This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779476]
Sat, 13 March 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Vancouver to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779483 is a reply to message #779476 ]
Sat, 13 March 2021 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Goalie win for Van. Demko with some big stops and didnt get the more routine one from Koski. Not sure how the ref had sight of the 1st Van goal, or how a stick actually pushed it in. I thought the Oil had the bigger chances.

The next game is huge, and Koskinen will NOT be the starter.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779488 is a reply to message #779483 ]
Sat, 13 March 2021 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I said it in the game thread, but they just seemed to be in third gear all night. Effective, without being productive. I don't think anyone really had a poor game, don't think anyone had a great game either. I guess coming off the back of a game the night before and then some travel, it's not something they've got to used to this season. So let's put it down to that and move on.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779489 is a reply to message #779483 ]
Sat, 13 March 2021 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 13 March 2021 22:43

Goalie win for Van. Demko with some big stops and didnt get the more routine one from Koski. Not sure how the ref had sight of the 1st Van goal, or how a stick actually pushed it in. I thought the Oil had the bigger chances.

I think Koskinen should have had the second one, but he's not really to blame for the loss. Just one of those nights where the team deserved better. Demko had an out of body experience and channeled his last year's playoffs for an evening.

Interesting stat I saw from Bruce McCurdy today - since Smith's return, save percentage for Koskinen has been the same as Smith's. Won't be any worse after tonight. While Seravalli is nominating Smith for the Vezina, it's worth remembering he's had 7 of his 11 starts against non-playoff teams.

I am terrified that the Oilers management can't see this and just figures that Smith really worked on his craft and he's now a Vezina calibre goalie and they don't need help in the crease.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779494 is a reply to message #779489 ]
Sun, 14 March 2021 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Perhaps they're trying to keep his stats high to offload him?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779502 is a reply to message #779489 ]
Sun, 14 March 2021 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 13 March 2021 23:53

I think Koskinen should have had the second one, but he's not really to blame for the loss. Just one of those nights where the team deserved better. Demko had an out of body experience and channeled his last year's playoffs for an evening.

Interesting stat I saw from Bruce McCurdy today - since Smith's return, save percentage for Koskinen has been the same as Smith's. Won't be any worse after tonight. While Seravalli is nominating Smith for the Vezina, it's worth remembering he's had 7 of his 11 starts against non-playoff teams.

I am terrified that the Oilers management can't see this and just figures that Smith really worked on his craft and he's now a Vezina calibre goalie and they don't need help in the crease.

I don't think anyone is saying Smith should be the LT starter, and even the Oilers are not that deluded. My take is that he has completely filled the role as backup. Ideally we'd see a prospect there legitimately with upside to take the starter position, last time that happened it of course was rushed and mishandled with a failure of a lineup in front of the guy, and he didn't really perform until he left to a D first team.

Shouldn't have to lean on Smith as the backup this hard. I'm hoping that the Oilers don't see themselves as set with Smith because their starter that they signed as such is unable to deliver. The Oilers don't really make the glaring errors game after game any more on D and general zone coverage that always end up in the net, they need to be able to win the close games. Goaltending is the priority, Smith is great I think for 30% of the load but not 60 to 80%. Improve on the starter and get a guy that won't really give a reason to give Smith more than the odd sniff.

There's GSAx that shows Smith at 6.9, 3rd in the league, an Koski at -5.4. Koskininen is a bit better at stopping high danger chances. The Oilers need to end a debate between their paid starter and the nearly 40 backup, probably by upgrading at starter.

If Demko had an out of body experience, that's a goalie win.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779505 is a reply to message #779502 ]
Sun, 14 March 2021 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 14 March 2021 14:33

Adam wrote on Sat, 13 March 2021 23:53

I don't think anyone is saying Smith should be the LT starter, and even the Oilers are not that deluded. My take is that he has completely filled the role as backup. Ideally we'd see a prospect there legitimately with upside to take the starter position, last time that happened it of course was rushed and mishandled with a failure of a lineup in front of the guy, and he didn't really perform until he left to a D first team.

Shouldn't have to lean on Smith as the backup this hard. I'm hoping that the Oilers don't see themselves as set with Smith because their starter that they signed as such is unable to deliver. The Oilers don't really make the glaring errors game after game any more on D and general zone coverage that always end up in the net, they need to be able to win the close games. Goaltending is the priority, Smith is great I think for 30% of the load but not 60 to 80%. Improve on the starter and get a guy that won't really give a reason to give Smith more than the odd sniff.

There's GSAx that shows Smith at 6.9, 3rd in the league, an Koski at -5.4. Koskininen is a bit better at stopping high danger chances. The Oilers need to end a debate between their paid starter and the nearly 40 backup, probably by upgrading at starter.

If Demko had an out of body experience, that's a goalie win.

Yep - I was agreeing with you on Demko.

I do think that Koskinen's worst starts were almost all earlier in the season (although the one against Toronto was pretty terrible, and that if you look at him since Smith came back, there isn't a huge difference there.

I hope you're right and the Oilers understand that they can't count on Mike Smith...but I have no faith in management to realize that. They've been fooled by a strong performance over a short period many times before and they have a bad tendency to double down when a signing has been particularly criticized.

I think the worst case scenario for the team is that we make a significant trade and give away assets for a rental defenceman or forward for the playoff run, standing pat in goal, and then having goaltending bomb and see the team exit early. I think it is a real possibility.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779492 is a reply to message #779476 ]
Sun, 14 March 2021 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

They ran out of gas, and ran into a goalie who played an out of body game. Happens.
Hoping a Nuge figures out how to C a line and to not overthink on the pp. Need the dude and right now he isn’t doing himself many favours
The NHL really has to take a look at its officiating. I don’t know what it’s like in the States, but damn it’s bad up here.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779493 is a reply to message #779476 ]
Sun, 14 March 2021 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Time to go back to Leon and Connor driving their own lines?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30) [message #779514 is a reply to message #779493 ]
Mon, 15 March 2021 09:18 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I really thought winning this game would be pretty tough. Back to back. Canucks had been sitting at home waiting. They were playing decent and their goalie Demko was lights out.

I was fairly happy with the effort. I thought the Oilers had the better chances and Demko was excellent. The Canucks blocked a TON of shots. The first Canucks goal I don't really know what to say. I've never seen a goal like that. There were 7 guys and a goalie in the crease. The refs keeps yelling it's loose. If you watch the replay, both Horvat and Pearson are literally pushing the pile to get the players over the line. Eventually they pushed the players far enough that the puck went over the line. I've seen refs whistle the play dead where the puck is laying on the ice wide up and you can see it from the blue line. This guy lets it go on for almost 30 seconds with 8 players in the crease, pucks under guys arms, legs, asses. I guess so?

A couple of breakdowns on the Canucks second goal. Myers was allowed to be wide open at the top of the circle to walk in an lean into it. He has a bomb and he places it probably exactly where it had to go to score. He could see it but there were players all around Koskinen to be a distraction. It goes far side, top corner, blocker side. If an Oiler scored that exact goal, we'd all be saying what a fantastic shot that was. I don't blame the goalie on that one. It was on hell of a shot and I think a player had to miss his shot a little for the goalie to save it as that's a extremely difficult save to make.

I am not blaming this on the refs but they didn't do any favors either. I described the baffling goal. A couple of times I saw McD dragged to the ice. There was 1 replay where the Canuck basically did a football tackle of him.

I thought the Oilers deserved to get a point from that one.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2021 09:29]

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #31)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #30)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca