This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791063]
Wed, 11 August 2021 11:54 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Per Oilers twitter

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/142548717492186726 5?s=20

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers
I N K E D Writing hand

The #Oilers have signed forward Tyler Benson to a one-year, two-way contract extension.

#LetsGoOilers

Bob Stauffer says he will compete with Shore and Perlini for a bottom 6 LW spot. He will have to clear waivers if they send him down.

I really hope they don't lose him on waivers due to coach bias. We know that Tippett loves Shore, and he also has a connection to Perlini in Arizona.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791065 is a reply to message #791063 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Why is it always considered "coaches bias" when it comes to a player like Benson. Whatever happened to a young player in the position that Benson is in actually WINNING a job rather than the old days where just show up and if you are breathing, you get a job? Whenever camp comes out, there are always certain players who look great in camp and are all the talk. I have yet to hear a camp report where Benson was all the talk, he's always been just OK.

I know some fans won't like to hear this as they like to make excuses but he needs to come into camp and stand out for a change rather than just be in the pack. I get players do need opportunity but the days of just showing up and breathing means you get opportunity should be over. If he wants a job, time to set up and take the job. It's not like the Oilers bottom 6 has been just loaded with amazing players. 3 guys who played in it - Haas, Nygard, P.Russell, are in Europe because they can't NHL players. If Devin Shore who's a 12/13 forward is this huge obstacle that he can't overcome, then maybe that says something about him.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 August 2021 12:23]

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791069 is a reply to message #791065 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 11:20

Why is it always considered "coaches bias" when it comes to a player like Benson. Whatever happened to a young player in the position that Benson is in actually WINNING a job rather than the old days where just show up and if you are breathing, you get a job? Whenever camp comes out, there are always certain players who look great in camp and are all the talk. I have yet to hear a camp report where Benson was all the talk, he's always been just OK.

I know some fans won't like to hear this as they like to make excuses but he needs to come into camp and stand out for a change rather than just be in the pack. I get players do need opportunity but the days of just showing up and breathing means you get opportunity should be over. If he wants a job, time to set up and take the job. It's not like the Oilers bottom 6 has been just loaded with amazing players. 3 guys who played in it - Haas, Nygard, P.Russell, are in Europe because they can't NHL players. If Devin Shore who's a 12/13 forward is this huge obstacle that he can't overcome, then maybe that says something about him.

Was there even a camp last year? He was probably ready, but he didn't even get an opportunity. I mean they could have called him up like they did with McLeod, but they chose to stick with depth that scored at an abysmal rate. So yeah, I do call coaches bias on that one.

This year though, camp really shouldn't matter much. How Benson performs in a two week camp is much less important than his results over the past 5 years. I think he's earned the spot on the roster already, at the very least. Benson has 141 points in 156 regular season games in the AHL. He's put in the time and lived in the craphole that is Bakersfield California. He's gotten encouraging results. That means a lot more to me then a 2 week camp.

If they put Benson on waivers because Shore scores a couple more goals in camp, well that's bad decision making. We know he can't score. Unfortunately, Shore looks like he tries really hard though. Coach likes that.

Clean house or bust

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791073 is a reply to message #791069 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 12:50

Was there even a camp last year? He was probably ready, but he didn't even get an opportunity. I mean they could have called him up like they did with McLeod, but they chose to stick with depth that scored at an abysmal rate. So yeah, I do call coaches bias on that one.

This year though, camp really shouldn't matter much. How Benson performs in a two week camp is much less important than his results over the past 5 years. I think he's earned the spot on the roster already, at the very least. Benson has 141 points in 156 regular season games in the AHL. He's put in the time and lived in the craphole that is Bakersfield California. He's gotten encouraging results. That means a lot more to me then a 2 week camp.

If they put Benson on waivers because Shore scores a couple more goals in camp, well that's bad decision making. We know he can't score. Unfortunately, Shore looks like he tries really hard though. Coach likes that.

Not to mention, we've seen that the coach has a firm bias towards veteran players over young ones - he has very little tolerance for any mistakes from guys in the front part of their career, but you can score 3 own goals in 4 games as a veteran and still play a regular shift.

I mean, Slater Koekkoek missed 3 months with a broken collarbone, came back and was immediately up the depth chart over Jones - who never saw a moment of playoff hockey. It's not like Koekkoek was great either. We all know about Bouchard's season too.

With the bottom 6, he's shown a preference for rolling out guys in their late 20s, despite pathetically bad results. The party line is that he has little tolerance for risk-taking in the bottom half of the roster, but that in itself is a risk, since the bottom lines basically just hang on for dear life under his current scheme.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791079 is a reply to message #791073 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't buy what I think is a BS excuse some fans use that the "coach is bias towards vets". The coach is bias towards trying to win games. I have seen posted in this site for YEARS about the Oilers not being good enough and they need to win. If a young guy wasn't ready or good enough despite what the arm chair GM's in here think, they didn't play.

For years, the Oilers treated the NHL like a development league for young guys. Their team lacked talent so they gave an unready guy like a Benson an automatic spot no matter what then watched him flounder in the NHL because he wasn't good enough or ready. Lighting up the AHL doesn't mean squat. They had a small camp last year, Benson was there and Shore, a guy on a PTO, beat him out for a job. That's no ones fault but Benson's. If he was good enough, he would have made the team. The whole Covid thing only made things harder because you couldn't call up guys like you normally would. Benson is a local kid and if he had a remotely decent camp at all, the media would be all over him pumping his tires like he's the next one. He hasn't done anything in all the years he's been in the camp to stand out. I am pulling for Benson because I like the fact he's a local kid and mostly because they used a very high 2nd to get him. Players taken as high as he was are supposed to be NHLers in my opinion. If he wants a job, then win a a damn job. Go out there play hard, bang some bodies if you have to even though that's not your game. He's supposedly real good on the wall, well go out there and win some puck battles against Nurse or someone of note. Dominating some junior kid or never will be NHLer does nothing. Pick out the guys you know are on the team and go our there and win battles against them. Anytime he is up against Shore or whoever he sees as standing in his way, he better beat that guy in every drill. Win yourself a job.

Blaming the coach because he is "bias" I think is a lazy cope out in my opinion. The coach ultimately wants to win so make yourself stand out as a guy that looks to be someone that can help the team win and he will get a job.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791088 is a reply to message #791079 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 15:49

I don't buy what I think is a BS excuse some fans use that the "coach is bias towards vets". The coach is bias towards trying to win games. I have seen posted in this site for YEARS about the Oilers not being good enough and they need to win. If a young guy wasn't ready or good enough despite what the arm chair GM's in here think, they didn't play.

For years, the Oilers treated the NHL like a development league for young guys. Their team lacked talent so they gave an unready guy like a Benson an automatic spot no matter what then watched him flounder in the NHL because he wasn't good enough or ready. Lighting up the AHL doesn't mean squat. They had a small camp last year, Benson was there and Shore, a guy on a PTO, beat him out for a job. That's no ones fault but Benson's. If he was good enough, he would have made the team. The whole Covid thing only made things harder because you couldn't call up guys like you normally would. Benson is a local kid and if he had a remotely decent camp at all, the media would be all over him pumping his tires like he's the next one. He hasn't done anything in all the years he's been in the camp to stand out. I am pulling for Benson because I like the fact he's a local kid and mostly because they used a very high 2nd to get him. Players taken as high as he was are supposed to be NHLers in my opinion. If he wants a job, then win a a damn job. Go out there play hard, bang some bodies if you have to even though that's not your game. He's supposedly real good on the wall, well go out there and win some puck battles against Nurse or someone of note. Dominating some junior kid or never will be NHLer does nothing. Pick out the guys you know are on the team and go our there and win battles against them. Anytime he is up against Shore or whoever he sees as standing in his way, he better beat that guy in every drill. Win yourself a job.

Blaming the coach because he is "bias" I think is a lazy cope out in my opinion. The coach ultimately wants to win so make yourself stand out as a guy that looks to be someone that can help the team win and he will get a job.

You are putting a lot of emphasis on training camp. How many times have we seen some kid dominate the NHL preseason to only disappear to Europe?

In the past we pushed kids into the lineup too fast and now they never get a sniff. Oil are right up against the cap. These contracts for Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Perlini are important. Sure would be nice to nail one value deal in the bottom 6.

For the record. I don’t mind Shore, but Turris, Russell, Nygaard, Haas, etc could’ve been filled internally.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791090 is a reply to message #791088 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 17:24

You are putting a lot of emphasis on training camp. How many times have we seen some kid dominate the NHL preseason to only disappear to Europe?

In the past we pushed kids into the lineup too fast and now they never get a sniff. Oil are right up against the cap. These contracts for Benson, Marody, Bouchard, Perlini are important. Sure would be nice to nail one value deal in the bottom 6.

For the record. I don’t mind Shore, but Turris, Russell, Nygaard, Haas, etc could’ve been filled internally.

Also, we pretty much only rushed first round picks in to the lineup because it helped to sell hope during the dark days. It wasn't like we were rushing every 18-20 year old in to the lineup immediately. I don't think a single 2nd round pick (like Benson) was rushed in fact.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 August 2021 17:45]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791089 is a reply to message #791079 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Do you really think anyone had time to "beat out" someone at camp?

First off, that should never, ever happen. Even in a full camp, you should not make critical decisions on your team based on what happens in a couple week stretch playing against sub-par competition. I'm fine with paying lip service to that, but your team really should be pretty well set and that shouldn't be flipped upside down because someone had a hot or cold streak in meaningless scrimmages or exhibitions.

Secondly, there were only a few days, and the Oilers have spent two years talking about "over-ripening". They were going to keep guys like Benson in the AHL as long as they could, because someone said that's the Detroit model (although the Red Wings actual history doesn't support that).

Thirdly, if the coach had brought up Benson and he failed to make an impression and then he went back to using vets that were more solid, or if the vets hadn't sucked and so there was no cause to try anything different, I could agree with your points potentially, but the fact is, Benson was one of the AHL's leading scorers, and our depth players were historically awful. They put up pathetically little offence and just got buried defensively - the area where the bulk of them are supposed to be decent. Shore was literally one of the worst players in the entire league. Haas accomplished nothing for an entire season. Patrick Russell got 8 more NHL games! Other than some of the challenges around COVID protocols, there was nothing stopping the Oilers from trying out Benson or Marody or both along with McLeod. They did not and instead just kept going with what was not working. That suggests a level of stubbornness or bias for Tippett.

The other thing I saw along this line today that made me cringe was this:

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@jimmathesonnhl

Tyler Benson is clearly too good for AHL (point-a-game) and now has to prove he's an NHLer. He's got offensive tools obviously but like many bottom six hopefuls has to be very good at one thing to stick.

Matheson is clearly a dinosaur and out of touch, but I think that he's still closer to the thinking of Oilers brass than most in here. This "specialist" theory for the bottom 6 has been a complete and total failure for over a decade here, but the Oilers keep just hoping it can finally work for them. Just get good players who are better than other teams bottom 6 players. Virtually anyone can be taught to penalty kill and block shots.

The best teams we've had have generally had really good depth. I don't know why the Oilers are stuck on this stupid theory, but it's bonkers. The only thing I could see having some SLIGHT merit is having a strong faceoff guy there if one of your top two isn't one.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791093 is a reply to message #791089 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 17:27

First off, that should never, ever happen. Even in a full camp, you should not make critical decisions on your team based on what happens in a couple week stretch playing against sub-par competition. I'm fine with paying lip service to that, but your team really should be pretty well set and that shouldn't be flipped upside down because someone had a hot or cold streak in meaningless scrimmages or exhibitions.

Secondly, there were only a few days, and the Oilers have spent two years talking about "over-ripening". They were going to keep guys like Benson in the AHL as long as they could, because someone said that's the Detroit model (although the Red Wings actual history doesn't support that).

Thirdly, if the coach had brought up Benson and he failed to make an impression and then he went back to using vets that were more solid, or if the vets hadn't sucked and so there was no cause to try anything different, I could agree with your points potentially, but the fact is, Benson was one of the AHL's leading scorers, and our depth players were historically awful. They put up pathetically little offence and just got buried defensively - the area where the bulk of them are supposed to be decent. Shore was literally one of the worst players in the entire league. Haas accomplished nothing for an entire season. Patrick Russell got 8 more NHL games! Other than some of the challenges around COVID protocols, there was nothing stopping the Oilers from trying out Benson or Marody or both along with McLeod. They did not and instead just kept going with what was not working. That suggests a level of stubbornness or bias for Tippett.

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@jimmathesonnhl

Tyler Benson is clearly too good for AHL (point-a-game) and now has to prove he's an NHLer. He's got offensive tools obviously but like many bottom six hopefuls has to be very good at one thing to stick.

Matheson is clearly a dinosaur and out of touch, but I think that he's still closer to the thinking of Oilers brass than most in here. This "specialist" theory for the bottom 6 has been a complete and total failure for over a decade here, but the Oilers keep just hoping it can finally work for them. Just get good players who are better than other teams bottom 6 players. Virtually anyone can be taught to penalty kill and block shots.

The best teams we've had have generally had really good depth. I don't know why the Oilers are stuck on this stupid theory, but it's bonkers. The only thing I could see having some SLIGHT merit is having a strong faceoff guy there if one of your top two isn't one.

People seem to blindly remember the glory years where the broadcasters would label Tikkanen as a shut down specialist despite the fact he was consistently scoring 20 plus goals a year, even after Gretzky left town. Jarret Stoll was a face off specialist and a great PK guy. He also scored 22 goals and gad 68 points.

I hear you, but I’m still hoping it’s the media who perpetuates this ideology. I know it appears that the management group thinks this way, but this top 9 looks to be a strong forechecking team. I’m hopeful.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791094 is a reply to message #791093 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 17:41

Adam wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 17:27

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@jimmathesonnhl

People seem to blindly remember the glory years where the broadcasters would label Tikkanen as a shut down specialist despite the fact he was consistently scoring 20 plus goals a year, even after Gretzky left town. Jarret Stoll was a face off specialist and a great PK guy. He also scored 22 goals and gad 68 points.

I hear you, but I’m still hoping it’s the media who perpetuates this ideology. I know it appears that the management group thinks this way, but this top 9 looks to be a strong forechecking team. I’m hopeful.

We have heard them speak specifically this way in the past. Now, that includes a lot of different crappy managers there, but would it surprise anyone if Lowe and Nicholson believed fully in that now? Or Holland for that matter? It's not like he hasn't lived up to his dinosaur reputation in every way.

Worth noting, I wouldn't ever consider Tikkanen as depth player. He most often played with Gretzky and Kurri in his first years with the team, and was a first liner in the 1990 playoffs with over a point per game in the post-season that year. He's 43rd all-time in playoff scoring.

I was more thinking along the lines of the actual 4th line for the 1990 Stanley Cup playoffs - Murphy/Graves/Gelinas aka the Kid Line. They did provide energy, but they were all legitimately good players who were better than the other teams 3rd and 4th lines. Within a couple years, Murphy was scoring a point per game, and a year after that Graves was setting the New York Rangers single season goal record. Gelinas was a solid player for another 15 years after that.

If you look at the early Oilers, guys like Lumley, Hughes, Hunter, MacTavish were all players who could really play. MacTavish was known as a faceoff guy but he was also a really good penalty killer and two-way player (I believe that he also got Selke votes alongside Tikkanen) AND he scored high 30s to low 50s in points every year. There weren't a lot of passengers on those teams or players who just dumped the puck out for 10 minutes a night and hoped for the best while giving the actual players a rest.

A guy like Shore, who only is good at penalty killing for the 1-2 minutes a night he's out there doing that is a liability if his other 8 minutes are all bad.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #791086 is a reply to message #791073 ]
Wed, 11 August 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 14:34

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 11 August 2021 12:50

Not to mention, we've seen that the coach has a firm bias towards veteran players over young ones - he has very little tolerance for any mistakes from guys in the front part of their career, but you can score 3 own goals in 4 games as a veteran and still play a regular shift.

I mean, Slater Koekkoek missed 3 months with a broken collarbone, came back and was immediately up the depth chart over Jones - who never saw a moment of playoff hockey. It's not like Koekkoek was great either. We all know about Bouchard's season too.

With the bottom 6, he's shown a preference for rolling out guys in their late 20s, despite pathetically bad results. The party line is that he has little tolerance for risk-taking in the bottom half of the roster, but that in itself is a risk, since the bottom lines basically just hang on for dear life under his current scheme.

Tipp also played a major role in bringing Turris to Edmonton, despite the analytic world saying he was washed up. Turris took a spit out of camp that could have been easily replaced by Marody or Benson last season. I doubt it’s possible to be worse.

I want to live Tipp due to his connection to my home town, but he’s a dinosaur. Never thought I’d clamour for Woodcock, but speaking about holding guys back? He’s going to get a lot of interest after the first NHL coach gets turfed.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811034 is a reply to message #791063 ]
Sat, 06 August 2022 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Locked up the last key piece of last year’s conference finals runner up!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811036 is a reply to message #791063 ]
Sat, 06 August 2022 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

This lad has finally achieve peak overripeness. I see great things ahead.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811038 is a reply to message #811036 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'm glad it's a 2 way as I don't see him as an NHLer on the Oilers. This isn't meant as a shot but I see Benson on the Oilers as the type of guys they had a few years ago when they didn't have enough depth. I was actually surprise he's back as I expected him to sign somewhere else, a team like Arizona is a good example as they want to be bad to get high picks but need live bodies to fill out a roster. I've said it before, in the NHL unless your skill level is elite elite, you need to be able to skate. I don't think he has the boots to play a regular spot.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811049 is a reply to message #811038 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 08:24

I'm glad it's a 2 way as I don't see him as an NHLer on the Oilers. This isn't meant as a shot but I see Benson on the Oilers as the type of guys they had a few years ago when they didn't have enough depth. I was actually surprise he's back as I expected him to sign somewhere else, a team like Arizona is a good example as they want to be bad to get high picks but need live bodies to fill out a roster. I've said it before, in the NHL unless your skill level is elite elite, you need to be able to skate. I don't think he has the boots to play a regular spot.

I do. You're right "his boots", that is the knock against Benson - his skating/hustle. He can pass he can stick handle he can do a lot of good things. To be fair though, in the games he played last season he was a better skater and he changes his game a little bit to become a grinder.

Maybe it's me holding out a candle for him, I think there is a player there, a NHL level player. If he can just get back some foot speed.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811050 is a reply to message #811049 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 14:23

I do. You're right "his boots", that is the knock against Benson - his skating/hustle. He can pass he can stick handle he can do a lot of good things. To be fair though, in the games he played last season he was a better skater and he changes his game a little bit to become a grinder.

Maybe it's me holding out a candle for him, I think there is a player there, a NHL level player. If he can just get back some foot speed.

I do think there are fans who maybe like the story of Benson from Edmonton being an Oiler that they overlook some things in his game. The game is getting faster so I think unless your skills are elite, it will be difficult for Benson to make an impact on the Oilers. I look at the Oilers as a team that is in win now mode so every position is important. I have no issue with Benson being on the team if he legit wins a job and is better than other guys but I am of the opinion that the time to try guys out are over for the Oilers. Other teams have the chance to get him for free last year, I think he passed through waivers twice so I don't think being worried about losing him on waivers is a factor. If he outright wins a job, great if he doesn't, go to Bakersfield and help Bourgault develop.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811054 is a reply to message #811050 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 14:41

I do think there are fans who maybe like the story of Benson from Edmonton being an Oiler that they overlook some things in his game. The game is getting faster so I think unless your skills are elite, it will be difficult for Benson to make an impact on the Oilers. I look at the Oilers as a team that is in win now mode so every position is important. I have no issue with Benson being on the team if he legit wins a job and is better than other guys but I am of the opinion that the time to try guys out are over for the Oilers. Other teams have the chance to get him for free last year, I think he passed through waivers twice so I don't think being worried about losing him on waivers is a factor. If he outright wins a job, great if he doesn't, go to Bakersfield and help Bourgault develop.

Aren't you the guy who gets upset about anyone bringing negativity to the table in relation to Oilers players, management, etc.?

Shouldn't you be dusting off your pom-poms, and considering buying a Benson jersey (now that he can get his number back off Brassard!)

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811056 is a reply to message #811054 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 15:51

Aren't you the guy who gets upset about anyone bringing negativity to the table in relation to Oilers players, management, etc.?

Shouldn't you be dusting off your pom-poms, and considering buying a Benson jersey (now that he can get his number back off Brassard!)

I don't think Benson is an NHL player so why would I waste money on his jersey. In my opinion, Benson was the type of player that made the Oilers a few years ago when they lacked NHL talent. In the Ty Rattie range. He'd look great cruising the wings of the Coyotes. Maybe Benson and Kassian can make up 2/3 of the Yote second line.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811059 is a reply to message #811056 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 16:18

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 15:51

I don't think Benson is an NHL player so why would I waste money on his jersey. In my opinion, Benson was the type of player that made the Oilers a few years ago when they lacked NHL talent. In the Ty Rattie range. He'd look great cruising the wings of the Coyotes. Maybe Benson and Kassian can make up 2/3 of the Yote second line.

Again, that's a lot of negativity about someone who plays for the Oilers. Don't you remember this:

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 June 2022 08:20

I wish this site was more like I felt it used to be, a place to have real discussions about the team vs what it's turned into now, a giant complaint fest here about the team. You can look in almost every single thread involving sports and find a giant message train about why this player sucks, this player makes too much money so he sucks, the coach sucks, scouts suck, management sucks, the media sucks, the owner sucks. Let's talk about a bad trade from 10 yrs ago and why it still sucks. Let's talk about why this free agent who they haven't signed yet, don't know if they even will but he sucks and the contract will probably suck.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811057 is a reply to message #811050 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

I also think there are fans who forget just how talented and smart this kid is and that he had a great deal of misfortune with a serious core injury and worked his a$$ off to get to the NHL anyway. ie. you

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811058 is a reply to message #811057 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 16:21

I also think there are fans who forget just how talented and smart this kid is and that he had a great deal of misfortune with a serious core injury and worked his a$$ off to get to the NHL anyway. ie. you

That injury happened in junior I believe, I can't remember the year but he only played 33 games in 16/17 and 30 games in 15/16 so it was one of those years. So we are taking 6-7 yrs ago. How is that relevant?

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811060 is a reply to message #811058 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 16:43

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 08 August 2022 16:21

That injury happened in junior I believe, I can't remember the year but he only played 33 games in 16/17 and 30 games in 15/16 so it was one of those years. So we are taking 6-7 yrs ago. How is that relevant?

I forgot, major injuries don’t have long lasting residual effects…. icon_rolleyes

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811079 is a reply to message #811060 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Injuries from 6 years ago! Give me a break man. There are TONS of very talented junior players who don't make the NHL. Go look in an European league stats page, go look in the AHL stats page, hell, go look at the U of A roster. I guarantee you will find lots of really, really high scoring former junior players in every one of those leagues.

I do not dislike the guy, I hope he does well and if he makes the Oilers and has an impact, I will cheer for him. But I am looking at this team as being in their win now window so to be in that, the time for giving the local guy who worked hard a chance just because it would be a cool story needs to be over. It's either do you help the team win or not for me. If he makes the team then he needs to make an impact right away.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811080 is a reply to message #811079 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Maybe they're going to convert him into a defenseman?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811081 is a reply to message #811080 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 August 2022 08:25

Maybe they're going to convert him into a defenseman?

Did Chris Jones join the Oilers staff? He likes to take pro players and throw them into completely different positions to see what happens.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811083 is a reply to message #791063 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

If I'm building a champion and someone asks me do I want a former AHL player of the month on my team it is a resounding "YES!"

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811084 is a reply to message #811083 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 09 August 2022 08:32

If I'm building a champion and someone asks me do I want a former AHL player of the month on my team it is a resounding "YES!"

They have. He's played 36 games, 29 last year and has 1 goal and 3 points. He turns 25 this season.

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811085 is a reply to message #811084 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 August 2022 08:35

They have. He's played 36 games, 29 last year and has 1 goal and 3 points. He turns 25 this season.

That's when NHLers peak. 25-28 and we just locked up TB for at least 33% of that window

Re: Tyler Benson Re-Signed for 1 Year [message #811088 is a reply to message #811085 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 08:50 Go to previous message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 09 August 2022 08:42

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 09 August 2022 08:35

That's when NHLers peak. 25-28 and we just locked up TB for at least 33% of that window

Then this should be his year. We should be seeing peak Tyler Benson this year. So if he doesn't make the NHL, which taking away I don't think he's an NHLer but that's just my opinion, when I look at who's on this team legit ahead of him, I am not seeing a lot of available spots for him. But if he goes down to the AHL and lights the world on fire, then by all means call him up.

Previous Topic:Greg McKegg an Oiler
Next Topic:Oilers new ECHL affiliate
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca