This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772435]
Sat, 16 January 2021 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Montreal to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772436 is a reply to message #772435 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I really like Koekkoek and Barrie.

That’s about it for me on the night.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772437 is a reply to message #772435 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Terrible practice.

Lose one. Win one. Need to develop a be better mentality soon.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772438 is a reply to message #772437 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 20:43

Terrible practice.

Lose one. Win one. Need to develop a be better mentality soon.

Show some emotion out there too. There was nothing tonight.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772439 is a reply to message #772435 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

https://media0.giphy.com/media/x47gj23jEvGxdWkQEC/giphy.gif

Ugh...not a great showing, some iffy defence and goaltending and Carey Price playing all-world.

Hopefully Monday is significantly better.

I will say, I'm going to HATE hearing all season the importance of getting a split out of this two game set...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772440 is a reply to message #772439 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 20:58

I will say, I'm going to HATE hearing all season the importance of getting a split out of this two game set...

So you’re saying you hate hearing it’s a must win game?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772447 is a reply to message #772435 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

We're so lost in our zone... I'm not sure what to think here anymore. Is there really no way to get these players to look like they have some kind of competent structure in how they defend? They're just all over the place. Is Tippett not going insane on these guys in practice for looking so stupid in their own zone?

Hope Price is back to his old ~0.900 sav% ways against the Oilers next game. We'll need it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772448 is a reply to message #772447 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I heard it was Mark Joanette refereeing tonight, which would explain some of the terrible non-calls. The one where McDavid is pulled down to his knees and still gets a shot, the ridiculous Gallagher retaliation cross-check on Nurse after he got hit...

It wasn't the difference tonight, but it didn't help either.

I have to say, there is part of me that is doubting that going in to the season with Koskinen/Smith as the goaltending plan may have been a bad idea.

Also, Jeff Petry. 2 goals, +3, 5 shots and just looked dominant all night long. Man, MacTavish was a terrible GM.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772449 is a reply to message #772448 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

So that's why the media has the Oilers ranked so low before the season started.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772450 is a reply to message #772449 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

So the win out of reach you don't give your only NHL Goalie a rest/protection and your backup some ice time? Everyone in the organization was bad tonight. What a tire fire...teams that know to pressure our D are going to take wins easily this year.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772451 is a reply to message #772450 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

cosmicheretic wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 21:09

So the win out of reach you don't give your only NHL Goalie a rest/protection and your backup some ice time? Everyone in the organization was bad tonight. What a tire fire...teams that know to pressure our D are going to take wins easily this year.

What's one period of rest going to do? And Skinner struggled at the AHL level last year. You put him in for the 3rd and it might just be even worse. The reality here is that the Oilers only have one goalie for the next two weeks. No getting around that really.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772455 is a reply to message #772451 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 21:12

cosmicheretic wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 21:09

What's one period of rest going to do? And Skinner struggled at the AHL level last year. You put him in for the 3rd and it might just be even worse. The reality here is that the Oilers only have one goalie for the next two weeks. No getting around that really.

It would be more about not exposing our only goalie to injury. So losing 6-0 is so much worse than 5-0? I'll agree to disagree on this one.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772454 is a reply to message #772448 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 21:01

Man, MacTavish was a terrible GM.

The only consistent aspect of the Oilers since #4 took over hockey ops.....terrible GM's.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772456 is a reply to message #772454 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 22:04

The only consistent aspect of the Oilers since #4 took over hockey ops.....terrible GM's.

Who is left in the pool if people Lowe knows personally or from working with Hockey Canada? Gotta be close to running out of people that would be available/interested by now.

Or are we just gonna jump straight into the pool of guys like Horcoff next?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772457 is a reply to message #772456 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 22:12

Who is left in the pool if people Lowe knows personally or from working with Hockey Canada? Gotta be close to running out of people that would be available/interested by now.

You know, there's only so many jobs that could bring Ryan Smyth home from Nashville...

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772460 is a reply to message #772456 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 22:12

I'm not convinced we want convicted drug cheat Shawn Horcoff running things.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772459 is a reply to message #772448 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 20:01

I heard it was Mark Joanette refereeing tonight, which would explain some of the terrible non-calls. The one where McDavid is pulled down to his knees and still gets a shot, the ridiculous Gallagher retaliation cross-check on Nurse after he got hit...

It wasn't the difference tonight, but it didn't help either.

I have to say, there is part of me that is doubting that going in to the season with Koskinen/Smith as the goaltending plan may have been a bad idea.

Also, Jeff Petry. 2 goals, +3, 5 shots and just looked dominant all night long. Man, MacTavish was a terrible GM.

Didn't know it was Jennette, explains the no-calls as you said..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772458 is a reply to message #772447 ]
Sat, 16 January 2021 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 16 January 2021 19:55

We're so lost in our zone... I'm not sure what to think here anymore. Is there really no way to get these players to look like they have some kind of competent structure in how they defend? They're just all over the place. Is Tippett not going insane on these guys in practice for looking so stupid in their own zone?

Hope Price is back to his old ~0.900 sav% ways against the Oilers next game. We'll need it.

Well .. that sucked. Glad I PVR'd it.
You're right, own zone is a disaster, the theme seems to be D-men throwing the puck up along the boards to the point for forwards who are out of position, and scrambling to beat the opposing D-man to the loose puck.. and lose the race in almost ever instance, continuing the cycle... Ennis had one nice sequence where he got the loose puck and handled it until he was able to clear the zone.. but overall, its a fire drill out there.

Nurse was the goat again on the play where he pinched down low in the opposing end and then got caught, with Tiffoli sneaking past him and going in on a breakaway.. RNH could have played 3rd man high.. but he didn't, went chasing a guy across the side of the ice..

Have to get the 3rd line contributing on the score sheet, get some goal production..

I've seen enough of Chaser, McLeod comes in for Pulju and PulJu moves up to McD'sline.. or least the PP

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772461 is a reply to message #772458 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This team is getting lit up to start the season. So much for keeping pucks out of the net.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772463 is a reply to message #772461 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 00:46

This team is getting lit up to start the season. So much for keeping pucks out of the net.

Who seriously thought that the Oil D was going to be a tight one this season?

The Jekyll and Hyde show needs to stop. In a short season, this could see them eliminated by the halfway point...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772480 is a reply to message #772435 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Watching some of these other NHL games, its revealing, I see a big difference in the play between thos eteams and what I've seen from the Oil so far, total lack of physical play and intensity. Except for a few guys the rest of them look like they are asleep, just like they were in the play-in round last year. Nobody finishes a check, or engages physicaly, one of the most consistent in that area is Yamomoto, the smallest guy on the team, with some of the most skill, he's not the guy that needs to make his contribution by using physical play, but he does, and its greatly effective, he's a puck hound, separates pucks from people, and he makes scoring plays happen because of it. Its sickening to watch all the fly-bys by guys in the bottom 6, and I include the D-men as well, weak, uninterested efforts. Th edefense was supposed to be improved this year (and it is with KK and Barrie), but the other guys are looking suspect. I was worried Jones might not be ready, and he hasn't. Nurse still making dopey choices.. ?? .. you're not a rookie anymore buddy, Larsson too. I'm starting to think the best skill a D-man can have is Smarts, without it its like having a race car without a driver.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772493 is a reply to message #772480 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

0-2 with Singh doing PBP...he flat out sucks and he makes the Oilers suck, get this guy outta here why is he doing our broadcasts when Michaels is our guy. Also SN sucks for being too cheap to pay 20 yeart vet Kevin Quinn...gonna miss those "overtiiiiiime wiiiiinner!!" calls

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772495 is a reply to message #772493 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 14:06

0-2 with Singh doing PBP...he flat out sucks and he makes the Oilers suck, get this guy outta here why is he doing our broadcasts when Michaels is our guy. Also SN sucks for being too cheap to pay 20 yeart vet Kevin Quinn...gonna miss those "overtiiiiiime wiiiiinner!!" calls

Boom goes the dynamite..

Yeah he's completely awful, have to be a hundred guys out there better than him at that job, I thought this was a one off but looks like Sportsnet wants to go woke by putting everyone to sleep. I heard him interviewed on Stauffer once, super nice guy, great story, but calling games is not something he's actually good at.. kinda like Cassie Campbell doing TV colour. Hey, every kid in Canada wants to play hockey in the NHL, but 99.999% have to settle for beer league.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 January 2021 15:54]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772502 is a reply to message #772495 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 14:51

Boom goes the dynamite..

Yeah he's completely awful, have to be a hundred guys out there better than him at that job, I thought this was a one off but looks like Sportsnet wants to go woke by putting everyone to sleep. I heard him interviewed on Stauffer once, super nice guy, great story, but calling games is not something he's actually good at.. kinda like Cassie Campbell doing TV colour. Hey, every kid in Canada wants to play hockey in the NHL, but 99.999% have to settle for beer league.

Singh knows the game, but he’s more likely to put me to sleep or lose interest in the game with his soft flat delivery. Man I hope Michaels is the guy from here on out.

Not sure how you get the team going. We need a few piss and vinegar players to get everyone else going. And Kassian isn’t the guy because he only seems to get motivated with a crowd to antagonize or energize.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772503 is a reply to message #772502 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 20:09

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 14:51

Boom goes the dynamite..

Singh knows the game, but he’s more likely to put me to sleep or lose interest in the game with his soft flat delivery. Man I hope Michaels is the guy from here on out.

Not sure how you get the team going. We need a few piss and vinegar players to get everyone else going. And Kassian isn’t the guy because he only seems to get motivated with a crowd to antagonize or energize.

We’ll get Debrusk and Singh for National games unless it’s v Toronto, I’m thinking. So Wednesday and Saturday night games are Singh, rest are Jack? Something like that anyway. Jack is just regional games, so about 2/3 of the games.

This team was in a groove when Drai was arrogant and chirping last year, when Nurse runs his mouth. When the leadership group doesn’t pout on the bench after something negative happens.

You can’t play Calgary 53 times this year. Yeah we get them 10, and they SHOULD get up for those, but other teams seem to have no problem getting in to games. Is it the leadership group? Is it the coaching staff?

It’s as though they’re afraid to finish a check on the chance they take a penalty

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772499 is a reply to message #772480 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 13:51

Watching some of these other NHL games, its revealing, I see a big difference in the play between thos eteams and what I've seen from the Oil so far, total lack of physical play and intensity. Except for a few guys the rest of them look like they are asleep, just like they were in the play-in round last year. Nobody finishes a check, or engages physicaly, one of the most consistent in that area is Yamomoto, the smallest guy on the team, with some of the most skill, he's not the guy that needs to make his contribution by using physical play, but he does, and its greatly effective, he's a puck hound, separates pucks from people, and he makes scoring plays happen because of it. Its sickening to watch all the fly-bys by guys in the bottom 6, and I include the D-men as well, weak, uninterested efforts. Th edefense was supposed to be improved this year (and it is with KK and Barrie), but the other guys are looking suspect. I was worried Jones might not be ready, and he hasn't. Nurse still making dopey choices.. ?? .. you're not a rookie anymore buddy, Larsson too. I'm starting to think the best skill a D-man can have is Smarts, without it its like having a race car without a driver.

1000% agree. I’ve watched a fair share since Thursday and every other team shows some jam. The Oilers, do not. There’s no emotion in their game.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772510 is a reply to message #772499 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 16:14

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 13:51

1000% agree. I’ve watched a fair share since Thursday and every other team shows some jam. The Oilers, do not. There’s no emotion in their game.

Good, so its not just me, I'm not seeing things
I think guys that finish checks is gauge of the guy's natural compete level, does he bring physical play willingly or does it need to be coerced out of him.. if the latter, then I'd say you have a problem. Th ewhole team doesn't have to fly around hitting guys (although it would be pretty nice!), but you do need enough players engaging inorder to achieve a critical mass level high enough to impact games.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772504 is a reply to message #772435 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I've never cared less about an NHL season... the Oilers have killed my love of hockey. I didn't even know the season started until a couple days ago. Quick look at the roster and it's safe to say we can expect more of the same, unless Tippett manages to coach 'em up real good and get them on a heater. Have never liked Tippett. And by more of the same, I mean you win some, you lose some. Teases here and there, but nowhere near SC contender. Goaltending and defence, perpetual issues year after year, a never ending saga. Without that problem getting legitimately solved, they don't have a chance in hell at doing anything of note.

I think ownership and management have bungled things so horrendously, the culture of the organization has been so badly damaged, it's going to take a minor miracle to make something worthwhile of Connor's time with the team.

We have the best player and I can't get up for a game anymore, I don't know what that says...

[Updated on: Sun, 17 January 2021 19:59]

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772505 is a reply to message #772504 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

philly boy wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 19:52

I've never cared less about an NHL season... the Oilers have killed my love of hockey. I didn't even know the season started until a couple days ago. Quick look at the roster and it's safe to say we can expect more of the same, unless Tippett manages to coach 'em up real good and get them on a heater. Have never liked Tippett. And by more of the same, I mean you win some, you lose some. Teases here and there, but nowhere near SC contender. Goaltending and defence, perpetual issues year after year, a never ending saga. Without that problem getting legitimately solved, they don't have a chance in hell at doing anything of note.

I think ownership and management have bungled things so horrendously, the culture of the organization has been so badly damaged, it's going to take a minor miracle to make something worthwhile of Connor's time with the team.

We have the best player and I can't get up for a game anymore, I don't know what that says...

While I fully understand the sentiment, I think this is the best roster since 2017. There are pretty glaring holes on the backend but the forward group is much improved since Chia left. After this season most of his worst moves will be in the rearview mirror. And the best part is they haven’t announced Kevin Lowe’s number retirement!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772507 is a reply to message #772505 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 21:13

While I fully understand the sentiment, I think this is the best roster since 2017. There are pretty glaring holes on the backend but the forward group is much improved since Chia left. After this season most of his worst moves will be in the rearview mirror. And the best part is they haven’t announced Kevin Lowe’s number retirement!

I’d agree the forward group is the best we’ve seen in a long time.

The D... the two most impactful are the two new guys. Jones isn’t ready for a full time role.

Dell is a guy that should have been signed instead of Smith. Now with Smith recovering from a hip replacement for all we know, we have a chance at getting Dell. Not sure how they make things work cap wise, but if it takes waiving Chiasson to put him on the taxi squad, please. Do it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772509 is a reply to message #772507 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 19:18

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 21:13

I’d agree the forward group is the best we’ve seen in a long time.

The D... the two most impactful are the two new guys. Jones isn’t ready for a full time role.

Dell is a guy that should have been signed instead of Smith. Now with Smith recovering from a hip replacement for all we know, we have a chance at getting Dell. Not sure how they make things work cap wise, but if it takes waiving Chiasson to put him on the taxi squad, please. Do it.

If someone takes Chaisson on waivers I'd be ecstatic.. he's replaceable, but I doubt anyone wants him at that price, would be nice to get Dell, if we had cap room I'd take Spezza as well.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772515 is a reply to message #772505 ]
Sun, 17 January 2021 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Our D and goaltending are a mess.

Forward group has more depth, which is great... but we look like a circus in our zone wayyyy too often.

Bear is showing a bit of a slump, imo. Too much is being asked of Nurse; he just doesn't think the game well enough. Larsson looks like he'd rather be golfing, including in the post-game pressers. Jones' brain is AWOL to start this season.

Barrie looks fine... but I'm surprised at how slow he looks at times.

Koekkoek looks the best out of any of them so far, and he was supposed to be our #7. LOLOLOLOLOL.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772528 is a reply to message #772515 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Pretty disappointed game. The Habs were clearly the WAY more aggressive team, they got some breaks with a couple of lucky goals and Price was very good.

When you give up 5 goals it's hard to say the goaltending was great but I can't fault Koskinen on any.

Jones is fighting it. I would put in Russell. Maybe move up Koekkoek and play Russell on the 3rd pairings or you bite the bullet and put in Russell in Jones's spot. He should be motivated. Jones needs a time to reset.

Pretty disappointing game by the McD line. I thought McD was invisible and Nuge wasn't a lot better.

Leon's line was OK. He and Yamo generate chances every game, Kahun is coming. Could of had a few but Price was there.

I think the 3rd line shows promise but need more time. I'd really like to see the coach stick with 3 guys and just let them learn to play together. The 3rd line literally has 3 complete strangers on it and they are trying to learn each others habits on the fly. In a normal time, this line probably would have played most of the preseason games so they would have started up against AHLers and junior guys which gave them time to get used to each other and gradually build.

4th line I thought was better with Shore at center. He was 75% on faceoff. So far Khaira is at 27%.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772537 is a reply to message #772528 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 09:57

Pretty disappointed game. The Habs were clearly the WAY more aggressive team, they got some breaks with a couple of lucky goals and Price was very good.

When you give up 5 goals it's hard to say the goaltending was great but I can't fault Koskinen on any.

Jones is fighting it. I would put in Russell. Maybe move up Koekkoek and play Russell on the 3rd pairings or you bite the bullet and put in Russell in Jones's spot. He should be motivated. Jones needs a time to reset.

Pretty disappointing game by the McD line. I thought McD was invisible and Nuge wasn't a lot better.

Leon's line was OK. He and Yamo generate chances every game, Kahun is coming. Could of had a few but Price was there.

I think the 3rd line shows promise but need more time. I'd really like to see the coach stick with 3 guys and just let them learn to play together. The 3rd line literally has 3 complete strangers on it and they are trying to learn each others habits on the fly. In a normal time, this line probably would have played most of the preseason games so they would have started up against AHLers and junior guys which gave them time to get used to each other and gradually build.

4th line I thought was better with Shore at center. He was 75% on faceoff. So far Khaira is at 27%.

Connor was 100% on the draw.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772542 is a reply to message #772537 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 09:09

That's great. I heard in game 1 he supposedly worked with Keith Acton because he felt it was something in his game he lacked as he wants to be more of a complete player. So I am glad he looks to have improved. I know some don't value faceoffs but I think there is value in it. The more you have the puck, the more chances you have to score and a face win gives you immediate possession. Other than that, McD was pretty off the whole game. Haven't seen him be that little of a factor in a game in... I can't remember.

In my opinion, I know depth is important but if your best players are not very good, it's extremely difficult for a team to win.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3) [message #772545 is a reply to message #772542 ]
Mon, 18 January 2021 09:27 Go to previous message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 10:20

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 January 2021 09:09

That's great. I heard in game 1 he supposedly worked with Keith Acton because he felt it was something in his game he lacked as he wants to be more of a complete player. So I am glad he looks to have improved. I know some don't value faceoffs but I think there is value in it. The more you have the puck, the more chances you have to score and a face win gives you immediate possession. Other than that, McD was pretty off the whole game. Haven't seen him be that little of a factor in a game in... I can't remember.

In my opinion, I know depth is important but if your best players are not very good, it's extremely difficult for a team to win.

Don’t 100% recall where/when I heard this, think it was a pre season interview, but Connor had praised Turris for helping him with faceoffs, teaching him little tricks and whatnot.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Next Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca