This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kulikov for a Conditional 4thPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782856 is a reply to message #782848 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 18:45

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:49

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:02

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 16:47

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 19:54

Air Canada can get a bailout every time their bottom line takes a massive hit, but the Oilers can’t go for it 2 years in a row bc next years the year.

This summer will tell the tale, max. cap space, lower salary costs due to flat cap.. maybe buy out Neil, unload Turris.

This will define Holland's GM tenure.

Just hope the pro-scouts who figured Kahun, or Turris were good bets no longer have an authoritative voice in the decision process, any pro scout who actually scouted these two last year would have figured out they didn't have it, too slow, too soft.

We have a lot of excellent D prospects coming, maybe as early as next year.
And D. Holloway, likely make it out of camp, #3C or #1/#2 LW.
All on ELC contracts.

I keep hearing of this cap space the oil will have. While I do see it, I also see them having Nuge, Barrie, Larsson being UFA and Yamo RFA. And the need for a starting goalie. That 24’ish of cap is going to disappear real quick with mainly just the current roster in tact.

I question whether the Oilers should re-sign Barrie at the dollars he's going to command for next year. I do think his play is one of the reasons we should be going for it this year, but if the team has any belief in Bouchard, they need him to make the jump sooner rather than later. If the team does not believe he's able to make that step, and they decide to sign Barrie, they should probably be trading him this summer. If you have Barrie long-term in front of him, he's pretty much permanently blocked and his value will only decline. I'm all for having a player pushed to make the team, but if you sign Barrie and especially if you also sign Larsson, then where's the room for him. Are you really going to trade Bear and then duplicate Barrie's skill set on two of the lines, but without giving him powerplay time? Bouchard's numbers in the AHL, in Europe, even in the NHL in small doses look like a guy who should be ready so either you give him an opening, or you trade him and get something else you need.

Starting goalie is a big issue. I'm still worried they're going to look at Smith's results and sign him...possibly before the summer even.

I still think it's crazy that people are still believing the next teenager is going to be the saviour here. Holloway is a kid. He's never played a minute of pro hockey. He's probably not the best option for NHL top-6 action just yet. Let him develop for 5 minutes first and force his way in.

Holland hasn't done well with cap space historically. Some really bad signings in Detroit over the last decade. Once he blows cap space, he doesn't have any idea how to clear it either. This summer is critically important...so here's hoping he's not as much of a dinosaur as he looks now.

I think Larsson is a guy you resign before Nuge or Barrie. We don’t have ‘another Larsson type’ on the right side in the org. Now, obviously it would be nice to have him come in around 2-3M rather than the little over 4 he’s getting now. But, if I’m Larsson, I’m not sure I take that. Sure, flat cap. But he’s 28, he may be viewing this UFA summer as his last chance at a decent bank account padder for retirement back in Sweden. In a perfect world, he wants to stay and takes a bit less to do so. He’s not flashy, but he’s a breed of dman that we don’t have coming up the pipe.

Barrie as an Oiler has been a hit. Let’s be honest. He is what he is and he’s excelled at that in Edmonton. Not great defensively but is an elite puck mover and has helped lift McDavid up even more. He and Nurse, albeit, again, not great defensively, have for the most part created a real offensive threat of 5 man unit when deployed with McDavid’s line. Barrie now is what we all want and hope Bouchard can be.

Bear’s had a bit of an uphill climb this year. Tough break taking a puck to the side of the head while on the bench which knocked him out for a few weeks. But that coincided with Tipp and Co placing Barrie with Nurse, along with Schmiddy returning, leading to the Oilers turnaround this season. He’s had moments again since returning, but is relatively still green when it comes to being an NHL defenceman. Hopefully he can take that step of consistency as he closes into that 200 game mark.

Can Bouchard be Barrie? Sure. He could. Heck, he could be a more defensively responsible form of Barrie. But with the amount of preaching we’ve been force fed lately about ‘next year is the year’ is it smart to put yourself in that position to (hopefully) contend with 2 RHD who are still figuring out how to be NHL defencemen? Yes, Old Man Bouch has excelled at every level so far, but going into next season with Bouchard, Larsson and Bear as your top 3 organizational RHD doesn’t smell of contention. It smells of hope, which is something we’re used to breathing in as Oiler fans (that and MustTM).

Along with that we have Tipp’s desire to have 4 traditional PKer’s dressed on D each night. You’re not getting Barrie and Bouch in the lineup the same night with Tippett, unless one of them is playing their off side, which occurred in Bouchards last game, I believe, leading to incredible fancy stats for the Bouchard-Bear pair, something like 18 chances for and 2 against or something wild, however the 2 chances they gave up ended up in the back of the net.

I agree, Bouchard needs to play and Barrie is the one blocking him, not Bear, as Bear is a PKer in Tipp’s eyes. But given how the window to contend, according to the org, starts next year (should have been opened the second McDavid became an Oiler but that’s for another day), I 100% believe we see Barrie-Larss-Bear as our 3 RHD again next year and Bouchard either getting angry in the A or playing for Boston(heard it here first).

Injuries happen, and then there's always surprises too. Larsson looked done last year; then he's had a bit of a rebirth this year. Bear looked like a stud last year; at times he's struggled this year.

Especially with Bouchard on the ELC, I don't mind having four "Top-6" defensemen in the organization. There's a big drop off to the next RHD in the organization after those four, so it provides a little cover if there is a season ending injury or regression to Larsson's game.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782844 is a reply to message #782837 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 16:02

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 16:47

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 19:54

Air Canada can get a bailout every time their bottom line takes a massive hit, but the Oilers can’t go for it 2 years in a row bc next years the year.

This summer will tell the tale, max. cap space, lower salary costs due to flat cap.. maybe buy out Neil, unload Turris.

This will define Holland's GM tenure.

Just hope the pro-scouts who figured Kahun, or Turris were good bets no longer have an authoritative voice in the decision process, any pro scout who actually scouted these two last year would have figured out they didn't have it, too slow, too soft.

We have a lot of excellent D prospects coming, maybe as early as next year.
And D. Holloway, likely make it out of camp, #3C or #1/#2 LW.
All on ELC contracts.

I keep hearing of this cap space the oil will have. While I do see it, I also see them having Nuge, Barrie, Larsson being UFA and Yamo RFA. And the need for a starting goalie. That 24’ish of cap is going to disappear real quick with mainly just the current roster in tact.

I think RNH gets less than his agent wants, Yamo isn't lighting it up expect reasonable flat-cap contract, Larsson less than what he's getting now, Barrie might be the one that will get more somewhere else..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782838 is a reply to message #782832 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think McLeod is a lock to be on this team next season. He always seems to have a good camp. He's got size, great speed, he's scoring now in the AHL at 22 pts in 24 games.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782840 is a reply to message #782838 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:02

I think McLeod is a lock to be on this team next season. He always seems to have a good camp. He's got size, great speed, he's scoring now in the AHL at 22 pts in 24 games.

I'm genuinely curious if a fourth line of Benson, McLeod, and Marody would do any worse than whatever mix of Archibald, Kassian, Haas, Khaira, Nygard, Russell, Shore, Chiasson, and Turris they trot out each night.

That trio is torching the AHL, would be curious if they could bring some of that in a depth role to the NHL.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782841 is a reply to message #782840 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:18

I'm genuinely curious if a fourth line of Benson, McLeod, and Marody would do any worse than whatever mix of Archibald, Kassian, Haas, Khaira, Nygard, Russell, Shore, Chiasson, and Turris they trot out each night.

That trio is torching the AHL, would be curious if they could bring some of that in a depth role to the NHL.

Can we consider those guys overripe yet? They are dominating the AHL this year. Not sure how many years you have to do that to achieve overripe status.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782845 is a reply to message #782840 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 16:18

I agree, McLeod based on his speed alone would be an upgrade, plus he's been working on the PK down there which makes him versatile. My only hesitation on Marody, Benson is I don't know what level their speed is relative to the NHL, although relative to Kahun, Chaisson, can't be far off, or maybe even better. For forwards, Kahun has been a big disappointment to me, as well as Turris, thought both would be better.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782865 is a reply to message #782840 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

You typically want your bottom 6 to be most of your PK guys which I think is the way it should be so you can play your top 6 for most of or all of the PP's and lots of 5 on 5 mins. So I don't know if Benson and Marody would do that. I'd be curious to know how Benson's and Marody's skating is because I feel that is what is keeping them back. Unless you are truly elite, if you aren't at least a decent skater, it's hard to do anything in the NHL.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782866 is a reply to message #782865 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 09:15

You typically want your bottom 6 to be most of your PK guys which I think is the way it should be so you can play your top 6 for most of or all of the PP's and lots of 5 on 5 mins. So I don't know if Benson and Marody would do that. I'd be curious to know how Benson's and Marody's skating is because I feel that is what is keeping them back. Unless you are truly elite, if you aren't at least a decent skater, it's hard to do anything in the NHL.

All of those Bakersfield prospects are B level at best. The idea that Holland didn't have any wiggle room is silly when he has a bunch of tweeners on the first line in Bakersfield who will never make a significant NHL impact.

It looks to me like Toronto waltzes to the Conference Finals this year. The good news is they haven't played against the truly good NHL teams and so they're likely to get thumped when they run into a Tampa or Carolina.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782868 is a reply to message #782866 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 09:25

All of those Bakersfield prospects are B level at best. The idea that Holland didn't have any wiggle room is silly when he has a bunch of tweeners on the first line in Bakersfield who will never make a significant NHL impact.

It looks to me like Toronto waltzes to the Conference Finals this year. The good news is they haven't played against the truly good NHL teams and so they're likely to get thumped when they run into a Tampa or Carolina.

Oh ye who hath no faith in the overripening process. For shame!

I don't think you can write off Bensen or McLeod quite yet. Marody, likely doesn't have the wheels for the NHL.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782869 is a reply to message #782868 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 10:20

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 14 April 2021 09:25

Oh ye who hath no faith in the overripening process. For shame!

I don't think you can write off Bensen or McLeod quite yet. Marody, likely doesn't have the wheels for the NHL.

I think McLeod is a player and their 3rd line center. I could see Benson being a guy who if you have him on your 3rd line with a few guys that can skate, he can be a set up guy. Not sure he's got the boots to be a top guy but maybe. I agree with you on Marody. Now maybe he's improved his skating a ton but he looks like a really good, point producing guy in the AHL whos a tweener in the NHL. Hard to say.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782836 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm not certain why the Kulikov trade really had to happen. He's a UFA next year and so what we give up a conditional 4th.

I think Holland served well not doing anything crazy this deadline day, after last year giving 2 seconds for a rental of Anthensiou who certain wasn't worth the Q.O. my guess he was a little gun shy.

Yeah you had McD and Drai doing their best hockey ever and Nurse doing very well and Barrie re-emerging himself as a great D-man who is also a right shot. We'll do okay in the playoffs but as the Leafs have shown, we have a bit of work to do for this team before we go all in.

We have to look to next season and I think a gamble with Nurse having a better year next year and McD and Drai being the same or even better than they are this year. We have to keep Nuge and Barrie is making noise for a spot, let's hope he stays?! In the end there is a lot of decisions to be made, especially with goaltending. Smith is playing well granted but I do not think 16 wins in the post season his body can handle, maybe 8.

In the end next year it's my feeling will be the time to go. Just my 0.02.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782839 is a reply to message #782836 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:01

I'm not certain why the Kulikov trade really had to happen. He's a UFA next year and so what we give up a conditional 4th.

I think Holland served well not doing anything crazy this deadline day, after last year giving 2 seconds for a rental of Anthensiou who certain wasn't worth the Q.O. my guess he was a little gun shy.

Yeah you had McD and Drai doing their best hockey ever and Nurse doing very well and Barrie re-emerging himself as a great D-man who is also a right shot. We'll do okay in the playoffs but as the Leafs have shown, we have a bit of work to do for this team before we go all in.

We have to look to next season and I think a gamble with Nurse having a better year next year and McD and Drai being the same or even better than they are this year. We have to keep Nuge and Barrie is making noise for a spot, let's hope he stays?! In the end there is a lot of decisions to be made, especially with goaltending. Smith is playing well granted but I do not think 16 wins in the post season his body can handle, maybe 8.

In the end next year it's my feeling will be the time to go. Just my 0.02.

Without Kulikov, you have one of Russell, Laggesson with 25 career NHL games, or Jones with 82 over 3 seasons in your top 4. Not to mention you have Bear and his 119 career NHL games in your line up.

I would have liked a winger like everyone one else but I don't see how you can win if your have Russell AND one of very inexperienced and inconsistent Lageeson/Jones in your defense in the playoffs. If Jones game 1 had been rock solid, then maybe my opinion changes a bit but he's been pretty shaky all season. Better the last few games but for the most part, very shaky.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782889 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Wed, 14 April 2021 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Saw a few interviews with Kulikov, great attitude, really good English, said one of his favourite players growing up was Darius Kasperitus.. I like him already!

I don't have a read on his speed yet, but I expect he'll be more mobile than Larsson, and he's a load, great for clearing the net and ending cycles. I'm hoping we'll be spending less time in our own end 5v5 and enable McD to go in the other direction more often than he is now.
He'll be a bonus against bigger teams where Bear, Jones, Barrie, Russell were getting caved. He's a good add. Might even be worth keeping next year if he pans out, he'd be a good mentor for Samarukov.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783341 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Wed, 21 April 2021 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Kulikov on the ice with the main group today.

So begins the age of the Kulikov

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783346 is a reply to message #783341 ]
Wed, 21 April 2021 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 April 2021 16:29

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Kulikov on the ice with the main group today.

So begins the age of the Kulikov

The name fits well with Nielson and Lieutenant Eric’s Tales of the North 😂

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783480 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor

According to @TomGazzola looks like Kulikov will start with Larsson.
Jones-Bear and Nurse-Barrie.
Thoughts?

Also, Khaira on the ice at practice.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783482 is a reply to message #783480 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 11:28

Thoughts?

Probably the six I'd use, but would prefer:

Nurse / Bear
Kulikov / Barrie
Jones / Larsson

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783483 is a reply to message #783482 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 11:34

Thoughts?

Nurse / Bear
Kulikov / Barrie
Jones / Larsson

that's what I wish for too. Good defender and puck mover on each pair.

Kulikov/Larsson may not be that adept at getting the puck moving. Not sure I'm that big of a fan of Nurse/Barrie either.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783497 is a reply to message #783483 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 11:37

Thoughts?

Nurse / Bear
Kulikov / Barrie
Jones / Larsson

that's what I wish for too. Good defender and puck mover on each pair.

Kulikov/Larsson may not be that adept at getting the puck moving. Not sure I'm that big of a fan of Nurse/Barrie either.

Agreed. Not sure why Tippett seems to have such a love for a "shutdown pair". The issue is that they're always defending because they can't advance the puck well. Kulikov is hopefully an upgrade on that front over Russell, but I'd still really prefer a good puck mover on the ice at all times.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783484 is a reply to message #783482 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Thoughts?

Nurse / Bear
Kulikov / Barrie
Jones / Larsson

I would too. Puck mover and defender plus you have a vet with a young guy in Bear and Jones. But glad to see they played Jones over Russell.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783515 is a reply to message #783484 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 12:04

Thoughts?

Nurse / Bear
Kulikov / Barrie
Jones / Larsson

I would too. Puck mover and defender plus you have a vet with a young guy in Bear and Jones. But glad to see they played Jones over Russell.

I think I'd worry who's paired with Jones and to a lesser extent Bear, who are going to leak chances more than I'd worry about loading up a shutdown pair. Yes to combining a mover and a defender, all day. That's what I'd default to, but situationally it's going to change I suppose.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783503 is a reply to message #783480 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 10:28

Thoughts?

Any word on Kassian's injury?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783504 is a reply to message #783503 ]
Fri, 23 April 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 16:12

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 23 April 2021 10:28

Thoughts?

Any word on Kassian's injury?

All I saw was Tippett said he will be out for awhile. Whatever that means.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #783672 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 26 April 2021 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Well he's one game in and it was good o e. He did positive things all night, just as advertised a bonus that he pushed Russell out

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785492 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So it seems Kulikov+Larsson has actually been pretty good:

WheatNOil @WheatNOil

It’s only 132 minutes but without McDavid, Kulikov and Larsson are 55% shot attempts, 62.5% goals, 56% expected goals, 60% scoring chances.

On this team, that’s damn near miraculous.

I'll take it. Hope they keep it up. Solid add in the end if they are able to be good in the playoffs together.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785493 is a reply to message #785492 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't do stats but anytime I watched those 2 on the, other than the odd give away mostly by Kulikov, not a lot happens for the opposition offensively when they are on the ice which is what you want.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785503 is a reply to message #785493 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 19 May 2021 08:21

I don't do stats but anytime I watched those 2 on the, other than the odd give away mostly by Kulikov, not a lot happens for the opposition offensively when they are on the ice which is what you want.

Larsson has turned into a Beast. I don't know what he's done but his skating gained a couple of steps this off season, looks a lot quicker.. plus he's a human eraser along the boards..

He's had major back issues for a few years, maybe he finally got that resolved... 👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785505 is a reply to message #785503 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 May 2021 11:32

Larsson has turned into a Beast. I don't know what he's done but his skating gained a couple of steps this off season, looks a lot quicker.. plus he's a human eraser along the boards..

He's had major back issues for a few years, maybe he finally got that resolved... 👍🏻

He's been excellent this year in my opinion.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785511 is a reply to message #785503 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

I dont know what it is either but can only think Larsson is finally healthy. Like you said, he has been a beast. The start of the season I still saw a lot of worrisome plays by him. Just weird wasted movements and efforts.
The last 40 or so games the guy has been fantastic and true shut down D.

Good enough he covers up the warts on Kulikov. I want to like him but man he disappoints me a lot. Limited sample size, new team, learning to play with a puck playing goalie, etc. I hope he shows a bit more but for now he has a least held it down and is not a consistent liability. This makes him a better option than a few guys so is a net gain.

That pair is one of the underrated keys to the Oilers playoff success.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785515 is a reply to message #785511 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 12:29 Go to previous message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 19 May 2021 11:11

I dont know what it is either but can only think Larsson is finally healthy. Like you said, he has been a beast. The start of the season I still saw a lot of worrisome plays by him. Just weird wasted movements and efforts.
The last 40 or so games the guy has been fantastic and true shut down D.

Good enough he covers up the warts on Kulikov. I want to like him but man he disappoints me a lot. Limited sample size, new team, learning to play with a puck playing goalie, etc. I hope he shows a bit more but for now he has a least held it down and is not a consistent liability. This makes him a better option than a few guys so is a net gain.

That pair is one of the underrated keys to the Oilers playoff success.

Yeah Kulikov does get the yips once in a while, passes to places guys aren't, his main plus is he's a vet and has experienced the crushing forecheck that will come through the playoffs, should weather the periodic storms better than the other LD options.. he can also carry the puck out of trouble on occasion.. combo with Larsson should be solid.. expecting them to get better as communication improves...
Really impressed by Larsson's improvement, went from thinking about freeing up his cap space for next year, to a must sign.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #785506 is a reply to message #785492 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 May 2021 09:16

So it seems Kulikov+Larsson has actually been pretty good:

WheatNOil @WheatNOil

It’s only 132 minutes but without McDavid, Kulikov and Larsson are 55% shot attempts, 62.5% goals, 56% expected goals, 60% scoring chances.

On this team, that’s damn near miraculous.

I'll take it. Hope they keep it up. Solid add in the end if they are able to be good in the playoffs together.

It’s what I think a lot of people hoped for when Holland brought him in. An actual legit shut down pair.. good to see it come to fruition, so far.

If not for the few complete wt deuce moments from Kooly, a lot more people would be on board with him here.

These two will be huge if the mighty Oily boys are going to make any noise in the playoffs

I’m ready to drop a deuce on the playoffs tonight!!!!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca