This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777459 is a reply to message #777454 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 12:19

JPro wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 10:52

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 10:19

Roussel's game is falling off a cliff so guess no surprise he's just running around like an idiot now trying to find ways to be noticed.

NHL Player Safety @NHLPlayerSafety
Vancouver’s Antoine Roussel has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Roughing Edmonton’s Jesse Puljujarvi.

RNH...what a bro. Get that extension signed already.

Hopefully Roussel dresses next game, the score gets out of reach, and someone takes care of business there. This is 2 incidents I count where people have gone after JP virtually unprovoked, one of these times he's going to lose it and fight back.

The problem is, the Oilers don't have anyone to address that right now. I sure don't want Nurse beating the hell out of him. He's WAY, way too important to the Oilers and the Canucks take that trade off all day long. The guy that should do it is Kassian and he's not there. Khaira sort of can but I don't think he's a great fighter and doesn't do it unless he absolutely has too.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777462 is a reply to message #777459 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 12:29

The problem is, the Oilers don't have anyone to address that right now. I sure don't want Nurse beating the hell out of him. He's WAY, way too important to the Oilers and the Canucks take that trade off all day long. The guy that should do it is Kassian and he's not there. Khaira sort of can but I don't think he's a great fighter and doesn't do it unless he absolutely has too.

Is Roussel much of a fighter? He's no heavyweight, so he wouldn't be squaring off with Kassian anyhow. I always thought of him as more of a pest.

If he's getting thin-skinned though, maybe rather than trying to engage, you just bait him all night and see if you can get him to take more stupid penalties.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777465 is a reply to message #777462 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 12:55

Is Roussel much of a fighter? He's no heavyweight, so he wouldn't be squaring off with Kassian anyhow. I always thought of him as more of a pest.

If he's getting thin-skinned though, maybe rather than trying to engage, you just bait him all night and see if you can get him to take more stupid penalties.

I am not cool when guys pop other guys in the nose for nothing and think it needs to be addressed so it doesn't happen again. Catch him the wrong way, you break his nose then he's out for awhile.

If you think baiting a guy like that while he potentially takes out one of your players is the way to go, then too each their own I guess.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777468 is a reply to message #777465 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 12:59

I am not cool when guys pop other guys in the nose for nothing and think it needs to be addressed so it doesn't happen again. Catch him the wrong way, you break his nose then he's out for awhile.

If you think baiting a guy like that while he potentially takes out one of your players is the way to go, then too each their own I guess.

I was always a bit of a pest in hockey myself, and enjoyed people taking stupid penalties because they're a little mad at me. I care more about winning than I ever do about settle scores.

And when there has been really bad things happen, I don't think squaring up is always the best way to handle it anyhow. It's a 50/50 event which can result in another one of your guys getting hurt - think Souray evening the score with Iginla and putting himself out for months more.

While I think you have to be careful comparing beer league or minor league hockey to the pro game, I'll tell a story - I had a game several years ago where there was a guy running around and acting like a clown. At the end of the period, I skated over to him and told him that he needed to cut that out, or it would end badly. He said mockingly "or what, you'll try to fight me?" and I told him very calmly that I would not fight him - I'd just hurt him. He behaved the rest of the game. Now, I'm not the most imposing guy in the world - no one is mistaking me for Dave Brown - I haven't ever intentionally hurt anyone in hockey and honestly, I was most likely bluffing. It was an effective message because I was telling him that there might not be an even chance for him to defend himself. I haven't ever intentionally hurt anyone in hockey and honestly, I was most likely bluffing. But I still think it was much more effective than it would have been to just ask for a fight.

The days where everyone answered the bell are long gone. Even when they did, it was never actually much of a deterrent. People were still going to take their pops when they had a chance and not Semenko, nor Brown, nor Laraque nor anyone else ever really stopped that from happening - it just gave a little catharsis after the fact.

You have to find better ways of punishing teams. A killer powerplay is a big deterrent and if that's not enough target the player, or one of his more skilled teammates and take a piece of him for the entire night. Think of what happened with Brandon Manning after he chirped McDavid. He was likely black and blue after that game - it wasn't about fighting him (although the Oilers did that too), it was about punishing him every chance they got. So if we feel the need for revenge - label him all night long. I'm hesitant to do that at this point in the season though in an important game. If we get a bunch of penalties because we're running around after Dominic Roussel and drop a game we should win, that could impact where we land this year. I'd prefer to just see if we can get him to take dumb penalties and take advantage.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777478 is a reply to message #777468 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 16:31

I was always a bit of a pest in hockey myself

You? No! NOT POSSIBLE. I won't believe it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777482 is a reply to message #777478 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 14:06

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 16:31

I was always a bit of a pest in hockey myself

You? No! NOT POSSIBLE. I won't believe it.

IT does explain a lot. icon_lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777481 is a reply to message #777468 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 13:31

I was always a bit of a pest in hockey myself, and enjoyed people taking stupid penalties because they're a little mad at me. I care more about winning than I ever do about settle scores.

And when there has been really bad things happen, I don't think squaring up is always the best way to handle it anyhow. It's a 50/50 event which can result in another one of your guys getting hurt - think Souray evening the score with Iginla and putting himself out for months more.

While I think you have to be careful comparing beer league or minor league hockey to the pro game, I'll tell a story - I had a game several years ago where there was a guy running around and acting like a clown. At the end of the period, I skated over to him and told him that he needed to cut that out, or it would end badly. He said mockingly "or what, you'll try to fight me?" and I told him very calmly that I would not fight him - I'd just hurt him. He behaved the rest of the game. Now, I'm not the most imposing guy in the world - no one is mistaking me for Dave Brown - I haven't ever intentionally hurt anyone in hockey and honestly, I was most likely bluffing. It was an effective message because I was telling him that there might not be an even chance for him to defend himself. I haven't ever intentionally hurt anyone in hockey and honestly, I was most likely bluffing. But I still think it was much more effective than it would have been to just ask for a fight.

The days where everyone answered the bell are long gone. Even when they did, it was never actually much of a deterrent. People were still going to take their pops when they had a chance and not Semenko, nor Brown, nor Laraque nor anyone else ever really stopped that from happening - it just gave a little catharsis after the fact.

You have to find better ways of punishing teams. A killer powerplay is a big deterrent and if that's not enough target the player, or one of his more skilled teammates and take a piece of him for the entire night. Think of what happened with Brandon Manning after he chirped McDavid. He was likely black and blue after that game - it wasn't about fighting him (although the Oilers did that too), it was about punishing him every chance they got. So if we feel the need for revenge - label him all night long. I'm hesitant to do that at this point in the season though in an important game. If we get a bunch of penalties because we're running around after Dominic Roussel and drop a game we should win, that could impact where we land this year. I'd prefer to just see if we can get him to take dumb penalties and take advantage.

I wish I could have bet someone some money that you would bring up the old "a killer PP is a deterrent" bs.

The Oilers have a great PP, it was #1 in the league last year at over 29% and is #9 this year at 26%. It's a weird year with teams all over the map in games played, other teams missing guys being out with covid, etc. So there are a bunch of teams who's PP's are inflated. Dallas as an example is at 32.7% but they have only played 13 games compared to the Oilers 21. Regardless, the Oiles have a lethal PP and it didn't stop Rousell from popping JP in the face. I am glad it wasn't McD or Leon because if one of those guys took a punch the wrong way and broke their nose, the Oilers would be in trouble. So having a great PP did F all to stop Roussel.

Whenever someone brings up the old "killer PP" BS, a lot of times they reference the Wings when they were in their hay day beating everyone with their PP. The Wings were a highly skilled team who didn't dress a traditional goon and who "killed teams with their PP as a deterrent". They also had a bunch of guys in their bottom 6 who weren't goons but were tough. Draper was tough and would scrap. Maltby was scrappy. They had Darren McCarty for YEARS doing the Kassian role who would beat the crap out of anyone who got close to Datsyuk even with their lethal "deterrent" PP.

So you can disagree with me all you want but a guy like Roussel didn't give a crap about the Oilers lethal PP when he suckered JP. I bet he would if Kassian was on the ice looking to beat the hell out of him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777483 is a reply to message #777481 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 14:09

I wish I could have bet someone some money that you would bring up the old "a killer PP is a deterrent" bs.

The Oilers have a great PP, it was #1 in the league last year at over 29% and is #9 this year at 26%. It's a weird year with teams all over the map in games played, other teams missing guys being out with covid, etc. So there are a bunch of teams who's PP's are inflated. Dallas as an example is at 32.7% but they have only played 13 games compared to the Oilers 21. Regardless, the Oiles have a lethal PP and it didn't stop Rousell from popping JP in the face. I am glad it wasn't McD or Leon because if one of those guys took a punch the wrong way and broke their nose, the Oilers would be in trouble. So having a great PP did F all to stop Roussel.

Whenever someone brings up the old "killer PP" BS, a lot of times they reference the Wings when they were in their hay day beating everyone with their PP. The Wings were a highly skilled team who didn't dress a traditional goon and who "killed teams with their PP as a deterrent". They also had a bunch of guys in their bottom 6 who weren't goons but were tough. Draper was tough and would scrap. Maltby was scrappy. They had Darren McCarty for YEARS doing the Kassian role who would beat the crap out of anyone who got close to Datsyuk even with their lethal "deterrent" PP.

So you can disagree with me all you want but a guy like Roussel didn't give a crap about the Oilers lethal PP when he suckered JP. I bet he would if Kassian was on the ice looking to beat the hell out of him.

Guys are going to me more afraid of losing their team a game than they are about getting asked to fight. In most cases, they won't accept the fight, and if your guy throws down and feeds them, then he's the one risking suspension and putting the game on the line.

People will always still do some illegal things. It's part of the game. Sometimes people will hurt your players no matter what. But the only thing you can do that really, really makes them think twice is if you make it count on the scoreboard.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777486 is a reply to message #777468 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Has Tkachuk been effective against the Oilers since he turtled against Kassian? Probably not. Sometimes these guys need to be exposed and humiliated.

Come to think of it, Kassian hasn't really been effective since then either. LOL.

Roussel will probably take some abuse anyway. Maybe Petersson should too. I think if the game's out of reach, something overtly bad happening to Roussel would be ok. It'd be worth a $5k fine since that's the bar set by Parros icon_rolleyes . Dare to dream.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777487 is a reply to message #777486 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 15:08 Go to previous message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 14:46

Has Tkachuk been effective against the Oilers since he turtled against Kassian? Probably not. Sometimes these guys need to be exposed and humiliated.

Come to think of it, Kassian hasn't really been effective since then either. LOL.

Roussel will probably take some abuse anyway. Maybe Petersson should too. I think if the game's out of reach, something overtly bad happening to Roussel would be ok. It'd be worth a $5k fine since that's the bar set by Parros icon_rolleyes . Dare to dream.

I thought Tkachuk was possibly their best player on the weekend (44+ mins, 0-1-1, 10 shots, 8 hits). Definitely spent a lot of time holding on to and harassing McDavid and Draisaitl (which is very annoying not to see called - is there any other sports league on the planet where they are so happy to ignore flagrant offences against the game's star players?) I don't get the sense that he's scared - although I think his team may be tired with the drama around that player and it may be causing some issues - similarly to how the Canucks got with Burrows and Kesler after a while.

It can be really effective to play that way, but it gets exhausting and if you go through any significant downturn, it's easy to see that person as more of a sideshow.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 February 2021 15:10]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777464 is a reply to message #777454 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 12:19

JPro wrote on Wed, 24 February 2021 10:52

Roussel's game is falling off a cliff so guess no surprise he's just running around like an idiot now trying to find ways to be noticed.

Vancouver’s Antoine Roussel has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Roughing Edmonton’s Jesse Puljujarvi.

RNH...what a bro. Get that extension signed already.

Hopefully Roussel dresses next game, the score gets out of reach, and someone takes care of business there. This is 2 incidents I count where people have gone after JP virtually unprovoked, one of these times he's going to lose it and fight back.

I bet Matty has a theory. People remembering the disrespect of him wearing 98

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21) [message #777453 is a reply to message #777439 ]
Wed, 24 February 2021 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Did not see that, how is that only 2 minutes? He's always been an assclown.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #22)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca