Oilers » Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478258]
Thu, 30 April 2009 16:42 Go to next message
nickxero  is currently offline nickxero

No Cups

As per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277073

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable." -Conn Smythe

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478262 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Thu, 30 April 2009 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Not a surprise, but it's straight from the Czech's mouth.

He HAS been kicking ass at the Worlds.

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable." -Conn Smythe

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478263 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Thu, 30 April 2009 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Awesome getting some positive press. Comments like that from such a big name is fantastic.

As for the actual player, would depend on the contract.

Having the Aleses/Alice/Alesiceses on the same worlds team I'm sure helped him get some insider perspective.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478264 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Thu, 30 April 2009 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

No Cups

"While the 37-year-old plans to play out the final year of his contract with Avangard Omsk of the Continental Hockey League next season, he hasn't ruled out a return to the NHL in the future."

This still does not sound like it will take place next season.

"If I would be on the third or fourth line, I would probably be in the NHL because you don't have to produce every night."

Does this mean we may be able to have him for 3rd or 4th line money? And I mean normal 3rd and 4th line money...

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478265 is a reply to message #478264 ]
Thu, 30 April 2009 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regulator  is currently offline Regulator

No Cups

Regulator wrote on Wed, 15 April 2009 15:14

Reunite Renney and Jagr, and the Oilers finally get that 'star' to play with Hemsky -even if for one year if we can't do anything major on the trade front.

My prediction is coming ever closer to being true.....

dkb19 wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 13:05 (re: Horcoff)

He's like a mastercard comercial, alot of what he does is priceless.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478268 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Thu, 30 April 2009 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mAD~mOD  is currently offline mAD~mOD

No Cups

Does this mean that the Oil can trade Penner or Horcoff to Russia and dump their salary?

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478271 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Thu, 30 April 2009 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkknight  is currently offline darkknight

No Cups

Even an older Jagr would still be better then every player we have on our team. He's the third best player i've seen in my lifetime and would love to have him here. He's no savior for the team by any means, but he's a great player and would create a great, positive buzz around the team.

It would sure be great to have him next year though...

He shoots, he Sykoras

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478321 is a reply to message #478271 ]
Fri, 01 May 2009 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitty_Gritty_Smytty  is currently offline Nitty_Gritty_Smytty

No Cups

darkknight wrote on Thu, 30 April 2009 20:10

Even an older Jagr would still be better then every player we have on our team. He's the third best player i've seen in my lifetime and would love to have him here. He's no savior for the team by any means, but he's a great player and would create a great, positive buzz around the team.

It would sure be great to have him next year though...

Yeah, this would be a much bigger deal if there weren't another year on his contract or if he somehow tried to get out of it. You never know....a 39 yr old Jagr though, not the best of options. And who knows what kind of position we'll be in at the end of next year.

"Oil is thicker than blood." - The Great One #99

"I'm gonna go there, do my best to make the playoffs and win that cup...so I can bring it down here to Edmonton...because that's where my heart is." - Ryan Smyth #94

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478328 is a reply to message #478321 ]
Sat, 02 May 2009 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

39 yr old Jagr?

See Adam Oates.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478341 is a reply to message #478328 ]
Sat, 02 May 2009 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MyBestGuess  is currently offline MyBestGuess

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Sat, 02 May 2009 09:24

39 yr old Jagr?

See Adam Oates.

Fair enough, but unless we want Hemmer to walk away as a UFA when his deal is up, we'll need to look at bringing in some star power to play along side him. Who better than a countryman he looks up to? For all we know, Jagr could help Hemmed get to that next level. Then again, maybe we don't want Hemmer long-term or Jagr's contract could be a huge overpay, crippling our cap flexibility. Overall I'd say yes at this point to Jagr, but more than anything wanted to point out the Hemsky contract factor which I don't think has been factored in at this point.

Oilers Goal Horn
http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=6B5D44535654

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478343 is a reply to message #478341 ]
Sat, 02 May 2009 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

No Cups

I still think trading Hemsky is our best shot at aquiring a Superstar player under 35.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478359 is a reply to message #478343 ]
Sun, 03 May 2009 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sat, 02 May 2009 20:10

I still think trading Hemsky is our best shot at aquiring a Superstar player under 35.

I disagree they could send another RFA offer that would cost the future but they could do it like vanek.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478433 is a reply to message #478359 ]
Mon, 04 May 2009 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I like Brownlee's take on Jagr's sudden interest in our team. Anyone catch a read of his article on another website?

http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/05/ncfom-ii-jagr-revisited/

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478440 is a reply to message #478433 ]
Mon, 04 May 2009 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

He said: “Yes such an opportunity really existed. The teams had discussed how that could be fulfilled. But it did not depend on me. Should Omsk ask me to join Edmonton, I’d do that, but that was not something I desired myself.”

Now, apparently, he does.

I think this is just a politically correct comment. While he was playing for one team, would he be expected to imply he'd rather be playing for someone else? I don't think that would be productive.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478449 is a reply to message #478440 ]
Mon, 04 May 2009 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

oilerinvan wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 15:34

I think this is just a politically correct comment. While he was playing for one team, would he be expected to imply he'd rather be playing for someone else? I don't think that would be productive.

I thought that originally, but to counter that he has changed his tune completely with 1 year left on his contract. It is really conflicting.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478465 is a reply to message #478449 ]
Mon, 04 May 2009 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 16:39

oilerinvan wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 15:34

I thought that originally, but to counter that he has changed his tune completely with 1 year left on his contract. It is really conflicting.

You could be right. It seems there is a difference between one year left on the contract and about to enter the playoffs as far as context.

Regardless, he does have a year left with Omsk and he also does say he plans on playing for them. Jagr will still be a beast on the puck a year from now. If he is an affordable beast (3rd or 4th line money) he would be welcome.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478565 is a reply to message #478465 ]
Tue, 05 May 2009 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Free Agent

I'm not sure, but Jagr's comments sound suspiciously like a "If I wasn't married I'd totally go out with you" sympathy line.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478567 is a reply to message #478565 ]
Tue, 05 May 2009 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Paul Fistinyourface wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 17:49

I'm not sure, but Jagr's comments sound suspiciously like a "If I wasn't married I'd totally go out with you" sympathy line.

icon_nod

So, did he just promise us that as soon as his divorce is finalized, he will go out with us? I feel so used. Especially since we may have to overpay him to do it.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #478629 is a reply to message #478567 ]
Wed, 06 May 2009 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
baggedmilk  is currently offline baggedmilk

No Cups

oilerinvan wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 17:54

Paul Fistinyourface wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 17:49

icon_nod

So, did he just promise us that as soon as his divorce is finalized, he will go out with us? I feel so used. Especially since we may have to overpay him to do it.

That's the big thing. He will be pushing 40 and we'll probably have to throw big money at him just to get him here. Not worth it. Unless he gets over himself, takes a paycut, and grows back the mullet circa '92.

http://www.jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com

http://www.twitter.com/JSBMrevolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqfZ9w6Pi0

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #479087 is a reply to message #478433 ]
Mon, 11 May 2009 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raoul Duke  is currently offline Raoul Duke

No Cups

Brownlee's take is completely wrong though. What he seems to forget is that Jagr was willing to sign in Edmonton if given more than 1 year. He didn't get that from Lowe and went to Russia where he was given a more stable contract.

Now, it'll be two years later and he might get that deal. When the Oilers could have had him for 3, they'll have played themselves into just 1, and killing 2 years of an aging superstar.

Kudos, Kevin Lowe. Your contract negotiations are legendary.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #479106 is a reply to message #479087 ]
Mon, 11 May 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Raoul Duke wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 14:49

Brownlee's take is completely wrong though. What he seems to forget is that Jagr was willing to sign in Edmonton if given more than 1 year. He didn't get that from Lowe and went to Russia where he was given a more stable contract.

Now, it'll be two years later and he might get that deal. When the Oilers could have had him for 3, they'll have played themselves into just 1, and killing 2 years of an aging superstar.

Kudos, Kevin Lowe. Your contract negotiations are legendary.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Jagr wanted more money, not a longer contract. He simply isn't worth it. He's all 'bout the benjamins nothing more.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #479109 is a reply to message #479106 ]
Mon, 11 May 2009 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raoul Duke  is currently offline Raoul Duke

No Cups

Well, you're just wrong then. He wanted longer term, the money Edmonton offered was substantial for one year.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #479148 is a reply to message #479106 ]
Mon, 11 May 2009 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 17:09

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Jagr wanted more money, not a longer contract. He simply isn't worth it. He's all 'bout the benjamins nothing more.

This is where I wish I was wise enough to pull up the right article to prove this point. I know I've read on a couple occasions that Jagr wanted a 2 year deal. And when the boy is over 35, that's an incredible risk if he just walks for year 2 -- so what Jagr wanted is simply unrealistic to me in this CBA.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #479163 is a reply to message #479148 ]
Tue, 12 May 2009 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

MJ wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 23:03

This is where I wish I was wise enough to pull up the right article to prove this point. I know I've read on a couple occasions that Jagr wanted a 2 year deal. And when the boy is over 35, that's an incredible risk if he just walks for year 2 -- so what Jagr wanted is simply unrealistic to me in this CBA.

Took me a while to prove you correct. This article is the closest I've come.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/oilers/st ory.html?id=c692c865-2b3e-4b00-85de-e566512fd36c

My previous post comments retracted. The reason they were leery was because of a 7 mil cap hit if Jagr wanted to retire after one year.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:51]

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #479202 is a reply to message #479148 ]
Tue, 12 May 2009 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
baggedmilk  is currently offline baggedmilk

No Cups

Quote:

Exact reason why a two year deal for Roloson should be out of the picture. Makes no sense to the Oilers, and I'm thinking there can't be many teams that would give him more than one year at a time.

http://www.jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com

http://www.twitter.com/JSBMrevolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqfZ9w6Pi0

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #480412 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Wed, 27 May 2009 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So, what is the likelihood of seeing Jaromir in copper & blue?

In the post presser scrum, Renney was asked about it and he just smirked and said "We have a very good relationship."

I hope Tambo is telling him how much of a saint he'll look like in the post-lockout world if he signs to a 2yr/4mil contract or something ridiculous.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #480426 is a reply to message #480412 ]
Wed, 27 May 2009 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotLeeFogolin  is currently offline NotLeeFogolin

No Cups

nickxero wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 15:01

I hope Tambo is telling him how much of a saint he'll look like in the post-lockout world if he signs to a 2yr/4mil contract or something ridiculous.

I would cry. Honestly. Pure joy.

Burke > Tambellini

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #480427 is a reply to message #480412 ]
Wed, 27 May 2009 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

nickxero wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 15:01

So, what is the likelihood of seeing Jaromir in copper & blue?

In the post presser scrum, Renney was asked about it and he just smirked and said "We have a very good relationship."

My thoughts? Don't hold your breath this summer...I think they'll try...but it does sound like he's committed to playing another year in Russia.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #480521 is a reply to message #480427 ]
Thu, 28 May 2009 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kev9in  is currently offline kev9in

No Cups

Renney on the Team 1260 this morning, stated that there has been no mention at all from Pat, Steve or Kevin in regards to pursuing Jagr.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #480534 is a reply to message #480521 ]
Thu, 28 May 2009 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotLeeFogolin  is currently offline NotLeeFogolin

No Cups

kev9in wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 11:01

Renney on the Team 1260 this morning, stated that there has been no mention at all from Pat, Steve or Kevin in regards to pursuing Jagr.

I think he wouldn't be able to answer otherwise on public radio in May.

I'll add to that: these guys lie through their teeth all the time. Out of necessity, mind you, but it's still lies.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:53]

Burke > Tambellini

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #791127 is a reply to message #478258 ]
Thu, 12 August 2021 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

And in one interview, the tale of Jaromir Jagr bring a bit of a tragic feel to it.

https://www.tsn.ca/jaromir-jagr-kladno-knights-1.1680823

Quote:

Do you know why I'm still playing?" Jagr told The Hockey News. "I have a responsibility to the club, otherwise I wouldn't fly here and I wouldn't be making a fool of myself. But if I quit, the partners and sponsors would leave and the club may be done. I have no choice. People don't understand it, but I don't care. Only God will judge me. I expect much more from myself, and I also believe that I have it in me

I always just figured he loved playing and just didn't ever want to stop, but it turns out he is doing it as a duty to his father and the team. Kind of crapy to think that sponsors would pull out if he just stopped playing, so in a way they are forcing him to play until his body can't do it anymore. Sad to think too that he sees this as making a fool of himself, but if you were once considered the best in the world and now you struggle to score in a lower Czech league, I guess you would feel that way, even if being 49 years old is a really good excuse.

edit: sorry, when searching for a thread on Jagr I didn't realize this was in the Oilers forum.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #791128 is a reply to message #791127 ]
Thu, 12 August 2021 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Thu, 12 August 2021 15:04

And in one interview, the tale of Jaromir Jagr bring a bit of a tragic feel to it.

https://www.tsn.ca/jaromir-jagr-kladno-knights-1.1680823

Quote:

Do you know why I'm still playing?" Jagr told The Hockey News. "I have a responsibility to the club, otherwise I wouldn't fly here and I wouldn't be making a fool of myself. But if I quit, the partners and sponsors would leave and the club may be done. I have no choice. People don't understand it, but I don't care. Only God will judge me. I expect much more from myself, and I also believe that I have it in me

I always just figured he loved playing and just didn't ever want to stop, but it turns out he is doing it as a duty to his father and the team. Kind of crapy to think that sponsors would pull out if he just stopped playing, so in a way they are forcing him to play until his body can't do it anymore. Sad to think too that he sees this as making a fool of himself, but if you were once considered the best in the world and now you struggle to score in a lower Czech league, I guess you would feel that way, even if being 49 years old is a really good excuse.

edit: sorry, when searching for a thread on Jagr I didn't realize this was in the Oilers forum.

I love the 11 year thread bump! So much history and so much change since then. I can't even begin to tell you how different my life was in 2009.

Semi relevant: it sounds like Barcelona is having trouble with ticket sales and sponsors since old whatshisname left earlier this week.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Jagr says Oilers would be his 1st choice [message #791165 is a reply to message #791128 ]
Fri, 13 August 2021 14:17 Go to previous message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

I truly thought this was going to be a new quote from Jagr saying he wanted to come to Edmonton for another kick at the NHL at 49...haha It's even funnier because I've read the article and knew he'd said that about playing right now.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Previous Topic:Oilers to Require Vaccination / Negative Test
Next Topic:Koekkoek 2 years, $925k
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca