This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kulikov for a Conditional 4thPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782746 is a reply to message #782745 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:59

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:56

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:51

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:50

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:40

Holland so far:

- not in on Hall
- never looked at getting creative to manage the cap
- never looked at impact forwards
- believed his biggest need was on defence, and addressed it with Kulikov
- says Koekkoek may be back in May (adding an extra LHD)
- wanted someone with size and experience who can add depth
- asked about having multiple holes in his roster, actually says the right thing and points out how well they've played lately.
- complains again about the cap restricting them - although again, he said earlier they didn't look at creativity
- blames trying and failing last year with trades as one of the reasons they couldn't do more this year

More here from him where he's wrecking his earlier answer:

- "you can't go all-in every year"
- Again talks about last year being a problem.
- Says maybe next year they'll be a buyer and try to make "bigger noise"
- Asked by Terry Jones about Klefbom - says the right thing - he doesn't know if he'll be able to play next year. Will talk to Klefbom in July. Says it's "too early to tell"
- Got the players to meet the rules for exposure to Seattle Kraken
- Says they have about $2MM left in cap space. Needed cap space for bringing back Slater Koekkoek when he's healthy. Unbelievable.
- Matheson keeps asking him about holes in his lineup. Holland failing to tell him to stuff it.

I really don't like that talk about not going all-in, and about them hoping next year they can make more noise. To me it sure sounded like he's signaling that they don't think this is the year - which is insanity.

The fact he said he didn't consider doing anything creative with regards to the cap? Just bonkers. Katz should fire this dinosaur and all his dinosaur friends.

hehe, this talk about how important 4K is. Guy was below replacement level before being hurt. Can just bury him. Don't have to be panicking about needing cap room for him.

Or tell him he's not healthy until the playoffs. If Toronto can do that with their starting netminder, and Tampa can do it with their best player, then I think we can wait a couple weeks before activating Slater Koekkoek.

My god. This team sometimes.

Too late. He said that 4K was ahead of schedule. I'm sure they considered holding him out since he's not even that useful, but since someone in management just blurted out how he's on the cusp of ready, no can do.

What WOULD you do without having your 9D on the roster anyhow?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782748 is a reply to message #782746 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 14:03

Holland so far:

- not in on Hall
- asked about having multiple holes in his roster, actually says the right thing and points out how well they've played lately.
- complains again about the cap restricting them - although again, he said earlier they didn't look at creativity
- blames trying and failing last year with trades as one of the reasons they couldn't do more this year

- Asked by Terry Jones about Klefbom - says the right thing - he doesn't know if he'll be able to play next year. Will talk to Klefbom in July. Says it's "too early to tell"
- Says they have about $2MM left in cap space. Needed cap space for bringing back Slater Koekkoek when he's healthy. Unbelievable.
- Matheson keeps asking him about holes in his lineup. Holland failing to tell him to stuff it.

I really don't like that talk about not going all-in, and about them hoping next year they can make more noise. To me it sure sounded like he's signaling that they don't think this is the year - which is insanity.

The fact he said he didn't consider doing anything creative with regards to the cap? Just bonkers. Katz should fire this dinosaur and all his dinosaur friends.

hehe, this talk about how important 4K is. Guy was below replacement level before being hurt. Can just bury him. Don't have to be panicking about needing cap room for him.

Or tell him he's not healthy until the playoffs. If Toronto can do that with their starting netminder, and Tampa can do it with their best player, then I think we can wait a couple weeks before activating Slater Koekkoek.

Too late. He said that 4K was ahead of schedule. I'm sure they considered holding him out since he's not even that useful, but since someone in management just blurted out how he's on the cusp of ready, no can do.

You certainly would have less opportunities to say Koekkoek. I think Holland was able to say it a good 10 times in a couple minute span there. Probably felt good.

Gotta be something there for Gene too if we do have Kulikov and Koekkoek in at the same time. We're Koekkoek for Kulikov?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2021 14:07]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782752 is a reply to message #782748 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 14:05

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 14:03

Holland so far:

- not in on Hall

You certainly would have less opportunities to say Koekkoek. I think Holland was able to say it a good 10 times in a couple minute span there. Probably felt good.

Gotta be something there for Gene too if we do have Kulikov and Koekkoek in at the same time. We're Koekkoek for Kulikov?

I noticed that he pronounces the last K too...usually on the broadcast that's treated as a silent letter, but Holland gets every K in there.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782750 is a reply to message #782742 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also:

Quote:

Part of the evaluation process is that I have to watch games. Obviously, you're going to feel one way if you lose in the first round, and another way if they win the Cup.

What does he even mean there!? I swear, he looked like he was disgusted at even the question about being creative with the cap. Just the very short "no" in response to the query.

How can you look at a roster that's been caved in when ever McDavid and Draisaitl are off the ice, and where they have been jamming Kahun and Ennis in to the top six and hoping one of them is finally going to break out - and not see something that needs to be addressed. To say that he didn't really seriously look at adding any impact forwards speaks volumes.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782753 is a reply to message #782750 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:20

Also:

Quote:

Part of the evaluation process is that I have to watch games. Obviously, you're going to feel one way if you lose in the first round, and another way if they win the Cup.

What does he even mean there!? I swear, he looked like he was disgusted at even the question about being creative with the cap. Just the very short "no" in response to the query.

How can you look at a roster that's been caved in when ever McDavid and Draisaitl are off the ice, and where they have been jamming Kahun and Ennis in to the top six and hoping one of them is finally going to break out - and not see something that needs to be addressed. To say that he didn't really seriously look at adding any impact forwards speaks volumes.

Ex-Oilers blogger, Michael Parkatti, posted this on twitter the other day, and it really clarified things for me:

Quote:

I've said this before. The McDavid Oilers in Gretzky-years are in spring 1985. We're behind schedule. And the ultra-prime years will be gone sooner than most expect. We should be all-in from here on out.

Gretzky's best season statistically was 85/86. There's a pretty decent chance that McDavid will hit peak production in the next couple of years, if he's not already there. Star's decline tends to be slower than average plugger's but it's going to start getting harder to win a Cup, not easier, very soon.

https://twitter.com/mparkatti/status/1381364214351032320?s=2 0

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782759 is a reply to message #782753 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 14:49

Also:

Quote:

Ex-Oilers blogger, Michael Parkatti, posted this on twitter the other day, and it really clarified things for me:

Quote:

I've said this before. The McDavid Oilers in Gretzky-years are in spring 1985. We're behind schedule. And the ultra-prime years will be gone sooner than most expect. We should be all-in from here on out.

Gretzky's best season statistically was 85/86. There's a pretty decent chance that McDavid will hit peak production in the next couple of years, if he's not already there. Star's decline tends to be slower than average plugger's but it's going to start getting harder to win a Cup, not easier, very soon.

I've been making the point here about the management lack of urgency for ages, since before we had McDavid...they're always satisfied with talking about next year and believing that there's going to be this nice bell curve up where you make the playoffs, then the next year you win a round, then two, and so on and so forth. That's not really how this works, especially when you have the best player in the world. You should be good almost immediately. They are content to make big mistakes again and again in the management of the team, and to blame bad luck, or players just not turning out, or the last guy they fired.

Generational players should jump you to contention right away. If you have someone who's destroying the opposition when they're on the ice, it makes a big difference anyhow, but it's also exciting and players want to come play with them. We heard this in McDavid's first couple years from players as free agents...the Oilers just signed the wrong ones. McDavid's done everything he can. He's awesome, and intense and wants to win. And he gave the team a break on his contract when he had the opportunity. The team responded by over-paying several other players that year including Russell and Gryba. It has to be disheartening when you leave money on the table and it gets spent frivolously by management.

When you blow the doors off the league year in and year out and the management can't seem to even get their act together enough to make a real bet on you at the deadline? It's got to be crushing. I'm curious what percentage of goals in the last month McDavid and Draisaitl weren't on the ice for. I'm going to guess it's a really low number. That should indicate they need some help. Apparently Holland still needs to "watch the games".

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782760 is a reply to message #782759 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 15:19

Also:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been making the point here about the management lack of urgency for ages, since before we had McDavid...they're always satisfied with talking about next year and believing that there's going to be this nice bell curve up where you make the playoffs, then the next year you win a round, then two, and so on and so forth. That's not really how this works, especially when you have the best player in the world. You should be good almost immediately. They are content to make big mistakes again and again in the management of the team, and to blame bad luck, or players just not turning out, or the last guy they fired.

Generational players should jump you to contention right away. If you have someone who's destroying the opposition when they're on the ice, it makes a big difference anyhow, but it's also exciting and players want to come play with them. We heard this in McDavid's first couple years from players as free agents...the Oilers just signed the wrong ones. McDavid's done everything he can. He's awesome, and intense and wants to win. And he gave the team a break on his contract when he had the opportunity. The team responded by over-paying several other players that year including Russell and Gryba. It has to be disheartening when you leave money on the table and it gets spent frivolously by management.

When you blow the doors off the league year in and year out and the management can't seem to even get their act together enough to make a real bet on you at the deadline? It's got to be crushing. I'm curious what percentage of goals in the last month McDavid and Draisaitl weren't on the ice for. I'm going to guess it's a really low number. That should indicate they need some help. Apparently Holland still needs to "watch the games".

Holland made a number of references to last deadline. He got completely owned. I think part of this year has him carrying the fear of being embarrassed again. Maybe that saved us from giving up next years 2nd round pick for Glendening, yay.

This org has already been paralyzed by their failures and how everyone knows guys like Lowe and Bobby Burgers are inept. They're probably scared of mistakes and looking bad too.

I guess we're stuck having to get over 2 barriers before we actually make an effort to contend fully. Need to be having an absolutely outstanding regular season. And we also need the fear level of management to be low enough that they aren't too scared to stick their necks out again. Even then though, not sure I actually have that much faith in Holland to make good trades. His deal is drafting and developing. He's the guy we needed in 2015, and then later you hire a guy with some creativity to tweak the lineup. Oh well!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782762 is a reply to message #782760 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 15:27

Also:

Quote:

Quote:

Holland made a number of references to last deadline. He got completely owned. I think part of this year has him carrying the fear of being embarrassed again. Maybe that saved us from giving up next years 2nd round pick for Glendening, yay.

This org has already been paralyzed by their failures and how everyone knows guys like Lowe and Bobby Burgers are inept. They're probably scared of mistakes and looking bad too.

I guess we're stuck having to get over 2 barriers before we actually make an effort to contend fully. Need to be having an absolutely outstanding regular season. And we also need the fear level of management to be low enough that they aren't too scared to stick their necks out again. Even then though, not sure I actually have that much faith in Holland to make good trades. His deal is drafting and developing. He's the guy we needed in 2015, and then later you hire a guy with some creativity to tweak the lineup. Oh well!

Anyways, it's 100 days until the Kraken expansion draft.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782765 is a reply to message #782760 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 15:27

I guess we're stuck having to get over 2 barriers before we actually make an effort to contend fully. Need to be having an absolutely outstanding regular season. And we also need the fear level of management to be low enough that they aren't too scared to stick their necks out again. Even then though, not sure I actually have that much faith in Holland to make good trades.

You shouldn't have much faith:

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ken_Hol land/138

You have to go pretty far back to find a real impact trade he made as general manager of the Red Wings. He did a little better as a seller than a buyer, especially on the Tatar trade, but generally he isn't great at trades at all.

The fact he's not willing to look at creative ways to manage a trade makes it even less likely he's going to do a good deal. If he didn't realize that the team needs another impact forward, then he's also blind to team need which is even worse.

I would love to hope that the owner really cares and might finally step in and get rid of all these clowns, but I don't think that's in the cards. They signed Holland to a long, expensive deal and unless he retires himself, I think he's there to stay. If they really feel that they need to augment the management team, maybe they'll hire MacTavish back again or Buchberger can become a Vice-President of something or other once more.

The players really have to outperform to make something happen here - which may be tougher if the coach defaults to playing older players who he knows exactly what to expect from over young ones who could surprise.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782761 is a reply to message #782759 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Also:

Quote:

Quote:

not sure why you'd upgrade the wing when you locked up top winger Zack Kassian long term. inferior teams needed to add stuff at the deadline, Oilers roster is already complete.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782772 is a reply to message #782741 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ken Holland is apparently talking to Justin Bourne on Tim & Friends later today. If anyone hears it, it would be interesting to know what was said.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782774 is a reply to message #782772 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 16:07

Ken Holland is apparently talking to Justin Bourne on Tim & Friends later today. If anyone hears it, it would be interesting to know what was said.

Why do you do this to yourself? You know what he's going to say. You know it's not going to solve the issues you see.

Edit: I really like Kulikov 6-9 years ago. He was a sneaky good fantasy dman in the Florida days. Now? He's fine. I haven't noticed him once in the games I've watch. Maybe that's what the Oilers need, but I doubt this trade will make a difference.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2021 16:11]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782775 is a reply to message #782774 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 16:09

Why do you do this to yourself? You know what he's going to say. You know it's not going to solve the issues you see.

Ha ha ha...yes, but sometimes it's good to have more confirmations. There's a few posters on here who think I'm too negative and too arrogant about my opinions. The problem is that I'd really like to be wrong about being negative about the team, but it's always so clear that they don't have much of a plan, and what they do have is pretty terrible so it's pretty easy to be NostrADAMus™.

If I can't have the satisfaction of watching a good hockey team win a Stanley Cup, at least I get the self-satisfaction of always being right.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782779 is a reply to message #782775 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 16:14

Ha ha ha...yes, but sometimes it's good to have more confirmations. There's a few posters on here who think I'm too negative and too arrogant about my opinions. The problem is that I'd really like to be wrong about being negative about the team, but it's always so clear that they don't have much of a plan, and what they do have is pretty terrible so it's pretty easy to be NostrADAMus™.

If I can't have the satisfaction of watching a good hockey team win a Stanley Cup, at least I get the self-satisfaction of always being right.

You know how when you don't like someone everything they do starts to annoy me. Holland sure sucks spit from the sides of his mouth a lot.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782783 is a reply to message #782775 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Yuuuuup

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782792 is a reply to message #782783 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 18:24

Yuuuuup

I’m comfortable with that.

It might help if the Oilers management ever proved me wrong...so blame them for this.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782735 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Holland delayed apparently. Is that due to the Mantha trade or is there something coming?

Nope, just Kulikov

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2021 13:41]

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782737 is a reply to message #782735 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:37

Holland delayed apparently. Is that due to the Mantha trade or is there something coming?

It's on. No more trades.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782740 is a reply to message #782737 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

It's on. No more trades.

Yup. Well didn't miss much working through this today, and catching up now. Kulikov will help, but.a yawner otherwise. I don't know if Kenny can be as creative as some of the other GMs have proven to be.

Holland admitting that what he did last year and how they didn't work out affected this year. Why yes, that's true, Kenny!

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782743 is a reply to message #782740 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 13:50

It's on. No more trades.

Yup. Well didn't miss much working through this today, and catching up now. Kulikov will help, but.a yawner otherwise. I don't know if Kenny can be as creative as some of the other GMs have proven to be.

Holland admitting that what he did last year and how they didn't work out affected this year. Why yes, that's true, Kenny!

Literally said he didn't consider anything creative. That is just awful. I don't think the Oilers have the talent they need in the management echo chamber. Holland talking about how he had a Detroit team that made the playoffs a lot of years in a row...it's not 2002 though, and you can't win the same way. And sitting on your hands isn't going to get us anything.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782738 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Well Oilers are done for the day.

This is the angriest I have been in some time. We clearly still have a management team that has very little skill, if that was in doubt.

5 million a year for Ken Holland. 5 million a year and the plan he came up with to win a Stanley Cup is to do it when Philip Broberg (or something) is ready. Two Art Ross winners on the team be damned, what this team really needs is MORE PATIENCE.

And you can't really blame the last guy when you spent 7 million on Turris, Chiasson, and Kassian.

Any success in Edmonton is going to have to be in spite of management.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782754 is a reply to message #782738 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

While it's always fun to speculate on who they could get in return for whatever crappy player they have, they were quiet as I expected. In my mind, the priorities of the team in order were left shot dman that can play in the top 4, top 6 winger, bottom 6 center. There was always faint, maybe unrealistic hope they could address a couple of those needs, I thought they would only be able to address 1 need and I had resounded myself to the expectation they would only address the bottom 6 center. I expected it would be Glendening. So I am happy they addressed the left shot dman which I saw as their #1 need.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782756 is a reply to message #782754 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 14:55

While it's always fun to speculate on who they could get in return for whatever crappy player they have, they were quiet as I expected. In my mind, the priorities of the team in order were left shot dman that can play in the top 4, top 6 winger, bottom 6 center. There was always faint, maybe unrealistic hope they could address a couple of those needs, I thought they would only be able to address 1 need and I had resounded myself to the expectation they would only address the bottom 6 center. I expected it would be Glendening. So I am happy they addressed the left shot dman which I saw as their #1 need.

I'm happy too. I don't care for summer hockey.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782755 is a reply to message #782738 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Although I wanted more than Kulikov, I am glad we didn’t go full Toronto. Like most, I wanted a top 6 forward today, but Holland, like any old man just talked about yesteryear and remembered his past glory days.

As for Toronto and why I wouldn’t want that much roster shuffling. By the time guys clear quarantine they won’t have much time to adjust to a new team and a new system. They’re playing great right now and this is hopefully going to be their disaster. 🤞🏽

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782757 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Another reason to be so disappointed...

Both Connor and Leon are healthy right now.

Maybe you have some more resources next year. So what. What happens if one of 29 or 97 go down next year? Gotta wait another year to go for it? Take the golden opportunities when you have them.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782758 is a reply to message #782757 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 15:04

Another reason to be so disappointed...

Both Connor and Leon are healthy right now.

Maybe you have some more resources next year. So what. What happens if one of 29 or 97 go down next year? Gotta wait another year to go for it? Take the golden opportunities when you have them.

Even if healthy, I think Vegas will be too scary for us to think we have a shot next year. Probably need to wait until 22/23. Then if the Cali teams are able to retool in that time, maybe they are too scary to think we can compete against them too. We likely sign some other plug that scored 15 goals on McDavid's wing to a 4x4M deal in 21/22 as well and Nurse extended for 9M AAV, so it's not like we had the cap space to do anything at the 22/23 deadline anyways. 23/24 though, maybe that's our shot.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782776 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I bet we'll look back on this year and wonder "what if?". Easy peasy division, prime AND healthy McDrai and we blow it on another year in the name of developmental/patience/burn bad contracts.

A second round win would be a miracle. Well as we always say: "next year will be THE year!"

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782787 is a reply to message #782776 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 16:33

I bet we'll look back on this year and wonder "what if?". Easy peasy division, prime AND healthy McDrai and we blow it on another year in the name of developmental/patience/burn bad contracts.

A second round win would be a miracle. Well as we always say: "next year will be THE year!"

Hate to be the one who says it, but we could still make it out of the North. Toronto looks good on paper, but they were cruising and today could screw that all up.

Today wasn’t ideal, but if past history has taught us anything, the TDD has more victims than victors. We just choose to remember 2006 and selectively forget every other year.

I am just trying to be rational, although I am upset we couldn’t take advantage of a a buyers market.....consolation prize? Next year should be a buyers market again.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782788 is a reply to message #782787 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 19:11

Hate to be the one who says it, but we could still make it out of the North. Toronto looks good on paper, but they were cruising and today could screw that all up.

Today wasn’t ideal, but if past history has taught us anything, the TDD has more victims than victors. We just choose to remember 2006 and selectively forget every other year.

I am just trying to be rational, although I am upset we couldn’t take advantage of a a buyers market.....consolation prize? Next year should be a buyers market again.

Oh for sure. Anything can happen. Price could get hot and Montreal knock Toronto out early. Edmonton could go on a run. But if we are looking at which GM bolstered their lineup to give them the best chance of success, it's hard to argue Toronto isn't a fair bit ahead in that regard. Anything could happen, Toronto just made moves to increase their odds, I guess.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782790 is a reply to message #782788 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Year 6 of McDavid who is probably having his best year yet, Draisaitl not far behind, Dmen amongst league leaders in points for the first time in as long as I can remember and one guy getting at least some Norris love, and even a goalie who seems to have turned back the clock and is getting a bit of Vézina love. All of this while in the weakest division they’ve ever had...

A team with a couple of glaring holes, and our play considering all of this, is Kulikov? boom

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782796 is a reply to message #782788 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 19:18

Oh for sure. Anything can happen. Price could get hot and Montreal knock Toronto out early. Edmonton could go on a run. But if we are looking at which GM bolstered their lineup to give them the best chance of success, it's hard to argue Toronto isn't a fair bit ahead in that regard. Anything could happen, Toronto just made moves to increase their odds, I guess.

I think one of the best things about taking a swing on deadline day is that it provides a bit of a morale boost to the players. Management really believes in us and is willing to mortgage a little of the future on the back of that belief.

In the McDavid era, we’ve only seen that one time and Covid short-circuited it.

We really haven’t seen the Oilers step to the plate in any other year outside of 2006, so it was a little jarring to hear Holland say that you can’t do it every year. Worth noting, there’s not been a lot of quiet deadlines for the Penguins in the Sidney Crosby era. They are always going for it.

If you’re going to be quiet, as GM you should bring some swagger in to the press conference. “I believe in this team and think there was nothing available that would have significantly improved on what we already have. Matty, you keep talking about holes in the lineup but I just don’t see that - what’s our record over the last 30 games?” The combination of not doing anything and then doing a presser and a series of shows where you basically say you A) don’t think the team is good enough to bother spending a pick now plus B) admit that you never considered any cap creativity is a killer. He’s slapped his players in the face and said there is no belief from management today. Even as we have the top two scorers in the game, a goalie riding an unbelievable hot streak and probably the weakest division in the game.

This is actually pretty similar to 2017 when Chiarelli literally said the Oilers weren’t ready despite incredible health and a good goalie and a star on the rise and then gave the Oilers David Desharnais as the only reinforcement.

There is still a chance we do okay. It is an Oilers tradition to beat the Jets for fun in the playoffs so I look forward to seeing that continue. If the Oilers play really well and get a little lucky, we might be able to beat Toronto too (and should beat Montreal if they upset the Leafs in the first round). But today management said they aren’t believers so anything that happens in the playoffs is on the backs of the guys on the ice with no help to the guy in the head office.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782797 is a reply to message #782796 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 20:44

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 19:18

I think one of the best things about taking a swing on deadline day is that it provides a bit of a morale boost to the players. Management really believes in us and is willing to mortgage a little of the future on the back of that belief.

In the McDavid era, we’ve only seen that one time and Covid short-circuited it.

We really haven’t seen the Oilers step to the plate in any other year outside of 2006, so it was a little jarring to hear Holland say that you can’t do it every year. Worth noting, there’s not been a lot of quiet deadlines for the Penguins in the Sidney Crosby era. They are always going for it.

If you’re going to be quiet, as GM you should bring some swagger in to the press conference. “I believe in this team and think there was nothing available that would have significantly improved on what we already have. Matty, you keep talking about holes in the lineup but I just don’t see that - what’s our record over the last 30 games?” The combination of not doing anything and then doing a presser and a series of shows where you basically say you A) don’t think the team is good enough to bother spending a pick now plus B) admit that you never considered any cap creativity is a killer. He’s slapped his players in the face and said there is no belief from management today. Even as we have the top two scorers in the game, a goalie riding an unbelievable hot streak and probably the weakest division in the game.

This is actually pretty similar to 2017 when Chiarelli literally said the Oilers weren’t ready despite incredible health and a good goalie and a star on the rise and then gave the Oilers David Desharnais as the only reinforcement.

There is still a chance we do okay. It is an Oilers tradition to beat the Jets for fun in the playoffs so I look forward to seeing that continue. If the Oilers play really well and get a little lucky, we might be able to beat Toronto too (and should beat Montreal if they upset the Leafs in the first round). But today management said they aren’t believers so anything that happens in the playoffs is on the backs of the guys on the ice with no help to the guy in the head office.

His message in the room ahead of the next practice is that he’s playing poker, telling the media we’re not in a position to make THE move but really, I believe in you guys. I’m playing poker.

But, Rishaug, next years the year.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782795 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I guess this was Holland’s gift to Nuge on his birthday. Didn’t get a 2LW to replace him, didn’t get a C to replace him. Gotta be good for negotiations, no? Team friendly deal Ryan, next years the year!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782798 is a reply to message #782671 ]
Mon, 12 April 2021 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Air Canada can get a bailout every time their bottom line takes a massive hit, but the Oilers can’t go for it 2 years in a row bc next years the year.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782821 is a reply to message #782798 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Look who's carrying water for the team now:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/oilers-holland-takes-subtle-app roach-trade-deadline-eye-future/

I wonder if the team needs to promise him a scoop in the future, or if he just kisses ass in hopes that it'll help him get one down the road...

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782823 is a reply to message #782821 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 12:37

Look who's carrying water for the team now:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/oilers-holland-takes-subtle-app roach-trade-deadline-eye-future/

I wonder if the team needs to promise him a scoop in the future, or if he just kisses ass in hopes that it'll help him get one down the road...

One should always include a warning that it’s a Spector article when posting a link. I do my best not to give that guy clicks.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782832 is a reply to message #782798 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 12 April 2021 19:54

Air Canada can get a bailout every time their bottom line takes a massive hit, but the Oilers can’t go for it 2 years in a row bc next years the year.

This summer will tell the tale, max. cap space, lower salary costs due to flat cap.. maybe buy out Neil, unload Turris.

This will define Holland's GM tenure.

Just hope the pro-scouts who figured Kahun, or Turris were good bets no longer have an authoritative voice in the decision process, any pro scout who actually scouted these two last year would have figured out they didn't have it, too slow, too soft.

We have a lot of excellent D prospects coming, maybe as early as next year.
And D. Holloway, likely make it out of camp, #3C or #1/#2 LW.
All on ELC contracts.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782837 is a reply to message #782832 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 16:47

This summer will tell the tale, max. cap space, lower salary costs due to flat cap.. maybe buy out Neil, unload Turris.

Just hope the pro-scouts who figured Kahun, or Turris were good bets no longer have an authoritative voice in the decision process, any pro scout who actually scouted these two last year would have figured out they didn't have it, too slow, too soft.

All on ELC contracts.

I keep hearing of this cap space the oil will have. While I do see it, I also see them having Nuge, Barrie, Larsson being UFA and Yamo RFA. And the need for a starting goalie. That 24’ish of cap is going to disappear real quick with mainly just the current roster in tact.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782842 is a reply to message #782837 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:02

All on ELC contracts.

I keep hearing of this cap space the oil will have. While I do see it, I also see them having Nuge, Barrie, Larsson being UFA and Yamo RFA. And the need for a starting goalie. That 24’ish of cap is going to disappear real quick with mainly just the current roster in tact.

I question whether the Oilers should re-sign Barrie at the dollars he's going to command for next year. I do think his play is one of the reasons we should be going for it this year, but if the team has any belief in Bouchard, they need him to make the jump sooner rather than later. If the team does not believe he's able to make that step, and they decide to sign Barrie, they should probably be trading him this summer. If you have Barrie long-term in front of him, he's pretty much permanently blocked and his value will only decline. I'm all for having a player pushed to make the team, but if you sign Barrie and especially if you also sign Larsson, then where's the room for him. Are you really going to trade Bear and then duplicate Barrie's skill set on two of the lines, but without giving him powerplay time? Bouchard's numbers in the AHL, in Europe, even in the NHL in small doses look like a guy who should be ready so either you give him an opening, or you trade him and get something else you need.

Starting goalie is a big issue. I'm still worried they're going to look at Smith's results and sign him...possibly before the summer even.

I still think it's crazy that people are still believing the next teenager is going to be the saviour here. Holloway is a kid. He's never played a minute of pro hockey. He's probably not the best option for NHL top-6 action just yet. Let him develop for 5 minutes first and force his way in.

Holland hasn't done well with cap space historically. Some really bad signings in Detroit over the last decade. Once he blows cap space, he doesn't have any idea how to clear it either. This summer is critically important...so here's hoping he's not as much of a dinosaur as he looks now.

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782848 is a reply to message #782842 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:49

All on ELC contracts.

I question whether the Oilers should re-sign Barrie at the dollars he's going to command for next year. I do think his play is one of the reasons we should be going for it this year, but if the team has any belief in Bouchard, they need him to make the jump sooner rather than later. If the team does not believe he's able to make that step, and they decide to sign Barrie, they should probably be trading him this summer. If you have Barrie long-term in front of him, he's pretty much permanently blocked and his value will only decline. I'm all for having a player pushed to make the team, but if you sign Barrie and especially if you also sign Larsson, then where's the room for him. Are you really going to trade Bear and then duplicate Barrie's skill set on two of the lines, but without giving him powerplay time? Bouchard's numbers in the AHL, in Europe, even in the NHL in small doses look like a guy who should be ready so either you give him an opening, or you trade him and get something else you need.

Starting goalie is a big issue. I'm still worried they're going to look at Smith's results and sign him...possibly before the summer even.

I still think it's crazy that people are still believing the next teenager is going to be the saviour here. Holloway is a kid. He's never played a minute of pro hockey. He's probably not the best option for NHL top-6 action just yet. Let him develop for 5 minutes first and force his way in.

Holland hasn't done well with cap space historically. Some really bad signings in Detroit over the last decade. Once he blows cap space, he doesn't have any idea how to clear it either. This summer is critically important...so here's hoping he's not as much of a dinosaur as he looks now.

I think Larsson is a guy you resign before Nuge or Barrie. We don’t have ‘another Larsson type’ on the right side in the org. Now, obviously it would be nice to have him come in around 2-3M rather than the little over 4 he’s getting now. But, if I’m Larsson, I’m not sure I take that. Sure, flat cap. But he’s 28, he may be viewing this UFA summer as his last chance at a decent bank account padder for retirement back in Sweden. In a perfect world, he wants to stay and takes a bit less to do so. He’s not flashy, but he’s a breed of dman that we don’t have coming up the pipe.

Barrie as an Oiler has been a hit. Let’s be honest. He is what he is and he’s excelled at that in Edmonton. Not great defensively but is an elite puck mover and has helped lift McDavid up even more. He and Nurse, albeit, again, not great defensively, have for the most part created a real offensive threat of 5 man unit when deployed with McDavid’s line. Barrie now is what we all want and hope Bouchard can be.

Bear’s had a bit of an uphill climb this year. Tough break taking a puck to the side of the head while on the bench which knocked him out for a few weeks. But that coincided with Tipp and Co placing Barrie with Nurse, along with Schmiddy returning, leading to the Oilers turnaround this season. He’s had moments again since returning, but is relatively still green when it comes to being an NHL defenceman. Hopefully he can take that step of consistency as he closes into that 200 game mark.

Can Bouchard be Barrie? Sure. He could. Heck, he could be a more defensively responsible form of Barrie. But with the amount of preaching we’ve been force fed lately about ‘next year is the year’ is it smart to put yourself in that position to (hopefully) contend with 2 RHD who are still figuring out how to be NHL defencemen? Yes, Old Man Bouch has excelled at every level so far, but going into next season with Bouchard, Larsson and Bear as your top 3 organizational RHD doesn’t smell of contention. It smells of hope, which is something we’re used to breathing in as Oiler fans (that and MustTM).

Along with that we have Tipp’s desire to have 4 traditional PKer’s dressed on D each night. You’re not getting Barrie and Bouch in the lineup the same night with Tippett, unless one of them is playing their off side, which occurred in Bouchards last game, I believe, leading to incredible fancy stats for the Bouchard-Bear pair, something like 18 chances for and 2 against or something wild, however the 2 chances they gave up ended up in the back of the net.

I agree, Bouchard needs to play and Barrie is the one blocking him, not Bear, as Bear is a PKer in Tipp’s eyes. But given how the window to contend, according to the org, starts next year (should have been opened the second McDavid became an Oiler but that’s for another day), I 100% believe we see Barrie-Larss-Bear as our 3 RHD again next year and Bouchard either getting angry in the A or playing for Boston(heard it here first).

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2021 18:47]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Kulikov for a Conditional 4th [message #782856 is a reply to message #782848 ]
Tue, 13 April 2021 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 18:45

Adam wrote on Tue, 13 April 2021 17:49

All on ELC contracts.

I think Larsson is a guy you resign before Nuge or Barrie. We don’t have ‘another Larsson type’ on the right side in the org. Now, obviously it would be nice to have him come in around 2-3M rather than the little over 4 he’s getting now. But, if I’m Larsson, I’m not sure I take that. Sure, flat cap. But he’s 28, he may be viewing this UFA summer as his last chance at a decent bank account padder for retirement back in Sweden. In a perfect world, he wants to stay and takes a bit less to do so. He’s not flashy, but he’s a breed of dman that we don’t have coming up the pipe.

Barrie as an Oiler has been a hit. Let’s be honest. He is what he is and he’s excelled at that in Edmonton. Not great defensively but is an elite puck mover and has helped lift McDavid up even more. He and Nurse, albeit, again, not great defensively, have for the most part created a real offensive threat of 5 man unit when deployed with McDavid’s line. Barrie now is what we all want and hope Bouchard can be.

Bear’s had a bit of an uphill climb this year. Tough break taking a puck to the side of the head while on the bench which knocked him out for a few weeks. But that coincided with Tipp and Co placing Barrie with Nurse, along with Schmiddy returning, leading to the Oilers turnaround this season. He’s had moments again since returning, but is relatively still green when it comes to being an NHL defenceman. Hopefully he can take that step of consistency as he closes into that 200 game mark.

Can Bouchard be Barrie? Sure. He could. Heck, he could be a more defensively responsible form of Barrie. But with the amount of preaching we’ve been force fed lately about ‘next year is the year’ is it smart to put yourself in that position to (hopefully) contend with 2 RHD who are still figuring out how to be NHL defencemen? Yes, Old Man Bouch has excelled at every level so far, but going into next season with Bouchard, Larsson and Bear as your top 3 organizational RHD doesn’t smell of contention. It smells of hope, which is something we’re used to breathing in as Oiler fans (that and MustTM).

Along with that we have Tipp’s desire to have 4 traditional PKer’s dressed on D each night. You’re not getting Barrie and Bouch in the lineup the same night with Tippett, unless one of them is playing their off side, which occurred in Bouchards last game, I believe, leading to incredible fancy stats for the Bouchard-Bear pair, something like 18 chances for and 2 against or something wild, however the 2 chances they gave up ended up in the back of the net.

I agree, Bouchard needs to play and Barrie is the one blocking him, not Bear, as Bear is a PKer in Tipp’s eyes. But given how the window to contend, according to the org, starts next year (should have been opened the second McDavid became an Oiler but that’s for another day), I 100% believe we see Barrie-Larss-Bear as our 3 RHD again next year and Bouchard either getting angry in the A or playing for Boston(heard it here first).

Injuries happen, and then there's always surprises too. Larsson looked done last year; then he's had a bit of a rebirth this year. Bear looked like a stud last year; at times he's struggled this year.

Especially with Bouchard on the ELC, I don't mind having four "Top-6" defensemen in the organization. There's a big drop off to the next RHD in the organization after those four, so it provides a little cover if there is a season ending injury or regression to Larsson's game.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca