This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772137]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772143 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Much better effort from the team tonight, especially on the PP, though it was pretty much the Connor Show again. Maybe last night was just the cobwebs being shaken out before they go on a massive tear. We shall see.....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772150 is a reply to message #772143 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:40

Much better effort from the team tonight, especially on the PP, though it was pretty much the Connor Show again. Maybe last night was just the cobwebs being shaken out before they go on a massive tear. We shall see.....

In some sense I’m kind of glad Connor and Drai had that first bad game. They got it out of the way and were really dialled in tonight.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772158 is a reply to message #772150 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:42

In some sense I’m kind of glad Connor and Drai had that first bad game. They got it out of the way and were really dialled in tonight.

I think it's kind of funny that McDavid had 5 shots including a couple fantastic chances, hit a crossbar, drew a couple penalties and everyone says he had a bad game last night.

Tonight he was not going to be denied though.

Yamamoto with 6 PIMs already. The guy is a thug out there! Not who I would have guessed to lead the team in penalties at any point this season.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772164 is a reply to message #772158 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:48

I think it's kind of funny that McDavid had 5 shots including a couple fantastic chances, hit a crossbar, drew a couple penalties and everyone says he had a bad game last night.

Yamamoto with 6 PIMs already. The guy is a thug out there! Not who I would have guessed to lead the team in penalties at any point this season.

Yep, now he’s on a 2.5 point per game clip.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772172 is a reply to message #772164 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:54

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:48

Yep, now he’s on a 2.5 point per game clip.

My mistake. Connor only had 4 points tonight. ;) 2.0 PPG.

Draisatl on a 2.5 ppg clip.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772165 is a reply to message #772158 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also - 20 shots from the top line tonight (McDavid 9, Nuge 8, Kassian 3). That's a pretty good recipe for success. Puljujarvi with 7 as well...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772166 is a reply to message #772165 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:54

Also - 20 shots from the top line tonight (McDavid 9, Nuge 8, Kassian 3). That's a pretty good recipe for success. Puljujarvi with 7 as well...

7 shots from Puljujarvi is what I was about to post, but you beat me to it. Beauty night from him. Boy does that make me happy. I’m callin’ it right now, he pots one Saturday after beating Kotkaniemi 1v1

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772176 is a reply to message #772166 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:58

Adam wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:54

7 shots from Puljujarvi is what I was about to post, but you beat me to it. Beauty night from him. Boy does that make me happy. I’m callin’ it right now, he pots one Saturday after beating Kotkaniemi 1v1

It's all on our boy Pulju!

3rd and 4th lines out for 4 GA's 5v5 so far (out of our 7 GA's) and 0 GF.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772144 is a reply to message #772137 ]

No Cups

First comment gets a $25 gift card to Applebee’s.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772145 is a reply to message #772144 ]

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:40

Damn I did this as a joke thinking it would be me.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772146 is a reply to message #772144 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:40

I'm good, but thanks. icon_wink

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772153 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Can’t imagine what this thread would be like if they lost.

Certainly a g2k tantrum.

The sense of urgency early in the game was nice. Odd, but very reassuring.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772155 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Great rebound game. Lots of stuff opposite of last night :)

Fingers crossed we can get the top 2 lines rolling. Was hard for McDavid last year when Nuge needed to be with Drai. Kahun looks good. And Yams looks like even more of a driving force out there than last year to keep the 2nd line strong.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772163 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Watching Flames highlights.

Seeing that caveman try to lumber up the ice on a rush and then a bad giveaway on a goal brought a smile to my face. Thank you Mr Holland. He is just awful.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772167 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

McDavid.. All Universe, Super-Duper Star god

Jesse looks awesome.. bright light.. great speed.. that hip operation he had a year ago must have helped his skating.. once he gets rockin' I expect him to be moving up a line.. either Kassian or Kahun going down.. just needs to get on the PP now.. icon_nod
KooKoo looks solid, great pick up by Holland.. good wheels, physical, guy actually knows how to play defense, as opposed to some others who still need to learn (Nurse, Larsson)

Yamamoto.. love this guy.. non-stop engine, plays all-in every shift, spark-plug, more heart pound for pound than anyone, puck hound, never quits, he alone should be inspiring the guys on this team to do better..

Berry looking better, him and KooKoo will be a good pair, Berry really helping the PP.. just need to replace Chaisson with Puljujarvi, which I think will be happening soon..

Bear playing as solid as last year, smart plays, good positioning, physical when needed, good stick, no sophomore slump for this guy..

[Updated on: Thu, 14 January 2021 22:03]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772169 is a reply to message #772167 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 23:00

McDavid.. All Universe, Super-Duper Star

Jesse looks awesome.. bright light.. great speed.. that hip operation he had a year ago must have helped his skating.. once he gets rockin' I expect him to be moving up a line.. either Kassian or Kahun going down.. just needs to get on the PP now :)

KooKoo looks solid, great pick up by Holland.. good wheels, physical, guy actually knows how to play defense, as opposed to some others who still need to learn (Nurse, Larsson)

Yamamoto.. love this guy.. non-stop engine, plays all-in every shift, spark-plug, more heart pound for pound than anyone, puck hound, never quits, he alone should be inspiring the guys on this team to do better..

Berry looking better, him and KooKoo will be a good pair, Berry really helping the PP.. just need to replace Chaisson with Puljujarvi, which I think will be happening soon..

Bear playing as solid as last year, smart plays, good positioning, physical when needed, good stick, no sophomore slump for this guy..

Jesse with Nuge and Connor *swoon*. Then Jesse on the top powerplay? This is what we need, if he keeps trending this way. I love it when you call me big papa!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772177 is a reply to message #772169 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:04

Jesse looks awesome.. bright light.. great speed.. that hip operation he had a year ago must have helped his skating.. once he gets rockin' I expect him to be moving up a line.. either Kassian or Kahun going down.. just needs to get on the PP now :)

Jesse with Nuge and Connor *swoon*. Then Jesse on the top powerplay? This is what we need, if he keeps trending this way. I love it when you call me big papa!

Kassian’s days are numbered, but the paycheque ain’t stopping.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772178 is a reply to message #772177 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:18

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:04

Kassian’s days are numbered, but the paycheque ain’t stopping.

He's just saving his energy for Tkachuk and playoffs. Playoffs, not those lame play in's. Play ins were not worth his time.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772189 is a reply to message #772169 ]
Fri, 15 January 2021 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 01:04

I don't care a lick about grudges and hurt feelings and all that other nonsense - all of you who still feel spurned by JP, have yourselves a good little cry, but I want this team to win games. And just going off these past 2 games there is 0 doubt in my mind that JP up on the 1st line would help that goal more than Kassian there.

JP has looked great out there IMO. "Punishing" him by keeping him down the lineup helps nobody. I don't care about the "paying dues" and all that other nonsense either. Hopefully they swap him and Zack sooner rather than later.

Honestly, I think it would do both a world of good - Zack is looking to comfortable and at ease up there. Maybe that would light a fire under him.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772192 is a reply to message #772189 ]
Fri, 15 January 2021 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 08:42

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 01:04

I don't care a lick about grudges and hurt feelings and all that other nonsense - all of you who still feel spurned by JP, have yourselves a good little cry, but I want this team to win games. And just going off these past 2 games there is 0 doubt in my mind that JP up on the 1st line would help that goal more than Kassian there.

JP has looked great out there IMO. "Punishing" him by keeping him down the lineup helps nobody. I don't care about the "paying dues" and all that other nonsense either. Hopefully they swap him and Zack sooner rather than later.

Honestly, I think it would do both a world of good - Zack is looking to comfortable and at ease up there. Maybe that would light a fire under him.

It didn’t help light a fire under Kass when he was punted from Connor’s wing in the play in.

I love the kid. His game last night left me looking for pants this morning. I do agree a swap sooner than later would/could be beneficial, but I don’t know if they truly are going to put the cart before the carriage here. Give him a couple more games to get acclimated to the time he has on the smaller ice. Once he figures out the timing those shots are going to be more lethal.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772175 is a reply to message #772167 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:00

McDavid.. All Universe, Super-Duper Star god

Jesse looks awesome.. bright light.. great speed.. that hip operation he had a year ago must have helped his skating.. once he gets rockin' I expect him to be moving up a line.. either Kassian or Kahun going down.. just needs to get on the PP now.. icon_nod

If I was going to nitpick on Puljujarvi, I'd like to see him get off better shots. I like the hustle, but most of those don't have a lot of pace on them. Hopefully a little confidence helps and he takes the extra half second to get some zip on those releases.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772179 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

3 stars were correct and you could have given Koskinen one as well. Way better defensively too.

Given the times, it's amazing how an Oilers win improves quality of life.....amiright?

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772180 is a reply to message #772179 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 22:34

3 stars were correct and you could have given Koskinen one as well. Way better defensively too.

Given the times, it's amazing how an Oilers win improves quality of life.....amiright?

Until Koskinen shows “battle”.

No stars...

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772184 is a reply to message #772179 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 21:34

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3o7aCVqXn0idWFuDnO/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47774qn8igm9lfz989w4cmj1i8iw4zejc9c1gypa8l&rid=200w.webp

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772183 is a reply to message #772137 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Not sure what's wrong with Kassian.. not the same guy.. motor sputtering, dopey plays, not hitting a thing out there.. lost his mojo..

I think he should try a hypnotist.. "Zack.. you are getting sleepy.. when I snap my fingers you will .. WAKE the FK UP and be Zack 2017!"

https://media3.giphy.com/media/26tPaBdw70eOYf1io/200.webp?cid=ecf05e47s96ho7frfcy466u7135rnncn85aj7ofm6849tt7s&rid=200.webp

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772191 is a reply to message #772183 ]
Fri, 15 January 2021 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 00:27

Not sure what's wrong with Kassian.. not the same guy.. motor sputtering, dopey plays, not hitting a thing out there.. lost his mojo..

I think he should try a hypnotist.. "Zack.. you are getting sleepy.. when I snap my fingers you will .. WAKE the FK UP and be Zack 2017!"

https://media3.giphy.com/media/26tPaBdw70eOYf1io/200.webp?cid=ecf05e47s96ho7frfcy466u7135rnncn85aj7ofm6849tt7s&rid=200.webp

It’s not a contract year. Hate to say it but he’s only really been relevant in contract years.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772193 is a reply to message #772191 ]
Fri, 15 January 2021 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 08:51

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 00:27

It’s not a contract year. Hate to say it but he’s only really been relevant in contract years.

Kassian strikes me as a guy who really feeds off the crowd. He got absolutely robbed by Demko in the first. I thought he was better last night and I think he provides a presence that is useful to McD. Getting pucks in the corners, bringing a physical edge to the line, chaos in front of the goalie, mostly being a security guard for McD which I think is important. But he needs to find away to get more energy without there being a crowd for what is probably the bulk of the season.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #772200 is a reply to message #772193 ]
Fri, 15 January 2021 09:51 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

My thoughts on the game.

The whole team looked like it was shot out of a cannon, especially McDavid. He must have taken not scoring on his bday personally because he had 3 but could have doubled that easily. I thought the Oilers were all over the Canucks for most of the game and was actually frustrated it was closer than it should have been. Demko was outstanding and kept them in it.

McD line was fantastic.

Leon line looked good again. Kahun had some chances but with all those PP's and PK, it took some steam from him. Yamo looks legit.

3rd line I thought was a lot better. JP is coming which is nice to see. This is only his second game in North American in almost 23 months so it will take him a bit. Arch looked more engaged and got robbed but looked a lot better. Turris looks good especially on the PK. Nice to have what looks like a 3rd line finally.

4th line they keep getting caved in. This isn't me hating on the guy, I just think they will continue to struggle 5 on 5 as long as Khaira is at center. In my opinion, for a line to be effective, typically the center has to be the driver otherwise you have to have an elite level winger to get away with it. I just don't think Khaira has it in him to be an effective center. I think Haas will take that spot when he is ready and the line will be better. I think Neal will take Chiassons spot which I think will help them 5 on 5 as he's a much more skilled player. Not that Chiasson has been bad, he just isn't converting on his golden PP chances while Neal probably would have popped a couple.

Defense
Nurse - Bear - continue to be good. Bear just keeps making all these subtle plays and Nurse looks like a force.

Jones - Larsson - much better game by Larsson. Jones needs to calm the down as he looks shaky.

Koekkoek - Barrie - I think they look decent. Brand new team, brand new partner. Usually they would have preseason to work on chemistry. Both look solid. I think Barrie is looking better and better on the PP.

I wonder if we see Koekkoek elevated with Larsson and Jones either dropped with Barrie or taken out to give him a game to reset.

I thought Koskinen was good last night. I thought he was good the night before. When your team isn't giving up break aways and wide open slot looks, it's amazing what your goalie can look like.

Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca