This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793749]
Sat, 30 October 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Vancouver to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793756 is a reply to message #793749 ]
Sat, 30 October 2021 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Koskinen deserved that shutout.

Demko stood on his head at moments.

Bank the points and head back home for Lars’ revenge game Monday.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793757 is a reply to message #793749 ]
Sat, 30 October 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Would have been nice to see a SO for Koskinen. Pretty good game by both starters and Koskinen was great during that late PP for Van. Did not let the team down in a goaltending battle.

The broadcast team went on and on about Vancouver's chances, but although I haven't checked the tallies of quality chances, Edmonton seemed to have had a ton of them as well. Could have pretty easily been 4-0 Oilers early in this game, and they didn't cash on them which led to the type of game where Van could hang arou d and have possibilities late.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793766 is a reply to message #793749 ]
Sun, 31 October 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Do you think we'd see more scoring opportunities generated at ES if Barrie was lined with Nurse again on that top pairing?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793769 is a reply to message #793766 ]
Sun, 31 October 2021 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 31 October 2021 11:42

Do you think we'd see more scoring opportunities generated at ES if Barrie was lined with Nurse again on that top pairing?

McDavid with Bouchard - 42 minutes - 4 goals for, 1 goal against - expected GF 70.19%

McDavid with Barrie - 46 minutes - 3 goals for, 4 goals against - expected GF 47.44%

Thinking no. Barrie wasn't that good last year at even strength either. McDavid propped him up all last season.

I appreciate that he maybe took a discount to stay here, but he really needs to up his game. And I don't think he deserves that top pair spot at all. He doesn't even really deserve the top PP spot. Even Nurse has looked better on the PP with McDavid. Bouch could probably be even better than that.

Nurse+McDAvid PP - 3 goals for in 4 minutes!! (20 xGF/60)
Barrie+McDavid PP - 6 goals for in 22 minutes. (12 xGF/60)

McDavid+Nurse scored at a higher rate on the PP last year to vs McDavid+Barrie.

File all this stuff under "things coaching/management could have figured out last season".

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2021 23:47]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793771 is a reply to message #793769 ]
Mon, 01 November 2021 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 01 November 2021 02:40

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 31 October 2021 11:42

McDavid with Bouchard - 42 minutes - 4 goals for, 1 goal against - expected GF 70.19%

McDavid with Barrie - 46 minutes - 3 goals for, 4 goals against - expected GF 47.44%

Thinking no. Barrie wasn't that good last year at even strength either. McDavid propped him up all last season.

I appreciate that he maybe took a discount to stay here, but he really needs to up his game. And I don't think he deserves that top pair spot at all. He doesn't even really deserve the top PP spot. Even Nurse has looked better on the PP with McDavid. Bouch could probably be even better than that.

Nurse+McDAvid PP - 3 goals for in 4 minutes!! (20 xGF/60)
Barrie+McDavid PP - 6 goals for in 22 minutes. (12 xGF/60)

McDavid+Nurse scored at a higher rate on the PP last year to vs McDavid+Barrie.

File all this stuff under "things coaching/management could have figured out last season".

Honestly, with how long we have clamoured for a point producing Dman, I’m ok to have him there as injury protection. And at that $4.5M tag, he should be able to bet us some sort of a return if we continue Pump his numbers up.

I don’t hate keeping him on PP1 as long it is rolling. 1) ups his trade value 2) keeps Bouchard’s next deal just a little cheaper.

Not a bad problem to have TBH

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #7) [message #793774 is a reply to message #793771 ]
Mon, 01 November 2021 08:57 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have no issue with Barrie being on the team. Going into the season assuming pretty unproven Bouchard could have just jumped into the spot with Nurse is what the Oilers did for many, many years when all they did was lose. In my opinion, it would have been stupid to do that. I said it all along, I wasn't prepared to sign Barrie if he expected a crazy contract, I said he would have to make it so it was a no brainer to resign him. He did that. 3 yrs at 4.5 mill for a vet, right shooting, puck moving, point producing dman who can play in the top 4 and be OK (he did that last year) is a no brainer contract. If after this season he's expendable, you can trade that contract in a heartbeat and have teams lining up for that.

If they have an injury, you have a vet to replace someone that isn't a 6/7 dman. If Bouchard struggles, you have a vet to replace him. If Bouchard was making big money, to have Barrie in the 3rd pairing doesn't look good. He doesn't, he makes under 900K. So it really doesn't make a damn bit of difference that Barrie for now is in the 3rd pairing. Plus Barrie has looked better in the last few games. He struggled out of the gate last year and picked it up. I LOVE when a team has depth and has really good young guys pushing for spots. I love it because when there is legit competition for spots and ice time, usually plays play better. When there are young guys trying to take vets jobs, usually vets play better. The fact that Bouchard has surpasses Barrie for now, is a good time in my opinion.

For the game. I thought the Oilers played extremely well. Koskinen deserved a shut out, he was excellent when he had to be but I didn't think he had to be that much. Hell of a bounce back. I thought the Oilers didn't give up much for most of the game. My god Demko stood on his head.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Next Topic:Duncan Keith to Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca