This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for LarssonPages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690374 is a reply to message #690365 ]
Thu, 06 April 2017 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 April 2017 16:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 05 April 2017 16:38

Scott Cullen. Big time TSN Advanced stats guy and kind of an Oiler hater was debating with some Oiler fans last night about how bad the Hal trade still is. Some of the things he said was the impact of Hall on the Devils was way, way, way more this season than Larsson on the Oilers. If you look at the Devils this season after adding Hall. They are way worse defensively this year than last year. They are going to finish way less in overall points than they were last year. Offensively. Hall was brought in to boost the offense. With 3 games left, the Devils have scored 8 goals less than they did all last season. Given they are scoring at a 2.22 goals per game clip this season. Just to tie last years total, they are going to have to score higher than their season average. Oh yea, Hall's made a BIG difference. icon_lol

Larsson was brought in to be a big, physical, hard to play against, right shot dman to help shore up the defense. Larsson is mean, nasty, brutal to play against, has 243 hits in 76 games and is a plus 18. In addtion, the Oilers have improved by 71 goals. They were -42 last year and +29 this year. Now its not all Larsson but he has done more than what he was brought in to do.

Best thing said. Matt Henderson, Oilers blogger and Hall trade hater chimed in. "Hall is the best player on the Devils, Larsson is 4th in ice time." Larsson gets no PP time, while Sekara and Klefbom get lots. Take that into account and their mins are almost the same. If you go look at the Devils line up. Saying Hall is the best player isn't saying much. Their line up is brutal.

If your best player by a good margin is a 1-dimensional winger, I think your team is gonna suck :)

I think the real debate is how much the oilers actually miss Hall. Hall was really having trouble clicking with anyone for a year plus until he and Drai meshed for a couple months. Drai really saved Hall last season from having 3 ~60 point pace seasons in a row, which, adjusted for his usual 10 or so games of injury a season, make him a guy that brings 50-60 points to your team a year when getting all the prime offensive ice time. I'm only taking the last 3 years into account of course. He managed 80 in his offensive productivity prime. But, he said himself last year, he has started playing more cautious after his last injury a few years ago, and, IMO, he really needs to be taking the big risks with his body to generate the chances he needs to be an elite contributor on paper.

I honestly don't think he would have helped us that much this year. Maybe if McDavid got injured, but that didn't happen, and next year hopefully Pulju can be a contributor that could help in such a situation. And lots of discussion here about how Nuge has been held down, how many more points would Nuge/Ebs put up if they got all that prime ice time McDavid's line gets? We have lots of forwards in this organisation, and there is only so much ice time to go around, and so much time where you're leaning offensively.

We have spent probably double the amount of time this year as last season with a lead, that lends itself to more defensive play, and McLellan really does coach players to bottle up with a lead. We don't play all out all the time offensive hockey like the Pens do. Maybe some of us with we did, and maybe Hall could have helped more in that kind of game plan, but that's a whole other discussion then, because they we would have to dump McLellan too and find another coach to have created the environment where Hall could have actually provided some incremental improvement (and maybe he still wouldn't have in that case compared to the guys we already have).

Many factors to consider, but in my head, I honestly don't think we miss Hall much. The glut of forwards on the team made it possible to move him in a deal we lost on paper, but one that has let us play the way McLellan wants the team to play and succeed, and the results have been surprisingly good. And the loss, I think the value of Larsson and Hall will be getting closer each year, and eventually NJD will just having nothing to show for the trade aside from a pick/prospect when they have to trade pending UFA Hall, and I bet we end up extending Larsson.

And of course there is the whole personality thing, and keeping a healthy dressing room that we have have based on personal opinion and hearsay, but I think I've encouraged that kind of stuff to death on here already :)

Interesting stat on the topic of playing with a lead. Last season we played with a lead 5v5 for 843 mins. we allowed 3.42 goals against per 60 mins in that situation, by far the worst in the NHL. Next closest was Carolina who let in 3.00 GA/60.

This year, we've played with the lead for 1257 mins 5v5 (so 67% more time than last year at 5v5). And we are 3rd best now at not allowing goals, we have allowed 1.91 GA/60 this year with a lead 5v5.

I agree with you. So when the season ends and you are near last in the league AGAIN. Chia and McLellan sit down and talk about the season and what went right, what went wrong, who kept playing, who quit, who's a debbie downer in the room and what you need to bring in to improve. So the first thing McLellan says to Chia is "My defense sucks. I can't win with it." Chia agrees and says he's been trying to get someone but nobody wants our guys, except maybe Hall or Drai or Nurse. Chia doesn't want to Drai or Nurse and he'd rather not trade Hall.

Then they go over who they have on defense worth keeping. They list Sekera & Klefbom. Nurse is so young but they see something. Davidson is maybe a player but hard to say. Gryba was decent in the 3rd pairing but he's a UFA but wants to come back badly. So maybe they have 3 dmen you can confidently start out next season. You can bring back Gryba in a 6-7 role. McLellen says I want nothing to do with Fayne, he's going to have to have one hell of an offseason and camp because I don't think I can use him. So Chi says. "So we basically have no one on the right side for next year." So then Chia says "Well I might be able to sign 1 UFA but anymore than that, it's going to be tough." He mentions Demers to McLellen who coached and McLellan is luke warm to him.

So then they look at their forwards. Yak is worth nothing. Nuge or Eberle are going to need another dman to go with them to get anyone remotely decent back and they don't have enough dmen to begin with so they can't trade one. They aren't trading a 21 yr old big center in Drai. But I do get calls on Hall frequently but I don't want to trade him. They then they say, "could we even do it if we absolutely had too?" So they make lines without Hall.

McLellan says Nuge, Eberle & Pouliot played well together. Pouliot had 19 in 58, then 14 in 55 this year. IF the guy could stay remotely healthy, he'd have back to back 20+ goal years.

Then McLellan says. "Hall can't play with Connor. I tried. They look like crap in practice and even worse in games. Hall won't give up the damn puck to McDavid and he doesn't go to the right spots."

Then he goes. "Well Maroon looked good with McDavid. He had 8 goals and 14 pts here. All he does is get the pucks to Connor as fast as he can and goes to the net and Connor finds him. He's got pretty good hands. If the guy would just drop some pounds, he might do alright.

McLellan goes I really like Drai. He might have the second best hockey sense and vision on the team behind Connor and he's lethal on the backhand. Plus I loved having that extra center on my top line like I did with Pavelski." They count them up. "That's 6 guys and we don't have Hall down yet."

Chia goes. "Well you know, Milan and I still keep in touch. When I got this job he sent me a text to congratulate me and said how much he enjoyed playing on my team. I kept tabs on him in LA and asked how he liked playing in the West. He said he liked being closer to home. I know he's watching Connor and has asked me how the new building looks. I haven't talked anything about contract but I have it from good sources he'd like to stay in LA because its California but he doubts it will happen."

McLellan "You actually think you can get Milan?"

Chi "Well its free agency so nothing is a guarantee but Yes I seriously do. I have a good idea about the dollars he wants. He's been asking Dean for 6, the problem is he wants long term and Dean can't give it to him. Deans offering 4, maybe 5, Milan wants 7 yrs. So if I give Milan the term he wants, he will come. I am pretty confident in 5 yrs, it's the 6 and 7 I am not 100% on.

McLellan "If you can get Milan in here and a couple of decent dmen in here, with Connor, we can win in 2 years and maybe win a couple."

Chia "So if we can get Milan, where do we fit Hall?"

They both look at each other and point to the empty defense spots on the right side in the depth chart.

Obviously I am not in the room but that's how I think it roughly went down and how they came to trade Hall. I still think Chia from the end of the season and into June still worked the phones to try and not trade Hall, you don't offer up your best chip right off the bat. But when the costs to get even a remotely decent dman kept coming back as Eberle ++ or Nuge ++ for the teams that would even remotely entertain those players, most weren't. He had to shift gears.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 April 2017 09:24]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690375 is a reply to message #690374 ]
Thu, 06 April 2017 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Are we writing Oilers fan fiction now? Fun!

I can't wait to see CrusaderPi's imagination and creativity fully unleashed.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690380 is a reply to message #690375 ]
Thu, 06 April 2017 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 06 April 2017 10:18

You seriously don't think that after the season was done that Chia and McLellan didn't sit down and discuss the season, discuss the needs of the team, go over the personnel, go over the pros and cons of each player. Then take out the organizations depth chart and find out who are McLellan's absolutes that he needs to have moving forward, find out who are the guys that McLellan absolutely wants gone and who McLellan feels the team could survive without if a deal came along that improves the team? Come man, there is nothing fictional about that.

McLellan has sit down meetings with every player to go over the season, what they did good and what they need to improve on. As an example, he told Maroon he had to lose weight. Maroon has said that, it's documented and no I don't have the freaking link at this time.

Based on the way you make it sound. The GM and coach never talk about personnel. The coach shows up a few weeks before camp and says who's on my team this year. The GM fires him a roster sheet and says deal with it and closes his door. You are never going to have any team success unless the coach and GM are on the same page both style of play wise and personnel. I really doubt that 5 mins before Chia agreed to the trade, he went to McLellan said " By the way, I am trading Hall". "McLellan said "god no, we will be screwed". Chia says "Too bad, it's done, you don't know anything". Then made the deal. McLellan knew it was coming and endorses it. You are completely out to lunch if you don't believe that.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 April 2017 11:13]

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690383 is a reply to message #690380 ]
Thu, 06 April 2017 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 April 2017 11:08

You seriously don't think that after the season was done that Chia and McLellan didn't sit down and discuss the season, discuss the needs of the team, go over the personnel, go over the pros and cons of each player. Then take out the organizations depth chart and find out who are McLellan's absolutes that he needs to have moving forward, find out who are the guys that McLellan absolutely wants gone and who McLellan feels the team could survive without if a deal came along that improves the team? Come man, there is nothing fictional about that.

McLellan has sit down meetings with every player to go over the season, what they did good and what they need to improve on. As an example, he told Maroon he had to lose weight. Maroon has said that, it's documented and no I don't have the freaking link at this time.

Based on the way you make it sound. The GM and coach never talk about personnel. The coach shows up a few weeks before camp and says who's on my team this year. The GM fires him a roster sheet and says deal with it and closes his door. You are never going to have any team success unless the coach and GM are on the same page both style of play wise and personnel. I really doubt that 5 mins before Chia agreed to the trade, he went to McLellan said " By the way, I am trading Hall". "McLellan said "god no, we will be screwed". Chia says "Too bad, it's done, you don't know anything". Then made the deal. McLellan knew it was coming and endorses it. You are completely out to lunch if you don't believe that.

That isn't what I said at all. There are definitely internal discussions about personnel. However, I'm guessing you weren't privy to those conversations so all those quotes you have from McLellan and Chiarelli are all just what you imagine may have happened.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690397 is a reply to message #690383 ]
Thu, 06 April 2017 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 06 April 2017 11:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 April 2017 11:08

That isn't what I said at all. There are definitely internal discussions about personnel. However, I'm guessing you weren't privy to those conversations so all those quotes you have from McLellan and Chiarelli are all just what you imagine may have happened.

Gee thanks for pointing that out that I wasn't in the room. So cudos to your for pointing out that my "quotes" aren't word for word. Congrats. clapping Some great detective work there. icon_thumbsup

That being said, my "quotes" are probably in the ball park. They probably had quite a few discussions as the season wound down as to who was still bringing it, who was mailing it in and who was debbie downer in the room. Sorry to burst your bubble but Mr. Hall was terrible the last part of the season and mailed it in. After the season was over, I am sure there was discussions between Chia and McLellan of what was needed to turn the corner, who McLellan thought he could win with on the current roster, who he wanted out and who he would be comfortable losing if needed in order to address a more pressing need. Probably not word for word of what I said but again in the ball park. I also don't know it for a fact because they didn't invite me in the meeting but I am betting one significant guy they identified as being OK to lose if necessary was Hall. He had the most value on the team but he also mailed it in at the end of the season and was a debbie downer in the room. It doesn't mean they were dying to get rid of him like they were with Yak, it just means that if Hall was the cost to bring in a piece that would help shore up a area that was extremely weak, the team could survive and be OK.

They traded Hall. It got them a piece that shored up an area of significant weakness and the Oilers are just fine without Hall.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690510 is a reply to message #690397 ]
Fri, 07 April 2017 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Lucic single handily won the game for the Oilers last night. I thought the Oilers were sleepy a bit at the start then after the Lucic massive hit, then Lucic dismantling the Sharks tough guy, it woke the Oilers up. They absolutely peppered the Sharks on that instigator PP.

I took a look at the stats. Lucic - the Hall replacement - 23 goals, 48 pts, -6, 200 hits, 3 GWG, 12 PP goals. Is an assistant captain, leader, a guy McDavid heavily leans on and has been one of guys that has helped the Oilers turn around their culture, how they play and the turn around.

Hall - 20 goals, 53 pts, 4 GWG, 7 PP goals. He's doesn't have an A, the team is going to finish worse than they did last year. I doubt who ever their captain is is leaning on Hall for leadership.

Skill wise, if you put them up against one another 1 on 1, Hall beats Lucic in a skills competition. But value to his team? If Hall is a 25 goal 60 pt guy and if you look at this season, pro rate it out, look at the full season last year and the previous season and pro rate that out, that is where Hall has scored at the last 3 years. https://www.nhl.com/player/taylor-hall-8475791. So it's not a one off year. Then you factor in he's not really a leader type guy. He had an A with the Oilers but there was always rumors, issues with "leadership" being a problem.
Then you look at Lucic. He's got 23 goals this season. So given Hall's career high is 27 goals, he had 26 last year, you aren't giving up a lot in goals. There is a good chance Lucic gets 50+ pts. So if Hall hovers around 60 pts - which based on the last 3 consecutive seasons - looks like he's setting into that, you aren't giving up a ton of points. Then you factor in Lucic's physical play, 200 hits for Lucic, Hall 59. You factor in the toughness of Lucic. Not that fighting is as important anymore but there is still a place for it. I think Lucic has fought 6 times, I am guessing Hall has none. You factor in the intimidation factor that Lucic brings which make no mistake, it's there. You factor in a bit of the policemen thing that Lucic brings watching the backs of the McDavid's, Eberle, Nuge's. Has McDavid, Nuge or Eberle got run much this year? Nope. But they did all the time previously. So did Hall. Then you factor in the leadership Lucic brings. McDavid talks about how much he leans on Lucic all the time. McLellan has said it all the time and did so last night in his post game comments.

FOR THE OILERS, I think they are getting better value out of Lucic than the Devils are with Hall.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690564 is a reply to message #690510 ]
Sat, 08 April 2017 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boniman  is currently offline Boniman

No Cups

This comment will be base pure speculation but how much did team chemistry change with Hall walking out the door? That alone seems to have made a significant difference.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690631 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Could you imagine if fan forums existed in the dismantling of the Oilers in the late 80's and early 90's?

Would love to read through that and also to follow Calgary Puck at that time. I find this wildly entertaining. That'd be a whole new level.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #690634 is a reply to message #690631 ]
Sun, 09 April 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 09 April 2017 13:40

Could you imagine if fan forums existed in the dismantling of the Oilers in the late 80's and early 90's?

Would love to read through that and also to follow Calgary Puck at that time. I find this wildly entertaining. That'd be a whole new level.

Would have been fun to taunt Pens fans about how not generational Lemieux was because he didn't have the same point totals as Gretzky at certain ages, didn't win X award by a certain time, and so on :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #692502 is a reply to message #690634 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

For me, this series solidified why Chia made the trade. In a tight, every mistake will kill you, physical, defensive series Larsson was a tower of power out there. Game 6, chance to close out the series, on the road, your #1 dman is so sick he can't play the 3rd. Larsson steps up, plays over 26 mins. Has an assist on Drai's goal with a fantastic pass and shuts down the Sharks.

I don't think the Oilers win that series if the trade wasn't made and they had Hall and Demers like some people said. Larsson was an absolute shut down, nasty beast which was SOOO needed in this series. Something that Demers has never been or ever will be. Plus they don't have Lucic who's experience and leadership was huge.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #692504 is a reply to message #692502 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 10:14

For me, this series solidified why Chia made the trade. In a tight, every mistake will kill you, physical, defensive series Larsson was a tower of power out there. Game 6, chance to close out the series, on the road, your #1 dman is so sick he can't play the 3rd. Larsson steps up, plays over 26 mins. Has an assist on Drai's goal with a fantastic pass and shuts down the Sharks.

I don't think the Oilers win that series if the trade wasn't made and they had Hall and Demers like some people said. Larsson was an absolute shut down, nasty beast which was SOOO needed in this series. Something that Demers has never been or ever will be. Plus they don't have Lucic who's experience and leadership was huge.

Chemistry in the locker room and on the ice (I love that our ~8.3M/season still developing top pair for the next half decade+ are really good friends). Getting players that suit the way your coach wants his team to play and are willing to buy in. Having players that can deal with different situations and different styles of play the opposition plays.

All factors that are very hard to create just with stats. Obviously those factors don't automatically win you games, you still need high end skill and game breakers and goaltending, etc... But they help a lot to maintain consistency with work ethic, comradery, positive energy in the room, creating an atmosphere that new players can come into and quickly get on board with to understand the expectations for them.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2017 10:56]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #692509 is a reply to message #692504 ]
Mon, 24 April 2017 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 10:27

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2017 10:14

Chemistry in the locker room and on the ice (I love that our ~8.3M/season still developing top pair for the next half decade+ are really good friends). Getting players that suit the way your coach wants his team to play and are willing to buy in. Having players that can deal with different situations and different styles of play the opposition plays.

All factors that are very hard to create just with stats. Obviously those factors don't automatically win you games, you still need high end skill and game breakers and goaltending, etc... But they help a lot to maintain consistency with work ethic, comradery, positive energy in the room, creating an atmosphere that new players can come into and quickly get on board with to understand the expectations for them.

I agree. During the season, at times games can be a bit of a skills competition especially when it is a good team vs a lesser team. When the Oilers were crappy, there were games when it turned into a skills competition and they beat good "teams" in a track meet but as soon as a team play fundamental, team hockey, they Oilers got beat.

In the playoffs, its completely different hockey. It is usually tight checking, fundamental, team hockey. You have to play good team, defensive hockey. Lesser players elevate their games, offensive guys do things they normally don't do. They block shots, back check harder. Plus shut down, legit really good d pairings are GOLD, especially in the playoffs. With Larsson and the type of player he is and what he has done to elevate Klefbom, the Oilers have a legit really good pairing that pretty much every shift you know something good will happen. The teams that have those pairings usually go far. The Oilers had an exception top pairing in 06 and if Rollie doesn't get hurt, they win the cup but went to game 6 of the cup finals. In 2017, they don't have a pairing as good as the Pronger pairing but it's pretty damn good.

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #792555 is a reply to message #673755 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Sportsnet
@Sportsnet
NHL TRADE TREE

@Steve_Dangle looks back at one of the biggest trades in recent memory, the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson swap between the @EdmontonOilers and @NJDevils + how the trade is still evolving today.

Full video Rightwards arrow https://sprtsnt.ca/3mtbsEH

Hahahahaha...From the Oilers perspective, this is a pretty short tree. The Oilers traded Hall for Larsson - infamously, the deal was one for one. Then we lost Larsson for nothing as a UFA, and so we're left with zilch from one of the best players to play for the Oilers in the post-dynasty era, despite trading him when he had plenty of term left on a relatively inexpensive deal.

It's hilarious that this is even an article. The Devils traded him for 3 prospects and a pick, and still have 3/4s of that group. It's almost like Sportsnet is just trying to enrage Oilers fans...

Re: Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson [message #792557 is a reply to message #792555 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 10:05 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 09:51

Quote:

Sportsnet
@Sportsnet
NHL TRADE TREE

@Steve_Dangle looks back at one of the biggest trades in recent memory, the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson swap between the @EdmontonOilers and @NJDevils + how the trade is still evolving today.

Full video Rightwards arrow https://sprtsnt.ca/3mtbsEH

Hahahahaha...From the Oilers perspective, this is a pretty short tree. The Oilers traded Hall for Larsson - infamously, the deal was one for one. Then we lost Larsson for nothing as a UFA, and so we're left with zilch from one of the best players to play for the Oilers in the post-dynasty era, despite trading him when he had plenty of term left on a relatively inexpensive deal.

It's hilarious that this is even an article. The Devils traded him for 3 prospects and a pick, and still have 3/4s of that group. It's almost like Sportsnet is just trying to enrage Oilers fans...

That's just a side story of the result.

The important result is that Chia is now a VP of hockey operations with St Louis and Shero is only a senior advisor, which is the job Chia had earlier with St Louis.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16]  
Previous Topic:Tkachev ELC Ruled Ineligible
Next Topic:Larsson a Kraken
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca