This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781425]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781430 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Man we didn't deserve that win but, bank it and move on to mtl.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781436 is a reply to message #781430 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 18:32

With all the non-calls by the NHL Corp. Refs in the last 5 games vs the NHL's 1st-tier-franchise Leafs .. we deserved this one on moral grounds.. icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781486 is a reply to message #781436 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 22:33

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 18:32

With all the non-calls by the NHL Corp. Refs in the last 5 games vs the NHL's 1st-tier-franchise Leafs .. we deserved this one on moral grounds.. icon_nod

Matthews was draped all over McDavid with impunity the whole game, but then in OT when he was egregiously holding/interfering with him to stop him, still no arm goes up. They keep showing the replayed this morning and I get more and more pissed each time. I don't know how we win a playoff round against that team + the refs...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781450 is a reply to message #781430 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 19:32

Switch the 1st and 2nd stars and it's right. Goalie win, the game wouldn't have been close without 2 or 3 huge saves by Smith. Better night from the bottom 9, but I thought Connor's line was outchanced and nullified That saidlad they finally beat them, even if there's loser point.

Go away from your 2 best centers on the same line, Tip. I don't like LD playing those kind of minutes either, and you need a size element on the 2nd line. He doesnt have Connor's stamina when he gets up to 20 - 22 min and up. He looked pretty gassed and awful on that PP. I like him better fresh, get Leon going as the center 5v5 centering the 2nd line, and play him up situationally.

On to Mtl. LFG.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781431 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Now THIS is the kind of game that should give the team a psychological boost. They come back to tie up the game and then pull out the win in OT. Nurse just continues to play better and better hockey as the season goes on.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781435 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

A certain poster likes to continually dump on Mike Smith, but he's the only reason they won tonight, and it's not the first time that's the case.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781440 is a reply to message #781435 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 19:33

A certain poster likes to continually dump on Mike Smith, but he's the only reason they won tonight, and it's not the first time that's the case.

I agree. He had a great game and for the most part has been very good for a while. They gotta keep banking points while he has the hot hand.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781442 is a reply to message #781435 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Hey, if you are referring to me, you will notice I haven’t been bashing him lately. For good reason. In fact I have been giving him accolades for saves etc. Just didn’t do it in GDT tonight, but was gonna here, but then I seen your dumb post.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781459 is a reply to message #781442 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 19:40

Hey, if you are referring to me, you will notice I haven’t been bashing him lately. For good reason. In fact I have been giving him accolades for saves etc. Just didn’t do it in GDT tonight, but was gonna here, but then I seen your dumb post.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about me, so you're all good.

I think all I've been saying is that this is just a hot streak and likely an aberration, so enjoy it while it lasts, but expect the other shoe to drop at any time. I have been rejecting the thought that this is because he's just so focussed on his craft that he's playing among the best hockey of his entire life at 38 years old...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781480 is a reply to message #781459 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 21:02

I think all I've been saying is that this is just a hot streak and likely an aberration, so enjoy it while it lasts, but expect the other shoe to drop at any time. I have been rejecting the thought that this is because he's just so focussed on his craft that he's playing among the best hockey of his entire life at 38 years old...

Adam, I didn't think he was a starter at all either. I thought he was a useful experienced backup in the twilight. But watching his positioning, his reactions, his tactics and his focus, it really looks like he's for real this year. Like he's being coached by a skilled goaltender and is constantly working on his game. Koskinen looks the exact opposite - like a typical Oiler-coached goalie. Watch Smith's aggressive forward motion with his blocker on shots from passes across the slot - he attacks towards the player while Koskinen drops his arm instead. Smith challenges as much as he can and forces the opposition to work hard to score - the closest to CuJo I've seen here since CuJo. He's still going to have some dud games, I'm sure, but I don't see wheels falling off in a short season.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781481 is a reply to message #781480 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 22:57

Adam, I didn't think he was a starter at all either. I thought he was a useful experienced backup in the twilight. But watching his positioning, his reactions, his tactics and his focus, it really looks like he's for real this year. Like he's being coached by a skilled goaltender and is constantly working on his game. Koskinen looks the exact opposite - like a typical Oiler-coached goalie. Watch Smith's aggressive forward motion with his blocker on shots from passes across the slot - he attacks towards the player while Koskinen drops his arm instead. Smith challenges as much as he can and forces the opposition to work hard to score - the closest to CuJo I've seen here since CuJo. He's still going to have some dud games, I'm sure, but I don't see wheels falling off in a short season.

I don't think pro goalies get better at age 38, even if they're capably coached.

I think people tend to like Smith because it looks like he's really trying out there. I don't think that's generally a good thing. Much like choppy skaters look like they're really working, overly active goalies are out of position more. It's inefficient.

The Koskinen comparisons don't hold much water either. Koskinen's played seven times since Smith came back, starting six of those games. He took the loss for Smith in the 6-5 loss to Winnipeg, despite the fact Smith let in 4 of 6 goals. In the other games, he's 4-2. His save percentage is .931 and his goals against average is under two.

The Oilers have been playing strong defensively (despite the fact that there's so many complaints about young defencemen here whenever they make ANY error) and both goalies numbers have been strong - with Koskinen's actually better than Smith's.

I think strong defence and a hot streak from goaltending has been a great thing for the Oilers the last 6 or 7 weeks, but I don't think the goaltending is sustainable, and I worry that the wheels won't come off until it's too late and it costs the Oilers a playoff round or Ken Holland decides that Smith IS the exception to the rule and he's getting better as he ages like a fine wine and re-ups him for another year.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. It would be great to have the Oilers in the Finals and Mike Smith on the way to a Conn Smythe Trophy...but I am not holding my breath.

Also Dustin Tokarski is not a goalie whisperer.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781483 is a reply to message #781481 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 23:14

I don't think pro goalies get better at age 38, even if they're capably coached.

I think people tend to like Smith because it looks like he's really trying out there. I don't think that's generally a good thing. Much like choppy skaters look like they're really working, overly active goalies are out of position more. It's inefficient.

The Koskinen comparisons don't hold much water either. Koskinen's played seven times since Smith came back, starting six of those games. He took the loss for Smith in the 6-5 loss to Winnipeg, despite the fact Smith let in 4 of 6 goals. In the other games, he's 4-2. His save percentage is .931 and his goals against average is under two.

The Oilers have been playing strong defensively (despite the fact that there's so many complaints about young defencemen here whenever they make ANY error) and both goalies numbers have been strong - with Koskinen's actually better than Smith's.

I think strong defence and a hot streak from goaltending has been a great thing for the Oilers the last 6 or 7 weeks, but I don't think the goaltending is sustainable, and I worry that the wheels won't come off until it's too late and it costs the Oilers a playoff round or Ken Holland decides that Smith IS the exception to the rule and he's getting better as he ages like a fine wine and re-ups him for another year.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. It would be great to have the Oilers in the Finals and Mike Smith on the way to a Conn Smythe Trophy...but I am not holding my breath.

My complaint on Koskinen is that he looks like he has poor confidence and is not being coached well. He looks like Dubnyk as an Oiler. I think he has potential but I don't hold out a ton of hope right now - institutional goalie mismanagement mainly. I think Koskinen's numbers improved because the team gained confidence with Smith available - less pressure on the team led to better results. And you're totally right to worry about the wheels coming off (me too) especially when having to face a US divisional after facing the Canucks and Sens all season. But that applies to the whole team not just the G's.

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781495 is a reply to message #781481 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 23:14

I don't think a 39 year old goalie has upside, so no he's not going to get better. Can he play his best and maintain a high level for the season and the playoffs? Can he mitigate bad habits and use tweaks to techniques to help maintain? I think so, and that's probably good enough. Turned out to be an excellent signing, especially when you look at backups around the league.

The conversation should surround the 'starter' and the fact he's signed for another year after this one, and where to go from there. I think the point you're probably trying to make in goalie discussions is that ideally the Oilers this summer somehow acquire a guy who can have term here and take Koskinen's job, not just for the year but for term. The only misgiving I have about Smith is he's short term year to year and the Oilers are probably lucky this is a short season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781438 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Man...hope Barrie is ok...odd to see there wasn't any blood afterwards.

It's ultra frustrating shutting down that first line for the Leafs to trot out a 2nd line of Tavares/Nylander right afterwards.

These games kind of reminded me of the 30 million dollar payroll Oilers teams fending off the Dallas Stars circa late 90s/early 2000s....only except this rendition is much better compensated in cap hell lol.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781443 is a reply to message #781438 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

That skate in the face he took was scary, hes not a guy this team can afford to lose

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781445 is a reply to message #781438 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Barrie could have become "two face" right there...

...back to the game. I did not think this team would come back in this one at all. SMITH obviously stole this one.

I still stand by my assertion that this team has a better chance to beat the LEAFS if 97 and 29 DO NOT play together all the time...

anyway... 1st place might still be an option.

god

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781447 is a reply to message #781445 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Pretty much the opposite of Saturday's game. I thought we deserved to win that one, and deserved to lose this one. Thank you Mr Smith.
Glad Barrie is OK. Not sure how the skate blade missed him there.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781448 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

I remember I was mad here when we took Drai over Bennett so I don’t ever go after people for previous comments. I’ve been wrong with my hot takes for years. The Mike Smith short leash and Koski thing was odd but the COVID break really made fans forget Jan, Feb and March of 2020 and just remember Game 1 of the play in. And it’s funny that it was Koski that got the last 3 games and didn’t do much better. Should have gone back to Mike Smith in Game 4.

Anyways, love that he came back to the team when he signed and he’s been great.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781449 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I guess the best part of this game is that we dont have to play them again.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781451 is a reply to message #781449 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

First place is not out of the question again... if the JETS do their part. icon_nod

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781453 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oilers also complete the Oreo tonight :

https://i.ibb.co/zhxK0fh/73-DFB0-D9-DDB9-4324-B020-7-B390-A85-AF11.jpg

This post is a celebration of diversity, hopefully not taken the wrong way!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781454 is a reply to message #781453 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Edmonton always seems to have a diverse group even before it was trendy.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781455 is a reply to message #781453 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 20:23

Thats just the Oilers Sportsnet version of the 3 stars. Leafs Sportsnet was 1-Smith 2-Some Leaf 3-Nurse. I don't know why they let homer broadcasters just make these things up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781456 is a reply to message #781455 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

If you told me we’d take 3 out of 4 points against the Leafs on Friday I would’ve been pretty happy, but the late collapse and Toronto’s ability to stave off are stars is disturbing. Even if it’s clutching and grabbing, the refs are letting it go.

My one bad take. Tippett has zero ability to alter his strategies in-game. Why not double shift the two once in a while or break them up for a few shifts. It’ll make the other coach make decisions on the fly and spread out the offence.

I was wrong about Smith, but I’ll zero faith in him until he is holding the Cup over his head and even then I don’t want to re-sign him.

On a positive note. The Oilers didn’t quit in either game and are banking points even with that break and being stuck in their hotels for a week.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781460 is a reply to message #781456 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 20:56

If you told me we’d take 3 out of 4 points against the Leafs on Friday I would’ve been pretty happy, but the late collapse and Toronto’s ability to stave off are stars is disturbing. Even if it’s clutching and grabbing, the refs are letting it go.

My one bad take. Tippett has zero ability to alter his strategies in-game. Why not double shift the two once in a while or break them up for a few shifts. It’ll make the other coach make decisions on the fly and spread out the offence.

I was wrong about Smith, but I’ll zero faith in him until he is holding the Cup over his head and even then I don’t want to re-sign him.

On a positive note. The Oilers didn’t quit in either game and are banking points even with that break and being stuck in their hotels for a week.

PlAyOfF hOcKeY - Refs, probably

I’m pretty sure Tippett did double shift McDavid. He sent Connor out with Kass and Ennis for a shift in the third. Unless McD stayed out longer than normal or Kass/Ennis stayed out longer than normal but I’m pretty sure it happened.

In Schmiddy we trust. I think we were all wrong, difference is that some of us are willing to accept our wrong take while others are waiting for the wheels to fall off to say “I told you so”.

(Truly would be pleased if Koskinen is shipped to Buffalo with cap filler for Hall here soon. That second line produced a lucky bounce goal but top 6 LW is the one glaring hole. Nets, sure, but Schmiddy is sure making a case to shut us all [Yes, all, even Adam] up.)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781490 is a reply to message #781455 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 20:30

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 20:23

Thats just the Oilers Sportsnet version of the 3 stars. Leafs Sportsnet was 1-Smith 2-Some Leaf 3-Nurse. I don't know why they let homer broadcasters just make these things up.

Weird, different channels give different stars? Immediately after the game, this image came up for me. I laughed and took a photo because of what they did to Hyman

https://i.imgur.com/GDDPyPJ.png

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781458 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Never in doubt, right?

I'd prefer if we stopped letting Toronto outshoot us badly. It's not a recipe for success.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781463 is a reply to message #781425 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hehe, only saw that Turris and Nurse scored on my phone, finally got to watch. Not disappointed! Turris goal exactly what you'd expect, and we honestly deserve after that poop last game. And Beautiful McDavid setup, after separating from elite 2-way Matthews, for Nurse to snipe another one home.

Pleasantly surprised, and from the first 2 periods I saw, Smith was YUGE.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781466 is a reply to message #781463 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 21:06

Hehe, only saw that Turris and Nurse scored on my phone, finally got to watch. Not disappointed! Turris goal exactly what you'd expect, and we honestly deserve after that poop last game. And Beautiful McDavid setup, after separating from elite 2-way Matthews, for Nurse to snipe another one home.

Pleasantly surprised, and from the first 2 periods I saw, Smith was YUGE.

tippett on kyle turris: "we got a break on turris' goal. i'm real happy for him, he's gone through a lot between struggling early, then covid. he's worked hard. if anyone deserved to have one go off your ass, it's him."

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781476 is a reply to message #781466 ]
Mon, 29 March 2021 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 21:21

tippett on kyle turris: "we got a break on turris' goal. i'm real happy for him, he's gone through a lot between struggling early, then covid. he's worked hard. if anyone deserved to have one go off your ass, it's him."

Now hopefully we get to see some of these kind of Turris goals:

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781491 is a reply to message #781476 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

They got the win and that is all that counts.

Smith was outstanding. He was the reason they won. Another great game by him. I am sure I will be told how it's a hot streak and he will fall off, complain about management, blah, blah, blah. I really don't care to hear the same message once again. The guy is playing great. Clearly he is doing something different and it's working. He's working his ass off. He's a massive reason they are where they are. He wants to win so badly and seems to almost take it personally when a goal gets by him which I am digging and I think it's rubbing off on the rest of the team including McD. In my opinion, I do not necessarily think this team hated to lose in the past as much as they should have but it looks different this year and I think Smith has something to do with it. At 39 I do not think Smith can keep what he is doing long term but could he do it in a shorten season? Yes he could. We have seen other teams goalies over the years have that one off season where they play out of their minds. Hopefully it's happening here. It's enjoyable to watch games right now and Smith is part of that reason. I hope it keeps going.

Nurse - Holy cow. He has more goals and as many points as Nuge. He has said with the lose of Klefbom, he felt he needed to step up. Well if this is the dman that comes from Klefbom being out, I am not sure I want Klefbom back. He's been fantastic.

The bottom 6 I thought was very good. Khaira was 62% on faceoffs, Haas was 67%. How the hell did that happen?

Good for Turris to get a lucky on. He needed it. I thought he was decent.

Did Nuge play? Time to put him with Leon so Leon can get him to score again. Just not happening for him. I guess the nice thing is his price point should be dropping like a rock.

Time to break up McD and Leon. It was fun but this team is better when they are apart. Save putting them together when you are down a goal.

I am liking Kassian's game. If they split up McD and Leon, I'd look to move him up.

I am sure all the Leafs media guys and fans will be puffing their chest out saying they stopped the McD-Leon combo for the most part. Well they do it by the refs not calling a damn thing. I saw a replay this morning of McD trying to skate and some Leaf blatantly grabbing him and holding him up. McD shockingly reacted so you know it was bad. I think he needs to say something publicly about the refs. I know he is all about being respectful but enough is enough. People tune in to watch McD, Leon, Matthews, Marner, etc, show their skill. They don't tune in to watch 3rd and 4th liners go WWE on the stars because that's the only way they can keep up. If the league wants to grow the game, let the stars play. Call the damn rules!! In the beginning, yes there will be an insane amount of penalties but guys will figure it out REAL quick or be out of the line up. The NBA does it with their stars and look at their game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781503 is a reply to message #781491 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 08:56

They got the win and that is all that counts.

Smith was outstanding. He was the reason they won. Another great game by him. I am sure I will be told how it's a hot streak and he will fall off, complain about management, blah, blah, blah. I really don't care to hear the same message once again. The guy is playing great. Clearly he is doing something different and it's working. He's working his ass off. He's a massive reason they are where they are. He wants to win so badly and seems to almost take it personally when a goal gets by him which I am digging and I think it's rubbing off on the rest of the team including McD. In my opinion, I do not necessarily think this team hated to lose in the past as much as they should have but it looks different this year and I think Smith has something to do with it. At 39 I do not think Smith can keep what he is doing long term but could he do it in a shorten season? Yes he could. We have seen other teams goalies over the years have that one off season where they play out of their minds. Hopefully it's happening here. It's enjoyable to watch games right now and Smith is part of that reason. I hope it keeps going.

Nurse - Holy cow. He has more goals and as many points as Nuge. He has said with the lose of Klefbom, he felt he needed to step up. Well if this is the dman that comes from Klefbom being out, I am not sure I want Klefbom back. He's been fantastic.

The bottom 6 I thought was very good. Khaira was 62% on faceoffs, Haas was 67%. How the hell did that happen?

Good for Turris to get a lucky on. He needed it. I thought he was decent.

Did Nuge play? Time to put him with Leon so Leon can get him to score again. Just not happening for him. I guess the nice thing is his price point should be dropping like a rock.

Time to break up McD and Leon. It was fun but this team is better when they are apart. Save putting them together when you are down a goal.

I am liking Kassian's game. If they split up McD and Leon, I'd look to move him up.

I am sure all the Leafs media guys and fans will be puffing their chest out saying they stopped the McD-Leon combo for the most part. Well they do it by the refs not calling a damn thing. I saw a replay this morning of McD trying to skate and some Leaf blatantly grabbing him and holding him up. McD shockingly reacted so you know it was bad. I think he needs to say something publicly about the refs. I know he is all about being respectful but enough is enough. People tune in to watch McD, Leon, Matthews, Marner, etc, show their skill. They don't tune in to watch 3rd and 4th liners go WWE on the stars because that's the only way they can keep up. If the league wants to grow the game, let the stars play. Call the damn rules!! In the beginning, yes there will be an insane amount of penalties but guys will figure it out REAL quick or be out of the line up. The NBA does it with their stars and look at their game.

Once I got past “ I am sure I will be told how it's a hot streak and he will fall off, complain about management, blah, blah, blah. I really don't care to hear the same message once again.” it was a very enjoyable post.

You come here to generate discussion and you are successful at it, but you need to chill. If we all agreed with each other this site would be terrible. It comes across as pouty. Keep calm and post on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781513 is a reply to message #781491 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

His price point dropping could mean we get substantially less in a trade than we would have if he was having a decent stretch right now. Pragmatically, he's a UFA and we need to get something for him: either a contract renewal in the next 10 days or players who can fill in holes towards contention. He's been soft and floaty for about 6 weeks now after a great start.

We'll see the asset management side of things quickly. If he stays here without a renewal what are the chances he bails for money elsewhere?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781514 is a reply to message #781513 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 11:49

His price point dropping could mean we get substantially less in a trade than we would have if he was having a decent stretch right now. Pragmatically, he's a UFA and we need to get something for him: either a contract renewal in the next 10 days or players who can fill in holes towards contention. He's been soft and floaty for about 6 weeks now after a great start.

We'll see the asset management side of things quickly. If he stays here without a renewal what are the chances he bails for money elsewhere?

I think trading the third highest scoring forward on a team that lacks scoring depth ahead of the playoffs would be a disaster.

If he doesn't sign an extension, then view him as a rental, but you can't trade him. You're just not likely to get back anything other than picks or prospects, because the only ones taking on UFAs-to-be are teams gearing up for their own playoff runs. They won't give you someone with term who can fill the same role.

It would send a terrible message to the team to trade Nuge at a point where the team should only think about adding. If you look at the North Division, it's a winnable division assuming the goaltending holds up.

We could lose Nuge after the season, and that would be a shame - especially if he leaves for no return. But if we trade him and take a weakened squad in to the playoffs, I think that will just upset all our players (and honestly, it should).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781520 is a reply to message #781514 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 12:02

I think trading the third highest scoring forward on a team that lacks scoring depth ahead of the playoffs would be a disaster.

If he doesn't sign an extension, then view him as a rental, but you can't trade him. You're just not likely to get back anything other than picks or prospects, because the only ones taking on UFAs-to-be are teams gearing up for their own playoff runs. They won't give you someone with term who can fill the same role.

It would send a terrible message to the team to trade Nuge at a point where the team should only think about adding. If you look at the North Division, it's a winnable division assuming the goaltending holds up.

We could lose Nuge after the season, and that would be a shame - especially if he leaves for no return. But if we trade him and take a weakened squad in to the playoffs, I think that will just upset all our players (and honestly, it should).

Why would the people that think Nuge is a plug be upset with him walking anyway? After all, the league is bristling with free agents who can center 'drive' 2nd lines, 'uplift' 3rd liners, play the PK, PP, or 1/2 LW, probably for less AAV, right? Dollar out, dollar in......easy peasy. I guess we need that near mythical player when arguably the 2nd best center in the league and last year's Hart recipient is playing 1LW.

So is LD a center or a winger? I don't mind him up there in situations, but Tip for games has concentrated all the size of the top 6 on one line with mixed results. I don't know what anyone expected. I don't get Tips aversion to last years 2nd line, because each and every player on that line has been less successful at 5v5 since they went away from it, including LD.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781523 is a reply to message #781520 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 12:35

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 12:02

Why would the people that think Nuge is a plug be upset with him walking anyway? After all, the league is bristling with free agents who can center 'drive' 2nd lines, 'uplift' 3rd liners, play the PK, PP, or 1/2 LW, probably for less AAV, right? Dollar out, dollar in......easy peasy. I guess we need that near mythical player when arguably the 2nd best center in the league and last year's Hart recipient is playing 1LW.

So is LD a center or a winger? I don't mind him up there in situations, but Tip for games has concentrated all the size of the top 6 on one line with mixed results. I don't know what anyone expected. I don't get Tips aversion to last years 2nd line, because each and every player on that line has been less successful at 5v5 since they went away from it, including LD.

I definitely don't think Nuge is a plug. He's the third most important forward on the team.

It would suck to lose him for nothing, but trading him now for picks or prospects would be worse. None of those are going to play PK or PP or the second line in the playoffs. No one is giving you back a guy to take his place - so what exactly does the team do if they trade him away? Trade the same assets to someone else for an equivalent player who's also likely UFA-to-be and can walk in a few months? I'm not sure how that helps us - they'll have to quarantine, so we lose a week and they may have less chemistry with the team. There's unknowns with an addition, while we know what we have in Nugent-Hopkins.

Trading him should just not be contemplated at all unless there's a miracle deal out there for him where we get an equivalent player with term. No one should make that trade though.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781519 is a reply to message #781513 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Even if they can't get a deal done before the deadline, I don't think trading Nuge is the right thing to do right now. In all likelihood, you are not getting a player who's better than him right now so why trade him. Your team is good. I haven't seen the percentages but I have to think they are almost a guarantee to be in the playoffs, maybe not 100% but they have to be high 90's. You have a chance at maybe being #1 in your division. They should be looking to add if anything, not subtracting.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781521 is a reply to message #781519 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 12:27

Even if they can't get a deal done before the deadline, I don't think trading Nuge is the right thing to do right now. In all likelihood, you are not getting a player who's better than him right now so why trade him. Your team is good. I haven't seen the percentages but I have to think they are almost a guarantee to be in the playoffs, maybe not 100% but they have to be high 90's. You have a chance at maybe being #1 in your division. They should be looking to add if anything, not subtracting.

Dollar out dollar in, easy peasy. Who is the driver of 2nd line at center when Hart center LD is playing wing, or 1/2 LW guy, or PK/PP guy you have your eye on when the Oilers let that plug walk?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39) [message #781525 is a reply to message #781519 ]
Tue, 30 March 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 30 March 2021 12:27

Nuge is an elite top 6 winger with the right C that can slow the game down for Nuge to be a sneaky bugger, but we just refuse to play him that way :)

It's just comical at this point the lengths Tippett goes to to play Nuge with everyone except Drai. He even made McDavid play with plugs last night when McDrai was playing terrible. But made sure to work the other lines so Nuge and Drai didn't see 1 second of eachother.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 March 2021 12:52]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca