Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789822 is a reply to message #789818 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 20:29

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 19:53

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 19:50

”A source with knowledge of the negotiations said the Oilers’ last four-year offer made this month was for more money than Seattle’s. They had previously offered $3.9 million per year in June but upped the ante. They were also willing to give Larsson a five-year contract; though the salary on that term is unclear, it’s believed to be for a lesser AAV” as per DNB of the Athletic.

So it was more than just money.

Friedman speculates if Larss was ever comfortable in Edmonton, the jokes, the ‘one for one’, his dads death...

Bet he had a good chance to stay if Klef was still playing, but even that was taken away. Guy paid his dues, deserves a fresh start.

We are in quite a pickle now. Shows you why you should probably just go for it if you have 2 of the best players in the NHL playing the best hockey of their lives.

Would have been hard regardless this season to get the required depth, but there is a lack of effort all along the way that lead us to that position. Now we're blowing a huge chunk of the cap space we waited out for on Keith and Hyman, lol. Does not inspire any confidence.

It’s a Must Win summer for Holland but instead of building a contending hockey team he’s building a new vacuum attachment for the Rogers Zamboni to be powerful enough to suck up jerseys from the ice.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789839 is a reply to message #789815 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

”A source with knowledge of the negotiations said the Oilers’ last four-year offer made this month was for more money than Seattle’s. They had previously offered $3.9 million per year in June but upped the ante. They were also willing to give Larsson a five-year contract; though the salary on that term is unclear, it’s believed to be for a lesser AAV” as per DNB of the Athletic.

Friedman speculates if Larss was ever comfortable in Edmonton, the jokes, the ‘one for one’, his dads death...

The crappy management that keeps wasting years of everyone's careers by not being serious about building a contender and having zero plan as to how to build one...

Man, I'd pay money to have Larsson come out and say that.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789842 is a reply to message #789839 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 21:08

The crappy management that keeps wasting years of everyone's careers by not being serious about building a contender and having zero plan as to how to build one...

The organization has a long history of rubbing players the wrong way while they were on the team.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789846 is a reply to message #789842 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 22:17

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 21:08

The organization has a long history of rubbing players the wrong way while they were on the team.

Hockey players are too polite though. All you get is a few people darkly hinting at the issues (like Smid, Hemsky and Bryzgalov in the first MacT/Eakins year. Last one to be really honest leaving that I can think of is Spacek, who said something to the effect of "It seems like everyone's leaving and the team isn't going to be good."

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789851 is a reply to message #789815 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

But everything I read made it sound like this was a done deal about two weeks ago.

And Larsson's end of the year interview was glowing about the fans, team, city. I don't expect him to trash any of them, but he went out of his way to express his desire to say.

So none of those things (the jokes, his dad's death, 'one for one') happened in the last two weeks. Something changed. Perhaps he felt lowballed after seeing what the Oilers were willing to pay Keith? I don't know, just that something changed around then.

Quote:

@jimmathesonnhl - May 13, 2021
Suspect UFA Adam Larsson's new Oiler deal when officially hammered out will be 4 years in $3.75 mil range a season with NHL flat cap. Larsson has been outstanding this season, big, heavy shutdown D minutes. There's nobody on RD who plays like he knows.

https://twitter.com/jimmathesonnhl/status/139298203891166822 5

Quote:

@TSNRyanRishaug - May 25, 2021
Adam Larsson makes no bones about it, he loves it here and would like to stay. Says he hasn’t had much in the way of talks in the last month. Talks rarely happen around playoff time. My expectation is it will resume in short order, and a deal is quite likely to be found.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/139727225020667494 4

Quote:

@Bob_Stauffer - June 4, 2021
Dave Tippett has often referred to pending UFA’s Adam Larsson and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as part of the Oilers leadership core. I believe there is a 95 % chance Larsson signs a 3 or 4 year extension. I have RNH at 50-50 to re-sign.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/status/1400876849228521476

Quote:

@SportsnetSpec - July 17, 2021
Though deal is not done, Adam Larsson should come in at 4 x $3.9 M if/when he signs w/EDM. If he went to market, could probably push near Chris Tanev numbers ($4.5 M AAV).
Suspect he’ll stay as a leader and core player in EDM tho.

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/1416470714945658881

Other radio quotes from Friedman, Shannon, etc.

So what changed?

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2021 23:35]

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789853 is a reply to message #789851 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 23:02

But everything I read made it sound like this was a done deal about two weeks ago.

And Larsson's end of the year interview was glowing about the fans, team, city. I don't expect him to trash any of them, but he went out of his way to express his desire to say.

So none of those things (the jokes, his dad's death, 'one for one') happened in the last two weeks. Something changed. Perhaps he felt lowballed after seeing what the Oilers were willing to pay Keith? I don't know, just that something changed around then.

Wonder how much these plays pay attention to management. Sure most of them are wired to just hope for the best and put a lot of the pressure on themselves to be part of the solution, but the really smart guys...it must be hard watching our management flailing. And the Keith acquisition was directly changing Larsson's next season. He was going to be the guy that had to try to elevate this declining 38 year old next year, once again likely getting AHL quality forward help in a shutdown role while Nurse/Bear or Barrie get to just freewheel all night long with all the McDavid time. That doesn't sound like much fun honestly. Now he gets to play nothing to lose hockey and try something new, and more take home pay. Maybe he didn't do the tax calculation until recently as well.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789854 is a reply to message #789851 ]
Wed, 21 July 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 23:02

New Oilers leaks are suggesting the Oilers offered significantly more on a 5-year deal, so he decided to take less to go to Seattle.

I think we do need to end the myth that they're paying Keith more - they aren't. His cap hit is just higher. But it is a waste of cap space, and I think if you're a player who's paying any attention to what's going on, you do have to question what the Oilers are trying to do. They just changed their plans midstream to chase an over-the-hill defenceman with name recognition.

If I'm a player, I am concerned about what that means - especially since the rationale I get is Holland stuttering and stumbling through an interview, despite getting asked few hard questions. Would you have any confidence in that guy???

I mean, the guy keeps talking about how he won a Cup after they acquired Chris Chelios, as if he forgets that the team had Yzerman, Lidstrom, Hasek, Hull, Robitaille, Shanahan, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Larionov, Duchesne, Holmstrom...

It's not like Chelios was the missing piece there, or that he "taught" the Red Wings how to win. He was a bit part on an All-Star team in an era where they could outspend 80% of the league but millions and millions. The Oilers have McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Nugent-Hopkins and no depth to speak of. Adding one geriatric isn't exactly going to push us over the edge.

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789919 is a reply to message #789854 ]
Thu, 22 July 2021 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Maybe Larrson just saw that the Oilers are digging themselves deeper this offseason and if he ever wants to win, he has to go somewhere else.

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789932 is a reply to message #789919 ]
Thu, 22 July 2021 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 22 July 2021 12:26

Maybe Larrson just saw that the Oilers are digging themselves deeper this offseason and if he ever wants to win, he has to go somewhere else.

If he came out and said that, after choosing an expansion team, I would laugh until I couldn't breath.
Not because was wrong but because he is likely right.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #789918 is a reply to message #789646 ]
Thu, 22 July 2021 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some interesting comments here:

Quote:

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor
"In the middle of February I reached out to his agent JP Barry and told him we wanted to sign him. I sat down on road trip with Adam and told him we wanted to re-sign him. I made an offer in March. In April, they told me they wanted to shut it down until the end of the year.

"I thought we were really close. I made four or five different offers in June and July. I added a year and ultimately a week ago I went to Barry and gave them green light to explore options. Yesterday morning I found out Adam signed in Seattle." Holland with Larsson.

I'm a little concerned by the sheer volume of offers that Holland is claiming he made. Is he negotiating against himself on some of these? I mean, I guess it's possible that there were a bunch of counter-offers, and that each side moved a little each time, but I don't think I'd want to put this out.

It makes him look like a weak negotiator in one of a couple of ways:

1) He's negotiating against himself, sending a proposal and then sending another if the agent doesn't respond or accept; or
2) He's neither putting his best foot forward, nor drawing any lines in the sand. If pushed, he'll continue to send more proposals.

If you're doing a deal and you're serious about it, there's only so many back-and-forths you should be doing on the main numbers. You should have a pretty strong idea of what you're willing to do at the outset, and what you won't do. If you're an agent negotiating with Holland, how do you take him seriously if he keeps upping his proposal?

Not sure sharing that they were in the 5x$5MM range for Larsson is a detail I'd want to leak either. Says A) they were willing to do a stupid overpay and B) he didn't want to be here, even for demonstrably more money.

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #792327 is a reply to message #789646 ]
Tue, 28 September 2021 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Larsson on needing a fresh start in Seattle

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/krakens-larsson-ready-f resh-start-losing-father-edmonton/

Think many had the idea that suddenly losing his father here was a big part of it, and he seems to confirm as much in the interview. Best of luck to him in Seattle, except when he plays us.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #792343 is a reply to message #792327 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

He had a pretty traumatic experience while in Edmonton, I can understand just wanting to go somewhere else to maybe help with the healing.

Re: Larsson a Kraken [message #792402 is a reply to message #792343 ]
Thu, 30 September 2021 16:24 Go to previous message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I was pretty salty that he decided to leave, but this article certainly provides all the context necessary to be ok with it.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Trade Hall to Devils for Larsson
Next Topic:Oil retiring Hall’s jersey number
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca