This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Shore Signs Two Year ExtensionPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787588 is a reply to message #787572 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 15:54

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 14:37

Worth noting - this even takes in to account the bump up that the results get when Draisaitl is on the ice without McDavid! Imagine what it looks like if it's without the top two players on the ice!!!!

The good news is that naturalstattrick.com has the answer!

The bad news is that it's not good. 29 GF / 52 GA (35.8 GF%) icon_dead

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20 202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&s core=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy &loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2021-05-15&td=2021-06- 10&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=847793 4&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

And our last 27 games of the year:

http://naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=2020202 1&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&score= all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy& loc=B&gpfilt=gpteam&fd=2021-01-13&td=2021-05-19& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp;tgp=27&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=8477934& ;amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

THis was after we lost 3 in a row to the Leafs, and then destroyed Ottawa for 3 straight games. We were firmly in the McDrai top line phase then and rode it through the rest of the year.

29.73% GF when McDrai line was not on the ice over those last 27 games. 11GF 26GA. Tippett saw no issue with that I guess. Just let that situation keep simmering. Unlikely to matter come playoff time to have 3/4 of your lines be a liability.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2021 17:16]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787611 is a reply to message #787588 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 17:11

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 15:54

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 14:37

Worth noting - this even takes in to account the bump up that the results get when Draisaitl is on the ice without McDavid! Imagine what it looks like if it's without the top two players on the ice!!!!

The good news is that naturalstattrick.com has the answer!

The bad news is that it's not good. 29 GF / 52 GA (35.8 GF%) icon_dead

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20 202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&s core=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy &loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2021-05-15&td=2021-06- 10&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=847793 4&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

And our last 27 games of the year:

http://naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=2020202 1&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&score= all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy& loc=B&gpfilt=gpteam&fd=2021-01-13&td=2021-05-19& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp;tgp=27&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=8477934& ;amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

THis was after we lost 3 in a row to the Leafs, and then destroyed Ottawa for 3 straight games. We were firmly in the McDrai top line phase then and rode it through the rest of the year.

29.73% GF when McDrai line was not on the ice over those last 27 games. 11GF 26GA. Tippett saw no issue with that I guess. Just let that situation keep simmering. Unlikely to matter come playoff time to have 3/4 of your lines be a liability.

We knew we weren't going for it this year. The team bought in to that strategy and honestly it's really nice to see everyone rowing in the same direction.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787496 is a reply to message #787471 ]
Wed, 09 June 2021 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Gosh, the more I think about this, the more this move upsets me. Not in how damaging it is, but what it forecasts. I feel like I care more about upgrading my fantasy team than Ken Holland cares about upgrading his real NHL team.

He's just checking boxes. Bring back character guys he's comfortable with. He couldn't possibly fathom looking at perhaps better options in the long offseason? This just couldn't wait. We have trash depth, why are we bringing back part of the problem for 2 more years! This is just a really lazy signing, and it's all part of a pattern of other lazy moves.

For only being here 2 years, he's done quite a bit of damage.

- Re-signed Kassian to a deal too long AND too rich after playing half a season with the best player on the planet. Box checked.
- Re-signed Kris Russel a whole year ahead of his contract expiry. Character guy, kills penalties. Box checked.
- Assembled some of the worst bottom six scoring in the league. Chiasson, Haas, Nygard, Shore, Kahun, Ennis, Turris were his contracts.
- Traded away two 2nd rounders for Athanasiou.
- Bought out Sekera a year too early. Still got 2 more years of that dead cap.

And then upcoming broadcasted moves:
- Re-sign a 40 year old Mike Smith. How could this bet go badly? Character guy. Box checked.
- Re-sign Adam Larsson for 4 years, who could very well be the 3rd best RHD next year on the Oilers. Character guy. Kills penalties. Box checked.

This is the most important offseason in my years as an Oilers fan. It's make or break time, this team needs to go on a run yesterday.

But if this is how the offseason is gonna go, I'm predicting that we blow McDavid's time here. For a manager who gets paid 5 million dollars a year, I am stunned how lazy he is. He does not seem interested in to upgrading spots. Bring back the character guys that he's comfortable with. Forget assembling the best team. He already won in Detroit. He's done it.

Clean house or bust

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787498 is a reply to message #787496 ]
Wed, 09 June 2021 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2021 23:00

Gosh, the more I think about this, the more this move upsets me. Not in how damaging it is, but what it forecasts. I feel like I care more about upgrading my fantasy team than Ken Holland cares about upgrading his real NHL team.

He's just checking boxes. Bring back character guys he's comfortable with. He couldn't possibly fathom looking at perhaps better options in the long offseason? This just couldn't wait. We have trash depth, why are we bringing back part of the problem for 2 more years! This is just a really lazy signing, and it's all part of a pattern of other lazy moves.

- Re-signed Kassian to a deal too long AND too rich after playing half a season with the best player on the planet. Box checked.
- Re-signed Kris Russel a whole year ahead of his contract expiry. Character guy, kills penalties. Box checked.
- Assembled some of the worst bottom six scoring in the league. Chiasson, Haas, Nygard, Shore, Kahun, Ennis, Turris were his contracts.

- Re-sign a 40 year old Mike Smith. How could this bet go badly? Character guy. Box checked.
- Re-sign Adam Larsson for 4 years, who could very well be the 3rd best RHD next year on the Oilers. Character guy. Kills penalties. Box checked.

This is the most important offseason in my years as an Oilers fan. It's make or break time, this team needs to go on a run yesterday.

But if this is how the offseason is gonna go, I'm predicting that we blow McDavid's time here. For a manager who gets paid 5 million dollars a year, I am stunned how lazy he is. He does not seem interested in to upgrading spots. Bring back the character guys that he's comfortable with. Forget assembling the best team. He already won in Detroit. He's done it.

In Ken's defence, I would also collect $5 million a year for doing little to nothing if someone offered it.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787499 is a reply to message #787498 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 09 June 2021 23:40

In Ken's defence, I would also collect $5 million a year for doing little to nothing if someone offered it.

Best retirement gift ever! He was all set to just move to Fiji or something and suddenly Bob Nicholson shows up at his house with the Brinks Truck backed up to the garage. And really, the bar has been set so low here that with a little concerted effort in managing fans expectation, maybe the city will praise him to the sky if they win a playoff round or two in a couple years time.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787506 is a reply to message #787496 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

There really is no other way to put this. It's lazy. Giving 2 year deals to below replacement level players. There is no good reason for a GM to do it. You can find Shore type players or better for free every season dozens of times on 100% bury-able contracts.

Just not moves you expect from a GM that is laser focused on having a productive and efficient offseason, which is what we absolutely must get this summer.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787497 is a reply to message #787471 ]
Wed, 09 June 2021 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Meh. Nothing much to see here. Definitely not worth griping about. Bottom 6 needs to be changed up, but no one expected 6 new faces did they?

Identify the players you want to keep and then fill in the holes.

Some people would be choked if we signed Nuge and Larsson before the expansion draft and many of the same would be angry if we let them free agency. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

15 years of mismanagement has caused GM PTSD. It will take a decade of solid deals to get over everything since the summer of 2006.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2021 07:22]

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787500 is a reply to message #787471 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Amazing value for a Top-6 winger for those clutch games!

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787511 is a reply to message #787500 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 03:49

hehe.

Is it bad to think that maybe we toss 2 years at a below replacement level guy as a troll move against vocal fans? The media guys really like taking this chance to disparage fans about how they're overreacting and make everyone feel bad for bashing poor Shore. It's a wonderful setup to do something actually disappointing and damaging to our chances next year.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787525 is a reply to message #787511 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 10:28

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 03:49

hehe.

Is it bad to think that maybe we toss 2 years at a below replacement level guy as a troll move against vocal fans? The media guys really like taking this chance to disparage fans about how they're overreacting and make everyone feel bad for bashing poor Shore. It's a wonderful setup to do something actually disappointing and damaging to our chances next year.

It's amazing how much of a chokehold the Oilers management has over the media here. They all are just part of selling hope. No one of them dares to challenge the team over any mistake, no matter how little. They'll go after players - no problem there! But management needs to be treated with kid gloves, because the only thing they can say that will create a negative response from the team is anything touching on them doing anything wrong.

Until the guy is fired, and then all of a sudden it's open season. Every media guy now has a rock to throw at Chiarelli and Eakins, but none of them breathed a word before they left. I guess 4-5 years from now we're going to hear about all the reservations Spector and Rishaug had about Old Man Holland too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787516 is a reply to message #787471 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What? Shore was an RFA too?

lol. Really had to rush to get this done eh? Potential offer-sheets were gonna be coming.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787526 is a reply to message #787516 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 11:11

What? Shore was an RFA too?

lol. Really had to rush to get this done eh? Potential offer-sheets were gonna be coming.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man. This team sometimes.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #787558 is a reply to message #787471 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Leave ALL of the numbers out of it. All of his history. No fancy stats, nothing but the eye test. There are a LOT of smart hockey people in here. All ages and experiences.

Can anyone tell me that Shore helped the team more than he hurt them? I find it hard to believe any person who played the game above the ODR, is over the age of 13 and has watched more than one season of NHL hockey can tell me honestly he is a positive contributor to wins.

In the end that is all that matters and with so many stats available you can prove almost any player is good or bad.
He fails the eye test, badly.

This is the only key to me;

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 13:35

I have no issue with this deal as long as Katz is willing to pay his salary to play in the AHL. Rich teams should have 3 or 4 tweeners that can step up during injuries or be sent down if not needed.

The problem is that history tells me he will sit in our bottom 6 for two years, contributing nothing.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818008 is a reply to message #787558 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Devin Shore clears waivers. Whew, I was worried.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818041 is a reply to message #818008 ]
Tue, 14 February 2023 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

He's back! Recalled this morning!

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818042 is a reply to message #818041 ]
Tue, 14 February 2023 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Maybe his plane got re-routed.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818044 is a reply to message #818041 ]
Tue, 14 February 2023 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 February 2023 10:55

Solves the Vet issue w/ the Condors and keeps McDavid happy having a workout buddy remain in town.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818045 is a reply to message #818044 ]
Tue, 14 February 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 14 February 2023 11:10

Solves the Vet issue w/ the Condors and keeps McDavid happy having a workout buddy remain in town.

Apparently the wrist injury for Kostin will keep him out a little while, thus the recall.

EDIT - Apparently Kostin on the ice this morning, as is Yamamoto. Kane and Draisaitl aren't but who knows who's in or out. Not the guys tweeting this morning apparently. Maybe this is the day Puljujarvi gets waived...

However, I like to think of this as basically a free acquisition ahead of the trade deadline. The Oilers get a good soldier, veteran player who is good in the room and brings lots of intangibles - and we get him for free! Brilliant GMing by Holland.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 February 2023 11:57]

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818047 is a reply to message #818041 ]
Tue, 14 February 2023 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

#TeamSpector will be very happy

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818061 is a reply to message #818047 ]
Wed, 15 February 2023 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

He gone!

Back to the Condors this morning (according to 1260)

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818063 is a reply to message #818061 ]
Wed, 15 February 2023 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

they fixed his plane.

Re: Shore Signs Two Year Extension [message #818068 is a reply to message #818061 ]
Wed, 15 February 2023 11:35 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 15 February 2023 09:34

He gone!

Back to the Condors this morning (according to 1260)

Team Spector will be devastated.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca