This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794176]
Tue, 09 November 2021 20:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Detroit to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794177 is a reply to message #794176 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Great job by Skinner. Not sure where the rest of the team was the first half of the game.

Can’t win them all. Refs are still a joke.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794178 is a reply to message #794176 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

The old try to win by playing ~1 period trick.

Didn't work.

McDrai together isn't really a better team.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794182 is a reply to message #794178 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 23:14

It really isn't. The bump to the first line is not close to making up for the drop on the 2nd line. Or the 3rd.

For those shifts after a PK or whatever fine, but as a rule, they should be driving their own lines. RNH is so much better as a winger than a C.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794183 is a reply to message #794182 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 05:55

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 23:14

It really isn't. The bump to the first line is not close to making up for the drop on the 2nd line. Or the 3rd.

For those shifts after a PK or whatever fine, but as a rule, they should be driving their own lines. RNH is so much better as a winger than a C.

I actually really like the strategy of loading up after a PP, or after a tired line ices the puck against us. But to default to it makes the team easier to defend.

I do sometimes wonder if Tippett doesn't have a similar message to McLellan in that the top guys are expected to score and the bottom guys are just expected not to get scored on. We're so persistently pathetic in the bottom six that at some point you have to wonder if it's more of a design flaw in the system than simply always picking the wrong players. Foegele has been relatively invisible outside of a handful of games - and I liked how he looked early. Ryan hasn't done much. Perlini after the hot pre-season has only 3 shots in 8 games. He's not a threat at all. Benson's done little when he's in. Turris and Shore are still sub-par NHLers. But when everyone looks like they forgot where the opposition's net is, I don't wonder if maybe the message is to just make sure they limit the damage against (which is a terrible strategy).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794185 is a reply to message #794183 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 11:25

We're so persistently pathetic in the bottom six that at some point you have to wonder if it's more of a design flaw in the system than simply always picking the wrong players.

I thought Perlini looked pretty good last night. Had a few chances and a few big hits. McLeod is fast. Had a decent chance as well. Maybe because of the dearth of quality bottom 6 guys we've had my threshold to be impressed is low, but I thought they both look decent.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794189 is a reply to message #794185 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 08:45

We're so persistently pathetic in the bottom six that at some point you have to wonder if it's more of a design flaw in the system than simply always picking the wrong players.

I thought Perlini looked pretty good last night. Had a few chances and a few big hits. McLeod is fast. Had a decent chance as well. Maybe because of the dearth of quality bottom 6 guys we've had my threshold to be impressed is low, but I thought they both look decent.

Matheson isn't a fan of McLeod apparently:

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@jimmathesonnhl

Ryan McLeod didn't move dial much in his recall from Bakersfield, and with just 7 mins against Detroit, he hasn't won over coach Tippett. Perlini showed more, to be honest

It's pretty funny that 7 minutes of action is all it takes for him to come to this conclusion.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794192 is a reply to message #794189 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 13:48

Mike wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 08:45

Matheson isn't a fan of McLeod apparently:

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@jimmathesonnhl

Ryan McLeod didn't move dial much in his recall from Bakersfield, and with just 7 mins against Detroit, he hasn't won over coach Tippett. Perlini showed more, to be honest

It's pretty funny that 7 minutes of action is all it takes for him to come to this conclusion.

Well I guess since Matheson didn't like him, I guess I should revise my opinion.

Maybe the Rangers would take him for Kravstov :)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794179 is a reply to message #794176 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

So much for this fantastic depth we were led to believe to have

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794181 is a reply to message #794176 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

1st goal is all on Barry (despite KooKoo's stupid pinch & cough up prior to it), what the f was Barry doing, skidding along the ice trying to stop a pass over to nobody, it looked as bad as it was.

Plays died with Yamo, no jam, looked so weak in puck battles, he erased himself out of plays. looks like he didn't step in a gym all summer.

Except for the 3rd goal, Skinner had a great game, he looks like he'll be a good NHL goalie, positive signs.

Not many other positive signs, team was out skated, dopey play. So much for a 3rd line scoring threat.

Kassian looks like he's out, interesting to see who's next on the call up list, Seth Griffin?

Refs still an ongoing joke.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 November 2021 23:29]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794194 is a reply to message #794181 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 23:28

1st goal is all on Barry (despite KooKoo's stupid pinch & cough up prior to it), what the f was Barry doing, skidding along the ice trying to stop a pass over to nobody, it looked as bad as it was.

Plays died with Yamo, no jam, looked so weak in puck battles, he erased himself out of plays. looks like he didn't step in a gym all summer.

Except for the 3rd goal, Skinner had a great game, he looks like he'll be a good NHL goalie, positive signs.

Not many other positive signs, team was out skated, dopey play. So much for a 3rd line scoring threat.

Kassian looks like he's out, interesting to see who's next on the call up list, Seth Griffin?

Refs still an ongoing joke.

Yamo has definitely been a disappointment as he really doesn't look like he's improved.

The whole puck moving with the goalies thing is really starting to bother me. When Smith is in, I get it and why the coaches like it. He's the best in the league by a lot and it's a weapon that no other teams have. BUT he's a unicorn. No one in the league is like him so expecting the other goalies to do similar things when it's not in their skillset isn't realistic. It's literally costing them goals and in this case the game. The Oilers were flat last night, they didn't deserve to win but the game winner was a direct result of Skinner miss handling the puck. If he doesn't do that or feel compelled to do that because of Smith, that goal doesn't happen and at worst the Oilers squeak out with an underserved point and going into OT with McD and Leon, I am taking the Oilers 10 out of 10 times in OT.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794196 is a reply to message #794194 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I have the replay of the game on while I work, and just saw the first goal. My god Barrie was bad on that. I laughed seeing it a second time.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794209 is a reply to message #794196 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 11:13

I have the replay of the game on while I work, and just saw the first goal. My god Barrie was bad on that. I laughed seeing it a second time.

Yeah that was like something you'd see on a top 20 hockey Bloopers. Comical.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794197 is a reply to message #794194 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 14:48

The whole puck moving with the goalies thing is really starting to bother me. When Smith is in, I get it and why the coaches like it. He's the best in the league by a lot and it's a weapon that no other teams have. BUT he's a unicorn. No one in the league is like him so expecting the other goalies to do similar things when it's not in their skillset isn't realistic. It's literally costing them goals and in this case the game. The Oilers were flat last night, they didn't deserve to win but the game winner was a direct result of Skinner miss handling the puck. If he doesn't do that or feel compelled to do that because of Smith, that goal doesn't happen and at worst the Oilers squeak out with an underserved point and going into OT with McD and Leon, I am taking the Oilers 10 out of 10 times in OT.

Despite the obvious gaffe, I thought Skinner looked pretty good handling the puck. I'm OK with him developing that skill as a 23 year old on a team that was 9-1. It definitely is a plus when you have a guy back there who can play the puck like Smith does. Koskinen on the other hand, he looks like junk playing the puck, and at 33 I have to think chances for development in that area are fairly limited.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794198 is a reply to message #794197 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I thought Skinner was good so it gives me hope they have something in him but from top to bottom, this league is so close, you can't give teams free ones like that. The team played lousy for 2 period but that gaff literally cost them at least 1 point. Thankfully given their extremely good start, you can live with it but it can't happen again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794199 is a reply to message #794198 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 12:21

I thought Skinner was good so it gives me hope they have something in him but from top to bottom, this league is so close, you can't give teams free ones like that. The team played lousy for 2 period but that gaff literally cost them at least 1 point. Thankfully given their extremely good start, you can live with it but it can't happen again.

With the team top 5 in shots against per game, it will 100% happen again. The depth is improved, but with the defensive issues, quiet nights for McD and Drai still could end up as losses more often than not.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794201 is a reply to message #794199 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 11:36

With the team top 5 in shots against per game, it will 100% happen again. The depth is improved, but with the defensive issues, quiet nights for McD and Drai still could end up as losses more often than not.

Yeah 9-2 but I still don’t see a lot different from the previous two years. We have the best 2 forwards in the game but still are only +1 for 5v5 goal differential.

The best powerplay, a strong start to goaltending, and a Gretzky-like season by McDavid is covering up the flaws once again. Those things can get you wins in the regular season but we all know what happens when the refs put their whistles down in the playoffs and McDavid wears a Kesler-Pionk shaped backpack all series.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794202 is a reply to message #794199 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 12:36

I personally do not care that the Oilers give up a lot of shots, for me it's where they are coming from. Last night wasn't their best game but generally I don't think they are giving up a ton of quality chances. They have also in my opinion played a lot of teams who's game plan is to just throw everything at the net and hope something happens.

I also do not think the Oilers will ever play a defensive, shot suppressing style when they have McD and Leon running up and down the ice. McD and Leons lines flat out give up chances against. They always have, probably always will given their supreme offensive abilities and the style they play. McD in particular is a rush player. I don't think we will ever see McD's line grinding it in the corner and just cycling and cycling and chewing up clock until they finally bang it in. I think they could probably give up a few less shots but I think they will always give up lots given the players they have so I think for some fans to continually beat on this drum as a red flag is pointless because it's never going to happen. Not unless some fans want McD and Leon to completely alter their game, abandon their supreme offensive side and turn themselves into Patrice Bergeron or Toews in their primes. Those 2 were damn good, 2 way centers but the never came close to the offensive numbers that McD and Leon put up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794207 is a reply to message #794202 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 13:00

I personally do not care that the Oilers give up a lot of shots, for me it's where they are coming from. Last night wasn't their best game but generally I don't think they are giving up a ton of quality chances. They have also in my opinion played a lot of teams who's game plan is to just throw everything at the net and hope something happens.

I also do not think the Oilers will ever play a defensive, shot suppressing style when they have McD and Leon running up and down the ice. McD and Leons lines flat out give up chances against. They always have, probably always will given their supreme offensive abilities and the style they play. McD in particular is a rush player. I don't think we will ever see McD's line grinding it in the corner and just cycling and cycling and chewing up clock until they finally bang it in. I think they could probably give up a few less shots but I think they will always give up lots given the players they have so I think for some fans to continually beat on this drum as a red flag is pointless because it's never going to happen. Not unless some fans want McD and Leon to completely alter their game, abandon their supreme offensive side and turn themselves into Patrice Bergeron or Toews in their primes. Those 2 were damn good, 2 way centers but the never came close to the offensive numbers that McD and Leon put up.

I agree there are different types of shots allowed, but the oilers are allowing as many high danger chances against as they're getting. Spotting your opponents a 3 goal lead isn't a great strategy long term. McDavid and Draisaitl don't need to change anything about the way they play. The D needs a good rental at the deadline and the goaltending needs a healthy smith or a trade.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794210 is a reply to message #794207 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 15:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 13:00

I agree there are different types of shots allowed, but the oilers are allowing as many high danger chances against as they're getting. Spotting your opponents a 3 goal lead isn't a great strategy long term. McDavid and Draisaitl don't need to change anything about the way they play. The D needs a good rental at the deadline and the goaltending needs a healthy smith or a trade.

I think the Oilers need a big, vet, shut down 3rd pairing guy on the left. That screams deadline deal as those guys tend to be available.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794214 is a reply to message #794210 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 16:20

I think the Oilers need a big, vet, shut down 3rd pairing guy on the left. That screams deadline deal as those guys tend to be available.

Gio?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11) [message #794215 is a reply to message #794214 ]
Wed, 10 November 2021 21:46 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 19:12

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 10 November 2021 16:20

Gio?

That would be Grant Fuhr as a Flame weird. But yeah he might be a good fit.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #12)
Next Topic:Klefbom considering Injury Options
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca