This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794106 is a reply to message #794105 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 13:23

Adrean wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 13:13

Oct. 10, 1980: Oilers retire Al Hamilton's jersey No. 3 at Northlands Coliseum prior to a 7-4 loss to the Quebec Nordiques.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/edmonton-oilers-history-team-retires-al-hamiltons-no-3-oct -10-1980

Thanks! There also was another night when they officially hung the banner...Probably around 2003-2005 I think. I believe it was up before Messier's.

The only reference to a date that I could find was that the banner raising happened in 1998

https://www.classicauctions.net/lot-98835.aspx

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794107 is a reply to message #794106 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Adrean wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 13:57

Oct. 10, 1980: Oilers retire Al Hamilton's jersey No. 3 at Northlands Coliseum prior to a 7-4 loss to the Quebec Nordiques.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/edmonton-oilers-history-team-retires-al-hamiltons-no-3-oct -10-1980

Thanks! There also was another night when they officially hung the banner...Probably around 2003-2005 I think. I believe it was up before Messier's.

The only reference to a date that I could find was that the banner raising happened in 1998

I found another referring to the same thing...but in 2001. Makes more sense if it was the latter. I don't think it was up before Gretzky's.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794108 is a reply to message #794107 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 14:01

I found another referring to the same thing...but in 2001. Makes more sense if it was the latter. I don't think it was up before Gretzky's.

You are right, I was Gretzky's was the first banner to be raised and I also found the 2001 reference, which makes more sense

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/a-significant-piece-of-the-oilers-past-is-now-in-the-rafte rs-of-rexall-place

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794115 is a reply to message #794108 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adrean wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 14:09

You are right, I was Gretzky's was the first banner to be raised and I also found the 2001 reference, which makes more sense

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/a-significant-piece-of-the-oilers-past-is-now-in-the-rafte rs-of-rexall-place

Let's not forget that the Oilers won the night Garth went up to the rafters, on the road....but lost their next home game to the Preds that year.
confused2

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794116 is a reply to message #794115 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 23:07

Adrean wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 14:09

Let's not forget that the Oilers won the night Garth went up to the rafters, on the road....but lost their next home game to the Preds that year.
confused2

Yeah, but Nashville was not losing on any night connected to Garth.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794123 is a reply to message #794103 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 12:45

Was curious about this, so I looked it up:

Wayne Gretzky - Oct 1, 1999 vs NYR - 1-1 Tie
Jari Kurri - Oct 6, 2001 vs PHX - 6-2 Win
Grant Fuhr - Oct 9, 2003 vs SJS - 5-2 Win
Paul Coffey - Oct 18, 2005 vs PHX - 4-3 OTL
Mark Messier - Feb 27, 2007 vs PHX - 3-0 Loss
Glenn Anderson - January 18th, 2009 vs PHX - 6-3 Win
Rod Phillips - March 29, 2011 vs. LAK - 2-0 Loss
Glen Sather - Dec 11, 2015 vs. NYR - 7-5 Win
Kevin Lowe - Nov 5th, 2021 vs NYR - 6-5 OTW

So with the win Friday, the Oilers have 5 wins, two losses, one tie and one overtime loss. I know there was a night for Al Hamilton in the last couple decades, but I have no idea when that was and couldn't find it in a quick Google search, so I haven't counted it.

Definitely, the most memorable for things other than the banner-raising was the Messier game following the Smyth trade, so it's understandable that jumps out in people's memories. I've been at all but the Fuhr and Phillips games, and the only ones I specifically remembered outside of the Messier night were that it was a tie in a bit of a snoozefest for Gretzky, and a barn-burner of a win on Sather night. I will probably not forget Lowe Night any time soon!

Looking this up, I almost forgot that Gretzky was involved with the Coyotes, necessitating the Phoenix team being a part of so many of our ceremonies...

Stellar research on this Adam my friend! Well done and those that looked up Al Hamilton night.

I remember the Messier jersey retirement the most because of how the air was sucked out of the building the Moose didn't really get to feel the love because the fanbase was seething at losing Ryan Smyth. Jari Kurri night was a great one because he wore his old gear and stood in front of the light as it made it memorable. Messier did the same thing too, but Lowe I don't think could because he seemed to be shaky a little bit? I don't know anything, just speculation there.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794126 is a reply to message #794123 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 10:09

I remember the Messier jersey retirement the most because of how the air was sucked out of the building the Moose didn't really get to feel the love because the fanbase was seething at losing Ryan Smyth. Jari Kurri night was a great one because he wore his old gear and stood in front of the light as it made it memorable. Messier did the same thing too, but Lowe I don't think could because he seemed to be shaky a little bit? I don't know anything, just speculation there.

He is a lot older, and I think the fanfare was down on the Lowe tribute. I think there was too much danger of crowd restlessness if the event was too self-indulgent. Even the Oilers are aware that there's more sensitivity with Lowe than others.

I think Kurri took a pass from Gretzky and then shot in to the empty net. Coffey did a quick lap of the ice in uniform and Messier brought out the Stanley Cup and skated a lap. I wasn't a fan of that - I'm superstitious about things with the Cup when you haven't just won it.

I believe Anderson and Fuhr put on the gear too. Gretzky just wore a suit and rode around in a pickup truck to an endless ovation.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #794132 is a reply to message #794126 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 11:19 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 10:17

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 10:09

He is a lot older, and I think the fanfare was down on the Lowe tribute. I think there was too much danger of crowd restlessness if the event was too self-indulgent. Even the Oilers are aware that there's more sensitivity with Lowe than others.

I think Kurri took a pass from Gretzky and then shot in to the empty net. Coffey did a quick lap of the ice in uniform and Messier brought out the Stanley Cup and skated a lap. I wasn't a fan of that - I'm superstitious about things with the Cup when you haven't just won it.

I believe Anderson and Fuhr put on the gear too. Gretzky just wore a suit and rode around in a pickup truck to an endless ovation.

Lowe had to retire from vertigo, he might not be too sturdy on his feet now that he's an old man.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks
Next Topic:Pregame: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca