This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793469 is a reply to message #793465 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:21

They can just create any cap space they need by buying out other bad contracts.

Shut. Up.

But actually, the awful Sekara buy out comes off the books after 2022-23. So maybe they giva a short term contract to Puljuj through next and buy out... let's see... who is over paid, is signed beyond the summer of 2023, and might be awful enough to buy out in June 2023...

Codi Ceci.

Calling it now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793480 is a reply to message #793469 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:28

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:21

They can just create any cap space they need by buying out other bad contracts.

Shut. Up.

But actually, the awful Sekara buy out comes off the books after 2022-23. So maybe they giva a short term contract to Puljuj through next and buy out... let's see... who is over paid, is signed beyond the summer of 2023, and might be awful enough to buy out in June 2023...

Codi Ceci.

Calling it now.

Ummm, why are you talking like this didn't happen?

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/144959827054883635 2?s=20

First buyout is Barrie fo sho.

Then Ceci right after because it won't be enough cap space still.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793467 is a reply to message #793463 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 10:49

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 10:09

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 22:47

I agree that Puljujarvi is not elite, but he is trending to be very good. What is his value right now if we could get him for 8 years? 4.5-5M AAV?

What if scores 35G and 25A this year? 6-7.5M? Really want to see this kid here long-term, but it will all about price point because of some of these boat anchor buyout/trades on the Cap.

We could be in real trouble on this contract. I don't expect Puljujarvi to continue his current pace, but he could definitely be a 65-70 point player this year - even with the Oilers giving Hyman a lot of the PP1 reps.

It's possible that his success will be considered to be in big part because of who he's played with, although it is worth noting that no one other than Draisaitl has put up 70 points with McDavid. Ryan Strome had a break out with Panarin a couple of years ago and got only a two year deal at $4.5MM per season, so that's probably the best case scenario. However, you have to remember that he signed that deal during COVID, when teams were pretty concerned about what the next couple years were going to look like financially.

I think you're right that the best we can hope for is $6MM per and it's probably another shorter deal then.

Just wait for the Bouchard deal the year after that too...

IF the floor for Puljujarvi is 6 million, you let someone else pay that. I understand that the Oilers need plyers who can score and actually play in the NHL. I really like what new Puljuj is bringing, and not just in terms of pant launches, but a team can only have so many players at that price point. He has to be a complimentary player for the Oilers and the Oilers need to pay him like that's what he is.

I dunno...I'm not sure I agree on this one. We finally fix the wings, I'd rather spend on a first line winger and scrimp elsewhere. This is definitely where the overpayments elsewhere hurt you though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793468 is a reply to message #793467 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:22

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 10:49

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 10:09

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 18 October 2021 22:47

I agree that Puljujarvi is not elite, but he is trending to be very good. What is his value right now if we could get him for 8 years? 4.5-5M AAV?

What if scores 35G and 25A this year? 6-7.5M? Really want to see this kid here long-term, but it will all about price point because of some of these boat anchor buyout/trades on the Cap.

We could be in real trouble on this contract. I don't expect Puljujarvi to continue his current pace, but he could definitely be a 65-70 point player this year - even with the Oilers giving Hyman a lot of the PP1 reps.

It's possible that his success will be considered to be in big part because of who he's played with, although it is worth noting that no one other than Draisaitl has put up 70 points with McDavid. Ryan Strome had a break out with Panarin a couple of years ago and got only a two year deal at $4.5MM per season, so that's probably the best case scenario. However, you have to remember that he signed that deal during COVID, when teams were pretty concerned about what the next couple years were going to look like financially.

I think you're right that the best we can hope for is $6MM per and it's probably another shorter deal then.

Just wait for the Bouchard deal the year after that too...

IF the floor for Puljujarvi is 6 million, you let someone else pay that. I understand that the Oilers need plyers who can score and actually play in the NHL. I really like what new Puljuj is bringing, and not just in terms of pant launches, but a team can only have so many players at that price point. He has to be a complimentary player for the Oilers and the Oilers need to pay him like that's what he is.

I dunno...I'm not sure I agree on this one. We finally fix the wings, I'd rather spend on a first line winger and scrimp elsewhere. This is definitely where the overpayments elsewhere hurt you though...

If Pulju is a 2-way force putting up 60+ points that can keep up with McDavid all night...I think you give him the ~6M in a heartbeat.

We experienced what it's like to not have effective top 6 wingers. It's very very unpleasant. Lots of guys have had success with McDavid of course, but only a handful have had runs of more than a few weeks. Usually it ends up with the guy not keeping up anymore and has to be rotated out. No guarantee with Pulju yet obviously, but if he can be maybe the 3rd or 4th guy we've seen have sustained success with McDavid, should try our best to keep him. Our ability to keep Drai on his own line rides on this too. Lack of wingers leads to a 1 line team.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 October 2021 11:27]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793470 is a reply to message #793468 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:24

If Pulju is a 2-way force putting up 60+ points that can keep up with McDavid all night...I think you give him the ~6M in a heartbeat.

We experienced what it's like to not have effective top 6 wingers. It's very very unpleasant. Lots of guys have had success with McDavid of course, but only a handful have had runs of more than a few weeks. Usually it ends up with the guy not keeping up anymore and has to be rotated out. No guarantee with Pulju yet obviously, but if he can be maybe the 3rd or 4th guy we've seen have sustained success with McDavid, should try our best to keep him. Our ability to keep Drai on his own line rides on this too. Lack of wingers leads to a 1 line team.

The overpayments elsewhere *might* make a situation where they can't sign another player at that price point. We make jokes, but there literally is a limit to the number of players you can have making those dollars. The Oilers might be over that limit already. Although Koskinen is coming off the books, so maybe they just give Jesse his money and hope Smith can defy time for just one more season.

Still though, if you can save some cash by playing hardball with the reborn Jesse Puljujarvu, I think they have to do it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793472 is a reply to message #793470 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:32

The overpayments elsewhere *might* make a situation where they can't sign another player at that price point. We make jokes, but there literally is a limit to the number of players you can have making those dollars. The Oilers might be over that limit already. Although Koskinen is coming off the books, so maybe they just give Jesse his money and hope Smith can defy time for just one more season.

Still though, if you can save some cash by playing hardball with the reborn Jesse Puljujarvu, I think they have to do it.

The Koskinen money argument is mostly moot though, no? Since that money essentially just goes to whoever Smith’s partner will be and the Nurse extension.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793473 is a reply to message #793470 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The thing that probably sucks here is that they will have to choose between playing hardball and saving maybe $1.5-2.0MM per year but facing Puljujarvi as a UFA in his mid-20s, or locking him up long-term, but without the discount.

The thing for me is that even though players have gotten a bump playing with McDavid, no one has been close to the numbers we're talking about here for Puljujarvi. Maroon was low 40s for points, even Nugent-Hopkins hasn't cracked 70 points.

If Puljujarvi tops out in the 50s, then its maybe not a big deal...but if he's at 70? I think he needs to get paid.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793474 is a reply to message #793473 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 11:13

The thing that probably sucks here is that they will have to choose between playing hardball and saving maybe $1.5-2.0MM per year but facing Puljujarvi as a UFA in his mid-20s, or locking him up long-term, but without the discount.

The thing for me is that even though players have gotten a bump playing with McDavid, no one has been close to the numbers we're talking about here for Puljujarvi. Maroon was low 40s for points, even Nugent-Hopkins hasn't cracked 70 points.

If Puljujarvi tops out in the 50s, then its maybe not a big deal...but if he's at 70? I think he needs to get paid.

Another option would be looking at what Jesse could fetch in a trade next summer. I mean, 2 years ago a "pump & dump" scenerio would have been a dream come true. Could Jesse net a yound up & comming goalie + next summer? Or maybe part of a larger package for a replacement winger/D/goalie? Just sayin', if he has value around the league and he becomes to expensive to re-sign, sell high.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793475 is a reply to message #793474 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

jds308 wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 15:29

Another option would be looking at what Jesse could fetch in a trade next summer. I mean, 2 years ago a "pump & dump" scenerio would have been a dream come true. Could Jesse net a yound up & comming goalie + next summer? Or maybe part of a larger package for a replacement winger/D/goalie? Just sayin', if he has value around the league and he becomes to expensive to re-sign, sell high.

Ideally I'd like to see him here at reasonable $ long term, but you're right - a young, huge, right shot stud who just put up 70 points (if that's what he gets) would most certainly fetch a decent return from a team starved for offence.

If we're left with Hyman - McDavid, and RNH - Draisaitl as our pairs, maybe we can fill that 3rd spot a little cheaper and not have too much of a drop.

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793477 is a reply to message #793475 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 12:42

jds308 wrote on Mon, 25 October 2021 15:29

Ideally I'd like to see him here at reasonable $ long term, but you're right - a young, huge, right shot stud who just put up 70 points (if that's what he gets) would most certainly fetch a decent return from a team starved for offence.

If we're left with Hyman - McDavid, and RNH - Draisaitl as our pairs, maybe we can fill that 3rd spot a little cheaper and not have too much of a drop.

Hands up, who trusts Ken Holland to make a major trade? I mean, this is the guy who didn't understand that he should, in fact, get Duncan Keith for free...

Re: Puljujarvi signed to a two-year contract [message #793485 is a reply to message #767839 ]
Mon, 25 October 2021 16:08 Go to previous message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Keep JP forever.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #5)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca