This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774046]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Toronto to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774048 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

A moral victory! Yay!

@#@$ my life as an Oilers fan.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774055 is a reply to message #774048 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

From hope came despair...... I guess that should be the motto of every Oilers fan.

Improved performance after that first period, but we can't keep taking the losses if we want to do anything this year. Bounces just not going our way at the moment, sooner rather than later someone will be on the end of the Oilers getting them bounces and we'll grab a big win.

However for now, I did think the Neal-Kassian line put in decent shifts tonight, JP needs a goal as much as the team needs to get the lucky breaks.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774061 is a reply to message #774055 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

I guess we really missed Klef this much. I can't believe how off this team feels this year.

It seems like most of the players have zero confidence and negative swagger. Yet again, this organization needs a purge and enema to try to cleanse itself of bad karma.

The hockey gods continue to laugh at this franchise.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774053 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

3-6-0. That's just not good.

Archibald an impressive -2 in just 8 minutes of work, plus he was in the penalty box for another goal against.

Koskinen 23 saves and 4 goals against - including pretty quick goals against both times we tied the game.

Man, I don't know what has to happen to turn things around for this team. It ain't looking good. We're over 15% of the season done. We need a winning streak just to get respectable again.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774058 is a reply to message #774053 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Floating to a second last place finish. Watch how when we play Ottawa we make them look world class.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774067 is a reply to message #774058 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travgwhite  is currently offline travgwhite

No Cups

I am going to get thrashed for this. I have a framed signed jersey and every version of his jersey. He is my favorite player. So to clarify I don't want to and hope we don't. But I'm curious what we could get if we traded McDavid with term left on his contract? What if we traded both McDavid and Draistl? Could we get a package we couldn't refuse like the Lindros trade that led to a Stanley cup? Thoughts

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774072 is a reply to message #774067 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

travgwhite wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 23:11

I am going to get thrashed for this. I have a framed signed jersey and every version of his jersey. He is my favorite player. So to clarify I don't want to and hope we don't. But I'm curious what we could get if we traded McDavid with term left on his contract? What if we traded both McDavid and Draistl? Could we get a package we couldn't refuse like the Lindros trade that led to a Stanley cup? Thoughts

Nope. The Lindros deal is unrepeatable in the salary cap age. You just can't get a full line worth of decent players and have them not be worth a fortune. It would be tough to make it work with the contract limit as well.

The Oilers can't win a McDavid trade. Best case scenario we get a couple of good but not great players, and that's just not enough. If you look at most of the superstar trades since the Lindros deal, they've been hugely underwhelming:

Wayne Gretzky
- to the St. Louis Blues for Patrice Tardif, Craig Johnson, Roman Vopat and 1st rd pick

Eric Lindros
- to New York Rangers for Jan Hlavac, Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl and 3rd rd pick

Jaromir Jagr
- to the Washington Capitals with Frank Kucera for Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk & Michal Sivek

Chris Pronger
- to the Edmonton Oilers for Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch, Jeff Woywitka
- to the Anaheim Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, two 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick
- to the Philadelphia Flyers with Ryan Dingle for Joffrey Lupul, Luca Sbisa, two 1st rd picks

You get the point here. A McDavid trade would see us get back a roster player or two plus prospects and picks. It would be devastating for the morale of the remaining team and the fanbase. Other players would ask to get out. It would be miserable.

We have the best player in the league and another guy who is top five. Just build around them for crying out loud. It isn't as hard as Oilers management always makes it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774074 is a reply to message #774072 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 23:22

Nope. The Lindros deal is unrepeatable in the salary cap age. You just can't get a full line worth of decent players and have them not be worth a fortune. It would be tough to make it work with the contract limit as well.

The Oilers can't win a McDavid trade. Best case scenario we get a couple of good but not great players, and that's just not enough. If you look at most of the superstar trades since the Lindros deal, they've been hugely underwhelming:

Wayne Gretzky
- to the St. Louis Blues for Patrice Tardif, Craig Johnson, Roman Vopat and 1st rd pick

Eric Lindros
- to New York Rangers for Jan Hlavac, Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl and 3rd rd pick

Jaromir Jagr
- to the Washington Capitals with Frank Kucera for Kris Beech, Ross Lupaschuk & Michal Sivek

Chris Pronger
- to the Anaheim Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, two 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick
- to the Philadelphia Flyers with Ryan Dingle for Joffrey Lupul, Luca Sbisa, two 1st rd picks

You get the point here. A McDavid trade would see us get back a roster player or two plus prospects and picks. It would be devastating for the morale of the remaining team and the fanbase. Other players would ask to get out. It would be miserable.

We have the best player in the league and another guy who is top five. Just build around them for crying out loud. It isn't as hard as Oilers management always makes it.

Every time we have some cap we toss it to a Russell or Kassian or Chaisson or Koskinen. Eternally up against the cap and falling in love with some guy that played good for a month so we give him a long term overpriced deal.

There is no way this team could pull off a McDavid trade, no matter what we got back. Our path would be Ottawa basically with more overpriced plugs, and without being able to draft anyone decent outside of the 1st round.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2021 23:28]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774078 is a reply to message #774074 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 23:23

Every time we have some cap we toss it to a Russell or Kassian or Chaisson or Koskinen. Eternally up against the cap can falling in love with some guy that played good for a month so we give him a long term overpriced deal.

There is no way this team could pull off a McDavid trade, no matter what we got back. Our path would be Ottawa basically with more overpriced plugs, and without being able to draft anyone decent outside of the 1st round.

That's where the biggest errors have been. The team hasn't ever played their cards right with McDavid. The first couple years after he landed, there was a buzz around the league about him and people actually wanted to come here, but the Oilers never really made that count. They got Milan Lucic and they didn't get him at a discount. They traded away Hall who was on a bargain contract and driving results even when not playing with McDavid.

There's a bit of a blip there as things start taking a turn for the worse, but then McDavid gives them money back on his second contract, and there's an opportunity to go and squeeze everyone else who becomes a free agent or wants to come here by saying - the best player took a discount so we can ice a winner, and everyone else has to as well. Instead they give PREMIUM contracts to guys like Russell and Gryba that summer. The management has been ridiculously bad and they could conceivably miss the playoffs for the 5th time in 6 McDavid years (if you don't include the play-ins that weren't really playoffs). That's completely unforgivable and every Oilers fan should always be livid about that.

The Gretzky Oilers NEVER missed the playoffs. Not once. Crosby's missed the post-season twice in his whole career including losing the play-ins last season. I've heard people urge patience by saying Ovechkin didn't win until his 13th season, but he's only missed the post-season three times, including his first two years when the team was horrible.

There's no good excuse for not building a better, stronger, deeper team around McDavid and Draisaitl. It's taken stunning incompetence to end up where we're at.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774082 is a reply to message #774078 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:35

There's no good excuse for not building a better, stronger, deeper team around McDavid and Draisaitl. It's taken stunning incompetence to end up where we're at.

How many players on that roster are playing above their contract right now? Yamamoto. And Draisaitl. Other than that, every single other player is, at best, living up to their cap hit and I would say most of them are underwater.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774079 is a reply to message #774074 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:23

Every time we have some cap we toss it to a Russell or Kassian or Chaisson or Koskinen. Eternally up against the cap and falling in love with some guy that played good for a month so we give him a long term overpriced deal.

Don't look now, but the 2nd year of that Turris deal is shaping up to be a real doozy. At least the cap hit is low, but basically just a waste of a roster spot at this point.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774081 is a reply to message #774079 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:42

Don't look now, but the 2nd year of that Turris deal is shaping up to be a real doozy. At least the cap hit is low, but basically just a waste of a roster spot at this point.

What if he gets bought out?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774083 is a reply to message #774081 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:45

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:42

What if he gets bought out?

I think you're probably better just burying him in the minors next year than paying the buyout amount for the next 2

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774084 is a reply to message #774079 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 23:42

I'm sure Turris will find a home as a 3rd line winger, centered by some guy we overpay to become our #3C who ends up disappointing as well. But hey, had to overpay because Turris made Bobby and Holland realize how hard it really is to fill that #3C spot. Cheaping out is not an option anymore. Unfortunately, filling that spot with an overpaid guy didn't leave any money for a D or G upgrade after we gave Larsson a 4 year deal and Nuge 8Mx7. Hopefully the cap goes up in 22/23. It did! Nice. Oops, we just gave all that increase for NUrses 8x8 extension.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2021 00:06]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774085 is a reply to message #774074 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wayne Gretzky

Eric Lindros

Jaromir Jagr

Chris Pronger

Jimmy Corson was included in the Gretzky trade and scored alot of goals. We have two of the best players in the league and unlike Pittsburgh we fail to surround them. St Louis had no superstars and won because they were solid lines 1-4. If you trade the two best with TERM and not at the end plus Nuge could you not get enough to build a proper team?

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774086 is a reply to message #774085 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

travgwhite wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 00:11

Wayne Gretzky

If not! " Goin For Bowen"
Eric Lindros

Jaromir Jagr

Chris Pronger

Jimmy Corson was included in the Gretzky trade and scored alot of goals. We have two of the best players in the league and unlike Pittsburgh we fail to surround them. St Louis had no superstars and won because they were solid lines 1-4. If you trade the two best with TERM and not at the end plus Nuge could you not get enough to build a proper team?

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774087 is a reply to message #774086 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I always knew we need Klefbom with our anemic defence, but this still hurts.

I wonder if we could make McDavid our #1D and Drai our #1C. kidding... I think

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774088 is a reply to message #774087 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 00:24

I always knew we need Klefbom with our anemic defence, but this still hurts.

I wonder if we could make McDavid our #1D and Drai our #1C. kidding... I think

Was our only reliable defender that could make plays with the puck. Definitely miss him a lot. We all just had to hope for a leap from Bear and Jones to somehow stabilize our D, but doesn't seem like it's happening. Nurse has been decent, but he's just 1 guy, and he still depends on his partner a lot to make plays. This group just isn't good enough.

Barrie forget he's playing for his next deal? Maybe he's just slowing down. I'm super unimpressed so far. 3.75M looks like he robbed us.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774098 is a reply to message #774053 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:39

Archibald an impressive -2 in just 8 minutes of work, plus he was in the penalty box for another goal against.

Koskinen 23 saves and 4 goals against - including pretty quick goals against both times we tied the game.

Man, I don't know what has to happen to turn things around for this team. It ain't looking good. We're over 15% of the season done. We need a winning streak just to get respectable again.

Well we don't have a Mike Smith in the lineup like we did last season to just take over the goaltending and almost win the division by the time COVID stopped the regular season in 2020. I don't understand how everyone was happy that Smith is hurt, it's devestating to not have a backup that can just let Koski sit and rest.

We are also seeing how much Klefbom means to this team. That year we had Ken Hitchcock when he broks his hand in Colorado the season was over when they were cruising towards the playoffs.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774103 is a reply to message #774098 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 08:57

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:39

Well we don't have a Mike Smith in the lineup like we did last season to just take over the goaltending and almost win the division by the time COVID stopped the regular season in 2020. I don't understand how everyone was happy that Smith is hurt, it's devestating to not have a backup that can just let Koski sit and rest.

We are also seeing how much Klefbom means to this team. That year we had Ken Hitchcock when he broks his hand in Colorado the season was over when they were cruising towards the playoffs.

With the small asterisk that Mike Smith didn't take over the goaltending last year, and had some of the worst stats of any goalie in the league.

I don't think anyone has been happy he's hurt, because as bad as he is, the team is still weaker when the only other option is a sub .900 sv% ECHL goalie. Here's hoping Grosenick does something with his opportunity when it comes. It sounds like that may be this weekend.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774059 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

10 games left to know if this team is bad or not.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774060 is a reply to message #774059 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Seriously? That is like standing on the top of the Titanic after it's cracked in half and saying there's still time, she might not sink. This team is as bad as it's been since Eakins. The playbook must be called act like the puck is a grenade.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774062 is a reply to message #774060 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:54

Seriously? That is like standing on the top of the Titanic after it's cracked in half and saying there's still time, she might not sink. This team is as bad as it's been since Eakins. The playbook must be called act like the puck is a grenade.

Hey, I argued we should know with ~52 games left like in a normal year when non-playoff teams to start Dec usually don't make it, but was shut down by CrudeRemarks math. Need to get 1/3 into the season to decide :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774064 is a reply to message #774062 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

For a team that looks remotely like they got a chance I agree. But man, this team needs a wake up call. Since the fans have left the stadium they have been an embarrassment.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774099 is a reply to message #774062 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:57

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Thu, 28 January 2021 22:54

Hey, I argued we should know with ~52 games left like in a normal year when non-playoff teams to start Dec usually don't make it, but was shut down by CrudeRemarks math. Need to get 1/3 into the season to decide :)

You guys are worried over nothing. These were basically preseason games.

And the upside is we know tomorrow is guaranteed win night because we split every series*

*Montreal doesn’t count

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774066 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

2 Cups

This team is so far away from being a contender you need the Hubbell Telescope to see them.

This horse bleep coming from media and the dressing room that they are so close, a few mistakes away, is getting tiresome. They have a serious depth deficiency.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774070 is a reply to message #774066 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This roster with a diff. Coaching staff is 6-2 right now.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774080 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Thu, 28 January 2021 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Defense isn't good enough, bunch of 6's and 7's trying to be 1's and 2's.

Larsson stumbling and bumbling all over, Bear, Jones, and Barrie too small and weak, getting overwhelmed physically, just awful results.

There's about 5 forwards that should be flushed.
Only
Two guys made that a game even worth tuning into, McDavid and Draisaitl..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774091 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oilers wins are feel goods, just not many of those. Losses, just been beaten down by them as a fan so much that I just don't get nearly as upset anymore.

PK was a letdown tonight, and so many opportunities for that needed goal on the PP.

Someone mentioned small D, but almost everyone is playing small, and the big guys in the bottom six are playing soft. Hit someone....be frigging miserable. How about a fighting major? I wonder what's being said among the guys in the room about collectively picking it up?

I wouldn't mind seeing a different guy between the pipes, either.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774092 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Wow, the Chicken Littles are out in full force.

They lost an extremely close game to a really good team. It's gonna happen.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774094 is a reply to message #774092 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Coming up on 20% of the season played already and only Ottawa and Detroit have worse point % than the Oilers.

Yes they could turn it around, but we now need a 3 game winning streak just to get to .500. Not looking good.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774097 is a reply to message #774092 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 04:31

Miss the playoffs 13/14 years and fans are chicken littles for pointing out the team plays almost exactly the same as all those fail teams.

Probably one of the thinnest D groups we've ever had as well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774100 is a reply to message #774092 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

It has happened. Six times to be precise, in a shortened season. Do we only get to criticize AFTER they are officially eliminated from playoff contention?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774101 is a reply to message #774100 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:13

It has happened. Six times to be precise, in a shortened season. Do we only get to criticize AFTER they are officially eliminated from playoff contention?

Maybe we’ll be allowed to once this team shows they can’t beat Ottawa Sunday with Koskinen getting his 11th straight start on the second half of a back to back taking the team to 3-8.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774104 is a reply to message #774101 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:24

Maybe we’ll be allowed to once this team shows they can’t beat Ottawa Sunday with Koskinen getting his 11th straight start on the second half of a back to back taking the team to 3-8.

Have you ever considered that maybe it's your negativity that's making the Oilers lose all these games?

Honestly, I don't really understand the preaching of patience at this point. We're 3-6 despite having the 1-2 scorers in the league, in a shortened season. With only games within the division, some of our rivals are getting points every night no matter what. Every game is four points and we can't afford to piss them away.

The team is showing some pretty substantial cracks at at least three different parts of the team, and the special teams hasn't covered for our blemishes like it did for much of last year.

On top of that, this is McDavid's 6th season and we're trending towards a fifth year without playoffs - at some point he's going to say enough is enough and want the team to actually start giving him a chance to win. If he or Draisaitl demand to go - we're screwed for a decade after that.

Sometimes, the sky really is falling.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774105 is a reply to message #774104 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:33

Have you ever considered that maybe it's your negativity that's making the Oilers lose all these games?

Honestly, I don't really understand the preaching of patience at this point. We're 3-6 despite having the 1-2 scorers in the league, in a shortened season. With only games within the division, some of our rivals are getting points every night no matter what. Every game is four points and we can't afford to piss them away.

The team is showing some pretty substantial cracks at at least three different parts of the team, and the special teams hasn't covered for our blemishes like it did for much of last year.

On top of that, this is McDavid's 6th season and we're trending towards a fifth year without playoffs - at some point he's going to say enough is enough and want the team to actually start giving him a chance to win. If he or Draisaitl demand to go - we're screwed for a decade after that.

Haven't heard the excuse from Stauffer lately about the lack of fan energy in Edmonton crowds giving the Oilers a disadvantage compared to more excited fan bases.

I guess we could complain about the guy controlling the fan sound in Edmonton possibly not hitting the fun buttons as much as the control guys for fake sounds in other arenas.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774106 is a reply to message #774105 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:36

Haven't heard the excuse from Stauffer lately about the lack of fan energy in Edmonton crowds giving the Oilers a disadvantage compared to more excited fan bases.

I guess we could complain about the guy controlling the fan sound in Edmonton possibly not hitting the fun buttons as much as the control guys for fake sounds in other arenas.

I just want to know if that sound is actually in the rink, or if it's only on TV. I do find it weird and a little annoying.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774107 is a reply to message #774106 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:42

I just want to know if that sound is actually in the rink, or if it's only on TV. I do find it weird and a little annoying.

Thought it was for the benefit of the players too and they pumped it into the arena speakers, so players don't feel like they're playing in a morgue. Think some players commented on it in the playoffs.

Clearly something is wrong with the sound in our arena though, or we would be winning more.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774108 is a reply to message #774107 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:43

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:42

Thought it was for the benefit of the players too and they pumped it into the arena speakers, so players don't feel like they're playing in a morgue. Think some players commented on it in the playoffs.

Clearly something is wrong with the sound in our arena though, or we would be winning more.

Who did they use for the fan sounds?? Did they contract EA?? Or use audio from old games and just splice the crowd sound out?

How do they not have the team specific chants going? This team, along with the reminder to shoot on powerplays, could probably benefit from a good ol’ LETS GO OILERS *clap, clap, clap clap clap* LETS GO OILERS (rinse, repeat).

I feel they’ve really dropped the ball with the fake crowd noise.

I will continue to be UP for game days and arguably drunk and disgruntled come the first intermission. Musty Math and Musty Weather may take a day off tomorrow to see if that changes the fortunes of the spineless team we so dearingly love.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Next Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca