This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781190]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781208 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I was going to say originally (assuming the Oil won) that this game was a great psychological boost after their last series of meetings. However, when you lose in OT after having played a near-perfect road game with a 2-goal lead, it can have the opposite effect. Let's hope that the team can rebound from this one mentally, because it's a tough one to take....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781210 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Smith played lights out, two fluke goals, and the other two his team bailed on him.
This team has a few dead weights.. Bear is becoming one of them.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781211 is a reply to message #781210 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Bring in Bouchard for game 2, Bear sits and works on his game with the taxi squad.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781214 is a reply to message #781211 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Bear and Jones have been pretty rough this year. Definitely in slump mode.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781217 is a reply to message #781214 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 18:48

That's why I say Bouchard, at least that guy can skate and pivot like a legit D man. Bear looked like a turnstile out there tonight.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781221 is a reply to message #781217 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:52

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 18:48

That's why I say Bouchard, at least that guy can skate and pivot like a legit D man. Bear looked like a turnstile out there tonight.

His feet appear to be 100 lbs.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781215 is a reply to message #781211 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:46

Bring in Bouchard for game 2, Bear sits and works on his game with the taxi squad.

I don't think that's a bad idea. Couple breakdowns tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781219 is a reply to message #781215 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:48

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:46

I don't think that's a bad idea. Couple breakdowns tonight.

I don’t think Bouchard would be this much of a liability. Plus he’s got great offensive instincts.

Bear needs a popcorn diet for a week.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781220 is a reply to message #781210 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Yeah, Bear is a big let down this year. I don’t understand how Bouchard is not in basically every night.

That’s what a total of 2 PP in 3 of the last 4 games against them? Don’t get me wrong - not blaming the refs for the loss. I blame the sitting back and trying to go in a shell. But man it’s frustrating to watch sometimes.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781224 is a reply to message #781220 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 18:54

Yeah, Bear is a big let down this year. I don’t understand how Bouchard is not in basically every night.

That’s what a total of 2 PP in 3 of the last 4 games against them? Don’t get me wrong - not blaming the refs for the loss. I blame the sitting back and trying to go in a shell. But man it’s frustrating to watch sometimes.

Leafs could have been easily called for a few PP tonight that were on the same level as the ones called on the Oilers, didn't happen. NHL/Media wants Toronto coming out the North to the quarter finals, too much $ riding on it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781212 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The broadcast team, specifically Simmer, got the homer win they wanted.

Gad, not much good to say but a less than complete game where they can't hold a 2 goal lead with 8 or 10 remaining.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781216 is a reply to message #781212 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:46

For a guy who was such a winner on the ice, Simpson is an absolute LOSER of a commentator. Not insightful. Not entertaining. Not impartial.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781218 is a reply to message #781216 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 18:51

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:46

For a guy who was such a winner on the ice, Simpson is an absolute LOSER of a commentator. Not insightful. Not entertaining. Not impartial.

Great hair though.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781222 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Which D is playing better right now[ 20 vote(s) ]
1.C. Jones 0 / 0%
2.K. Russell 17 / 85%
3.E. Bear 3 / 15%

Who's playing better right now ..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781227 is a reply to message #781222 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:55

Who's playing better right now ..

Cant believe it has come to this but I voted Russell...

The other two just simply havent been good this season. Russell, while still good for some weird plays has played an adequate 3rd pairing style most games he has dressed for.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781225 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bummer. Clearly we need another mcdavid or drai in this team hehe.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781228 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Might be time to swap Bear for Bouchard. Sophomore Slump seems to be parked in his back pocket.
Nuge isn’t doing himself many favours. He looks lost at times and slow the other. I do wonder if we are seeing his last games here. Would be a bummer to end his way if so.
But Yamo, is playing his size. It feels as tho he’s pouting. Hope I’m wrong, but that’s how it looks.
He bright side, this kinda bones the Flambé.
Still, you can’t cough up a 2 goal lead in the 3rd however.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781234 is a reply to message #781228 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 20:14

Might be time to swap Bear for Bouchard. Sophomore Slump seems to be parked in his back pocket.
Nuge isn’t doing himself many favours. He looks lost at times and slow the other. I do wonder if we are seeing his last games here. Would be a bummer to end his way if so.
But Yamo, is playing his size. It feels as tho he’s pouting. Hope I’m wrong, but that’s how it looks.
He bright side, this kinda bones the Flambé.
Still, you can’t cough up a 2 goal lead in the 3rd however.

OIlers keep getting caught looking for the puck and ignoring the plays setting up around them. Losing their coverage is only going to get them burned. And easing up trying to protect a lead with 10 minutes left is a bad idea - keep control of the puck and keep the opposition defending against your forwards. I think there were three times that the Oilers dumped the puck into the Leafs' zone and turned around to trap, instead of keeping the puck and setting up their own attack. Killing off the end of the game is not a penalty kill situation where dumping the puck is the right play. They handed the game over to the Leafs' playmakers and rightly got burned.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781229 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Well that pissed me off. Between the brainfarts, the absolute fluke goals, and the brutal officials - I'm going to be grumpy tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781231 is a reply to message #781229 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 19:15

.. I'm going to be grumpy tonight.

2 goal lead and 3 unanswered goals against with 8 minutes to play will do that.. icon_nod

[Updated on: Sat, 27 March 2021 20:36]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781230 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Give us more of those sweet sweet loser points and we can coast into the playoffs

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781237 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I forget who would do this, but I remember reading someone’s postgame posts and they would always do a good, bad, ugly... I miss that. It was so good, such a great read. Here’s mine, which pales in comparison to those old posts by the mystery poster;

Good: McDrai and Barse(?Can I make Barrie-Nurse known as Barse a thing?)continue to produce together. Klassic Kassian hit on Tavares with about 2 to play in the 3rd, the hit got me amped. Schmiddy had a good game.

Bad: Bear seems to be having difficulties again... as good as he was last year, I’m starting to wonder how much of his success last year was contributed to being paired with Nurse. Obviously a downgrade playing majority of his time with Kowboy now, and with Nurse he didn’t have to be THE guy, but when Kowboy is carrying the pair you know the masses won’t be pleased with you. Leaves dominated the dot.

Ugly: The issue with putting McDrai together 5v5. Yes, they dominate. But having a 2nd line of Kahun-Nuge-Yam is too slow, small and just not good enough against a fast, hard checking team like the Leaves. And I truly don’t think swapping JP and Yam would make any difference to that second line. Bottom line, for me anyway, Nuge isnt a 2C. LW? Sure. If Nuge is on LW we need one more top 6 LW. If you’re not playing Nuge as a LW and instead playing Drai with McDavid, then you need a 2C and that 2LW.

Also, I’m 4 sheets to the wind. Accepted an offer on my house here today and am heading west in a week. LFG

[Updated on: Sat, 27 March 2021 22:22]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781238 is a reply to message #781237 ]
Sat, 27 March 2021 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 27 March 2021 22:20

I forget who would do this, but I remember reading someone’s postgame posts and they would always do a good, bad, ugly... I miss that. It was so good, such a great read. Here’s mine, which pales in comparison to those old posts by the mystery poster;

Good: McDrai and Barse(?Can I make Barrie-Nurse known as Barse a thing?)continue to produce together. Klassic Kassian hit on Tavares with about 2 to play in the 3rd, the hit got me amped. Schmiddy had a good game.

Bad: Bear seems to be having difficulties again... as good as he was last year, I’m starting to wonder how much of his success last year was contributed to being paired with Nurse. Obviously a downgrade playing majority of his time with Kowboy now, and with Nurse he didn’t have to be THE guy, but when Kowboy is carrying the pair you know the masses won’t be pleased with you. Leaves dominated the dot.

Ugly: The issue with putting McDrai together 5v5. Yes, they dominate. But having a 2nd line of Kahun-Nuge-Yam is too slow, small and just not good enough against a fast, hard checking team like the Leaves. And I truly don’t think swapping JP and Yam would make any difference to that second line. Bottom line, for me anyway, Nuge isnt a 2C. LW? Sure. If Nuge is on LW we need one more top 6 LW. If you’re not playing Nuge as a LW and instead playing Drai with McDavid, then you need a 2C and that 2LW.

Also, I’m 4 sheets to the wind. Accepted an offer on my house here today and am heading west in a week. LFG

I wouldn't have minded if in the 3rd with the 2 goal lead we shifted to McDrai on their own lines. Balance the attack, remove some of the weak link ice time. We had 1 line with a positive corsi % in that game, you can guess which. Nuge with 33%. He was struggling to create any pressure and I honestly thought he was trying hard, but he's just not a good top 6 C, he needs to play with guys better than him. So, we just kept it going until we broke. 3 lines that can't do crap against good teams most nights...it's too many.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781243 is a reply to message #781190 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

They play that same game over 10 times in a row and we’d be hard pressed to lose once more. Skate deflection/puck bouncing on and over Smith’s head.

May as well get these bad beats out before the playoffs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781244 is a reply to message #781243 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 28 March 2021 08:38

They play that same game over 10 times in a row and we’d be hard pressed to lose once more. Skate deflection/puck bouncing on and over Smith’s head.

Sure, bad luck on bounces. But aside from that top line, they sure didn’t generate much offensively.

Nuge is not a 2C.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781245 is a reply to message #781244 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 28 March 2021 08:54

Sure, bad luck on bounces. But aside from that top line, they sure didn’t generate much offensively.

Nuge is not a 2C.

From the first shift on you could see that line being dominated. I think I said in the GDT thread that they could use some size on that line. Kassian was looking good all night and should’ve taken Kahun’s spot. That or adjust the lines when we were up 3-1 to split up Draisaitl and McDavid.

Bad bounces and poor line management cost us two points.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781246 is a reply to message #781245 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 28 March 2021 09:56

Nuge is not a 2C.

From the first shift on you could see that line being dominated. I think I said in the GDT thread that they could use some size on that line. Kassian was looking good all night and should’ve taken Kahun’s spot. That or adjust the lines when we were up 3-1 to split up Draisaitl and McDavid.

Smith made some huge saves too, and Leafs hit multiple posts too to kinda cancel out the lucky bounces they got.

High danger chances were 7 to 2 at 5v5 for the Laffs. Nuge was on for 5 of those against. Drai 2, McDavid 1. I think Drai got 1 at 1:15 into a shift when he couldn't get his change.

Not sure Kassian is close to enough to elevate a Nuge centered line. Need a player that can consistently drive offense for the line. Kassian is a giveaway machine most nights. Probably need to trade for Hall and pray he can turn his season around :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781251 is a reply to message #781246 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 28 March 2021 10:16

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 28 March 2021 09:56

Nuge is not a 2C.

Smith made some huge saves too, and Leafs hit multiple posts too to kinda cancel out the lucky bounces they got.

High danger chances were 7 to 2 at 5v5 for the Laffs. Nuge was on for 5 of those against. Drai 2, McDavid 1. I think Drai got 1 at 1:15 into a shift when he couldn't get his change.

Not sure Kassian is close to enough to elevate a Nuge centered line. Need a player that can consistently drive offense for the line. Kassian is a giveaway machine most nights. Probably need to trade for Hall and pray he can turn his season around :)

Hall? Never heard of him. Glendening is where it’s at, we need him!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781252 is a reply to message #781244 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Nuge is not a 2C.

No size element on that 2nd line to expect to play a cycle or a puck control game in the offensive zone. It doesn't work on any line. That's why you have to have a guy like Kass, LD or JP playing with Connor even with Connor creating so many rush opportunities, so I don't know how anyone expected the 2nd line the way it was constructed to dominate in the offensive zone. The goals against were defensive breakdowns.

Given that the team has the top 2 centers in the league, Nuge isn't the best option for 2C on this team. On most teams he is, on some he might still even be an option at 1C. I'd like to see some continuity in the top 6 now that Yams is back. I think everyone would benefit.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #781255 is a reply to message #781252 ]
Sun, 28 March 2021 16:04 Go to previous message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 28 March 2021 14:12

Nuge is not a 2C.

No size element on that 2nd line to expect to play a cycle or a puck control game in the offensive zone. It doesn't work on any line. That's why you have to have a guy like Kass, LD or JP playing with Connor even with Connor creating so many rush opportunities, so I don't know how anyone expected the 2nd line the way it was constructed to dominate in the offensive zone. The goals against were defensive breakdowns.

Given that the team has the top 2 centers in the league, Nuge isn't the best option for 2C on this team. On most teams he is, on some he might still even be an option at 1C. I'd like to see some continuity in the top 6 now that Yams is back. I think everyone would benefit.

It seems like the big question for the Oil top two lines is: do you keep Drai and Connor together for more offensive bursts, or do you keep them separate on lines for the sake of better game management? The team did seem to play well for most of last night when managing the game and just taking their chances when they came along. Unfortunately, they couldn't maintain that throughout the entirety of regulation, but I wonder if it is because Drai and Connor were kept together throughout the 3rd when perhaps it might have been better to put them back onto separate lines so that the Oil could have kept the puck away from the Laffs' forwards more effectively.

This is the kind of thing that the team needs to figure out before playoffs, because it's always going to come down to a consistent effort throughout 60 or possibly more minutes.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Previous Topic:Montreal series postponed
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca