This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777177 is a reply to message #777138 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 21 February 2021 02:36

I told all you non-believers that things weren't that bad.

Habs, Jets. and Oilers now in a virtual tie with Calgary 2.5 games back (and facing the Leafs next) and Nucks and Ottawa way in the distance.

This is the mistake that some people around here make - they think that criticism of the Oilers stems from the team being hopeless. That is no longer the case. The team has the top two scorers in the league and a few other nice pieces.

The team SHOULD be a Cup contender. They aren't because management hasn't addressed a couple of glaring holes, the most obvious being goaltender. Can we win games with Koskinen and Smith? Yes. Can we make the playoffs? Likely - there's two awful teams in the division and only 7 teams, so we only need to beat out one other team to get there and again, we have two of the best players in the world.

But it's hard to see this as a Championship team with the goaltending as it is, and any year we're not pushing deep in the playoffs now is a failure. McDavid and Draisaitl are only in their prime for a relatively short window, and so it isn't enough now just to make the playoffs and make an early exit. This team needs to be winning playoff rounds, and if bad goaltending trips us up again, it's a massive fail.

I'm thrilled we swept the Flames and are in a decent spot currently, with a chance to make up real ground on the 1st place Leafs next week. But I can't just stick my head in the sand and pretend there aren't real flaws to this team, or that those flaws aren't likely to hold back the team from realizing its potential.

I hope that the management is focused on that and are looking at finding a solution, but I don't have a lot of faith in management, given the last two decades of work out of them. I think that's pretty fair too.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777200 is a reply to message #777138 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 21 February 2021 02:36

I told all you non-believers that things weren't that bad.

Habs, Jets. and Oilers now in a virtual tie with Calgary 2.5 games back (and facing the Leafs next) and Nucks and Ottawa way in the distance.

It's always great to beat the Flames and then to read their fan forums to see the blazing infernos (pun not intended) that result from such games. However, the main thing that we as fans want to see or should want to see is the team taking turns raising the Stanley Cup over their heads while they skate their victory laps.

The consensus is that they are not going to get very far in the playoffs (assuming they make it in) unless their defence and goaltending show consistently good play (the key word being "consistent", as opposed to being the Jekyll and Hyde Show that we have seen this year). "Defence wins championships" is not just some word salad that someone pulled out of their ass.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777145 is a reply to message #777088 ]
Sun, 21 February 2021 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

5 Cups

Slater koekkoek posted a pic of an X-ray, broken collarbone. He gone. 😒

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777161 is a reply to message #777145 ]
Sun, 21 February 2021 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Really good game and I love how they won both. They beat the Lames in a tight checking, lock it down, not give up much game. Then they blow them out.

I thought Koskinen played really well but there was a lot of shots from long range where any goalie should stop them 100% of the time and I didn't think he was called upon to make that many 10 bell saves. I thought Debrusk was a bit overly kind to the Lames when he praised their effort level based on the amount of shots they had. To me it looked like the Lames took Koskinen's game last Saturday as the norm and just went in with the mindset to throw everything on net and see what happens because it worked last time. When Koskinen isn't exhausted, while not elite, he's a a decent goalie who won't let in multiple crap goals a night.

I thought the defence core played very well. Nurse was excellent and to me showing he's an extremely good dman.

I thought the Bennet hit on Koekkoek was flat out dirty.

Leon needs to shoot more. He passed up multiple golden chances.

Nice to see Nuge finally going. He had many, many, many prime sets ups from McD prior to the last couple and now they are finally going it.

Lames are not a good team. They are a mediocre team with a good goalie who won them some games on his own. I think the money they spent on Markstrom should have been spent on improving their depth because if you look at their lower lines, they are like what the Oilers have been icing prior to this season. The only difference is their elite players are not even close to as good as the Oilers to compensate. The Lames are extremely weak down the middle and in my opinion, if 2 of your best forwards are Monahan and Gaudreau, you won't win a lot.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777168 is a reply to message #777088 ]
Sun, 21 February 2021 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
Hearing Yamamoto has no serious injury. Could be good to go for Tuesday. Was precautionary and some soreness to have him sit out rest of game. #Oilers

icon_thumbsup

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777172 is a reply to message #777168 ]
Sun, 21 February 2021 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 21 February 2021 16:52

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
Hearing Yamamoto has no serious injury. Could be good to go for Tuesday. Was precautionary and some soreness to have him sit out rest of game. #Oilers

icon_thumbsup

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Š

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777173 is a reply to message #777088 ]
Sun, 21 February 2021 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Found this on Cult O'Hockey (good read).. Rhett Warner goes off on the Flames.. πŸ”₯πŸ”₯🏠πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

hmm.. a lot a talk about the room being bad.. sounds like they need a new interior decorator... lol :)

GOLD!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1362440948966248448

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777174 is a reply to message #777173 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 21 February 2021 23:25

Found this on Cult O'Hockey (good read).. Rhett Warner goes off on the Flames.. πŸ”₯πŸ”₯🏠πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

hmm.. a lot a talk about the room being bad.. sounds like they need a new interior decorator... lol :)

GOLD!!

Ya, that was before they got swept by the Oilers.

Apparently, some guys are not happy about having to clean up messes that the Turtle creates.

They get to try their luck against the Leafs starting tomorrow.

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777175 is a reply to message #777173 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm is currently online Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 22 February 2021 00:25

GOLD!!

Amazing.

Maybe that’s where all the β€˜some people want me gone’ talk that Tkurtle was spouting off about Saturday pregame that had all my Flames fan friends spinning their heads.

Also, a broken room? But. Lucic... and veteran leadership.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777193 is a reply to message #777173 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

GOLD!!

Saw this on hf:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/attachments/upload_2021-2-22_12-20-52-png.399198/

hehe. The Tkachuk stuff can be good when your team is consistently winning and he's out there frustrating the other team. It's pretty lame though on a losing team. Same kinda stuff Kadri always had to go through with the Laffs. When your team isn't very good and you have this guy that's always running around being an idiot. Can turn into a bad distraction for your own team instead of being a tool against the opposition.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 February 2021 13:03]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20) [message #777203 is a reply to message #777193 ]
Mon, 22 February 2021 14:31 Go to previous message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 February 2021 13:00

GOLD!!

Saw this on hf:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/attachments/upload_2021-2-22_12-20-52-png.399198/

hehe. The Tkachuk stuff can be good when your team is consistently winning and he's out there frustrating the other team. It's pretty lame though on a losing team. Same kinda stuff Kadri always had to go through with the Laffs. When your team isn't very good and you have this guy that's always running around being an idiot. Can turn into a bad distraction for your own team instead of being a tool against the opposition.

I hear ya. Marchand isn’t a dbag all the time. He picks his spots and doesn’t get drawn into these explosive episodes.

Tkachuk is a great player and a great agitator. He just needs to pick his spots better.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #21)
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca