This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778481 is a reply to message #778479 ]
Thu, 04 March 2021 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 04 March 2021 09:06

A team won't win every game if their top 3 isn't firing, but they should be able to win some of them. Even against superior teams there are other way to win hockey games. A goalie could steal one. A player the caliber of Jimmy Vessey could go off and out score the opponent ('s combined goal total over a three game series). The defense could grind out a tough 2-1 affair. Where's the Oilers' Jimmy Vessey? Where's the Scrivezina shut out? Where's the shut down line controlling a game and winning by sheer force of will?

The problem is now as it has always been. This team doesn't have goaltending or defense. If McDavid and Draisaitl can't beat the other team AND the Chiarelli / Holland duo of shame the team is sunk.

You are right, teams need their depth guys to chip in from time to time and on occasion win a game or 2 for the big boys. I have a hard time believing any team can win a lot of games when your top guy put up zeros 3 games in a row.

Leafs big 3 because Matthews wasn't there - Marner, Tavares, Nylander - had 4 pts a piece so 12 pts. Oilers big 3 had 2 pts. I don't see any teams having that much depth scoring that they can have their best 3 guys be out scored by that much.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778480 is a reply to message #778475 ]
Thu, 04 March 2021 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I thought the defense wasn't great but I thought Bear and Jones looked extremely bad on 4 goals.

First goal was lucky. Spezza throws a blind pass towards the goal. The Leaf in front tried to tip. If he does, Smith was waiting to make the stop. But he 3/4 misses it and it goes out the side to Vessey who just came off the bench due to a change. No one picked him up but I don't think people would expect him to be there.

2nd goal I fault to Bear. Puck fired in. Oilers making a change. Forwards side of the bench is closest to the Leafs end. Puck fired up the ice to the left side of Oilers zone, Nurse takes his man like he has too. The winger tips the puck to the center where there is NO DMAN. Nygard and Haas forwards who have to skate farther to get back were racing back to cover. The dmen are the ones supposed to be back, not forwards. Where the hell is Bear? Simpson even commented on how late Bear was getting on the ice from a change. Move your ass, get on the ice. The dman shouldn't be the last guy in the zone ever.

3rd goal I fault to Bear. Leafs win the draw. Thornton immediately goes to the net and forces Nurse to take him. Nurse is tied up with Thornton clearing him out. Shot comes in, rebound comes out sitting in the slot. Bear is there doing twirls, Tavares fires it in. I don't know what Bear was doing but it wasn't covering anyone.

4th goal. Bear sort of had position for a second or 2 but he wasn't really tying him up or battling him and as a result, the Leafs player pushes Bear back as if he wasn't even there. Nurse goes over to cover because his partner can't handle the Leaf, pass goes off Smith into the slot where Leon is standing there covering no one. Nurse should have not bothered to try to help Bear but I get it, hard not to do. Leon needs to take a look and be aware of who's around. Bear needs to be a hell of a lot harder on that play. He got pushed off with ease.

5th goal is on Jones. I don't know what Jones was doing. Nylander had barely got over the blueline and Jones was going down. I know the coach mentioned you need to commit to more shot blocking but come on.

6th goal I hated and is on Larsson. Shot comes through, he can see it coming. Pick up the freaking man who's standing in front of the goal. Why are you letting a guy just stand there to jam it it.

To Adam who will disagree with me on Bear because he did last night. I watched ever single replay of the goals before writing each comment. Go watch them yourself, it's all there.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778478 is a reply to message #778473 ]
Thu, 04 March 2021 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 04 March 2021 07:18

Are these media folk actually upset at Leon for his response to a stupid question?

Tchykowski “Speaking of not good enough, your top players didn’t produce much of anything in this series. Does it add to the frustration that you guys really didnt hold up your end of the bargain?”

Leon, “No, we love that. We love going without a point in three days, for sure. It’s great.”

Good response. Not take that frustration and mop the floor with Calgary Saturday

Imagine spending years working your way up through the highly desirable world of sports journalism and the best questions they can come up with are variations of "Are you happy or sad you lost today?"

I don't understand why they waste airtime on these.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778547 is a reply to message #778426 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson
Ennis/Nygard-Turris-P. Russell

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

DRY line is no more. Scored, but we still lost.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778548 is a reply to message #778547 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 12:34

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

Coupled with Schmiddy, the Oilers clear #1 seemingly getting the start again.

And Ennis being pulled in favour of Shore?

And Jones/Bear being sat?

Happy to see Wild Bill back

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778550 is a reply to message #778548 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 11:38

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

Coupled with Schmiddy, the Oilers clear #1 seemingly getting the start again.

And Ennis being pulled in favour of Shore?

And Jones/Bear being sat?

Happy to see Wild Bill back

I am not a fan of starting Smith. I thought Tippett did extremely well in handling the goalies last year. He's not this year. They need 2 guys going as both guys are not capable of playing long stretches in a row. He's not doing that. Koskinen has barely played since Smith came back and I do not think it's fair to expect him to sit for long, long stretches, then give him a spot start with the expectation he will be lights out.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778549 is a reply to message #778547 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 11:34

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

I am prepared to see fans and bloggers throwing themselves around about the DRY line not lasting. I am of the opinion that before the 3 losses to the Leafs, they had an effective top 6 that lead them to an 11-2 record and being the top scoring team in the league. You can take Nuge away from McD but you are leaving who I deem basically a rookie because the JP that is here today is a different player and he is just figuring out how to establish himself in the league. So in my opinion, you better be sure the DRY line can absolutely shoot the lights out to make up for the potential loss production for McD because you diluted his line to overly stack another.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778551 is a reply to message #778549 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 11:41

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

I am prepared to see fans and bloggers throwing themselves around about the DRY line not lasting. I am of the opinion that before the 3 losses to the Leafs, they had an effective top 6 that lead them to an 11-2 record and being the top scoring team in the league. You can take Nuge away from McD but you are leaving who I deem basically a rookie because the JP that is here today is a different player and he is just figuring out how to establish himself in the league. So in my opinion, you better be sure the DRY line can absolutely shoot the lights out to make up for the potential loss production for McD because you diluted his line to overly stack another.

I wonder if there's any historical evidence of McDavid elevating otherwise average linemates? Boyd Gordon was a perennial all-star but even he saw a boost.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778553 is a reply to message #778549 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

What does Drai get now in comparison? A guy younger than Pulju, and Kahun who is still super new to the NHL.

I don't even feel that Nuge is that good of a fit with McDavid either. He hasn't produced much all year with McDavid. The analytics are good, but I don't think Nuge is that big of a driver of anything with McDavid. He's always slow to join rushes. Pulju is up with McDavid far more often.

Just some Nuge stats this year:

With McDavid 306 minutes 5v5: 3-3-6
With Drai 34 minutes: 2-1-3

I don't think McDavid really needs Nuge that much. Only arguement would be on the defensive side, but I don't think Nuge is that great defensively either.

IMO Nuge has to play with guys that maintain OZ possession and slow things down, giving him time to play a sneakier game, finding soft areas, being able to take passes off the boards and get shots off. The rush game is not really his thing. And the rush is a massive part of McDavid's game.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 March 2021 12:06]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778555 is a reply to message #778553 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 13:04

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

What does Drai get now in comparison? A guy younger than Pulju, and Kahun who is still super new to the NHL.

I don't even feel that Nuge is that good of a fit with McDavid either. He hasn't produced much all year with McDavid. The analytics are good, but I don't think Nuge is that big of a driver of anything with McDavid. He's always slow to join rushes. Pulju is up with McDavid far more often.

I don't think McDavid really needs Nuge that much. Only arguement would be on the defensive side, but I don't think Nuge is that great defensively either.

IMO Nuge has to play with guys that maintain OZ possession and slow things down, giving him time to play a sneakier game, finding soft areas, being able to take passes off the boards and get shots off. The rush game is not really his thing. And the rush is a massive part of McDavid's game.

Holloway-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Nugent Hopkins-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson

LFG

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778557 is a reply to message #778553 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 12:04

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

The lines were scoring before the Leafs. They went 11-2. People are acting like Leon is playing with a bunch of AHLers. His main partner is Yamo who might be a few months different in age but he is far more established than JP. He's got 16 goals, 37 pts in 52 games. I am really not counting his previous parts of 3 seasons because he didn't do anything. He has 9 pts in 24 games. He's doing well the last month but you are giving McD basically a rookie as his main side kick. Then you have Kahun who Leon has played all kinds of international games with, had lots of success with on the international stage and who he trains and practices with in the offseason. If Kahun had any luck, he'd have several more goals.

I am not against having Nuge with Leon and Yamo, all I am saying is in my opinion, if you are going to triple stack a line like that, they better grossly out produce to compensate diluting other lines.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778559 is a reply to message #778557 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 12:25

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

The lines were scoring before the Leafs. They went 11-2. People are acting like Leon is playing with a bunch of AHLers. His main partner is Yamo who might be a few months different in age but he is far more established than JP. He's got 16 goals, 37 pts in 52 games. I am really not counting his previous parts of 3 seasons because he didn't do anything. He has 9 pts in 24 games. He's doing well the last month but you are giving McD basically a rookie as his main side kick. Then you have Kahun who Leon has played all kinds of international games with, had lots of success with on the international stage and who he trains and practices with in the offseason. If Kahun had any luck, he'd have several more goals.

I am not against having Nuge with Leon and Yamo, all I am saying is in my opinion, if you are going to triple stack a line like that, they better grossly out produce to compensate diluting other lines.

They won largely because they shored up the defensive side and goalies started to play like NHL goalies as well. Both Drai and McDavid cooled off during our run of winning games compared to when they were blowing the doors off early in the year while we were losing. Lots of the turnaround had to do with the PP clicking too.

It's all a small sample size. There is a point where things will balance out and we need to find the combos that give the most consistency. And find the right combos for the players to fit their strenghts. Personally, I don't think we're doing that yet. McDavid's line still just depends on him going end to end and, if you want to get in on the action, the wingers better find a way to keep up. Drai's line hugely depends on him too of course. Yams has taken a bit of a step back this year. Kahun is OK, but not really that important of a piece on that line.

The only line we've seen in the last 2 years on this team where it actually looked like all 3 guys were consistently contributing to the lines success was the DRY line IMO. I think McDavid would do about the same without Nuge too.

I don't even remember who McDavid played with when DRY was put together last season. He scored just as many 5v5 points as Drai though since Jan 1st 2020. Neal, Archibald, Chiasson, Kassian, AA, Nygard, Ennis, and so on. Still put up points with all those guys. He really does not need Nuge, and Nuge is just not that good at producing with McDavid 5v5.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 March 2021 12:41]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778566 is a reply to message #778559 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

They won largely because they shored up the defensive side and goalies started to play like NHL goalies as well. Both Drai and McDavid cooled off during our run of winning games compared to when they were blowing the doors off early in the year while we were losing. Lots of the turnaround had to do with the PP clicking too.

It's all a small sample size. There is a point where things will balance out and we need to find the combos that give the most consistency. And find the right combos for the players to fit their strenghts. Personally, I don't think we're doing that yet. McDavid's line still just depends on him going end to end and, if you want to get in on the action, the wingers better find a way to keep up. Drai's line hugely depends on him too of course. Yams has taken a bit of a step back this year. Kahun is OK, but not really that important of a piece on that line.

The only line we've seen in the last 2 years on this team where it actually looked like all 3 guys were consistently contributing to the lines success was the DRY line IMO. I think McDavid would do about the same without Nuge too.

I don't even remember who McDavid played with when DRY was put together last season. He scored just as many 5v5 points as Drai though since Jan 1st 2020. Neal, Archibald, Chiasson, Kassian, AA, Nygard, Ennis, and so on. Still put up points with all those guys.

The Oilers were 11-2 and the #1 scoring team in the league before the Leafs series. McD has 40 pts in 25 games. That's a 131 pt pace in 82 games. He had 22 of his 40 pts 5 on 5. Leon has 35 pts in 25 games. That is a 115 pt pace. 21 of his pts were 5 on 5. So almost identical to McD's.

So I am puzzled why people want to break up those lines that are putting up pretty fantastic numbers. How much more scoring do people want from these guys? Those 2 didn't piss a drop of offense in 3 games and they are still 1 & 2 in the league in scoring, McD still with a 5 pt lead. If 5 on 5 they aren't scoring at all, then I could see it. But that isn't the case for both lines.

So what's the goal here? Is it to maybe prop up Nuge's numbers more to make people feel better? Team wise, I see them breaking up 2 functioning, scoring lines that helped them go 11-2 and be #1 in the league in scoring and the only reason they lost those 2 games was their goaltending was poor. They scored 4 against Calgary and lost and scored 5 against the Jets and lost. If they got any kind of goaltending at all in those 2 games, they would have went 13-0. So if you are telling me they can improve offensively as a team and get better results with Nuge on Leon's line. I don't see how.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778570 is a reply to message #778566 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 12:56

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

I don't even remember who McDavid played with when DRY was put together last season. He scored just as many 5v5 points as Drai though since Jan 1st 2020. Neal, Archibald, Chiasson, Kassian, AA, Nygard, Ennis, and so on. Still put up points with all those guys.

The Oilers were 11-2 and the #1 scoring team in the league before the Leafs series. McD has 40 pts in 25 games. That's a 131 pt pace in 82 games. He had 22 of his 40 pts 5 on 5. Leon has 35 pts in 25 games. That is a 115 pt pace. 21 of his pts were 5 on 5. So almost identical to McD's.

So I am puzzled why people want to break up those lines that are putting up pretty fantastic numbers. How much more scoring do people want from these guys? Those 2 didn't piss a drop of offense in 3 games and they are still 1 & 2 in the league in scoring, McD still with a 5 pt lead. If 5 on 5 they aren't scoring at all, then I could see it. But that isn't the case for both lines.

So what's the goal here? Is it to maybe prop up Nuge's numbers more to make people feel better? Team wise, I see them breaking up 2 functioning, scoring lines that helped them go 11-2 and be #1 in the league in scoring and the only reason they lost those 2 games was their goaltending was poor. They scored 4 against Calgary and lost and scored 5 against the Jets and lost. If they got any kind of goaltending at all in those 2 games, they would have went 13-0. So if you are telling me they can improve offensively as a team and get better results with Nuge on Leon's line. I don't see how.

Just think you're giving too much credit to the top 2 line combos for the wins. They actually scored less than when we were losing earlier in the year. The wins came because of more depth scoring, better PP production and better defensive play/goaltending. All unfortunately things that come and go very quickly with this team.

Thinking the top 2 lines are perfect because other transient factors all aligning to save the day I think is not a great conclusion. There is still room for improvement with the top 2 lines, and when the depth scoring, defensive play, and goaltending are no longer perfectly aligned, we need every ounce of advantage we can muster from our top 6 to get over the hump.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778577 is a reply to message #778570 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 13:02

Just think you're giving too much credit to the top 2 line combos for the wins. They actually scored less than when we were losing earlier in the year. The wins came because of more depth scoring, better PP production and better defensive play/goaltending. All unfortunately things that come and go very quickly with this team.

Thinking the top 2 lines are perfect because other transient factors all aligning to save the day I think is not a great conclusion. There is still room for improvement with the top 2 lines, and when the depth scoring, defensive play, and goaltending are no longer perfectly aligned, we need every ounce of advantage we can muster from our top 6 to get over the hump.

And when things don't appear to be working for a time, sometimes you need to change things up. I think the coach needs to do a better job with that - especially in-game, because I think match-ups and utilization of players could be part of that, but sometimes even just a change of scenery for linemates can make a difference.

I wouldn't go back to Neal again though with McDavid. He is not fleet enough now.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778586 is a reply to message #778566 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

My thought without a dissertation is that Tippet saw that both lines had dried up and not scoring against Toronto. LD hasn't scored in quite a few games. Tippett went back to an old line combo from last year for one frigging game to get the 2nd line going, to get anything goong. I don't get the angst over this, I don't think the masses cam be certain about any line combos if they're coming up empty in big games.

As far as RNH stats, he banged the only goal in 3 against the Leafs, and was at 19 in 22 games prior to the Leafs series. He sits at 33rd in the league in points, Tip must have wanted those stats padded for sure.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778588 is a reply to message #778586 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 14:45

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

My thought without a dissertation is that Tippet saw that both lines had dried up and not scoring against Toronto. LD hasn't scored in quite a few games. Tippett went back to an old line combo from last year for one frigging game to get the 2nd line going, to get anything goong. I don't get the angst over this, I don't think the masses cam be certain about any line combos if they're coming up empty in big games.

As far as RNH stats, he banged the only goal in 3 against the Leafs, and was at 19 in 22 games prior to the Leafs series. He sits at 33rd in the league in points, Tip must have wanted those stats padded for sure.

Nuge is definitely rocking it on the PP. 12 points so far there.

Makes how he's having a career worst performance with 5v5 scoring more confusing. Well, 2nd worst. His worst was when he played with 1 working shoulder in 12/13.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778596 is a reply to message #778588 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 14:52

Makes how he's having a career worst performance with 5v5 scoring more confusing. Well, 2nd worst. His worst was when he played with 1 working shoulder in 12/13.

Agree with all the above. Nothing was working in the Toronto series so made sense to make changes. I would have liked to see more adjustments, frankly.

It is odd that Nuge hasn't produced more 5v5. He's got to be behind Puljujarvi for 5v5 production this year, especially with McDavid. That seems really odd, because you'd expect him to get points almost by osmosis playing with the league's top player. Some of that is luck - their on-ice save percentage against was stupid high early in the year - but maybe it's just not a great fit, and maybe Nuge defers a little too much and covers back a little too much when on the ice with McDavid?

It would be great if he can get rolling with Draisaitl, and if he can get Yamamoto scoring again.

I did see that the lowly Canucks beat the Leafs last night, so that isn't a completely impenetrable suit of armour...they scored three times as much against them as we did in the whole series.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778599 is a reply to message #778596 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 17:29 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 17:15

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 14:52

Agree with all the above. Nothing was working in the Toronto series so made sense to make changes. I would have liked to see more adjustments, frankly.

It is odd that Nuge hasn't produced more 5v5. He's got to be behind Puljujarvi for 5v5 production this year, especially with McDavid. That seems really odd, because you'd expect him to get points almost by osmosis playing with the league's top player. Some of that is luck - their on-ice save percentage against was stupid high early in the year - but maybe it's just not a great fit, and maybe Nuge defers a little too much and covers back a little too much when on the ice with McDavid?

It would be great if he can get rolling with Draisaitl, and if he can get Yamamoto scoring again.

I did see that the lowly Canucks beat the Leafs last night, so that isn't a completely impenetrable suit of armour...they scored three times as much against them as we did in the whole series.

I suppose we don't have a world-beater on our team on the level of Virtanen though :)

Maybe we should be more forgiving. If we were going to look at this through the analytics lens with no emotion, I guess the smart thing to do would be to keep putting Nuge out there with McDavid. The stats say they "should" be scoring more. So it should just be a matter of time. This is the best xGF% season of McDavid's career so far, but also his lowest on ice GF/60 rate of his career and right on the edge of his worst GF% season. Some ice time with Drai has kept him just over 50%, while his Nuge time is 44%.

Really running out of runway for the regression to mean hockey gods to pay Tippett back though.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 March 2021 17:36]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778567 is a reply to message #778559 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

I don't even remember who McDavid played with when DRY was put together last season. He scored just as many 5v5 points as Drai though since Jan 1st 2020. Neal, Archibald, Chiasson, Kassian, AA, Nygard, Ennis, and so on. Still put up points with all those guys. He really does not need Nuge, and Nuge is just not that good at producing with McDavid 5v5.

Just to add to this. Here is Nuge's 5v5 production with McDavid and Drai:

Nuge with Drai 599 minutes - 3.5 Points/60
Nuge with McDavid 748 minutes - 1.68 Points/60

goals stats for combos last 3 seasons:

Nuge+Drai without McDavid: 554 Minutes - 4.01 GF/60, 2.49 GA/60 - 61.67 GF% - 53.52 xGF%
Nuge+McDavid without Drai: 703 Minutes - 2.39 GF/60, 2.82 GA/60 - 45.90 GF% - 51.75 xGF%
McDavid without Nuge/Drai: 723 Minutes - 2.9 GF/60, 3.32 GA/60 - 46.67 GF% - 48.78 xGF%

With the tiny sample sizes this year, McDavid+Nuge is 44.44% goals for 5v5 in 303 minutes. Leon+Nuge in just the small 31 minutes is 60%.

McDavid without either is obviously full of having to play with some real turds. You would obviously need to figure out decent linemates that you can stick with for a while. Creating a more consistent 2nd line at the cost of McDavid having to earn his 12.5M a little more and likely get similar results anyways... I don't mind it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778578 is a reply to message #778567 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 12:58

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

Nuge+Drai without McDavid: 554 Minutes - 4.01 GF/60, 2.49 GA/60 - 61.67 GF% - 53.52 xGF%
Nuge+McDavid without Drai: 703 Minutes - 2.39 GF/60, 2.82 GA/60 - 45.90 GF% - 51.75 xGF%
McDavid without Nuge/Drai: 723 Minutes - 2.9 GF/60, 3.32 GA/60 - 46.67 GF% - 48.78 xGF%

With the tiny sample sizes this year, McDavid+Nuge is 44.44% goals for 5v5 in 303 minutes. Leon+Nuge in just the small 31 minutes is 60%.

McDavid without either is obviously full of having to play with some real turds. You would obviously need to figure out decent linemates that you can stick with for a while. Creating a more consistent 2nd line at the cost of McDavid having to earn his 12.5M a little more and likely get similar results anyways... I don't mind it.

I wish there was a way to factor in how many wide open looks from McD Nuge fired wide, over the net or into the mid section of the goalie this season into that pts/60 stat.

The DRY line also had Yamo scoring 26 pts in 27 games last year. Do you or I expect Yamo to be a pt a game player for his career? If he is, that would be amazing because that means he's an elite level player. I think Yamo is going to be a good top 6 player but he's not going to be elite. So did Yamo being on an insane heater help those pts/60 numbers? I'd say so.

Anyway, I will let it go. The line last year was fantastic. Do I think they could put up those numbers again? Not a chance. I think it was a good line, that went on an incredible run. But could they maybe do it again, while I doubt it, it's possible. Would I get upset if they put it together, no I wouldn't. All I care about is putting together the best line up and win as many games as they can. If you want to post pts/60 or whatever most likely unsustainable stat you want, have it it. I just look at the record they had prior to the Leafs series and they were beating teams for fun and should have went 13-0 but were 11-2 while scoring goals in bunches. No it wasn't just McD and Leon's line doing it. They won in all kinds of ways. They did it with scoring from the top 6, bottom 6, defense scoring, good defense, sometimes the goalie stood on his head. To me that is what good teams do and what you want. They beat you in all kinds of ways. It's not just 1 line doing it all and the rest just out there to give that line a breather.

So in my mind, I don't know why you'd want to change up the lines from a team that went 11-2. Yes they had 3 bad games against the Leafs. I watched all 3 games and I do not think having Nuge with Leon and Yamo all of a sudden flips the script. The Leafs grossly out played the Oilers in every aspect. They got way better goaltending, they had way, way, more compete and clearly wanted to win those games way more than the Oilers. They kicked the Oilers ass. They put that line together for 1 game and I know it's not a totally fair assessment based on 1 game but while that line was just OK, there was nothing about that game that made me say "Oh wow, that was the missing link for this series. " They kicked the Oilers ass in game 1 and they kicked the Oilers ass as bad or more the last game.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778584 is a reply to message #778578 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 13:40

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 12:58

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

I wish there was a way to factor in how many wide open looks from McD Nuge fired wide, over the net or into the mid section of the goalie this season into that pts/60 stat.

The DRY line also had Yamo scoring 26 pts in 27 games last year. Do you or I expect Yamo to be a pt a game player for his career? If he is, that would be amazing because that means he's an elite level player. I think Yamo is going to be a good top 6 player but he's not going to be elite. So did Yamo being on an insane heater help those pts/60 numbers? I'd say so.

Anyway, I will let it go. The line last year was fantastic. Do I think they could put up those numbers again? Not a chance. I think it was a good line, that went on an incredible run. But could they maybe do it again, while I doubt it, it's possible. Would I get upset if they put it together, no I wouldn't. All I care about is putting together the best line up and win as many games as they can. If you want to post pts/60 or whatever most likely unsustainable stat you want, have it it. I just look at the record they had prior to the Leafs series and they were beating teams for fun and should have went 13-0 but were 11-2 while scoring goals in bunches. No it wasn't just McD and Leon's line doing it. They won in all kinds of ways. They did it with scoring from the top 6, bottom 6, defense scoring, good defense, sometimes the goalie stood on his head. To me that is what good teams do and what you want. They beat you in all kinds of ways. It's not just 1 line doing it all and the rest just out there to give that line a breather.

So in my mind, I don't know why you'd want to change up the lines from a team that went 11-2. Yes they had 3 bad games against the Leafs. I watched all 3 games and I do not think having Nuge with Leon and Yamo all of a sudden flips the script. The Leafs grossly out played the Oilers in every aspect. They got way better goaltending, they had way, way, more compete and clearly wanted to win those games way more than the Oilers. They kicked the Oilers ass. They put that line together for 1 game and I know it's not a totally fair assessment based on 1 game but while that line was just OK, there was nothing about that game that made me say "Oh wow, that was the missing link for this series. " They kicked the Oilers ass in game 1 and they kicked the Oilers ass as bad or more the last game.

I am inclined to think it's the coaches (and managers) job to always know what it working and what isn't, even if the overall results have been good lately. Lots of teams get hot now and then or get a run of luck. That's not a reason for a coach to just ignore stuff that hasn't been working that well through the run and think the good times will last forever. Could argue we did that, leading to 3 stinkers in a row. Thank goodness for getting to play Ottawa a lot or we could be around .500 right now. We have some room, but it can still get away from us in a hurry if we keep thinking everything was perfect and didn't need any improvement 2 weeks ago.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778552 is a reply to message #778547 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald
Neal-Haas-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

Smith
Koskinen

The line needed to produce more. It was a game where they should have scored 5 goals at minimum if they wanted the win. Can't have passengers.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778554 is a reply to message #778547 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2021 10:34

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard
Jones-Bear

All healthy D and Lagesson/Russell manage to make the lineup.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #25) [message #778593 is a reply to message #778554 ]
Fri, 05 March 2021 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I like Willy. Russell? Not so much.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Walter Gretzky passes away at age 82
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #22)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca