils and the Oilers wanted him so bad in 2016, they gave up Taylor Hall straight up--a move that was just the slightest bit controversial in E-town. Larsson came to Edmonton and was basically the same guy he was in New Jersey, a solid top four right side defenseman, who did steady the blue line somewhat, and the Oilers did make the playoffs 3 of his five years here (after having missed the previous 10). I think we all know how he left--his contract was up after 20-21 and he chose to sign with the expansion Kraken, who used their expansion pick to solidify the contract. I don't know if we'll ever know why Larsson rejected Edmonton (I know the stories about his father's death, but is that the whole story?), but I wish him well in Seattle. Happy 29th Adam.

November 13 [message #794385 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sat, 13 November 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Two alumni today, both born in BC; 48 years apart:

Len Lunde
Born: November 13, 1936 in Campbell River, BC.
Position: Centre (shoots right)
Oilers Career: 1973-74; 71 games (5 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Retired in 1974.
Died: November 22, 2010 (age 74) in Edmonton, AB of a heart condition.

Lunde was a centre, born in BC, but spent his formative hockey years in Edmonton playing two years with the Oil Kings (1954-1956) and then two more pro years with the old WHL Edmonton Flyers (1956-1958). He spent most of his pro career moving up and down between the NHL and the minors, playing a total of 321 NHL games (and a similar number in the WHL) from 1958 to 1971 with the Wings, Hawks, North Stars, and Canucks. He was a point a game player at the minor league level, but only about a third of that at the NHL level. He spent the 71-72 season in Finland and then sat out the 72-73 season. He came out of his retirement to join the Oilers in 1973. He was 36 and well past his prime, but still managed 48 points in 71 games. He would call it a day after that. After retiring he did some coaching in Finland, and spent one year (79-80) as a European scout for the Oilers. He would eventually settle in Edmonton and remain until his death from a heart condition in 2010 at the age of 74. RIP Len.

Jason Garrison
Born: November 13, 1984 (turns 37 today) in White Rock, BC.
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, October 2, 2018.
Oilers Career: 2018-19; 17 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Chicago (with Drake Caggiula) for Brandon Manning and Robin Norell, December 30, 2018.

Garrison went undrafted and went to UMinnn for three years and was finally noticed by the Florida Panthers who signed him in 2008. After a bit of AHL seasoning, he was an NHL regular by 2010. He would find his way to Vancouver, Tampa Bay, and Vegas before the Oilers signed him for some d-depth in 2018. He would last about half the season in Edmonton playing 17 games in the 6/7 role. They would deal him to Chicago, but the Hawks terminated his contract and he would finish his career with a year and a half in the Swedish Elite League before he retired in 2020. He is currently working as an assistant coach with his alumni at the University of Minnesota Duluth. Happy 37th Jason.

+November 14 [message #794400 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Today we have a recently deceased ex-coach, a cup of coffee d-man, and a guy who is still frequently discussed despite being gone for over five years now.

Bryan Watson
Born: November 14, 1942 in Bancroft, ON.
Oilers Coaching Career: 1980-81; 18 games (0 playoff games).
Died: July 8, 2021 (age 78) in Saint Michaels Maryland of pneumonia.

"Bugsy" Watson had an almost twenty year career as a stay-at-home defenseman. He worked his way through the minors to become a regular NHLer by 1968. He played 878 NHL games for six different teams (Montreal, Detroit, Oakland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Washington) and finished his career in the WHA with Cincinnati before retiring in 1979. At the start of the 80-81 season he was hired to coach the Oilers when Sather was promoted to GM. He would have a short career as we was behind the bench for just 18 games (going 4-9-5) before Sather fired him and took over the job himself. It looks like Watson got out of hockey after this, moving to Virginia and starting his own pizza place. Waston died just four months ago in July 2021 at the age of 78 of complications from pneumonia. RIP Bryan.

Bobby Allen
Born: November 14, 1978 (turns 43 today) in Weymouth, Massachusetts.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Boston for Sean Brown, March 19, 2002.
Oilers Career: 2002-03; 1 game (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by New Jersey, July 22, 2004.

Allen was a d-man out of Boston College and drafted in the 2nd round by his hometown Bruins in 1998. He was in his first year of pro, playing with Providence when the Bruins dealt him to the Oilers. He would spend just over two years in the Oilers' organization, playing 122 games in the AHL with Hamilton and Toronto, and squeaking onto this thread by appearing in one game with the Oilers in 02-03. He signed with the Devils in 2004 and after two years in their AHL team he went back to Boston where he was able to finally stick in the NHL for a while getting in 50 games with the Bruins in 06-07 and 07-08. Herniated discs in his back forced him to retire after that. It looks like he has since lived a quiet life with his teacher wife in Massachusetts. Happy 43rd Bobby.

Taylor Hall
Born: November 14, 1991 (turns 30 today) in Calgary, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 1st overall, June 25, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2010-11 to 2015-16; 381 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to New Jersey for Adam Larsson, June 29, 2016.

Hall was a top prospect, playing for Windsor in the OHL and blowing the doors off enough to convince the Oilers to take him with the first overall pick in 2010. Hall would spend the next six years with the Oilers, playing a total 381 games and getting 328 points. Until his last year with the team (when McDavid arrived) Hall was considered the face of the franchise and best player. While he had personal success, he was never able to lead the team to even respectability as they never fiisihed out of the bottom seven his entire time with the team. As is well known the trade of Hall to New Jersey sent shockwaves through Oiler fans and it was somewhat refreshing to see Hall so bitter about the trade (he was keen to stay). Hall would have his best season (so far) with the Devils in 17-18, getting 93 points, winning the Hart trophy and finally leading a team to the playoffs. He has continued to be good, but has not produced at the same level since as he's bounced around to Arizona, Buffalo and most recently Boston where he continues his career. It will always be a bit sad that he couldn't have more team success in Edmonton. Happy 30th Taylor.

Re: +November 14 [message #794406 is a reply to message #794400 ]
Sun, 14 November 2021 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Sun, 14 November 2021 11:44

Today we have a recently deceased ex-coach, a cup of coffee d-man, and a guy who is still frequently discussed despite being gone for over five years now.

Bryan Watson
Born: November 14, 1942 in Bancroft, ON.
Oilers Coaching Career: 1980-81; 18 games (0 playoff games).
Died: July 8, 2021 (age 78) in Saint Michaels Maryland of pneumonia.

"Bugsy" Watson had an almost twenty year career as a stay-at-home defenseman. He worked his way through the minors to become a regular NHLer by 1968. He played 878 NHL games for six different teams (Montreal, Detroit, Oakland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Washington) and finished his career in the WHA with Cincinnati before retiring in 1979. At the start of the 80-81 season he was hired to coach the Oilers when Sather was promoted to GM. He would have a short career as we was behind the bench for just 18 games (going 4-9-5) before Sather fired him and took over the job himself. It looks like Watson got out of hockey after this, moving to Virginia and starting his own pizza place. Waston died just four months ago in July 2021 at the age of 78 of complications from pneumonia. RIP Bryan.

Bobby Allen
Born: November 14, 1978 (turns 43 today) in Weymouth, Massachusetts.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Boston for Sean Brown, March 19, 2002.
Oilers Career: 2002-03; 1 game (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by New Jersey, July 22, 2004.

Allen was a d-man out of Boston College and drafted in the 2nd round by his hometown Bruins in 1998. He was in his first year of pro, playing with Providence when the Bruins dealt him to the Oilers. He would spend just over two years in the Oilers' organization, playing 122 games in the AHL with Hamilton and Toronto, and squeaking onto this thread by appearing in one game with the Oilers in 02-03. He signed with the Devils in 2004 and after two years in their AHL team he went back to Boston where he was able to finally stick in the NHL for a while getting in 50 games with the Bruins in 06-07 and 07-08. Herniated discs in his back forced him to retire after that. It looks like he has since lived a quiet life with his teacher wife in Massachusetts. Happy 43rd Bobby.

Taylor Hall
Born: November 14, 1991 (turns 30 today) in Calgary, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 1st overall, June 25, 2010.
Oilers Career: 2010-11 to 2015-16; 381 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to New Jersey for Adam Larsson, June 29, 2016.

Hall was a top prospect, playing for Windsor in the OHL and blowing the doors off enough to convince the Oilers to take him with the first overall pick in 2010. Hall would spend the next six years with the Oilers, playing a total 381 games and getting 328 points. Until his last year with the team (when McDavid arrived) Hall was considered the face of the franchise and best player. While he had personal success, he was never able to lead the team to even respectability as they never fiisihed out of the bottom seven his entire time with the team. As is well known the trade of Hall to New Jersey sent shockwaves through Oiler fans and it was somewhat refreshing to see Hall so bitter about the trade (he was keen to stay). Hall would have his best season (so far) with the Devils in 17-18, getting 93 points, winning the Hart trophy and finally leading a team to the playoffs. He has continued to be good, but has not produced at the same level since as he's bounced around to Arizona, Buffalo and most recently Boston where he continues his career. It will always be a bit sad that he couldn't have more team success in Edmonton. Happy 30th Taylor.

Man, it is full-on crazy that Taylor Hall is now 30. That doesn't even seem possible.

Re: +November 14 [message #794530 is a reply to message #794406 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

yeah, you'd think the Oilers would have had at least a little more success since Taylor vs Tyler...

November 15 [message #794471 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Mon, 15 November 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Just a single WHA alumnus today:

Ron Buchanan
Born: November 15, 1944 (turns 77 today) in Montreal, QU.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by Cleveland for Jim Harrison, October 26, 1974.
Oilers Career: 1974-75; 22 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Indianapolis for Murray Kennett and future considerations, January 23, 1975.

Buchanan was a centre who came out of the Oshawa Generals and turned pro in 1965. He spent the next seven years playing for many minor league teams in the CHL and AHL and despite good minor league point totals he got in just 5 NHL games in that time with Boston and St. Louis. The formation of the WHA in 1972 changed his fortunes. After a stellar debut in the league with Cleveland (81 points in 75 games) his games were limited by injury the following season. He was traded to the Oilers early in 74-75 and would play 22 games with the team, getting 15 points. The Oilers flipped him mid-season to the Racers and he would finish his career in Indianapolis before retiring in 1976. After that I can tell you he coached the Los Angeles Blades of the PHL for one season (78-79), but I can find nothing else on the man. Hope things are good Ron and happy 77th.

November 16 [message #794522 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Tue, 16 November 2021 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Another day another alumnus:

Josh Green
Born: November 16, 1977 (turns 44 today) in Camrose, AB.
Acquired by Oilers: Traded by NY Islanders (with Eric Brewer and 2nd round pick) for Roman Hamrlik, June 24, 2000.
Oilers Career: 2000-01 to 2002-03; 2011-12: 88 games (3 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to NY Rangers for future considerations, December 12, 2002.
Reacquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, July 3, 2011.
Left Oilers for good: Left to play in Finland in 2013.

Green was a decent prospect centre out of Medicine Hat, drafted in the 2nd round by the Kings in 1996. He would have a well travelled career that included two different stops with the Oilers. The first came early in his career when, after playing briefly with both the Kings and the Islanders he was packaged to the Oilers at the 2000 draft. He spent nearly the entire 2000-01 season on the injured list after dislocating his shoulder in his second game with Hamilton. He made his Oilers debut in the playoffs, playing 3 games in their 6 game loss to Dallas in 2001. He would play the entire 2001-02 and the beginning of 02-03 with Oilers as a third/fourth line forward, but was traded to the Rangers in December 2002. He would bounce around the NHL going to Washington, Calgary, Vancouver, and Anaheim. He would return to Edmonton, signing with them in 2011. He would play 7 more games as an Oiler during this second two year stay, but was mostly a veteran presence in OKC. He left for Finland in 2013 and finished his career with four seasons there before retiring in 2017. Since retiring he's moved to Winnipeg and has been an assistant coach with the WHL Winnipeg Ice, which he continues to this day. Happy 44th Josh.

November 17 [message #794604 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Wed, 17 November 2021 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

An old school, but familiar name today:

Blair MacDonald
Born: November 17, 1953 (turns 68 today) in Cornwall, ON.
Acquired by Oilers: Drafted 30th overall, June 1973.
Oilers Career: 1973-74 to 1975-76; 1977-78 to 1980-81: 470 games (26 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Traded to Indianapolis for future considerations, December 8, 1975.
Reacquired by Oilers: Traded by New England (with Dave Inkpen and Mike Zuke) for Kevin Devine, Rusty Patenaude, Claude St. Sauveur, and Barry Wilkins, September 9, 1977.
Left Oilers for good: Traded to Vancouver (with Lars-Gunner Petersson) for Ken Berry and Gary Lariviere, March 10, 1981.

MacDonald was a gifted offensive winger from Cornwall, drafted in both the NHL by the Kings and the WHA by the Oilers. He chose to sign with the Oilers in 1973 played two and a half years with them before being dealt to Indianapolis in December 1975. After a year and a half with the Racers he returned to the Oilers in a big multi-player deal in 1977. His point totals shot up in this second stint in Edmonton. He had seasons of 68 and 71 points in his last two WHA seasons, and then exploded in 79-80 with 94 points (top ten in the league) in his first NHL season playing with Gretzky and Callighen on the famed GMC line. He was named Oilers' captain in March 1980 after the trade of Ron Chipperfield. He would play another 51 games (43 points) with the Oilers in 80-81, but the influx of great young forwards that season made him expendable and he was dealt to Vancouver at the 1981 trade deadline. His fortunes went down in Vancouver as he would be demoted to the minors by 82-83. He played a couple of years in Austria before retiring in 1986. He has the distinction of being one of the few players (along with Callighen and Semenko) to play at least 100 games with the Oilers in both the WHA and NHL. After he retired he became a head coach in both Austria and in the IHL and has worked for central scouting in the NHL. Happy 68th BJ.

November 18 [message #794663 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Thu, 18 November 2021 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

In todays Oiler alumni birthday news, the most infamous owner turns 80 while a minor depth player gets to half that. Full story below:

Peter Pocklington
Born: November 18, 1941 (turns 80 today) in Regina, SK.
Oilers Owner: 1976 to 1998

Pocklington was born in Regina, but grew up in London, Ontario. He started out as a car dealer in Ontario, but moved to Edmonton in 1971 and ran a successful Ford dealership. With his business booming, he bought a part of the Oilers (with Nelson Skalbania) from Bill Hunter in 1976 and was the sole owner by 1977. He famously was able to purchase Wayne Gretzky from Indianapolis in 1978, and even more impressively was able to keep him when the Oilers moved into the NHL in 1979. Pocklington was mostly a hands off owner when it came to running the Oilers, allowing Sather free reign, but this changed in 1988 when he sold Gretzky to the Kings because he needed cash to support some of his other businesses, making him public enemy number one not only in Edmonton but throughout Canada. As the the Oilers started to lose money in the 90s, Pocklington threatened to move the team more than once, but the team was eventually sold to the the Edmonton Investor's Group, ending Pocklington's 22 year history with the team. There are many interesting twists to Pocklington's life including a hostage taking, the Gainer's strike, and a run against Brian Mulroney to be the PC leader (you can read his biography for all the details). He has been the target of many lawsuits for his questionable business dealings but has avoided prison time. Despite some recent health problems, Pocklington is still going, enjoying his retirement in his California home. Even the loathing Edmonton used to have for him has waned, as proven by his standing ovation at the 2014 reunion of the 1984 Stanley Cup group. Happy 80th Peter.

Chris Minard
Born: November 18, 1981 (turns 40 today) in Owen Sound, ON.
Position: Centre (shoots left)
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, July 13, 2009.
Oilers Career: 2009-10; 5 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Detroit, July 2, 2010.

Minard (who is the younger brother of another Oiler alumnus Mike Minard) was a centre out of Owen Sound in the OHL. He went undrafted but toiled to carve himself a long pro-career. After five years in the ECHL and AHL he got his first NHL shot with the Penguins, where he played 35 games over two seasons from 2007 to 2009. He then signed with the Oilers in 2009 and would play 5 games with the team in 09-10, but the rest in Springfield. After two more AHL seasons he went to Germany and would play five full seasons in DEL before retiring in 2017. He's found work as a hockey trainer since then. Happy 40th Chris.

Re: November 18 [message #794666 is a reply to message #794663 ]
Thu, 18 November 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Thu, 18 November 2021 10:11

Peter Pocklington

Even the loathing Edmonton used to have for him has waned, as proven by his standing ovation at the 2014 reunion of the 1984 Stanley Cup group.

I still loathe Peter Pocklington. If he wasn't such a hot mess, that Oilers dynasty could have been a force until the mid-1990s. The sell-off of the Oilers best players robbed the world of an epic clash between Gretzky & the Oilers and Lemieux and the Penguins.

Also if the Oilers have Gretzky in 1989, maybe the hated Flames don't win the Cup.

Of course, you've also got the massive salary inflation following the McNall era which maybe doesn't happen without Gretzky there, and which badly damaged the Oilers ability to compete for over a decade.

The team may still have had to be broken up eventually, and salaries eventually would have climbed with Eagleson falling out of the picture but still...the what ifs are pretty hard to think of.

So I still think of Pocklington as a villain and a crook, who tried to blame Gretzky and his wife for a trade that he solely instigated, and has lied and swindled people ever since he left Edmonton.

Re: November 18 [message #794671 is a reply to message #794666 ]
Thu, 18 November 2021 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 18 November 2021 10:55

Peter Pocklington

Even the loathing Edmonton used to have for him has waned, as proven by his standing ovation at the 2014 reunion of the 1984 Stanley Cup group.

I still loathe Peter Pocklington. If he wasn't such a hot mess, that Oilers dynasty could have been a force until the mid-1990s. The sell-off of the Oilers best players robbed the world of an epic clash between Gretzky & the Oilers and Lemieux and the Penguins.

Also if the Oilers have Gretzky in 1989, maybe the hated Flames don't win the Cup.

Of course, you've also got the massive salary inflation following the McNall era which maybe doesn't happen without Gretzky there, and which badly damaged the Oilers ability to compete for over a decade.

The team may still have had to be broken up eventually, and salaries eventually would have climbed with Eagleson falling out of the picture but still...the what ifs are pretty hard to think of.

So I still think of Pocklington as a villain and a crook, who tried to blame Gretzky and his wife for a trade that he solely instigated, and has lied and swindled people ever since he left Edmonton.

I don't loathe Pockington and think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

The sports world and salaries were changing in major sports at that time no matter what Pocklington did. The 'what ifs' are fun / depressing but they ignore the fact Edmonton was not socially or economically able to keep up with the rest of the (sporting) world in the late 80s. Both Edmonton and Pocklington simply fell behind the times with no easy way to catch up. Truthfully, I think he's a rather convenient scapegoat who only could have handled the end of the 80s better if the beginning of the 80s never happened.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: November 18 [message #794676 is a reply to message #794671 ]
Thu, 18 November 2021 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 18 November 2021 11:57

Adam wrote on Thu, 18 November 2021 10:55

Peter Pocklington

I don't loathe Pockington and think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

The sports world and salaries were changing in major sports at that time no matter what Pocklington did. The 'what ifs' are fun / depressing but they ignore the fact Edmonton was not socially or economically able to keep up with the rest of the (sporting) world in the late 80s. Both Edmonton and Pocklington simply fell behind the times with no easy way to catch up. Truthfully, I think he's a rather convenient scapegoat who only could have handled the end of the 80s better if the beginning of the 80s never happened.

I think there's at least another 5 years there if not for Pocklington's own troubles, in part because all he ever did was build houses of cards that eventually fall over.

If he doesn't deal Gretzky in 1988, then it doesn't start the acceleration as fast, and it also doesn't burn all the other stars. Kurri quit after the 1990 win and Messier was indicating he wanted to out after 1991. I don't think if Gretzky wasn't sold off that you see them all burn out on the team that fast. It's not like today where they were asking for millions of dollars. I mean, the Coffey dispute in 1987 was like a $35,000 difference. That's the difference between keeping the best offensive defenceman in history or trading him.

And he might have given up on even that $35K until Pocklington went to the media and called him names.

I give Pocklington credit for the personal services contract with Wayne Gretzky. Had he not had that, and had Gretzky not refused the NHL's request to rescind it, then instead he's drafted in 1979 and unless he gets passed over 20x, he doesn't become an Oiler. The NHL was out to screw over the WHA teams (for example, invalidating our protection of Bengt Gustafsson in the expansion draft and not even letting us protect someone else in his place) so if not for that, I think there's no chance they let us keep 99. Not sure I give him a ton of credit for anything else. He wrote cheques and he was a crazy rich guy who would do weird crazy things, but I don't think he inspired the success or that if we had had some other less quirky owner we wouldn't have been successful with those players and that management in place.

Maybe I'm selling him a bit short, but still. I hate that guy.

Re: November 18 [message #794771 is a reply to message #794676 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Aah, Peter Pocklington at 80 still controversial. I don't hate the guy (or anyone for that matter), but he certainly has raised my blood pressure often over the years.

I'm sympathetic to Paul Coffey and his exit from Oilerville, but Pocklington hurt a lot of people way deeper by destroying the food processing industry in Edmonton. Growing up in north Edmonton, many of my childhood friends had parents who had their careers and benefits stolen by Pocklington when he hired scabs to operate Gainers. He did screw Oiler fans, but at least he gave us some glory years.

The guy almost changed Canadian history by trying to lead the Progressive Conservative party at their 1983 Convention to replace Joe Clark. Of course Mulroney won and Pocklington was knocked out of the race in the first ballot when he only received 102 votes, but a lot of the planks in his platform came to fruition, like the Federal government selling Air Canada and other crown corporations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Progressive_Conservative_ leadership_election

Pockligton was deeply involved in Edmonton's all-too-brief time as a self proclaimed City of Champions Besides the Oilers, the Trappers of the PCL and Drillers of the NASL (indoor and outdoor versions) were owned by Pocklington. Those were possibly the brightest of the many shining moments in Edmonton sports history.

November 19 [message #794780 is a reply to message #771063 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

See if you remember this blast from the past:

Petr Sykora
Born: November 19, 1976 (turns 45 today) in Pizen, Czechoslovakia.
Position: Right Wing (shoots left).
Acquired by Oilers: Signed as free agent, August 11, 2006.
Oilers Career: 2006-07; 82 games (0 playoff games).
Left Oilers: Signed as free agent by Pittsburgh, July 2, 2007.

Sykora was a high scoring winger from the Czech Republic. The Devils made him a first round pick in 1995 and he immediately joined the team for the 95-96 season. He would spend seven years in New Jersey, developing into an elite winger by 1998, putting together seasons of 72, 68, and 81 points. After a drop in production in 02-03, he was dealt to the Ducks, and after two and a half years in Anaheim went to the Rangers for a half season, before becoming UFA in 2006. The Oilers were able to sign him and there were big hopes he could stem the huge losses they had suffered that offseason. He had a decent season in Edmonton, playing all 82 games and getting 53 points (tied for the team lead), but it was an awful season for the team and Sykora decided he didn't want to stick around. He signed in 2007 with Pittsburgh and finished his career with stops in Minnesota and New Jersey (again) as well as stints in the Czech Republic, Russia, and Switzerland. He retired in 2013. He eventually settled in New Jersey and is currently an assistant coach with a U13 team there. Happy 45th Petr.

Re: November 19 [message #794782 is a reply to message #794780 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 10:20

Petr Sykora

Sykora was a high scoring winger from the Czech Republic. The Devils made him a first round pick in 1995 and he immediately joined the team for the 95-96 season. He would spend seven years in New Jersey, developing into an elite winger by 1998, putting together seasons of 72, 68, and 81 points. After a drop in production in 02-03, he was dealt to the Ducks, and after two and a half years in Anaheim went to the Rangers for a half season, before becoming UFA in 2006. The Oilers were able to sign him and there were big hopes he could stem the huge losses they had suffered that offseason. He had a decent season in Edmonton, playing all 82 games and getting 53 points (tied for the team lead), but it was an awful season for the team and Sykora decided he didn't want to stick around. He signed in 2007 with Pittsburgh and finished his career with stops in Minnesota and New Jersey (again) as well as stints in the Czech Republic, Russia, and Switzerland. He retired in 2013. He eventually settled in New Jersey and is currently an assistant coach with a U13 team there. Happy 45th Petr.

Old Grey Monkey thought I looked like the spitting image of Petr Sykora. I never saw the resemblance personally.

He was a great pickup for a year during a pretty dark time.

Re: November 19 [message #794786 is a reply to message #794780 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

benv wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 09:20

Petr Sykora

Sykora the Score-ah!

I was pretty pumped about this signing back in the day.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: November 19 [message #794803 is a reply to message #794786 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Sykora was the epitome of consistent. The man scored 20+ goals in a season eleven times. He scored at a 20+ goal pace 13 times.

Clean house or bust

Re: November 19 [message #794804 is a reply to message #794803 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 14:16

Sykora was the epitome of consistent. The man scored 20+ goals in a season eleven times. He scored at a 20+ goal pace 13 times.

He was Jordan Eberle before Jordan Eberle.

Re: November 19 [message #794807 is a reply to message #794804 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 12:52

Except Sykora showed up in the playoffs.

Re: November 19 [message #794808 is a reply to message #794807 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 16:19

Sykora scored at .56 Points per game in the playoffs, and Eberle has been .49, surprisingly closer than I thought it would be. Sykora got to play for some great teams though, but had a tendency to disappear in the Stanley Cup Final (I know terrible joke).

Re: November 19 [message #794818 is a reply to message #794808 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 13:25

Sykora scored at .56 Points per game in the playoffs, and Eberle has been .49, surprisingly closer than I thought it would be. Sykora got to play for some great teams though, but had a tendency to disappear in the Stanley Cup Final (I know terrible joke).

Eberle is at 36 points in 62 playoff games - 0.58 points/game.

https://www.nhl.com/player/jordan-eberle-8474586?stats=caree r-p-nhl&season=null

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: November 19 [message #794826 is a reply to message #794818 ]
Sat, 20 November 2021 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 18:20

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 13:25

Eberle is at 36 points in 62 playoff games - 0.58 points/game.

https://www.nhl.com/player/jordan-eberle-8474586?stats=caree r-p-nhl&season=null

Dang it, must have fat fingered the calculator. Even more comparable to Sykora now, but lacking the great goatee.

Re: November 19 [message #794813 is a reply to message #794807 ]
Fri, 19 November 2021 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 19 November 2021 14:19

Wait...you hate Eberle too???

Pages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #36)
Next Topic:Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #35)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca