This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783569]
Mon, 26 April 2021 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Winnipeg to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2020-21 Regular Season
Sunday, January 24, 2021Edmonton 4 @ Winnipeg 3Win
Tuesday, January 26, 2021Edmonton 4 @ Winnipeg 6Loss
Monday, February 15, 2021Winnipeg 6 @ Edmonton 5Loss
Wednesday, February 17, 2021Winnipeg 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Thursday, March 18, 2021Winnipeg 1 @ Edmonton 2Win
Saturday, March 20, 2021Winnipeg 2 @ Edmonton 4Win
Saturday, April 17, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Winnipeg 0Win
Monday, April 26, 2021Edmonton 6 @ Winnipeg 1Win
Wednesday, April 28, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Winnipeg 1Win
Home Record: 3-1-0       Road Record: 4-1-0       Overall Record: 7-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 14/20 Total: 34
Home / Road Goals Against: 11/11 Total: 22

2019-20 Regular Season
Sunday, October 20, 2019Edmonton 0 @ Winnipeg 1 (OT) (SO)Loss
Saturday, February 29, 2020Winnipeg 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Wednesday, March 11, 2020Winnipeg 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 0-0-1       Overall Record: 1-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 5/0 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/1 Total: 7

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783572 is a reply to message #783569 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

J(M)ust win.

If you want a shot at home ice you need this set.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783576 is a reply to message #783569 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I was saying the other day - we could really use the depth to show up. Saw this this morning:

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

Unreal Connor McDavid stat:

At 5-on-5, Oilers are plus-88 in scoring chances with him on the ice. Without him, they're minus-183

Yeesh. McDavid's amazing. The depth is terrible.

For the record, that IS Holland's fault. Everyone in the bottom six has been either signed by him, traded for by him or re-signed by him...We basically just have two fourth lines most nights.

All the same, it would be nice if they were more than just passengers for a change.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783588 is a reply to message #783576 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 10:14

I was saying the other day - we could really use the depth to show up. Saw this this morning:

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

At 5-on-5, Oilers are plus-88 in scoring chances with him on the ice. Without him, they're minus-183

For the record, that IS Holland's fault. Everyone in the bottom six has been either signed by him, traded for by him or re-signed by him...We basically just have two fourth lines most nights.

All the same, it would be nice if they were more than just passengers for a change.

Yeah I think we'll see even "gutsier" wholesale changes from both Holland and schematically for Dave Tippett this upcoming offseason where we'll have a full training camp & 82 game season with a wider range of opponents. I can understand how both guys wanted to "play it safe" in a shortened season facing the same 6 teams over...and over...and over again.

Scheifele will be pissed off coming back tonight after a healthy scratch while Ehlers has been deemed "out for the season."

Kulikov and McLeod in for the Oilers.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783590 is a reply to message #783588 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I wonder if the Oilers start Koskinen tonight? Smith left practice on the weekend but is supposedly fine. I'd be tempted to give him the night off just to make sure.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783591 is a reply to message #783588 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ravb1981  is currently offline ravb1981

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 11:51

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

Yeah I think we'll see even "gutsier" wholesale changes from both Holland and schematically for Dave Tippett this upcoming offseason where we'll have a full training camp & 82 game season with a wider range of opponents. I can understand how both guys wanted to "play it safe" in a shortened season facing the same 6 teams over...and over...and over again.

Scheifele will be pissed off coming back tonight after a healthy scratch while Ehlers has been deemed "out for the season."

When was Scheifele a healhty scratch??

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783592 is a reply to message #783591 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

ravb1981 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:09

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

My bad...he was just benched in the last 17 minutes of the recent Leafs/Jets game

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783593 is a reply to message #783592 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 12:12

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

My bad...he was just benched in the last 17 minutes of the recent Leafs/Jets game

I wonder if Maurice isn't one of those coaches who just needs to have a whipping boy, preferably a star, to crap all over. Maybe it was too soon to go direct to Dubois so Scheifele is the new Laine?

His game plan of Lowry vs. McDavid won't happen tonight (unfortunately) given Lowry is out injured. I did enjoy seeing him hold his best players off the ice for an extra 4-5 minutes so he could play a third liner and just hold on for dear life against McDavid last time out. Maybe he'll still think that's a viable playoff strategy this way though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783595 is a reply to message #783593 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:45

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 12:12

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

I wonder if Maurice isn't one of those coaches who just needs to have a whipping boy, preferably a star, to crap all over. Maybe it was too soon to go direct to Dubois so Scheifele is the new Laine?

If Maurice is unhappy with Scheifele, I am sure Uncle Kenny will be more than willing to trade the Jets Nuge's rights this off season for him. Then you can go ahead and sign Nuge for slightly less than Scheifele. Nuge is a great 2 way center apparently. It will be tough but we Oilers fans will have to suffer through Scheifle but I bet we can manage.
icon_biggrin

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783623 is a reply to message #783588 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

Visually they appear to be much more solid, but I’m likely just choosing to remember 14/15/16 when they’re put together.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783589 is a reply to message #783576 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 09:14

Quote:

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin

That's not bad, but let's look at the true Hart contender Patty Kane:

-103 Scoring chances while on
-52 scoring chances when he's off

hmmm, nevermind.

Matthews/Marner are ~+150 on and ~+40 off just to give an idea of good players on a team with some depth.

Drai is -29 on, -66 off. McDavid overall has had 10% easier zone starts than Drai, and better wingers a lot of the year to be fair.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2021 12:12]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783594 is a reply to message #783569 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/gretzky-reflects-mcdavi ds-quest-defy-odds-100-point-season/

Mark Spector article, for anyone who doesn't want to give him the clicks.

Basically, he's saying McDavid's doing Gretzky-like things if he hits 100 in 56 games. Points out that the most points in a 56-game stretch is of course Gretzky - with 153 in both 1983-84 and 84-85. But Gretz brings it back home, pointing out that it's a lot harder to get points these days...

Which brings me back to those games where McDavid basically got benched because he was dummying Ottawa and Calgary earlier in the year. If he finishes with, say, 98 points then it's too bad he got sat in those games.

He'll of course say the right thing - that it's the playoffs that he's concerned about and that it's not that big a deal, because they're moving on to the post-season, but it would be a little too bad if the tendency to call off the dogs costs him that recognition.

Well, that and a total inability for him and Draisaitl to figure out how to put pucks in empty nets...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783596 is a reply to message #783594 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Projected lines:
Kahun -McD - JP
Nuge - Leon - Yam
Shore - McLeod - Arch
Neal - Haas - Chia

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

Smith
Koskinen

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783600 is a reply to message #783596 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:01

Projected lines:
Kahun -McD - JP
Nuge - Leon - Yam
Shore - McLeod - Arch
Neal - Haas - Chia

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

Smith
Koskinen

IMO Kahun up with ET will be short lived, he's just a dollar short and a day late to be on that line..
Really looking forward to seeing McLeod's speed, and Kulikov's shutdown efforts, he and Larsson will be a nasty pairing..
Weak point will be Bear and Jones.. principally Jones, he gets eaten up on heavy forcheck and cycle, c/w the occasional Dominos pizza delivery.
Hoping Neal Haaaaaas Chaisson get 5 minutes tops..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783597 is a reply to message #783594 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:56

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/gretzky-reflects-mcdavi ds-quest-defy-odds-100-point-season/

Basically, he's saying McDavid's doing Gretzky-like things if he hits 100 in 56 games. Points out that the most points in a 56-game stretch is of course Gretzky - with 153 in both 1983-84 and 84-85. But Gretz brings it back home, pointing out that it's a lot harder to get points these days...

Which brings me back to those games where McDavid basically got benched because he was dummying Ottawa and Calgary earlier in the year. If he finishes with, say, 98 points then it's too bad he got sat in those games.

He'll of course say the right thing - that it's the playoffs that he's concerned about and that it's not that big a deal, because they're moving on to the post-season, but it would be a little too bad if the tendency to call off the dogs costs him that recognition.

Well, that and a total inability for him and Draisaitl to figure out how to put pucks in empty nets...

I just think that those things aren't that big to McDavid. Would look spectacularly stupid had Connor been trotted out and injured by a pus-bag from Calgary in his pursuit of an 11 point night. We all know he's the best player of this generation, and when his career is done, he will be in the top 5/10 all time. This provided some tool doesn't turn his knee into a u-joint or leave him brain injured in a mindless pursuit of a few extra points in a blowout, in a league where the on ice officials, Player Safety don't protect average players let alone the elite of the elite, and doesn't allow fellow players to do it either.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783601 is a reply to message #783597 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:10

I just think that those things aren't that big to McDavid. Would look spectacularly stupid had Connor been trotted out and injured by a pus-bag from Calgary in his pursuit of an 11 point night. We all know he's the best player of this generation, and when his career is done, he will be in the top 5/10 all time. This provided some tool doesn't turn his knee into a u-joint or leave him brain injured in a mindless pursuit of a few extra points in a blowout, in a league where the on ice officials, Player Safety don't protect average players let alone the elite of the elite, and doesn't allow fellow players to do it either.

When was the last time you saw anyone gooned late in a blowout game? When was the last time you saw a brawl including top players? This isn't the 1970s or 1980s, and that sort of thing just doesn't happen now.

The bigger issue is coaches having grown up on Coach's Corner with Don Cherry telling people that you should never embarrass your opponent. It leads to people scorning empty netters as if they don't count the same and bad coaching decisions where teams let up.

And then every so often, someone gets torched because a team rallies and the stars are now cold after sitting for half a period, and the wheels fall off.

It's pro sports. Don't like getting blown out? Don't suck.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783602 is a reply to message #783601 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:33

When was the last time you saw anyone gooned late in a blowout game? When was the last time you saw a brawl including top players? This isn't the 1970s or 1980s, and that sort of thing just doesn't happen now.

The bigger issue is coaches having grown up on Coach's Corner with Don Cherry telling people that you should never embarrass your opponent. It leads to people scorning empty netters as if they don't count the same and bad coaching decisions where teams let up.

And then every so often, someone gets torched because a team rallies and the stars are now cold after sitting for half a period, and the wheels fall off.

McDavid in a meaningless game to end the season was chopped down by Gio as he was driving the net, rammed into the goal and blew out 2 ligaments in his knee.

I don't think anyone was expecting someone from the Sens to grab McD and beat the hell out of him when the game was out of hand but I just illustrated a play that could easily happen and DOES happen frequently. McD gets chopped down multiple times a game as he tries to blow by guys. While you can't stop them all, it makes zero sense when the game is totally out of hand to throw him out there just so he can stack the stats even more.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783611 is a reply to message #783602 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:39

McDavid in a meaningless game to end the season was chopped down by Gio as he was driving the net, rammed into the goal and blew out 2 ligaments in his knee.

I don't think anyone was expecting someone from the Sens to grab McD and beat the hell out of him when the game was out of hand but I just illustrated a play that could easily happen and DOES happen frequently. McD gets chopped down multiple times a game as he tries to blow by guys. While you can't stop them all, it makes zero sense when the game is totally out of hand to throw him out there just so he can stack the stats even more.

Then why play him at all? it wasn't like he was getting no shifts, just one shift every 8 minutes or so. If you think he needs to be bubble-wrapped then you're probably putting him in more danger sending him out for rare shifts and letting his muscles get cold.

The Giordano play wasn't a blow-out. That was still a close game at that point.

As for the previous question - do I think breaking records matters to McDavid? Yes I do. When you're driven to be the best, you want to leave your mark on the game. Gretzky wanted to set records - he basically memorized the record book and took aim on any he could. The Coffey 8-point game is a great story on that - Gretz knew the record for d-man points in a game and when Coffey had 4 or 5 points in the first period, he set the goal for the team in the first intermission to get Coffey the record.

Lemieux wanted to set records. He sat out the World Juniors to have a shot to beat Guy Lafleur's QMJHL record for goals (he did it too).

The best players want to demonstrate they're the best, so if you have 6 points 32 minutes in to a game and you get four more shifts the rest of the way, it has to be disappointing.

And if it's really injury you're worried about - why is he playing at all? He can get clipped just as easy in those 4 shifts as in any others.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783624 is a reply to message #783611 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 18:48 Go to previous message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 15:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:39

Then why play him at all? it wasn't like he was getting no shifts, just one shift every 8 minutes or so. If you think he needs to be bubble-wrapped then you're probably putting him in more danger sending him out for rare shifts and letting his muscles get cold.

The Giordano play wasn't a blow-out. That was still a close game at that point.

As for the previous question - do I think breaking records matters to McDavid? Yes I do. When you're driven to be the best, you want to leave your mark on the game. Gretzky wanted to set records - he basically memorized the record book and took aim on any he could. The Coffey 8-point game is a great story on that - Gretz knew the record for d-man points in a game and when Coffey had 4 or 5 points in the first period, he set the goal for the team in the first intermission to get Coffey the record.

Lemieux wanted to set records. He sat out the World Juniors to have a shot to beat Guy Lafleur's QMJHL record for goals (he did it too).

The best players want to demonstrate they're the best, so if you have 6 points 32 minutes in to a game and you get four more shifts the rest of the way, it has to be disappointing.

And if it's really injury you're worried about - why is he playing at all? He can get clipped just as easy in those 4 shifts as in any others.

I’m also okay sitting McDavid. The kid plays 25 minutes a night at full tilt every game. When you can rest him, then rest him. Tippett’s job is to win games, make the playoffs and then start winning games again.

Hockey, basketball and baseball all use load management now. I don’t think they’re honouring Don Cherry. They’re protecting their investments.

Just my .02. It’s in CDN currency so it doesn’t mean as much as it should.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783599 is a reply to message #783569 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Daniel Nugent-Bowman @DNBsports
"If you're a young guy, you want to get thrown into the fire, so you might as well embrace it." -- Dave Tippett on Ryan McLeod getting into games during a playoff race.

Bouchard:

https://i.imgur.com/Ap092J4.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783603 is a reply to message #783599 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:30

"If you're a young guy, you want to get thrown into the fire, so you might as well embrace it." -- Dave Tippett on Ryan McLeod getting into games during a playoff race.

Bouchard:

I keep asking the question every single time Bouchard is brought up. Who are you sitting?

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

They just got rid of Russell so there isn't that choice anymore. So who?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783604 is a reply to message #783603 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:42

Bouchard:

I keep asking the question every single time Bouchard is brought up. Who are you sitting?

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

There were many periods with Jones/Bear struggling badly where he could have got games. We've also had periods where we barely played our depth lines and could have iced 7 D like many teams have done this season.

Tippett has done some ridiculous lineup decisions in the name of making sure players don't sit too long, yet that doesn't apply at all for Bouchard. The takeaway for me is simply that Tippett doesn't trust Bouchard as a player yet or he would have made an effort to get some play time in for him. So, he really shouldn't be up here.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783605 is a reply to message #783604 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Jones. You sit Jones.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783606 is a reply to message #783605 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:52

Jones. You sit Jones.

Definitely some times that should have been considered, even if Bouch is RHD.

Many opportunities over 2 months. Now that we add another LHD that should hold a spot, it does strengthen the argument "who do you take out?? huh??", but that doesn't really excuse the last 2 months of Bouch sitting.

It just doesn't add up to me. We've seen Tippett toss in bad players in the lineup in the name of not letting them sit too long. Bouch is kinda set up for failure now if the only play he plays is if Tippett has no choice with an injury. Has to go in ice cold not playing a real game for 2+ months. Guess there will be some games to come with a playoff spot clinched. Still don't think he has Tippett's trust though.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2021 15:01]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783612 is a reply to message #783606 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:55

Jones. You sit Jones.

Definitely some times that should have been considered, even if Bouch is RHD.

Many opportunities over 2 months. Now that we add another LHD that should hold a spot, it does strengthen the argument "who do you take out?? huh??", but that doesn't really excuse the last 2 months of Bouch sitting.

It just doesn't add up to me. We've seen Tippett toss in bad players in the lineup in the name of not letting them sit too long. Bouch is kinda set up for failure now if the only play he plays is if Tippett has no choice with an injury. Has to go in ice cold not playing a real game for 2+ months. Guess there will be some games to come with a playoff spot clinched. Still don't think he has Tippett's trust though.

Some speculation both Barrie and Larsson are banged up the last month too. Is it really a massive problem to sit one of them for a game or two and let them heal up?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783607 is a reply to message #783605 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:52

Jones. You sit Jones.

All day. Bouchard can play D on his off-hand better than Jones on his proper side.. puzzling he hasn't played.. maybe Holland wants to ensure the Oilers give Jones a full/fair evaluation before he has to make off-season decisions deciding his future.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783616 is a reply to message #783607 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 15:01

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:52

Jones. You sit Jones.

All day. Bouchard can play D on his off-hand better than Jones on his proper side.. puzzling he hasn't played.. maybe Holland wants to ensure the Oilers give Jones a full/fair evaluation before he has to make off-season decisions deciding his future.

Playing a dman on his offside is never a good idea. Playing a dman with little to no NHL experience on his offside would be foolish in my opinion. It's hard enough for young dmen to learn NHL defense to begin with, the last thing you want to do is make it even harder on the guy by playing him out of position just to please some impatient fans.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783621 is a reply to message #783616 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:25

Playing a dman on his offside is never a good idea. Playing a dman with little to no NHL experience on his offside would be foolish in my opinion. It's hard enough for young dmen to learn NHL defense to begin with, the last thing you want to do is make it even harder on the guy by playing him out of position just to please some impatient fans.

You know what else makes it harder to learn how to play NHL defense? Never actually playing NHL defense.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but it seems that most people here are worried about how not playing will impact his development, not just that they're impatient. I think it's legitimate concern. I agree that Tippet's job is to win games today, but I think that the divisional positioning is pretty much set. The Oilers are 9 points back of the Leafs, they're not catching them. They might flip-flop with Winnipeg but that's about it. This should absolutely be the time that they're tweaking the line-up to see what they have, or give guys that are bit banged up a break here and there.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783619 is a reply to message #783605 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Jones. You sit Jones.

Yeah, I think I've probably said Jones every time I've read RD saying who do you sit. Jones isn't playing the big role that he's indespensible, and if you care an iota about the development of Bouchard and you want him to have a recent memory of experience when you inevitably have an injury coming or the playoffs, you give Bouchard 3 or 4 games of the last few.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783608 is a reply to message #783604 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 14:46

Bouchard:

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

There were many periods with Jones/Bear struggling badly where he could have got games. We've also had periods where we barely played our depth lines and could have iced 7 D like many teams have done this season.

Tippett has done some ridiculous lineup decisions in the name of making sure players don't sit too long, yet that doesn't apply at all for Bouchard. The takeaway for me is simply that Tippett doesn't trust Bouchard as a player yet or he would have made an effort to get some play time in for him. So, he really shouldn't be up here.

You are right, Tippett doesn't appear to trust Bouchard at the moment. His focus as it should be is to win games, push for a division title, push for the playoffs and try to go far in the playoffs. Not to please fans who want to see a rookie fumble and stumble his way in the NHL like rookie dmen do. Now take it for what it's worth, according to Stauffer and Gregor which I heard on their shows, the Oilers did approach Bouchard and his agent, ask if he wanted to go down to play and he said his preference is to practice and be with the team because he thinks he gets more out of it. Maybe Stauffer lies for the team but I don't think Gregor does so I assume his information is legit.

Now the organization has every right to say "screw what you want Evan, we are shipping you down" but it looks as though it's a coin flip as to what's best for him in their opinion so they are erroring on the side of keeping the player happy. Personally, and this isn't sticking up for their decisions because I am a big fan of Bouchard but I want them to win games and win as many games as they can. I want them to finish as high in the standings as possible. I want them to set themselves and their defense pairings up to give them the best chance to win in the playoffs. So I am not interesting in using playing time to develop Bouchard in the NHL, this isn't a development league. They should be playing to WIN. I look at the team and in the playoffs, I do not see Bouchard playing a minute unless injuries happen. Their best chance on defense in my opinion is to play the 6 I listed. So if Jones and Bear need to bumble along at times to iron out their games to that when playoffs hit, they are ready and going which it appears are pretty close finally, that's what they should do.

If later in the year say that last week with all those make up games, the Oilers position is solidified and they want to thrown in Bouchard for a game or 2 in a meaningless game, then go for it. But now is not the time in my opinion.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783610 is a reply to message #783608 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 15:04

Bouchard:

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

You are right, Tippett doesn't appear to trust Bouchard at the moment. His focus as it should be is to win games, push for a division title, push for the playoffs and try to go far in the playoffs. Not to please fans who want to see a rookie fumble and stumble his way in the NHL like rookie dmen do. Now take it for what it's worth, according to Stauffer and Gregor which I heard on their shows, the Oilers did approach Bouchard and his agent, ask if he wanted to go down to play and he said his preference is to practice and be with the team because he thinks he gets more out of it. Maybe Stauffer lies for the team but I don't think Gregor does so I assume his information is legit.

Now the organization has every right to say "screw what you want Evan, we are shipping you down" but it looks as though it's a coin flip as to what's best for him in their opinion so they are erroring on the side of keeping the player happy. Personally, and this isn't sticking up for their decisions because I am a big fan of Bouchard but I want them to win games and win as many games as they can. I want them to finish as high in the standings as possible. I want them to set themselves and their defense pairings up to give them the best chance to win in the playoffs. So I am not interesting in using playing time to develop Bouchard in the NHL, this isn't a development league. They should be playing to WIN. I look at the team and in the playoffs, I do not see Bouchard playing a minute unless injuries happen. Their best chance on defense in my opinion is to play the 6 I listed. So if Jones and Bear need to bumble along at times to iron out their games to that when playoffs hit, they are ready and going which it appears are pretty close finally, that's what they should do.

If later in the year say that last week with all those make up games, the Oilers position is solidified and they want to thrown in Bouchard for a game or 2 in a meaningless game, then go for it. But now is not the time in my opinion.

Would be interesting if they did ask Bouch if he wanted to go down. Aside from the practice I think the salary is also ~12 times better if he can make it up to the NHL list here and there :)

Guess we agree on why Bouch isn't playing. Just gotta hope his development isn't being hurt by this. And would suck if he has to fill in and play lots of minutes in a panic and he has to go in ice cold.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783613 is a reply to message #783610 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 15:08

Bouchard:

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

Would be interesting if they did ask Bouch if he wanted to go down. Aside from the practice I think the salary is also ~12 times better if he can make it up to the NHL list here and there :)

Guess we agree on why Bouch isn't playing. Just gotta hope his development isn't being hurt by this. And would suck if he has to fill in and play lots of minutes in a panic and he has to go in ice cold.

My biggest issue is that trust should not be an issue based on what Bouchard did when in the lineups. One of the strongest performances on the team for on-ice metrics. Some sheltered icetime for sure, and he wasn't getting much special team work, but it's not like he was bleeding chances. The weird thing for me is that the Oilers game him more of a push when he WAS bleeding chances in his first stint under McLellan...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783618 is a reply to message #783613 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 15:22

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 15:08

Bouchard:

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Jones - Bear

My biggest issue is that trust should not be an issue based on what Bouchard did when in the lineups. One of the strongest performances on the team for on-ice metrics. Some sheltered icetime for sure, and he wasn't getting much special team work, but it's not like he was bleeding chances. The weird thing for me is that the Oilers game him more of a push when he WAS bleeding chances in his first stint under McLellan...

Ended up a small sample size. One that the eye test of the worst events could easily cancel out stats showing a positive impact on the flow of play in our favor. I think some missed assignments in the last game he played has left an unfortunate memory in the coaches mind.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783609 is a reply to message #783569 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Great Tweet by A. Cracknell ..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ez1bb2GVoAA2ALZ?format=jpg&name=360x360

Adam Cracknell @A_Cracknell Replying to @EdmontonOilers and @ryan10mcleod
Teeth get held up at the border?

https://mobile.twitter.com/A_Cracknell/status/13863886822701 50657

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #50) [message #783615 is a reply to message #783569 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Its official.. Kassian now on LTIR, McLeod activated as emergency call up..
Kassian gone 10 games, 24 days retro to injury, earliest available is May 15, playoffs set to start May 16... doubt he's ready for playoffs.. bummer, Oilers need the size and physicality.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /zack-kassian-placed-on-long-term-injured-reserve-for-oilers

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:MacT New old gig.
Next Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca