This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779802 is a reply to message #779799 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 11:40

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 10:30

Smith gave them a free goal. I appreciate how his puck handling can be an asset sometimes but I wish he would dial it back a little. I can't figure out what he was trying to do on that goal. He totally crossed up his dman with whatever the hell he was doing and it cost them. Overall, it wasn't his best game.

McD did not have a good game. Just too many bad giveaways and he knows it. Missed several wide open shots. Hit the net man!!

Bear struggled a lot. Maybe it's the dreaded sophomore jinx but he is a shadow of the player he was last year. It's not just the concussion, he wasn't good before.

Neal sure has had the wheels fall off. If you are only going to put out a guy like him 7 mins, time to play someone else.

Lagesson had a rare off game.

Nuge. I don't know if maybe the contact is really bothering him but he's nothing like the player I am used to seeing. He's never been a line driver but 5 on 5, he's just not good at all this year and lately only marginally better on the PP. He got set up by Leon on a point blank, middle of the slot, as premium of a scoring chance as you get on the 1 and only PP and couldn't even hit the net. 5 on 5, it's next to nothing. He was -3. On the 4th goal, he sort of tried to check the guy but didn't go after him, kind of tried to block it but didn't really and in the process screened Smith. Smith reaction as he looked at Nuge said he screened him. Either take the man, commit to the block or get the hell out of the way. He didn't do all 3.

The reffing the last few games, just god awful. I don't like to blame refs too much but just call the damn penalties. Both ways. Guys getting tripped, held, thrown to the ground. McD just gets mauled. Fans want to see speed and skill. No one wants to watch hockey where the unskilled players and excel because the refs let them cheat.

For next game, I would put Kahun back in there for Neal no matter what the injury situation is. I would reunite the DRY line, not for the team but for Nuge. You can't have a guy playing 20 mins a night being almost a blackhole 5 on 5.

If Khaira is in:

Ennis/Kahun - McD - JP
Nuge - Leon - Yamo
Shore - Khaira - Arch
Kahun/Ennis - Haas - Chiasson

If Khaira is out:
Ennis/Kahun - McD - JP
Nuge - Leon - Yamo
Ennis/Kahum - Shore - Arch
Nygard - Haas - Chiasson

Smith - I do not believe that Tippett is going to tell Smith to stop that. He actually criticized the defence for not helping - although on the replay you can see that they are doing what Smith wants when he goes out to play the puck, looping out to give him passing lanes. The only thing you could say on that maybe is that they should have waited to make sure that he actually was going to get the puck first. Spector was banging the drum to protect Smith last night - for whatever reason, he seems to be the guy that everyone around the organization seems always hesitant to put any blame on, and who they're always in a hurry to praise when things do go well. It makes me really nervous that the team does believe that he can be the guy to take them in to the playoffs...it'll be painful if we give up assets for a run and don't get a goalie as part of the return, but I can definitely see it happening.

Saw someone post on twitter that Bear's PDO currently is 91%. That is extremely bad luck. It means that any mistake right now is ending up in the net, which amplifies things. I don't think he's playing as well as he did last year yet - he may still be hampered by whatever injury he had earlier this season, or he may just be a young defenceman with some growing pains. I do think that Oilers fans (not so much in here, but definitely on twitter) need to put away the pitchforks for young defencemen and stop expecting perfection - especially from puck-movers, who because they're moving the puck up ice more, and more likely to have times when they have a turnover. I think that's one of the reasons that people always love the young tough defenceman who just hammers it off the glass - it still cedes possession, but it looks more intentional. A stretch pass that gets intercepted is more dramatic and looks like a bigger mistake, even if the result is pretty much the same either way and the stretch pass can lead to a successful transition to offence, where off-the-glass-and-out just sets up another attack from the opposition 90% of the time.

I'm not worried about Neal and Chiasson's line not getting icetime yesterday. When down a couple goals, Tippett was playing the top two lines a lot more. There was one stretch last night where the shifts were 1-2-1-2-3-1. The guys at the bottom of the lineup were getting less time because Tippett felt his best chance to catch up was to play the top guys more. On top of that, with Khaira injured, the team was running short-handed on forward anyhow.
That almost always will reduce 4th line time since someone from the top lines is double shifting anyhow. I don't have any issue with that. No matter who we have on that fourth line last night they weren't going to get a lot of third period icetime since we were behind for all but 90 seconds.

I heard the Tippett comment about the dman not helping Smith ion the goal and it had me a bit baffled as well. To me a goalie needs to stay in his area. They used to have that box around the goal and behind. If you want to play the puck, stay in the damn box. Smith was just about in the corner when he half plays it then he just stops and leaves it for I don't know who. If Smith leaves the puck alone, Laggesson who would have been first to it, would have just had to chip it behind the goal to a waiting Larsson and it's out of the zone. You can physically see Lagesson see Smith going to the puck so he slows up, changes where he is going and heads to the boards to give Smith a target to pass too. If the dman sees your puck playing goalie going to get a puck and he doesn't ever just stop it, why would the dman think to skate to the goalie to stand beside him?

So I don't get Tippet blaming his dman on that. It's basically him sticking up for his boy Smith to try to justify a stupid play.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779808 is a reply to message #779799 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Saw someone post on twitter that Bear's PDO currently is 91%. That is extremely bad luck. It means that any mistake right now is ending up in the net, which amplifies things. I don't think he's playing as well as he did last year yet - he may still be hampered by whatever injury he had earlier this season, or he may just be a young defenceman with some growing pains.

His injury was a concussion, no? From taking that puck to the side of the head while on the bench. Would give ammunition to those thinking his problems are between the ears.

I’ve had 6 concussions. I get teased by wife about certain mental gafs. It’s a real thing.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779809 is a reply to message #779808 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 13:40

Saw someone post on twitter that Bear's PDO currently is 91%. That is extremely bad luck. It means that any mistake right now is ending up in the net, which amplifies things. I don't think he's playing as well as he did last year yet - he may still be hampered by whatever injury he had earlier this season, or he may just be a young defenceman with some growing pains.

His injury was a concussion, no? From taking that puck to the side of the head while on the bench. Would give ammunition to those thinking his problems are between the ears.

I’ve had 6 concussions. I get teased by wife about certain mental gafs. It’s a real thing.

He was playing not overly well before the concussion.

I don't really buy into he's just unlucky this year. If a puck goes off your butt and in, is it just bad luck or is it bad luck because you are out of position? I kind of think part of his bad luck is making bad choices or being out of position then something happens.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779811 is a reply to message #779809 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 14:02

I don't really buy into he's just unlucky this year. If a puck goes off your butt and in, is it just bad luck or is it bad luck because you are out of position? I kind of think part of his bad luck is making bad choices or being out of position then something happens.

Shooting percentages tend to even out over time. If your PDO is 91%, it means that the other team is having tremendously high percentage of their shots going in while you're on the ice, or your team is having tremendously few of their shots going in while you're on, or both. Often NHL teams make bad decisions based on PDO anomalies like this - deciding a player is better or worse than he is based on something that is likely more a good or bad run than an actual indication of their play.

There's a danger the Oilers do that here with Bear, especially if they're concerned about a logjam of RH defenceman and with some hope that they can deal for some additional help from a position of strength. That would be short-sighted, since they don't have Barrie under contract past this year and Bear's contract is very affordable at the moment. He isn't on top of his game, but he's looking artificially worse due to shooting percentages, so it's not the best time to sell.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779817 is a reply to message #779811 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 14:24

Shooting percentages tend to even out over time. If your PDO is 91%, it means that the other team is having tremendously high percentage of their shots going in while you're on the ice, or your team is having tremendously few of their shots going in while you're on, or both. Often NHL teams make bad decisions based on PDO anomalies like this - deciding a player is better or worse than he is based on something that is likely more a good or bad run than an actual indication of their play.

There's a danger the Oilers do that here with Bear, especially if they're concerned about a logjam of RH defenceman and with some hope that they can deal for some additional help from a position of strength. That would be short-sighted, since they don't have Barrie under contract past this year and Bear's contract is very affordable at the moment. He isn't on top of his game, but he's looking artificially worse due to shooting percentages, so it's not the best time to sell.

That PDO is, I assume, inflated due to the amount of times he flees the dzone leaving behind an odd man rush.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779829 is a reply to message #779817 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 14:51

That PDO is, I assume, inflated due to the amount of times he flees the dzone leaving behind an odd man rush.

Disclaimer: Not presenting this as absolute truth.

David Staples' (yes, THE David Staples, please try to contain your excitement) scoring chance analysis is interesting:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwipOHwVgAIiLtr?format=png&name=small

A lot of these results do line up with what I view most players to be contributing. Except Bear's results are kind of striking. Or maybe not. He certainly has played a part in a lot of bad breakdowns in our end this year. I would consider him pretty uninvolved offensively this year as well. It's been a struggle, no doubt. Hope he gets it back together.

Saw Tippett say that the reason no D were there when McDavid's giveaway happened was because Bear's skate blade was broken and he was trying to rush off. Yeah, been that kind of year for Bear.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 March 2021 15:33]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779832 is a reply to message #779829 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:30

David Staples' (yes, THE David Staples, please try to contain your excitement) scoring chance analysis is interesting:

A lot of these results do line up with what I view most players to be contributing. Except Bear's results are kind of striking. Or maybe not. He certainly has played a part in a lot of bad breakdowns in our end this year. I would consider him pretty uninvolved offensively this year as well. It's been a struggle, no doubt. Hope he gets it back together.

Saw Tippett say that the reason no D were there when McDavid's giveaway happened was because Bear's skate blade was broken and he was trying to rush off. Yeah, been that kind of year for Bear.

I could be totally wrong but I don't know if I see Bear as being a dman who will ever score a lot. With Barrie now, Bouchard in the future and even Nurse, he probably won't ever get PP time and 5 on 5, I don't see him as overly offensive dman. He had 21 pts in 71 games last year. I could see him setting into that, maybe get up to 30 pts but not much higher. I don't think he is a good enough skater to be rushing the puck nor do I see him jumping into holes to get fed the puck for a goal like Barrie or Nurse so.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779834 is a reply to message #779832 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:36

I could be totally wrong but I don't know if I see Bear as being a dman who will ever score a lot. With Barrie now, Bouchard in the future and even Nurse, he probably won't ever get PP time and 5 on 5, I don't see him as overly offensive dman. He had 21 pts in 71 games last year. I could see him setting into that, maybe get up to 30 pts but not much higher. I don't think he is a good enough skater to be rushing the puck nor do I see him jumping into holes to get fed the puck for a goal like Barrie or Nurse so.

Here is last year's Bear Staples stats (the bottom half):

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Dmen.GrA_.2019.2021.25g.png?quality=90&strip=all&w=564&type=webp

Guess on the defensive side similar, but the other way he was helping out more. I remember a guy last year that was able to make lots of good little plays in his own end to get a pass off to start the breakout. I'm not sure what the threshold is for D contributing to good chances, but maybe that counts if it leads to a great chance on a rush. I don't think he is making the same kinds of plays this year, and that was his big value last year. He did a lot of the passing for Nurse on that pair, when there wasn't an opportunity for Nurse to skate the puck out.

I guess comparing that top half to the more current stats, Bear hasn't made a single play to help create a chance since March 5th, hehe.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 March 2021 15:46]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779836 is a reply to message #779834 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:43

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Dmen.GrA_.2019.2021.25g.png?quality=90&strip=all&w=564&type=webp

Guess on the defensive side similar, but the other way he was helping out more. I remember a guy last year that was able to make lots of good little plays in his own end to get a pass off to start the breakout. I'm not sure what the threshold is for D contributing to good chances, but maybe that counts if it leads to a great chance on a rush. I don't think he is making the same kinds of plays this year, and that was his big value last year. He did a lot of the passing for Nurse on that pair, when there wasn't an opportunity for Nurse to skate the puck out.

I guess comparing that top half to the more current stats, Bear hasn't made a single play to help create a chance since March 5th, hehe.

Staples analysis is so flawed. I remember this being a lively point of conflict when ol' Mudcrutch was lighting up twitter with long flame wars. This analysis isn't particularly useful when it relies on A) a single person's subjective views as to what is and isn't a mistake - especially someone with as unreliable an opinion as David Staples, and B) such a weird skew between forwards and defence. Clearly, Staples believes there's critical defenceman errors on almost every goal against - so they get much higher results on that side of the puck.

Mistakes and contributions aren't well defined - he was giving a the same mark for a player standing in front of the goal and providing a partial screen as he was for actually shooting the puck in the net. I have no idea what he constitutes as a mistake or how minor those need be to be counted.

I believe he's also only counting stats when they are related to a goal, which means that the vast majority of the time on ice isn't being tracked here and major flaws or great plays are ignored because they don't end up in the back of the net, while on a long shot that goes in, despite being a terrible chance, he's still potentially counting errors that are almost meaningless.

Staples numbers are the worst fancy stat ever. +/- is more telling.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779837 is a reply to message #779834 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 16:00 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:43

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:36

I think Bear will be a player who relies heavily on reading the play well, positionally and making subtle plays to get himself out of trouble. When those things are off which is like we see this season, he's going to have a hard time. He doesn't have the skating speed or size to make up for mistakes.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779833 is a reply to message #779829 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Sorry, you lost me as I saw Jesse Puljujarvi’s numbers and Im now searching for my pants

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779818 is a reply to message #779736 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Haven't seen anything anywhere about the Khaira hit, and any potential player safety review. I thought for sure they would be setting an example on this one, ya know, because Oilers?

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779819 is a reply to message #779818 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

jds308 wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:01

Haven't seen anything anywhere about the Khaira hit, and any potential player safety review. I thought for sure they would be setting an example on this one, ya know, because Oilers?

Think Parros took the fight as ‘he’s paid his dues’

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779820 is a reply to message #779736 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Schmiddy gets the nets tomorrow 💪🏼 Confirmed by team

https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers/status/137192257512781414 6?s=21

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779823 is a reply to message #779820 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:09

If that was Koskinen last night, he wouldn't get a start for 2 weeks after that game. "Battler" Smith gets a chance to redeem himself. icon_rolleyes

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779826 is a reply to message #779823 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:15

If that was Koskinen last night, he wouldn't get a start for 2 weeks after that game. "Battler" Smith gets a chance to redeem himself. icon_rolleyes

Assume Kosk get Thursday after the long drive to Winnipeg. You know, since they don’t even have an airport. 😏

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779827 is a reply to message #779826 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:20

Assume Kosk get Thursday after the long drive to Winnipeg. You know, since they don’t even have an airport. 😏

I still don't get this joke, especially being from Edmonton... a city that is not equipped to throw shade about airport locations.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779828 is a reply to message #779827 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:24

I still don't get this joke, especially being from Edmonton... a city that is not equipped to throw shade about airport locations.

Hey the Edmonton sprawl is getting out there, just ask the Devon area/Leduc county folks who are now privileged to pay for Edmonton's unused cash sucking LRT, bike lanes, and all those other righteous Edmonton endeavors.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31) [message #779831 is a reply to message #779827 ]
Tue, 16 March 2021 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 15:24

It all started, I believe, when the Jets brought in Stastny who had been with St Louis prior and some blogger referenced the Jets travel schedule and amount of travel time over the rest of the central teams, so Blues fans assumed there was no airport in Winnipeg or something.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #32)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca