This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775314 is a reply to message #775313 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 07 February 2021 00:56

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 07 February 2021 00:48

Maybe ..

Nurse Bear #1
Barrie (Lagesson/Larsson)
Bouchard KooKoo

Putting Jones in there instead of Lagesson/Larsson likely gives you your Top-6.

Nurse / Bear
Jones / Barrie
Koekkoek / Bouchard

Don't know if Tippet has it in him to sit both Russell and Larsson though.

Yeah I guess I'm in the minority, I don't really see Jones being that exceptional, not great wheels, lacks the physicality required to break up cycles, gain position in front of the net, or retrieve pucks, but the worse thing is he doesn't appear to be very puck smart.. he consistently tries things his brother would do, but.. he's not his brother.

I think Nurse Bear are an ok combo, and that Bouchard and KooKoo are complimentary, but its the 3rd pair that I'd struggle with deciding, who'd do less damage? Maybe you keep Barrie for PP duty, then decide one of Larsson, Lagesson, KRussel.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 February 2021 02:45]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775317 is a reply to message #775306 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 February 2021 00:18

Saw some weakness in Bouch's game tonight I think. He got lost quite a few times in his end. Not sure I like the pairing with Russell.

I don't see Russell as a guy that can cover a partner that well. He's not a guy that shuts down plays. He's a guy that is constantly in a defensive posture waiting for the other team to eventually take shots. Lots of cycles happen against Russell. He needs a partner that will play a large role in shutting them down, and also take the primary role moving the puck. He is actually the guy that needs help from a better D.

I saw the same thing for Bouchard but I do wonder is he second guessing things or trying to do too much to cover for his partner because Russell wasn't good last night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775311 is a reply to message #775258 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Didnt watch the 3rd, but you need better than .787 from the starter. If he's at a sub-mediocre .892, the Oilers scored enough to win. Pretty bad.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775315 is a reply to message #775258 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Freaking Refs..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtmNOjmXEAAkhh3?format=jpg&name=small

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775316 is a reply to message #775315 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 07 February 2021 05:26

Freaking Refs..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtmNOjmXEAAkhh3?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah, how that was called on McDavid is beyond me.

And that call on JP? The kid wouldn’t hurt a fly yet gets penalized for a phantom hook on a rat?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775319 is a reply to message #775316 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I thought the Oilers should have won if they could have gotten any kind of goaltending.
1st goal it was a decent shot so hat tip for it but it was the first shot so I'd like a save there and I am not sure he totally cut the angle off properly.
2nd goal the pass either goes through him or off him to Lucic. A bit unlucky but if he's on his game at all, that probably doesn't happen.
3rd goals he saved it but couldn't find the rebound. I wasn't a fan of the goal because if you save it you are supposed to control the puck.
4th goal I didn't like. It would have been a decent save but again, puck hit him, he should have had it.
5th goal defensive zone breakdown, a bit of a breakaway, far corner, bar down. I'll give a pass on that one.
6th goal, bang bang play. Crappy defence.

S0 4 out of 6th I thought he needed a save or his shaky play lead to it. Maybe the worst game I have seen him play as an Oiler.

I thought JP was good and looks like he's fitting in on that line. The goal he scored is what I would hope can be. Big, strong, fast, just a bull with the puck. I am still not ready to say he's a full time top 6 yet but he is slowly making me a believer. Nice to see. Keep it going! Khaira that may have been his best game in years, I wonder if he finally got the wake up call. If Haas is back, I'd sit Turris for a reset and have Khaira in on the 4th line. I thought McD and Leon were just OK. Nuge was just OK but he needs McD going to be truly impactful. I didn't think any other forwards really stood out in a positive way. The defence as a unit was shaky.

As I said in my a different post, Bouchard had some mistakes but his partner was brutal so I wonder if his mistakes had to do with trying too much to make up for his partner. Keep playing him please! The 7 dmen needs to stop. I thought Lagesson was decent.

On the bright side. If I am the Flames, I am concerned. The Oilers goaltending was a pile of crap, their defence struggled yet even though your goalie stood on his head for most of the game, they still pumped 4 past you.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775334 is a reply to message #775258 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Sigh...I was hoping that we weren't going to have to wait for next season to improve (when we have cap room).

McDavid and Drai were awesome, but I am torn whether it is a good thing we have to play them so much or it is making everyone else on the team worse. When we play a team like the Flamers we have more top end talent, but they beat us with depth. Backlund had 7 shots from their 3rd line!

Ridiculous, but we're still in a playoff spot.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775336 is a reply to message #775258 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Is Bear our best D?

Nurse is not that good without his Bear. 62% xGF with him, 48% without.

Bruce McCurdy with some sweet shots of how Nurse/Barrie played together last game, lol

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Game-13-Nurse-Barrie-1.png

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/edmontonjournal/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Game-13-Nurse-Barrie-2.png

Nurse still gets so damn excited and loves to go chasing players and pucks damn near anywhere. Hope he figures that out one day.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 February 2021 20:55]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13) [message #775337 is a reply to message #775336 ]
Sun, 07 February 2021 21:14 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 07 February 2021 20:44

Is Bear our best D?

Nurse is not that good without his Bear. 62% xGF with him, 48% without.

Nurse still gets so damn excited and loves to go chasing players and pucks damn near anywhere. Hope he figures that out one day.

He had to learn how to keep up with Russell's quantum randomization style of play when they were together. Now he thinks it's the norm. I hope Nurse can get that style of play out of his system because I really think there's a great D-man inside there.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #14)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #13)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca