This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772628 is a reply to message #772516 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

This game also on TSN2, for those who aren’t a fan of Jack.

I’m JACKED for Jack. Fwiw.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772629 is a reply to message #772628 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 15:28

Oh nice. One thing I think I'm going to miss this year is watching the opposing team's feed to get a different perspective on the club. Except for Vancouver's duo. They're awful.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772630 is a reply to message #772629 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 16:32

Oh nice. One thing I think I'm going to miss this year is watching the opposing team's feed to get a different perspective on the club. Except for Vancouver's duo. They're awful.

Have to add Rick Ball (who isn’t terrible!) and his (terrible) broadcasting partner Cassie PC.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772643 is a reply to message #772629 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 16:32

100% agree. I always watched the opposition broadcast unless there was a god awful pair on that side.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772632 is a reply to message #772628 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

It'll be blacked out unless you are in the Habs viewing region.

You might find a quasi-legal way to watch in the dark recesses of the internet.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772633 is a reply to message #772632 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 16:46

What!!! C’mon cable companies. Doesn’t pain me, as a Jack fan, but c’mon!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772640 is a reply to message #772633 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 15:55

That's on the NHL and their absurd regional broadcasting system. Although I do wonder if SNET and TSN would agree to show games in each other's off markets if they could. They both act like protectionist companies, imo.

Anyway, it's more important that the NHL and media companies protect what little they can cling on to and never try to make their product better to expand naturally.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772645 is a reply to message #772640 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 17:36

That's on the NHL and their absurd regional broadcasting system. Although I do wonder if SNET and TSN would agree to show games in each other's off markets if they could. They both act like protectionist companies, imo.

Anyway, it's more important that the NHL and media companies protect what little they can cling on to and never try to make their product better to expand naturally.

or, Sportsnet pays the Oilers millions for the right to exclusively broadcast regional Oilers games in the Oilers region (as with TSN and the Habs), and that investment is being protected. Its not like you can't watch the Oilers game.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772647 is a reply to message #772645 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

1 and 0 with Jack calling the game. Secret weapon.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772651 is a reply to message #772645 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 18:33

or, Sportsnet pays the Oilers millions for the right to exclusively broadcast regional Oilers games in the Oilers region (as with TSN and the Habs), and that investment is being protected. Its not like you can't watch the Oilers game.

I get it, but in the same vein Sportsnet could benefit if our Vancouver friends were allowed to watch regionally locked games. The problem with exclusive rights, and any monopoly, is producing quality is no longer a concern and protectionism starts to stifle the consumer. You know, like how we get to watch 2 NFL games Sunday mornings on 17 different channels.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772702 is a reply to message #772651 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 19:12

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 18:33

I get it, but in the same vein Sportsnet could benefit if our Vancouver friends were allowed to watch regionally locked games. The problem with exclusive rights, and any monopoly, is producing quality is no longer a concern and protectionism starts to stifle the consumer. You know, like how we get to watch 2 NFL games Sunday mornings on 17 different channels.

All sports have TV deals that finance significant portions of their budget.

I understand it's frustrating that fans who are out of market but still within Canada have to buy both a local cable subscription plus a league-wide package, but that happens because the national and regional contracts are different entities and both rightsholders have to be protected. Could the league structure those deals different to allow for one package to cover all? Sure, but the league likes you paying twice. Make no mistake, it's the league making the rules.

As for quality, thats is something the league and broadcasters have to police, at the risk of losing paying customers. Bad commentators (Quinn, Remenda) or bad technical quality (picture and sound of Flames broadcasts is horrid) need to be fixed.

The football thing is different. From everything I understand, Bell has the ability to show any game on any channel. They have 7 of their own channels on top of the US channels showing the games. They just aren't showing the games they already have the rights to.

Re: Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772716 is a reply to message #772702 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 20:54 Go to previous message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 20:40

All sports have TV deals that finance significant portions of their budget.

I understand it's frustrating that fans who are out of market but still within Canada have to buy both a local cable subscription plus a league-wide package, but that happens because the national and regional contracts are different entities and both rightsholders have to be protected. Could the league structure those deals different to allow for one package to cover all? Sure, but the league likes you paying twice. Make no mistake, it's the league making the rules.

As for quality, thats is something the league and broadcasters have to police, at the risk of losing paying customers. Bad commentators (Quinn, Remenda) or bad technical quality (picture and sound of Flames broadcasts is horrid) need to be fixed.

The football thing is different. From everything I understand, Bell has the ability to show any game on any channel. They have 7 of their own channels on top of the US channels showing the games. They just aren't showing the games they already have the rights to.

Leagues like their fans paying twice (or three times if they go to games) but a growing number of fans aren't paying at all. I don't pay for cable because I don't get good value for it. Maybe leagues and governments can play whack-a-mole with alternative suppliers of entertainment, but I have my doubts. Cable subscription rates continue to decline, leagues would be smart if they understood this and tried to figure out another path forward. I doubt they will until it's too late, they're beholden to they exclusive contracts seen by an increasingly small number of people.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca