Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794083]
Sun, 07 November 2021 20:39 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Coach Tippett announced today that Devin Shore will miss 4-6 weeks after sustaining a lower-body injury on Friday. Speedy recovery for 14!

Shore out, just as he was making his way up the lineup, saving Tippett from himself.

Worse news is that Mike Smith wasn't with the team again amidst some rumours of a set-back. Some speculation that we might finally see Stuart Skinner's second NHL game. Gotta hope it's not as uneven as his first...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794085 is a reply to message #794083 ]
Sun, 07 November 2021 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Give Skinner a couple starts. If he doesn’t live up to the organization’s expectations then it’s time to find a backup. I am being kind when I say we are paper thin at goal.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2021 18:51]

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794086 is a reply to message #794083 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 07 November 2021 19:39

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Coach Tippett announced today that Devin Shore will miss 4-6 weeks after sustaining a lower-body injury on Friday. Speedy recovery for 14!

Shore out, just as he was making his way up the lineup, saving Tippett from himself.

Worse news is that Mike Smith wasn't with the team again amidst some rumours of a set-back. Some speculation that we might finally see Stuart Skinner's second NHL game. Gotta hope it's not as uneven as his first...

If I'm Holland, I'm making calls about a goalie. Smith already had a injury history and Kosk can't keep this up for long with out atleast some relief. If not an equal or upgrade.

Maybe Fleury could be had from the imploding Hawks.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794087 is a reply to message #794086 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 02:34

If I'm Holland, I'm making calls about a goalie. Smith already had a injury history and Kosk can't keep this up for long with out atleast some relief. If not an equal or upgrade.

If only it could have been foreseen that there could be challenges with this goaltending tandem...

I still can't believe we signed Smith for two years. What's the over/under on how many games he actually plays in that time?

The top end of this team is so ridiculously good that it disguises some big flaws in the roster. The bottom six has been getting chewed up - even with Ryan and Foegele in the mix - and we basically have two bottom pairing plus Russell who should probably be farmed out and never seen again now. (It's also pretty laughable that Shore and Koekkoek both also got 2-year deals...)

I do think the Shore injury is possibly a blessing in disguise as it means Tippett loses that go-to player - a positive since he is a black hole for puck possession. He's already -3 in 8 games on a team that has won seven of those eight games. He's Tippett's new Patrick Russell (although with slightly better hands).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794093 is a reply to message #794087 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

You do realize that both of those deals can be buried in AHL with ZERO cap hit? Man, you are that guy at a party that has to find something to complain about right? The first two round of finger foods were great, but only plain chips and dip for later in the night was a huge fail. Terrible party planning.

But mom, I want my NHL team to have 4 perfect lines and 6 great d! And and and I need great players in the AHL in case anyone gets hurt and and I don't want to lose any games ever!

For the love of hockey, enjoy this run, this team. Ceci is playing like he did with the Pens, Keith is being a responsible D on most occasions. Barrie is coming around. Everything won't be perfect all the time, but that is sports man - chill out and enjoy the show. Holland, like Shapiro and Atkins in Toronto well just get no love from the fans, who wear blinders. Has he made all the perfect moves? No not at all. But it is not near as bad as someone of you make out.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794095 is a reply to message #794093 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 11:01

You do realize that both of those deals can be buried in AHL with ZERO cap hit? Man, you are that guy at a party that has to find something to complain about right? The first two round of finger foods were great, but only plain chips and dip for later in the night was a huge fail. Terrible party planning.

But mom, I want my NHL team to have 4 perfect lines and 6 great d! And and and I need great players in the AHL in case anyone gets hurt and and I don't want to lose any games ever!

For the love of hockey, enjoy this run, this team. Ceci is playing like he did with the Pens, Keith is being a responsible D on most occasions. Barrie is coming around. Everything won't be perfect all the time, but that is sports man - chill out and enjoy the show. Holland, like Shapiro and Atkins in Toronto well just get no love from the fans, who wear blinders. Has he made all the perfect moves? No not at all. But it is not near as bad as someone of you make out.

As a fan, I appreciate the hot start. It has been a weak schedule, but they've still done what they needed to do and put the boots to most of the teams they've faced. I hope it continues.

I don't however, think that should blind us (and more importantly management) to the flaws. They are significant, and they are liable to cost us as they have in the past if they aren't addressed.

It is notable that Holland signed pretty much everyone to contracts beyond this year. That's an unforced error in my mind because it locks up contract spots. There's a limit to the number of veteran players you can play in the minors, and really, the minors should be for player development, not as a place to stick all the old mistakes your management made. Also, there's always the fear that they Oilers pull a Gryba and needlessly buy a guy out for "being a good soldier" incurring the cap hit even when they can avoid it.

Keith had his worst game as an Oiler on Friday night. He was dreadful. Ceci wasn't a lot better. The team had an incredible comeback, driven by the great players at the top of the roster (only one of whom was acquired by Holland).

The goal of the team is to win a Stanley Cup, right? Well, then shouldn't the focus be on getting the strongest team possible? Isn't it important to understand your weaknesses as you do that? I think some people believe that to criticize means you aren't enjoying the hockey. I am - I just am capable of also analyzing the team while doing so. I think most in here are, which is why this is a better message board than most.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794098 is a reply to message #794095 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

When you have the clear goaltender of the future (Koski) in net you don’t waste starts on a youngster like Skinner. Mikko clearly addressed all of his weaknesses this off-season and is due for a big extension and raise. Might even make Smith expendable and you know teams would jump on the opportunity to grab one of last year’s top goaltenders (locked up for an extra year!)

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794089 is a reply to message #794086 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

I've got questions this year about Fleury's 5 hole. It's busted in the open position.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794090 is a reply to message #794089 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 09:18

If I'm Holland, I'm making calls about a goalie. Smith already had a injury history and Kosk can't keep this up for long with out at least some relief. If not an equal or upgrade.

I've got questions this year about Fleury's 5 hole. It's busted in the open position.

Yeah I saw the game highlights vs. Winnipeg.. yikes.. I was previously thinking that Fleury might be a good add at the deadline.. after those high lights.. it was more like "careful what you wish for" .. he looked like a sieve.. if he'd been in an Oilers jersey most would be running him out of town..

For reference.. Fleury's save percentage is currently 0.881

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794091 is a reply to message #794090 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 13:47

If I'm Holland, I'm making calls about a goalie. Smith already had a injury history and Kosk can't keep this up for long with out at least some relief. If not an equal or upgrade.

Yeah I saw the game highlights vs. Winnipeg.. yikes.. I was previously thinking that Fleury might be a good add at the deadline.. after those high lights.. it was more like "careful what you wish for" .. he looked like a sieve.. if he'd been in an Oilers jersey most would be running him out of town..

I really don't understand why we don't give Skinner at least one or a few games. It's not like we're going from prime Hasek or Price down to Skinner.

I do want Holland to be on the lookout for an upgrade in goal, but not before seeing what we have here already. Who knows, maybe he comes in and is our 2019 Jordan Binnington.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794094 is a reply to message #794091 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 10:56

I really don't understand why we don't give Skinner at least one or a few games. It's not like we're going from prime Hasek or Price down to Skinner.

I do want Holland to be on the lookout for an upgrade in goal, but not before seeing what we have here already. Who knows, maybe he comes in and is our 2019 Jordan Binnington.

Watching him in his one game last year trying desperately to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, I really doubt Stuart Skinner is the answer.

That said, we know from past experience that when over-played, Koskinen's performance can see a sharp decline. If Smith is still hurt, then at some point Koskinen needs a rest.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794099 is a reply to message #794094 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 14:01

Watching him in his one game last year trying desperately to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, I really doubt Stuart Skinner is the answer.

That said, we know from past experience that when over-played, Koskinen's performance can see a sharp decline. If Smith is still hurt, then at some point Koskinen needs a rest.

No, probably not. But nobody guessed Binnington would do what he did as a 25 year old. Or any other unheralded goalie who became a solid starter. He had a bad game in his one outing - 1) you don't think he had nerves that game? 2) Do you know any goalies who have never had bad games?

I'm not the chairman of the Stuart Skinner fanclub, but the guy has increased his save % each of the last 3 years in the AHL (.879, .892, .914). The team has spent some time on him. It would be dumb to not at least see what he can do. Maybe he catches lightning in a bottle. More likely he is uninspiring and confirms we need to go out and upgrade, but you can't toss him to the curb based on not having a stellar performance in his first ever outing.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794102 is a reply to message #794099 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 11:46

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 14:01

No, probably not. But nobody guessed Binnington would do what he did as a 25 year old. Or any other unheralded goalie who became a solid starter. He had a bad game in his one outing - 1) you don't think he had nerves that game? 2) Do you know any goalies who have never had bad games?

I'm not the chairman of the Stuart Skinner fanclub, but the guy has increased his save % each of the last 3 years in the AHL (.879, .892, .914). The team has spent some time on him. It would be dumb to not at least see what he can do. Maybe he catches lightning in a bottle. More likely he is uninspiring and confirms we need to go out and upgrade, but you can't toss him to the curb based on not having a stellar performance in his first ever outing.

This is true. He could yet improve. I'm not hopeful for him, but I've been wrong before.

For what it's worth, I agree we need to play him. Koskinen will need a rest soon.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794113 is a reply to message #794094 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 11:01

Mike wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 10:56

Given the record and what's at stake in November, there is zero reason for Tip to run the wheels off Koskinen or even approach that.....or any of his skaters for that matter. If anyone on the club has demonstrated the need for load management, it's Koski.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794092 is a reply to message #794090 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 08 November 2021 10:47

I've been wondering if the 'Hawks are killing Fleury or Fleury is killing the 'Hawks. Likely a little of both, but he's pretty old too. Goalies sometimes fall off a statistical cliff as they age out.

Given how reluctant he was to move to Chicago, he may not be interested in moving to Canada with him Limited NMC although it would be a better situation. That said, even if you could get past the stats and the NMC, there's still that $7MM cap hit. I'm not sure how the Oilers could manage taking on any cap that large, even late in the season.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794142 is a reply to message #794086 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Someone has been following you for ideas:

Quote:

Chris Johnston: “I think it’s reasonable to link Marc-Andre Fleury to EDM. I think that they understand what this season means. I see them trading for a D before the deadline and I see them getting another goaltender and that goaltender might be the reigning Vezina Trophy winner”

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794143 is a reply to message #794142 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 13:50

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Quote:

Chris Johnston: “I think it’s reasonable to link Marc-Andre Fleury to EDM. I think that they understand what this season means. I see them trading for a D before the deadline and I see them getting another goaltender and that goaltender might be the reigning Vezina Trophy winner”

I'd be worried about Holland trading with Chicago again.

I'd also be worried about Fleury, who may regain form at some point, but has been oddly shaky for a long time. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. I'm not convinced he's an upgrade though.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794145 is a reply to message #794143 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 13:55

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Quote:

I'd also be worried about Fleury, who may regain form at some point, but has been oddly shaky for a long time. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. I'm not convinced he's an upgrade though.

Wouldn't it be so Oilers to address people's concerns around a 39 year old starter by going out and getting a guy who's 37?

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794148 is a reply to message #794145 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 14:21

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 13:55

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Quote:

Wouldn't it be so Oilers to address people's concerns around a 39 year old starter by going out and getting a guy who's 37?

This sort of thing is usually referred to as a "youth movement". Get with the program...

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794146 is a reply to message #794143 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 12:55

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Quote:

Fleury is interesting to me. He's UFA after this year, so no cap beyond this year. Who's going the other way? You would have to think Koskinen would have to be going back for $$, plus Chi is going to want some other asset like pick/prospect, especially if they have to retain salary on Fleury to make the cap work. Kosk + a 3rd/2nd conditional pick dependent on games played for Fluery with salary retained to balance? Would that get it done?

Is a Smith/Fleury tandem better for a playoff run that Smith/Koskinen? I think it is, but it all depends on what the add is to a deal.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Shore injured; Out 4-6 weeks [message #794149 is a reply to message #794146 ]
Tue, 09 November 2021 15:00 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 14:25

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 November 2021 12:55

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers

Quote:

Fleury is interesting to me. He's UFA after this year, so no cap beyond this year. Who's going the other way? You would have to think Koskinen would have to be going back for $$, plus Chi is going to want some other asset like pick/prospect, especially if they have to retain salary on Fleury to make the cap work. Kosk + a 3rd/2nd conditional pick dependent on games played for Fluery with salary retained to balance? Would that get it done?

Is a Smith/Fleury tandem better for a playoff run that Smith/Koskinen? I think it is, but it all depends on what the add is to a deal.

I'm just not sure it is better. Fleury has been awful this year while Koskinen has been pretty alright. The only thing pointing in the trade's favour is the coach might have more respect for Fleury so the games would be split in a less insane manner.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11)
Next Topic:Review: NY Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca