This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771907]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771912 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Same old story: Oils' D sucks donkey balls and Connor et company cannot outscore the mistakes. But hey, they still have a whole 56 games to get better!

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771914 is a reply to message #771912 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 22:38

Same old story: Oils' D sucks donkey balls and Connor et company cannot outscore the mistakes. But hey, they still have a whole 56 games to get better!

One day this team will learn how to defend. Just hope I live to see it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771919 is a reply to message #771914 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Awful game to watch.

The only good thing about it was Moss.

Horrible D. Just horrid.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771924 is a reply to message #771914 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 22:39

Sure would have been nice if their PP looked like that one that wound up tops in the NHL last season too. Barrie was a little on the completely-blank side tonight as the new point man.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771926 is a reply to message #771914 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

The thing that's scary is that the worst defenders tonight were Nurse and Larsson. Those are the guys you're supposed to be able to rely on in this lineup, and they didn't look good - other than scoring the two goals, of course.

I hope we see a little less hesitation to shoot from Barrie. He seemed to be deferring on the PP an awful lot, and some of those you'd like him to just rip.

Also, if Chiasson isn't a lot better on the PP, I wouldn't give him a long rope there. The empty net he missed on the second goal was awful but he seemed to be double-clutching on the puck a couple other times too. He's had some success there so I don't mind them giving him a shot, but if it isn't working, I'd move him out fast. We have other options we can use there.

Disappointing start to the season, but it's only one game. Let's see how they respond tomorrow.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771928 is a reply to message #771926 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 22:51

The thing that's scary is that the worst defenders tonight were Nurse and Larsson. Those are the guys you're supposed to be able to rely on in this lineup, and they didn't look good - other than scoring the two goals, of course.

I hope we see a little less hesitation to shoot from Barrie. He seemed to be deferring on the PP an awful lot, and some of those you'd like him to just rip.

Also, if Chiasson isn't a lot better on the PP, I wouldn't give him a long rope there. The empty net he missed on the second goal was awful but he seemed to be double-clutching on the puck a couple other times too. He's had some success there so I don't mind them giving him a shot, but if it isn't working, I'd move him out fast. We have other options we can use there.

Disappointing start to the season, but it's only one game. Let's see how they respond tomorrow.

Our 2 guys that just live to ring it around the boards. That stuff gets exposed so easily now.

It didn't seem like our PP was looking for a Barrie shot at all tonight. I guess having Klef there barely able to shoot didn't hurt much last year. Guys generally were out of sync on the PP. I thought I saw some stats that Chaisson was actually our best guy around the front of the net last year (in terms of rate of goals being scored, not necessarily him getting points), but definitely another guy that was totally off.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771945 is a reply to message #771928 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 01:57

Our 2 guys that just live to ring it around the boards. That stuff gets exposed so easily now.

I've been complaining about this since the days of Staios and Jason Smith. I don't get it - other teams just seem to easily vacate their zone with a couple of crisp passes, but for decades we've have dmen basically close their eyes, hammer the puck up the boards and hope for the best. What the hell is that? Is that taught? Whatever it is, they really need to unteach that. And they do it when there's not even that much pressure. Such a stupid and dangerous way to just give up possession, in your own zone to boot.

That Larsson move to go for the big hit was a junior hockey move at best. No idea what he was thinking there.

I really liked Yamomoto, JP, and Koekkoek.

Draistaitl was a love/hate thing. He looked amazing at times but then would follow it up by trying to be too cute and turning the puck over.

Anyway - first game with a bunch of new players. I'm not overly concerned right now, but it's a short season, so we can't afford to piss away too many points.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771915 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

When Chiarelli was fired, they should have executed him as well.

The ripple effects of his damage are still alive and well.

And the next bullet should have been specially for Bob Nicholson as he sat on his hands and let it all happen. Generational talent being pissed away.

Friggin Idiots....

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771920 is a reply to message #771915 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Same old garbage with this team. Can't defend.

Vancouver, Winnipeg and TO are going to light the Oilers up this year.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771922 is a reply to message #771920 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 22:46

Even the Cowtowners and Sens are going to pot a few against this team.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771930 is a reply to message #771922 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Nurse, Larsson, Nuge. Uncomfortable, absent minded, invisible.

Worst of all.... Harnarayan Singh.

He got a lot of love in the GDT and I wholeheartedly disagree. I wanted to mute him, but didn’t because he was so docile. He was quiet and didn’t know the Canuck players at times. His saving grace was the Yamamoto goal call and that reminded me of the “Boom goes the Dynamite “ guy.

I missed Kevin Quinn tonight.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 January 2021 23:07]

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771935 is a reply to message #771922 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 22:47

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 22:46

Even the Cowtowners and Sens are going to pot a few against this team.

The fear is real..

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771931 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Anyone notice how our wingers always seem to be the most surprised guys on the ice that our D ring the puck around the boards? While the opposing teams seem to always run down the boards waiting for our pass to them as soon as guys like Nurse and Larsson get the puck down low.

What this suggests to me is that the ring around the boards works very well for our D in practice :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771933 is a reply to message #771931 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

That was patehtic effort. Not sure how Oilers win even one game out of 56.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771934 is a reply to message #771931 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 13 January 2021 23:06

Anyone notice how our wingers always seem to be the most surprised guys on the ice that our D ring the puck around the boards? While the opposing teams seem to always run down the boards waiting for our pass to them as soon as guys like Nurse and Larsson get the puck down low.

What this suggests to me is that the ring around the boards works very well for our D in practice :)

I needed a laugh, and that sure helped.

Who knows?

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771936 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Wed, 13 January 2021 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

KoeKoe looked good, Yamo is a force, Barrie will be great on the PP lots more movement than Kbom.

I see why JJK was waived, starting where he left off last year, a minus.

I don't need to see Chaisson either, slow feet, no hits, no hands, there has to be a better alternative for the PP.

Kassian, no hits, no forecheck, no effort, no engagement.. leaving off from last playoffs.

Nuge.. does this guy know he's playing for a new contract? That cap hit just dropped. Ineffective and Weak ass effort.

How com every time they have a ceremony to honour an Oiler alumni, like tonight, they put in an embarrassing effort and crap the bed ..

Start McLeod tomorrow, #4 C or #1 winger with McD.

Oh.. and I really liked Jesse P tonight, great effort and board work, chased down Hughes a few times, his chances will come. He's a different player from when he left.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 January 2021 23:43]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771937 is a reply to message #771936 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia is currently online Leia

No Cups

Managed to sleep up till the 3rd period and I was in luck 10 seconds of watching the Oilers this season goal..... That was the highlight for getting up at 4am.

From what I saw we struggled once more to clear the puck and gave up to many chances, not sure if was me, but unlike last season, I just didn't feel confident with Koski in goal.

Telling point was Tip's post match presser, he sounded so annoyed and called out individuals on goals, were we not playing again tonight I'm sure he'd have them bag skating for a couple of hours this morning. We can but hope for a better showing.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771938 is a reply to message #771937 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 00:56

Managed to sleep up till the 3rd period and I was in luck 10 seconds of watching the Oilers this season goal..... That was the highlight for getting up at 4am.

From what I saw we struggled once more to clear the puck and gave up to many chances, not sure if was me, but unlike last season, I just didn't feel confident with Koski in goal.

Telling point was Tip's post match presser, he sounded so annoyed and called out individuals on goals, were we not playing again tonight I'm sure he'd have them bag skating for a couple of hours this morning. We can but hope for a better showing.

I thought Koskinen was okay tonight. Not great. Mostly hung out to dry on their goals - turnovers in our zone, guys ALL alone in scoring position. But Holtby made a few great saves, and Koskinen really didn't. And he's gotta stop that 5th goal. The shot wasn't from a great angle. Got tipped up a little by Koekkoek, but even so, he's a big goalie, and that shouldn't beat him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771939 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

First game of the year with no preseason. Lots of new guys to fit in. Things will get better.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771942 is a reply to message #771939 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Only watched the first period and a half, as it was late here, but some things I noticed:

Why is it that our veteran players who should know better go completely AWOL when it comes to covering their man? Classic example on that first goal with Larsson inexplicably skating across the ice to make a hit on someone who was zero threat, leaving his man wide open. It's been happening regularly every year for as long as I can remember, and both defensemen and forwards are guilty of it.
I didn't grow up playing hockey, but did play all kinds of team sports, and making sure that your guy is covered is something you learn at a pretty early level. How these "best of the best" players are still making basic mistakes like that completely boggles my mind.

I thought JP had a lot of bounce in his step. Was always noticeable (in a good way) when he was on the ice. I wish the Kassian experiment on that first line would just end, and that we would put a skilled winger there instead. Doesn't need to be JP, though I think he's a far better fit there than Kassian.

Koskinen looked ok to me. Not much he could have done on any of the goals that I saw - his team didn't help him one bit.

Koekkoek looked pretty solid on the back end, and I liked the way Barrie moved the puck around. I do wish he'd be a little more selfish at times rather than always deferring to McDavid or Drai, but I imagine that'll come in time. Didn't miss the human starfish out there one bit.

Glad they're playing again tonight - hopefully they can bounce back from what was a pretty sloppy effort all around in that first one.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771948 is a reply to message #771939 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 02:18

First game of the year with no preseason. Lots of new guys to fit in. Things will get better.

This my biggest observation overall as well. Almost all aspects of the team have new players or returning one moved into new roles. Takes time to adjust and there wasnt that time in preseason this year.
My concerns about being able to defend and goaltend are still there but I am hopeful that the sloppiness (and downright ugliness at times) will go away a bit each game

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771949 is a reply to message #771948 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

That announcer was friggin TERRIBLE! Didn’t think a PBP could have that much affect on a game but my god was he boring, totally killed the vibe for opening night. Already missing Quinn...let’s hope Michael’s is good tonight or at least call up Hrudey cuz I can’t be lulled to sleep for another game

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771954 is a reply to message #771949 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 09:31

That announcer was friggin TERRIBLE! Didn’t think a PBP could have that much affect on a game but my god was he boring, totally killed the vibe for opening night. Already missing Quinn...let’s hope Michael’s is good tonight or at least call up Hrudey cuz I can’t be lulled to sleep for another game

I’m genuinely excited for Jack. I liked Quinn, quite a bit actually, but often found him to be monotone.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #772029 is a reply to message #771954 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 15:37 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 07:42

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 09:31

I’m genuinely excited for Jack. I liked Quinn, quite a bit actually, but often found him to be monotone.

Compared to last night's guy Quinn had the tonal range of a philharmonic orchestra .. Boom-goes -the-dynamite..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771957 is a reply to message #771948 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Agree with others that we have a pretty significant roster turnover so it will take sometime. You see patterns though with inability to defend and new players not certain how to work with McD. Barrie had the shot but hesitated back to McD not looking for other options. Drai getting too fancy with Kahun and forgetting defensive responsibilities. Nurse with a brick between his ears - can't think the game and now that he got his goal we are going to see dumb pinches all year cause he thinks he's an offensive dman. Caleb Jones still learning - I know this wont be popular but I think russell should play more and let young dman take time. Koski wasnt bad but not great - generally a product of overall defence. Draws were an issue. Turris not noticeable in a good way. JJ floating - apparently waivers didnt catch his attention time to move on. Good notes McD was generating even though he didn't convert, Koekkoek looked good, Barries defense wasn't poor for a 3rd pair, Archie had a good game, Pool Party engaged so onward and upwards. Tonights lineup and effort will tell us more about this teams resolve.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771941 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

My power went out just before the Moss tribute, came on just to see the puck drop and then she went back out... it’s on now, came back on 18 minutes ago. I decided to sit in the dark, finish my glass of wine then told gave the pup a pet and said time for bed. Snuggled up to the wife and had a more productive evening than the Oilers. I got pucks deep, went to the net, was hard on the forecheck... even blocked a shot headed straight for my net. Some nights it’s okay but I needed total offense last night.

Anyway. Game 1. Screw your heads on right and be better tomorrow/today.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771960 is a reply to message #771941 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Maybe it's just me being extra sensitive this morning but I listened to some of the post game interviews and Larsson's interview just really pissed me off. It was all we did this, we did that, we have to make better reads, we, we, we. Does the whole team need to be better? Yes but look in the freaking mirror buddy and take some responsibility for your own play.

You are a defensive dman. You aren't a burner skating wise, you aren't a good puck mover, you aren't an offensive dman though he did score a rare goal. His game is defense, keeping good position and being a pain to play against. If he doesn't do that, he doesn't give you anything positive. He was lousy. So own it for a change. You were on for 3 goals against and looked clueless. The first goal against was what you'd expect to see a junior player in a preseason game do. He's 28 yrs old, been in the league for over 10 yrs, has over 500 games of experience. You had the winger doing his job, tying up the man against the boards at the blueline. He's neutralized. He didn't have to do ANYTHING but stay in his position and wait for the puck to come loose. Yet your decision as a 10 yr NHL vet defensive dman is to skate across the ice and go for the hit!!! The Canuck didn't even have to make an amazing pass, all he had to do was wildly fling the puck into an area and Horvat who was WAY behind on the play could just skate up and have a breakaway from damn near the blueline.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771961 is a reply to message #771907 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Positives: Kahun, McDavid could have had 3 points. JP made some good plays. Getting 3 goals when McD and Drai are shut out is a good start. Vancouver won’t keep 97 off the score sheet twice in a row so if the depth keeps it up we split the series.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #771970 is a reply to message #771961 ]
Thu, 14 January 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 14 January 2021 08:59

Positives: Kahun, McDavid could have had 3 points. JP made some good plays. Getting 3 goals when McD and Drai are shut out is a good start. Vancouver won’t keep 97 off the score sheet twice in a row so if the depth keeps it up we split the series.

I thought McD was invisible in the first. Looked dangerous in the second and probably should have had at least 1 or 2 goals. I didn't think he got much done in the 3rd.

I did like the Kahun - Drai - Yamo line. They were buzzing all night. It sure looks like Kahun and Drai have chemistry, Kahun just needed more finish and I thought he was a little unlucky not to get 1. He was late to camp so I chalk that up to just needing to get the hands going a little more but it's encouraging.

I didn't mind the look on the PP with Barrie, I would just like to see him shoot the puck more rather than defer so much. He had several really good looks where he could/should have took a shot, worst case he causes a rebound but he passed it back. New guy to the team and that PP, I get you don't want to be "selfish", happens all the time BUT you were brought in because of a certain skill set. Do what you do best. I hope the coaches and especially guys like McD and Leon had a chat after the game and let him know it's OK, do what you do, we won't be mad.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Shore signed, 700K 2way deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca