This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783867]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Calgary to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783868 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilertime  is currently offline Oilertime

No Cups

3rd game in 4 nights, and they played like it. Lots of guys had a bad night.

The main hope for the rest of the year is to avoid injuries.

https://twitter.com/Reggie__11

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783869 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Oh well, lined up as a loss due to scheduling. 3rd game in 4 days, back to back, and travel last night. Team looked gassed and had nothing to give.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783872 is a reply to message #783869 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Agreed. Agreed. One goal was a deflection. Markstrom actually looked like a 6M$ goaler out there.

CGY was the better team... but I think TIPPETT could have coached better. Kudos for getting 29/97 out there as much as possible at the end of the 2nd and all of the 3rd. But early it seamed obvious (to me anyway) that Yama was not holding up his part of the effort. Why didn't he swap out YAMA for 13 or 71??? Gawd only knows. Anyway... TIPP stayed with his strategy all the way to the "loss".
While I'm at it. Once Barry and exhaust themselves this team doesn't have a 3rd offensive option to throw out there to generate scoring chances. TIPP's refusal to find a spot for BOUCHARD is hurting this team now. And it will hurt the team in the playoffs.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 April 2021 21:52]

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783873 is a reply to message #783872 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

So flat and lacking anything to spark them into life. Possibly the flattest BOA I've seen in some time, I got no joy waking up to watch this game and little frustration either. Whilst we never looked like coming back from 2-1 down, I can't say that they looked capable of giving us a good beating.

Regroup, rest up and go full throttle on Saturday!!

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783876 is a reply to message #783873 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

I hate to drop the “schedule loss” card, but this was exactly that. They’ve had a couple of these against the Flambé this year.
I think a much different team comes out on Saturday.
Toss this hotbag out the window and move on.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783870 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Everyone came out of it healthy 🤷🏻‍♂️ Well, maybe not Kowboy buuuut

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783871 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

No injuries on a tired team after the Flames came out slashing and hacking in the first.

Meh. Bury them Saturday night.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783874 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Sooooo...they can't possibly find 1 game in almost 2 months to get Bouchard into a game, but they definitely needed to get Russell into a game to do whatever he was doing on that first goal?

Also, Barrie defending a 2 on 1 was, uh, not great. He should honestly be playing 3rd pair 5x5. Put Bear with Nurse. I saw this clip on Twitter from the Winnipeg game. Bear makes more quick, decisive plays in that 45 second clip than Russell has made all year.

https://twitter.com/KoskiWin/status/1387605902056824835?s=20

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783878 is a reply to message #783874 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 29 April 2021 22:00

Sooooo...they can't possibly find 1 game in almost 2 months to get Bouchard into a game, but they definitely needed to get Russell into a game to do whatever he was doing on that first goal?

Also, Barrie defending a 2 on 1 was, uh, not great. He should honestly be playing 3rd pair 5x5. Put Bear with Nurse. I saw this clip on Twitter from the Winnipeg game. Bear makes more quick, decisive plays in that 45 second clip than Russell has made all year.

Love how Russell got a point on our only goal just to mess with being able to evaluate his night. But yeah, just killing play all night long. Think he corsi was like 10%. Same for expected goals. Guy is a weak link and how Bouch can’t get a game ahead of even him is pretty sad.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783885 is a reply to message #783878 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 08:23

Goose wrote on Thu, 29 April 2021 22:00

Love how Russell got a point on our only goal just to mess with being able to evaluate his night. But yeah, just killing play all night long. Think he corsi was like 10%. Same for expected goals. Guy is a weak link and how Bouch can’t get a game ahead of even him is pretty sad.

I don't get the rationale of playing three relatively weak puck-moving "cycle stoppers". If they're going to sit someone, why not Kulikov? He was the one who coughed up the couple gifts to the Jets in the game before.

Tippett definitely has a bit of a blind spot for physical veteran "battlers"...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783875 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Thu, 29 April 2021 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

Well god damnit, now I owe my friend Greg a beer. Even it up on Saturday!

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783877 is a reply to message #783875 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oilers looked tired. Sloppy with the puck, gave the puck up too much. They looked very much like a team that was on it's 3rd game in 4 nights, coming off playing 2 games against your playoff match up in tougher games. Flames looked like a well rested, desperate team.

Nuge couldn't hit the side of a barn last night. Man he missed some golden looks.

Yamo going through the dreaded sophomore jinx. The guy gets set up A LOT and can't bury them. I hope he figures that out for the playoffs.

Russell wasn't good and it was noticeable. Coaches noticed too because he played barely 12 mins.

Bright spot. Neal had some jump, got a goal, could have had a couple others. Is he finally back? If they could get him going at all, he could help the bottom 6 in the playoffs as he the type that does well in the playoffs when the game slows down and gets into more of a grinding style.

Another bright was McLeod looked decent. His speed is noticeable. I think his teammates need to tap him on the shoulder and tell "It's OK kid. We accept you on the team now, you don't have to defer all the time, you are allowed to shoot." He passed up a few good shooting chances where if he gets a shot on goal, worse case you produce a rebound with forwards driving the net. Worst was in the first where he was flying down the wing, took the puck to the dot in a prime spot, then flings a pass across the ice backwards to Arch who wasn't really expecting it, puts him in a worse scoring position and I don't think they even got a shot on goal.

Smith was good but I wasn't a fan of the 3rd goal. Squeaked through him so Dube could tap it in.

Another bright spot. Flames were rested, Oilers were not. Flames badly needed that game and every other game going forward, Oilers don't necessarily need that one that bad. Still took Markstrom absolutely standing on his head, a bad goal let in by Smith and a goal off a shin pad and in to to beat the Oilers.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783894 is a reply to message #783867 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
Dave Tippett on @OilersNow: Kris Russell is day to day with an LBI.
Hurt on a clean check by Matt Tkachuk.

12:16 - CGY - Matthew Tkachuk Boarding against Kris Russell

I assume Spector is just trolling Oilers fans by adding in the "clean check" remark.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783895 is a reply to message #783894 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

There I guess I jinxed it when I said 'no injuries'

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783896 is a reply to message #783894 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 13:23

I assume Spector is just trolling Oilers fans by adding in the "clean check" remark.

He’s brutal that Spector, well, Tkachuk too. The hit wasn’t clean, and if it was anyone other than Tkachuk I would still think at least a fine should occur. I hate saying this, because I don’t enjoy seeing anyone hurt, but I’m going to say it anyway. I do hope old lady karma cashes in when it comes to that twerp.

Side note: since Jones isn’t a vet and Bouchard has retired, if Kowboy is out any significant amount of time we’ll probably see Koekkoek in a couple games prior to playoffs to get back up to speed.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783897 is a reply to message #783896 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd have to see a replay again but when I was watching the game, when the hit happen it didn't make me jump out of my seat in anger thinking it was super dirty. Maybe it was? confused2

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783899 is a reply to message #783896 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 13:40

He’s brutal that Spector, well, Tkachuk too. The hit wasn’t clean, and if it was anyone other than Tkachuk I would still think at least a fine should occur. I hate saying this, because I don’t enjoy seeing anyone hurt, but I’m going to say it anyway. I do hope old lady karma cashes in when it comes to that twerp.

Side note: since Jones isn’t a vet and Bouchard has retired, if Kowboy is out any significant amount of time we’ll probably see Koekkoek in a couple games prior to playoffs to get back up to speed.

Shoulder in to the back of the shoulders/neck area to drive his head in to the boards...pretty clearly dirty, or alternatively good old time hockey...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783900 is a reply to message #783899 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 15:03

Shoulder in to the back of the shoulders/neck area to drive his head in to the boards...pretty clearly dirty, or alternatively good old time hockey...

I’d chalk it up to #SutterEffect but Tkachuk’s been a clown for years already. Elbows high or jumping to get his turtle shell to do the damage. Talented player? Sure, he can be, but undoubtably an absolute clown.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783901 is a reply to message #783900 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 15:29

I’d chalk it up to #SutterEffect but Tkachuk’s been a clown for years already. Elbows high or jumping to get his turtle shell to do the damage. Talented player? Sure, he can be, but undoubtably an absolute clown.

don't forget "accidentally" slicing up Mark Scheifele last season.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783903 is a reply to message #783901 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 15:36

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 15:29

don't forget "accidentally" slicing up Mark Scheifele last season.

“Schiefele shoulda stayed off the tracks.” - Tkachuk, probably.

That comment after his Kass hits last year was absolutely clown material as well.

I, for one, am ecstatic the fLames are outside the playoff picture.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783906 is a reply to message #783903 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sutter really is the perfect coach for the Flames and the GM has positioned them with getting Markstrom to continue to be mediocre for years to come. Markstrom has a high enough game, like he showed last night, to win games on his own. Sutter will get more of his type of players in there which will be good enough to grind out the odd game and keep them firmly in the dreaded mediocre no mans land.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783919 is a reply to message #783894 ]
Fri, 30 April 2021 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 30 April 2021 12:23

Turtle needs a "clean check" to finish his season early.
Interesting that Toronto responds to Edlers hit on Hyman with a fight with Simmonds, and Turtle gets nothing from Oilers, maybe not a fight (kind of ends up pointless anyway), but at least a a solid bone rattling hit like a full speed Kronwall butt-first special. That hit that Kronwall used to use was the perfect weapon, by hitting the guy going backwards you always avoided getting suspended with a high hit, no elbows, shoulder, stick to potentially ride up and hit the head, but the effects were just as devastating as full head on hit (or more so) .
I hated Kronwall (see what he did to Gagner below!), but I have to say his signature hits were an artform. The one on Kessler on the bottom was a total beaut!
If I were Playfair or Manson, I'd have a "greatest hits" with Kronwall on a loop showing my d-men how to apply retribution without having to stage a fight, with more effect.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ValuableAnxiousCarp.webp
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImperfectEnlightenedGoshawk.webp
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LiquidHilariousGelding.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/OrderlyEsteemedHydatidtapeworm.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/DesertedBarrenBunting.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/HighlevelEllipticalIrishsetter.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/InformalRequiredAfricanporcupine.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpeccableUnfoldedDodobird.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/RawCoordinatedAmericancrayfish.webphttps://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllinformedSnoopyBlesbok.webp

[Updated on: Fri, 30 April 2021 20:14]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783923 is a reply to message #783919 ]
Sat, 01 May 2021 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Unfortunately, if an Oiler did it, he would almost certainly be suspended. NHL treats the Oilers like 💩

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52) [message #783927 is a reply to message #783923 ]
Sat, 01 May 2021 10:59 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Sat, 01 May 2021 08:47

Unfortunately, if an Oiler did it, he would almost certainly be suspended. NHL treats the Oilers like 💩

Too true, but at least it won't be a head shot that sends Turtle off on a stretcher, NHL Inc. will need to be more embarrassingly creative in coming up with a suspension ruling.. at least they'll have to work for it :)

I'd love to see Turtle Kronwalled, though .. doesn't even have to be by an Oiler.. anybody

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #51)
Next Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #52)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca