This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Tkachev ELC Ruled IneligiblePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632877 is a reply to message #632873 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 01 October 2014 07:04

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 30 September 2014 21:08

Brutal. The NHL knew he was there. Even national media was reporting his presence, you would think they could have said something.

I would normally fault the Oilers for stuff like this but I think this one is on the NHL. What a gong show this is.

It's not the NHL's job to run the Edmonton Oilers, even if they'd probably do a better job of it.

Yeah, I revisited it in my head and I agree, silly I expected the NHL to know about every teams' camp invites and if they are eligible. Obviously they found out he was ineligible once the deal was announced and the contract had to be processed.

This is more on the the Oilers not doing their due diligence before inviting a player and finding out his eligibility. More specifically this is probably where the lawyer assistant GM should have come in.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632911 is a reply to message #632877 ]
Thu, 02 October 2014 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Lol.

I wonder how many times this group needs to be publicly embarrassed before they decide it might be worth while to actually read some of these documents? Nah! Waste of time. They already know all there is to know about winning anyway.

Just to state the blatantly obvious, the validity of the rule is completely irrelevant. Its a rule. Team execs are paid to know (or have employees that know) them.

Seriously what do these guys do all day? Like finishing last every year and not knowing any of the rules seems fairly easy. In fact I could do it tomorrow. I couldn't finish 31st and who knows I might even achieve the lofty goal of playing meaningful games in December. Also I would just do a bunch of stuff that seems to sort of work and let the league publicly repremend me when it's wrong.
It would actually be almost impossible for any of is here to match the level of futility that our current management has demonstrated. They really should be embarrassed to the point of quitting by now.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632870 is a reply to message #632819 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nerdkore  is currently offline Nerdkore

No Cups

While I agree the NHL may be partially to blame for this for not communicating this rule with the team earlier... At the same time it really isn't the leagues responsibility to make sure the teams know all the rules once they have been communicated. I'm sure that a rule book has been handed out to every team and it is up to the teams to make sure they have gone over it and know about all these obscure rules so that situations such as these don't happen.

It's definitely a crappy situation, Oilers are at fault for not knowing the rule. A little embarrassing since this kid was so high profile. I'm sure there is some loophole that allowed him to be playing in NHL pre season games as well since it's not quite a "real" NHL game.

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632871 is a reply to message #632819 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

You'd better believe the Oil are going to try to counter this. A waste of an exhibition roster spot seemingly just to showcase a player for other NHL teams in the upcoming draft? They will fight until the bitter end to reverse the decision but it's all there in black and white. My guess is that no compensation nor any exception will be made in this situation. What a complete embarrassment for the team and the league. Every team passed on the guy in the draft, so you'd think he's fair game now to whoever gives him a chance.

I truly feel for Tkachev. He proved to the entire hockey world that you cannot measure the level of compete in a player just based on size. The kid can sure play and he has forever gained a fan here wherever he ends up playing.

A sad day in Oil Country indeed.

Edit: After listening to MacT's interview, it's now apparent that the Oilers have accepted that he's going back in the draft. Heartbreaking.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 October 2014 05:25]

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632879 is a reply to message #632871 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

Hallsy wrote on Wed, 01 October 2014 03:15

You'd better believe the Oil are going to try to counter this. A waste of an exhibition roster spot seemingly just to showcase a player for other NHL teams in the upcoming draft? They will fight until the bitter end to reverse the decision but it's all there in black and white. My guess is that no compensation nor any exception will be made in this situation. What a complete embarrassment for the team and the league. Every team passed on the guy in the draft, so you'd think he's fair game now to whoever gives him a chance.

I truly feel for Tkachev. He proved to the entire hockey world that you cannot measure the level of compete in a player just based on size. The kid can sure play and he has forever gained a fan here wherever he ends up playing.

Edit: After listening to MacT's interview, it's now apparent that the Oilers have accepted that he's going back in the draft. Heartbreaking.

I find it actually more disappointing that Mact has accepted the NHL's decision. If New Jersey can get away with circumventing the cap and getting back their penalized 1st Round draft with the entire Kovalchuk debacle, then the Oilers may have a case for Tkachev. Possibly filing a grievance with the NHLPA?

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632890 is a reply to message #632879 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Where was Tyler Dellow on this!?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632898 is a reply to message #632879 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

Oiler76 wrote on Wed, 01 October 2014 08:28

I find it actually more disappointing that Mact has accepted the NHL's decision. If New Jersey can get away with circumventing the cap and getting back their penalized 1st Round draft with the entire Kovalchuk debacle, then the Oilers may have a case for Tkachev. Possibly filing a grievance with the NHLPA?

This sounds fishy. Maybe MacT knew about the ineligibility with Tkachev and took a chance the NHL would miss it.

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632901 is a reply to message #632879 ]
Wed, 01 October 2014 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oiler76 wrote on Wed, 01 October 2014 08:28

MacT is not Lou L., and Edmonton is not next door to Gary Bettman's office.
But you are right, different "interpretation" of rules, for different teams.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632912 is a reply to message #632901 ]
Thu, 02 October 2014 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

There's a big difference in these two situations though. With New Jersey, it was all about interpretation. Kovalchuk's contract fit within the guidelines of a legit NHL contract based on the rules of the day. However, it was only a case of "whoa! that's stretching the limits of the rules" that NJ got penalized. So, interpretation is the key here. Plus, one could argue that NJ only got out of the full extent of the punishment because Kovalchuk bolted back to Russia.

In the case of Tkachev, the rule is pretty well defined, if not clearly laid out. He didn't play a full season in the Q. No matter how you define full, he didn't play it. And whether, the fans, the team or anyone else doesn't agree with the rule, it doesn't change the fact that that is the rule.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632915 is a reply to message #632912 ]
Thu, 02 October 2014 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilerPunch  is currently offline OilerPunch

No Cups

Actually I heard Struds talking last night about this and he places full blame on Tkachev's agent. I personally think the league comes in close second and there is responsibility for the Oilers but the issue I think is that it is not like the Oilers were trying to circumvent the CBA on purpose. What the league should do as some have suggested is figure out some compensation fine or late round draft pick that the Oilers have to pay to deem this contract eligible. Silly.

Re: Oilers Sign Tkachev...Not so Fast! Deal Ineligible [message #632917 is a reply to message #632915 ]
Thu, 02 October 2014 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

OilerPunch wrote on Thu, 02 October 2014 10:26

Actually I heard Struds talking last night about this and he places full blame on Tkachev's agent. I personally think the league comes in close second and there is responsibility for the Oilers but the issue I think is that it is not like the Oilers were trying to circumvent the CBA on purpose. What the league should do as some have suggested is figure out some compensation fine or late round draft pick that the Oilers have to pay to deem this contract eligible. Silly.

That's like me blaming the photo radar operator, the government, and then me for the ticket I got in the mail. Yes photo radar is a regressive form of revenue collection and a backwards method of enforcement, but I still know the rules and it's still my fault when I get a ticket.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #632998 is a reply to message #632819 ]
Fri, 03 October 2014 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

@QMJHL: Welcome back to the QMJHL Vladimir Tkachev. Huge 4 point night for @monctonwildcats in his first game back with the Cats.

*sadcry*

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #632999 is a reply to message #632998 ]
Fri, 03 October 2014 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 03 October 2014 19:25

@QMJHL: Welcome back to the QMJHL Vladimir Tkachev. Huge 4 point night for @monctonwildcats in his first game back with the Cats.

*sadcry*

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #633020 is a reply to message #632999 ]
Sat, 04 October 2014 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Make that 7 points in 2 games. Cats fans are saying this kid is possibly the most skilled player they have ever had on the team. This kid is not slipping through the draft next year.

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #633033 is a reply to message #633020 ]
Sat, 04 October 2014 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 04 October 2014 19:57

Make that 7 points in 2 games. Cats fans are saying this kid is possibly the most skilled player they have ever had on the team. This kid is not slipping through the draft next year.

Watch him overtake McDavid. And Calgary gets him. Because... it's the Oilers and the universe has a nasty sense of humour.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #654719 is a reply to message #633020 ]
Sat, 27 June 2015 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 04 October 2014 20:57

I think I just heard some slipping noises

EDIT: Also interesting to note, Ken Appleby slipped through the draft as well

[Updated on: Sat, 27 June 2015 13:16]

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #654735 is a reply to message #654719 ]
Sat, 27 June 2015 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

eedok wrote on Sat, 27 June 2015 12:12

Mike wrote on Sat, 04 October 2014 20:57

I think I just heard some slipping noises

EDIT: Also interesting to note, Ken Appleby slipped through the draft as well

He went undrafted? Guess now the Oilers can pursue him...

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #654737 is a reply to message #632819 ]
Sat, 27 June 2015 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

I think the Oilers chances of signing him are about 0% with Chiarelli looking for "heavier" players.

But got to feel for the kid. Fully earns an NHL contract, has it voided, and then goes undrafted. Hope he can work himself into an organization.

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #654739 is a reply to message #654737 ]
Sat, 27 June 2015 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Sign him to an AHL deal if he earns it. We don't have room for a small skilled guy on the big team, but we also don't have any skilled depth in the minors.

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #792624 is a reply to message #654739 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

Looks like he's found his way back to the NHL. I had REALLY wished the Oilers were able to sign him, but was declared ineligible.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/10-rookies-target-nhl-f antasy-draft/

10. Vladimir Tkachev, LW, Los Angeles Kings (SN Rank: 250)

If you love dark horse sleepers, you’ve come to the right place. Following a steady six-season run in the KHL, the undrafted 25-year-old Tkachev landed in Los Angeles this summer on a one-year deal. At this point, it looks like the Russian winger could break camp as L.A.’s second line left winger alongside Phillip Danault and Alex Iafallo. Toss Tkachev on your watch list

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #792626 is a reply to message #792624 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Red Rage wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 09:46

Looks like he's found his way back to the NHL. I had REALLY wished the Oilers were able to sign him, but was declared ineligible.

If you love dark horse sleepers, you’ve come to the right place. Following a steady six-season run in the KHL, the undrafted 25-year-old Tkachev landed in Los Angeles this summer on a one-year deal. At this point, it looks like the Russian winger could break camp as L.A.’s second line left winger alongside Phillip Danault and Alex Iafallo. Toss Tkachev on your watch list

Poor kid can't catch a break. That is the WRONG team to try to break in with as a young Russian winger. I would guess the first time he has any short dry spell, McLellan lands him permanently in the doghouse and tries to end his career. The man has a long history of having Russian players just somehow fail to achieve anything with him at the helm.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible [message #792627 is a reply to message #792626 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 10:01 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 09:59

Red Rage wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 09:46

Poor kid can't catch a break. That is the WRONG team to try to break in with as a young Russian winger. I would guess the first time he has any short dry spell, McLellan lands him permanently in the doghouse and tries to end his career. The man has a long history of having Russian players just somehow fail to achieve anything with him at the helm.

lol, first thought here as well how remarkable it is he managed to pick McLellan as his coach. Best of luck kid!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Neal to be bought out
Next Topic:Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca