This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782908 is a reply to message #782904 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I think forfeits are the correct approach. Edmonton has had its schedule changed because of MTL and VAN’s outbreaks. Oilers have a better shot at the postseason than either of those teams and they’ve already had games added to the end of their season because of this. If Vancouver isn’t ready to play, after the schedule was adjusted in consultation with them AND the NHLPA, they should give up the points.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782930 is a reply to message #782901 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Mullet wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 10:35

Partially related question - if the league doesn't complete a balanced schedule and goes with winning percentage, will they prorate goals and assist for other NHL annual awards?

IMHO they should make Vancouver play out their games, extend the season as required, the Canucks may not be game sharp, but it won't be like their fitness fell off a cliff, its only been a couple weeks, not 2 months on their asses beer drinking and BBQs. Some of the guys might have actually had symptoms, but most were likely asymptomatic, they can play their AHL players to fill holes, they are all in Canada, no 7 day quarantine to worry about (Note: forget that, thought Utica was playing in Canada, like the rest, they are still USA). Get the games in, or forfeit. No more "winning percentage" statistical acrobatics, or "play-in" shell games.

Of the course I can understand why some of the Canucks wouldn't want to play, their season was over 2 months ago.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 April 2021 17:52]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782907 is a reply to message #781741 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

The Canucks should have to forfeit this game instead of postponement, and the Oilers should be assigned a positive goal differential equal to the number of players under the minimum the Canucks are.

Does it suck? Yes. Must the season go on? Yes, even moreso.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782915 is a reply to message #782907 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

So the Leafs get the totally unprepared Canucks team Saturday instead?

And we get to be totally rusty against the Jets.

Woo!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782916 is a reply to message #782915 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 13:58

Woo!

I’m sure that game will get postponed too.
However, the Nucks are almost out of runway. Not sure how they going to finish at this point

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782918 is a reply to message #782915 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Woo!

Ya, Oilers are really getting splattered with other teams crap. I hope they swap in Nucks-Oilers for Nucks-Sens next Friday and Saturday so at least if they have to cancel games at the end of the season, it's irrelevant ones.

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782921 is a reply to message #782915 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Woo!

Sounds like Leafs/Canucks is postponed.

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782917 is a reply to message #782907 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 11:21

The Canucks should have to forfeit this game instead of postponement, and the Oilers should be assigned a positive goal differential equal to the number of players under the minimum the Canucks are.

I think the rest of the teams would freak out over that, and there would be concerns over "integrity of the schedule" etc. I think if at the end of the season, they run out of days and absolutely have to finalize the season/standing, maybe they look at it (I still doubt it, unless it favoured the Leafs of course), but it would more likely get pro-rated or use pts. percentage.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782919 is a reply to message #782917 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 14:06

I think the rest of the teams would freak out over that, and there would be concerns over "integrity of the schedule" etc. I think if at the end of the season, they run out of days and absolutely have to finalize the season/standing, maybe they look at it (I still doubt it, unless it favoured the Leafs of course), but it would more likely get pro-rated or use pts. percentage.

Iwanyk made a good point on 1260 - the other lottery teams wouldn't want the Nucks getting free losses, either. One texter suggested that ALL the makeup games be road games for the Canucks. I can get behind that - it seems to be a way to maintain some equity for the teams caught in the blast radius.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782920 is a reply to message #782919 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 15:04

Iwanyk made a good point on 1260 - the other lottery teams wouldn't want the Nucks getting free losses, either. One texter suggested that ALL the makeup games be road games for the Canucks. I can get behind that - it seems to be a way to maintain some equity for the teams caught in the blast radius.

Tough to make up five to eight games all involving one team and the NHL isn't going to want to delay the playoffs by a week or two for one team that's already out anyhow. I could see them trying to squeeze in a couple games here or there, but I won't be surprised if they end up finishing the season with less than 56 games and winning percentage becomes important in both deciding the North, and reseeding after the second round.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782925 is a reply to message #782920 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 14:11

Tough to make up five to eight games all involving one team and the NHL isn't going to want to delay the playoffs by a week or two for one team that's already out anyhow. I could see them trying to squeeze in a couple games here or there, but I won't be surprised if they end up finishing the season with less than 56 games and winning percentage becomes important in both deciding the North, and reseeding after the second round.

Or better yet, the league adds a "play-in round" for the North div, allowing CGY, VAN, EDM, & MTL to fight to the death for the final 2 spots. That would be so NHL. Would anyone be shocked if it happened?

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782927 is a reply to message #782925 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 16:15

Or better yet, the league adds a "play-in round" for the North div, allowing CGY, VAN, EDM, & MTL to fight to the death for the final 2 spots. That would be so NHL. Would anyone be shocked if it happened?

I can't see it unless things tighten up a lot over the next few weeks. If the Oilers are as far ahead as they are, worst I could see the NHL doing is have a 4th/5th play-in. I don't think the league loved having the top seeds in both the play-ins lose out last year.

As for Vancouver - I think they're going to struggle here. Too many guys too sick. Their conditioning is going to be shot and they're going to struggle to get breath. I expect they're going to plummet when they finally return.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782929 is a reply to message #782927 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 16:35

I can't see it unless things tighten up a lot over the next few weeks. If the Oilers are as far ahead as they are, worst I could see the NHL doing is have a 4th/5th play-in. I don't think the league loved having the top seeds in both the play-ins lose out last year.

As for Vancouver - I think they're going to struggle here. Too many guys too sick. Their conditioning is going to be shot and they're going to struggle to get breath. I expect they're going to plummet when they finally return.

If the Oilers have to play in, we riot.

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782932 is a reply to message #782929 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 15:50

.. I can smell it coming.

Quote:

TSN
The NHL has decided today that "based on NHL Corp mathematics", Montreal gets the 3rd spot based on a "complicated winning percentage formula", and then Edmonton, Calgary have a 1 game play-in for 4th..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782933 is a reply to message #782932 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 17:17

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 15:50

.. I can smell it coming.

Quote:

TSN
The NHL has decided today that "based on NHL Corp mathematics", Montreal gets the 3rd spot based on a "complicated winning percentage formula", and then Edmonton, Calgary have a 1 game play-in for 4th..

I’d watch. Think of the ratings!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782931 is a reply to message #782927 ]
Thu, 15 April 2021 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 15:35

jds308 wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 16:15

Have you forgotten how the NHL works whenever the Oiler franchise is concerned? Theft of draft picks for McLennan, Chiarelli, Lucic, length of suspensions, last years bump into the play-in pool.. you can't ever expect the "reasonable thing" from the NHL when it comes to the Oilers.. and when you said the NHL wasn't happy about top seeds losing in teh play-in, I don't think that includes Oilers losing to Chicago, I think it gave them a happy face.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 April 2021 17:21]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782940 is a reply to message #782931 ]
Fri, 16 April 2021 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 17:07

Have you forgotten how the NHL works whenever the Oiler franchise is concerned? Theft of draft picks for McLennan, Chiarelli, Lucic, length of suspensions, last years bump into the play-in pool.. you can't ever expect the "reasonable thing" from the NHL when it comes to the Oilers.. and when you said the NHL wasn't happy about top seeds losing in teh play-in, I don't think that includes Oilers losing to Chicago, I think it gave them a happy face.

You forgot to mention the crap reffing.

In defence of the NHL, the Oilers did get a load of #1 and other high picks by tanking and turned those into a controlling powerhouse team consistently at the top....um, I mean, a decade of darkness. The Oilers also complained intensely to get a new CBA with a salary cap and promptly blew up the terms with the Penner/Vanek affairs. The team is at the cap dollar-in-dollar-out point with a few incredible talents but is still a dysfunctional organization that no one believes is a serious contender.

Why should the NHL treat The Oilers any differently than they have? This team has no cred except for Connor and Leon and I'll bet the League can't wait for them to join the Leafs.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782942 is a reply to message #782940 ]
Fri, 16 April 2021 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Fri, 16 April 2021 10:34

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 15 April 2021 17:07

You forgot to mention the crap reffing.

In defence of the NHL, the Oilers did get a load of #1 and other high picks by tanking and turned those into a controlling powerhouse team consistently at the top....um, I mean, a decade of darkness. The Oilers also complained intensely to get a new CBA with a salary cap and promptly blew up the terms with the Penner/Vanek affairs. The team is at the cap dollar-in-dollar-out point with a few incredible talents but is still a dysfunctional organization that no one believes is a serious contender.

Why should the NHL treat The Oilers any differently than they have? This team has no cred except for Connor and Leon and I'll bet the League can't wait for them to join the Leafs.

To be fair it is a myth that the Oilers were blowing up the CBA with the offer sheets. Theirs were neither the first nor the most numerous of the offer sheets. The Oilers were a victim of RFA signings as much or more than any other team. The idiotic statements Lowe made in his defense and his arrogance are more memorable for me.

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782941 is a reply to message #781741 ]
Fri, 16 April 2021 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just cancelling the games is probably the smart thing for the league. Gives Kane all the chance possible to win the Hart because we obviously will not give any consideration to how McDrai played less games when comparison time comes.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782943 is a reply to message #782941 ]
Fri, 16 April 2021 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 16 April 2021 11:53

Just cancelling the games is probably the smart thing for the league. Gives Kane all the chance possible to win the Hart because we obviously will not give any consideration to how McDrai played less games when comparison time comes.

Sorry who is this Kane guy? NHL all-time great Auston Matthews is third in the scoring race. He gets credited with Marner's point totals whenever they are the higher of the two. Kane is a has been. Truly elite players get their team into first in their division. That's the standard these days.

Straight up Hart trophy lock.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782948 is a reply to message #781741 ]
Fri, 16 April 2021 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Leafs are crying about having to play back to back games now

John Shannon @JShannonhl
Maple Leafs pushing back on playing back to back in Vancouver at the beginning of the week... and back to back in Winnipeg at the end of the week.

What's the worry? They got Big Sieve Dave for this kind of thing.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Another postponement?- Oilers/Canucks Part 2 [message #782951 is a reply to message #781741 ]
Fri, 16 April 2021 16:42 Go to previous message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

So, they rescheduled a ton of games today, but still didn't fix things for the Oilers. They now play 3 games after a week off, have 4 days off again, and then get run ragged for 3 weeks and presumably have to start playoffs immediately after.

Team is going to have a huge piece of April sitting on their ass, then blown out before starting playoffs.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #47)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #56)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca