This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, BenningPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772914 is a reply to message #771001 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 17:25

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 15:11

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Hearing Andreas Athanasiou will be joining LA on a one-year deal.

I think this is going to come in around $1.2M

He turned down I believe a >2M AAV 2 year deal from us thinking he could make more as a UFA.

I was very wrong on his market value and so was his agent.

Good bet by the Kings though.

I was wrong about him getting close to his qualifying offer from another team.

May not have been wrong about him living up to the value of his qualifying deal. Good for him for rebounding from a bad season last year.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772915 is a reply to message #772914 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 16:40

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 17:25

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 15:11

He turned down I believe a >2M AAV 2 year deal from us thinking he could make more as a UFA.

I was very wrong on his market value and so was his agent.

Good bet by the Kings though.

I was wrong about him getting close to his qualifying offer from another team.

May not have been wrong about him living up to the value of his qualifying deal. Good for him for rebounding from a bad season last year.

For sure, happy for him but that shooting % ain’t gonna stay

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771009 is a reply to message #770999 ]
Mon, 28 December 2020 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 16:11

Todd is gonna love the kids work ethic.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771017 is a reply to message #771009 ]
Tue, 29 December 2020 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 28 December 2020 20:23

Tough to even comment on his work ethic since his sample size was so small, but I agree that he’s probably not a TMac kind of player.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771019 is a reply to message #771017 ]
Tue, 29 December 2020 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 29 December 2020 07:38

Tough to even comment on his work ethic since his sample size was so small, but I agree that he’s probably not a TMac kind of player.

To be fair McLellan made irreversible decisions on players on much smaller sample sizes...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771030 is a reply to message #771019 ]
Tue, 29 December 2020 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 29 December 2020 09:58

To be fair McLellan made irreversible decisions on players on much smaller sample sizes...

Precisely why I felt it appropriate. I was beyond pumped when Holland acquired him. But.. well. Ya. All the best AA.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771032 is a reply to message #771030 ]
Tue, 29 December 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 29 December 2020 10:42

Precisely why I felt it appropriate. I was beyond pumped when Holland acquired him. But.. well. Ya. All the best AA.

Forgot Todd was there. Man, this could end up a very bad decision by AA and his agent. He's lucky he's not RUssian at least, maybe he has a shot :) As long as no one in the media suggests to Todd that he try AA on the top line at least, then he's still screwed.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771198 is a reply to message #771032 ]
Tue, 05 January 2021 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 29 December 2020 11:40

Forgot Todd was there. Man, this could end up a very bad decision by AA and his agent. He's lucky he's not RUssian at least, maybe he has a shot :) As long as no one in the media suggests to Todd that he try AA on the top line at least, then he's still screwed.

And so it begins:
Quote:

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP

“We signed him because we believe we have a very hungry, motivated player. We expect him to commit to playing both sides of the puck.” - LAK Todd McLellan on Andreas Anthanasiou

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771199 is a reply to message #771198 ]
Tue, 05 January 2021 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 14:40

And so it begins:
Quote:

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP

“We signed him because we believe we have a very hungry, motivated player. We expect him to commit to playing both sides of the puck.” - LAK Todd McLellan on Andreas Anthanasiou

Why not, "We're excited to have AA, we think he'll bring something explosive to the team"? Why coach passive aggressively through the media? The McLellan years were wasted years.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771201 is a reply to message #771199 ]
Tue, 05 January 2021 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 15:14

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 14:40

And so it begins:
Quote:

Dennis Bernstein
@DennisTFP

Why not, "We're excited to have AA, we think he'll bring something explosive to the team"? Why coach passive aggressively through the media? The McLellan years were wasted years.

I guess at least we didn't waste a team that was like 1/2 all-star team for many years with him. Wait until all those guys were broken down mid/late 30's guys to finally try another coach. Poor SJ fans.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771204 is a reply to message #771201 ]
Tue, 05 January 2021 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Can AA be motivated?

I would have thought going from an almost historically bad team in Detroit to the at the time 1st/2nd place Oilers with the chance to play with one of McD or Drai, 2 centers who are top 10 in the league would have been motivation for him. But it wasn't. Then I thought the chance to come back with the Oilers and again probably play with one of McD or Leon would have been a motivation for him to. But it wasn't. He turned down what now appears to be an extremely more than fair contract all so he could go to market during maybe the worst market conditions the league has seen maybe ever.

So I have my doubts this guy can be motivated much. I don't know if McLellan is the type of coach to get it out of him.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771206 is a reply to message #771204 ]
Tue, 05 January 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 16:23

Can AA be motivated?

I would have thought going from an almost historically bad team in Detroit to the at the time 1st/2nd place Oilers with the chance to play with one of McD or Drai, 2 centers who are top 10 in the league would have been motivation for him. But it wasn't. Then I thought the chance to come back with the Oilers and again probably play with one of McD or Leon would have been a motivation for him to. But it wasn't. He turned down what now appears to be an extremely more than fair contract all so he could go to market during maybe the worst market conditions the league has seen maybe ever.

So I have my doubts this guy can be motivated much. I don't know if McLellan is the type of coach to get it out of him.

Time will tell, but from what I've seen, this kid just wants to fly and try to score. He has speed and some scoring talent. I think his odds of being able to just have fun and try to put up points with minimal care about his own zone are low with McLellan. Not sure who would have been a better choice. Maybe guys like Krueger, Laviolette, Kueefe, Sullivan, Blashill again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771207 is a reply to message #771204 ]
Tue, 05 January 2021 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Can AA be motivated?

You can't get upset at players for making bets on themselves. He and his representatives thought that they could get more on the open market than they were being offered by the Oilers. They bet wrong and he's paying a price for that.

I think he made a second mistake choosing Los Angeles, because he's playing for a passive aggressive coach who makes up his mind quickly about players and then won't change it. His reputation alone probably has sunk him with the Kings before he plays his first shift there.

We'll see though!

For what it's worth, we've benefitted from a couple of others who made the same unfortunate bet - I'll wager that Kahun thought he'd be getting paid a lot more than he currently is after his last season in Buffalo.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771236 is a reply to message #771207 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 17:23

Can AA be motivated?

You can't get upset at players for making bets on themselves. He and his representatives thought that they could get more on the open market than they were being offered by the Oilers. They bet wrong and he's paying a price for that.

I think he made a second mistake choosing Los Angeles, because he's playing for a passive aggressive coach who makes up his mind quickly about players and then won't change it. His reputation alone probably has sunk him with the Kings before he plays his first shift there.

We'll see though!

For what it's worth, we've benefitted from a couple of others who made the same unfortunate bet - I'll wager that Kahun thought he'd be getting paid a lot more than he currently is after his last season in Buffalo.

I am not sure where I said I was angry or upset, I just said I assumed he would take a certain action because it gave him the best chance to succeed. I'd like to thank AA for turning down the Oilers offer. The 2 mill he would have got was used to secure Ennis AND Kahun. I feel pretty confident in saying that the combination of Ennis and Kahun will outscore whatever AA can put up on his own. I feel pretty confident in saying that Ennis and Kahun will be much better 5 on 5 players not just in scoring that I mentioned but overall play which is the main area the Oilers need to improve on. On top of that, it gives the Oilers more depth because they got 2 good players for what it would have cost for just him.

So thank you AA for betting on yourself or however a person wants to frame his decision not to accept the Oilers offer because it made the Oilers a far better team.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771270 is a reply to message #771236 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

And some familiar programming for the coming season. Not worthy of a thread of its own.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnet-announces-mul ti-year-rights-extension-flames-oilers/

“Oilers fans deserve the very best television broadcast possible - from production to technology, analysis and innovation, we know Sportsnet is committed to working with us to make our content a best in class experience that is true to what Oil Country hockey is all about,” said Tom Anselmi, Business President & COO, Oilers Entertainment Group. “Sportsnet has been a trusted partner for the past decade in delivering Oilers hockey to our fans and we are thrilled to continue our relationship for the next four years.”

Guess we will have lots of Gene Principe and Drew Remenda to look forward to.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771278 is a reply to message #771270 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 12:42

And some familiar programming for the coming season. Not worthy of a thread of its own.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnet-announces-mul ti-year-rights-extension-flames-oilers/

“Oilers fans deserve the very best television broadcast possible - from production to technology, analysis and innovation, we know Sportsnet is committed to working with us to make our content a best in class experience that is true to what Oil Country hockey is all about,” said Tom Anselmi, Business President & COO, Oilers Entertainment Group. “Sportsnet has been a trusted partner for the past decade in delivering Oilers hockey to our fans and we are thrilled to continue our relationship for the next four years.”

Guess we will have lots of Gene Principe and Drew Remenda to look forward to.

I'm in Vancouver, I always have to shell out $$$$ to get Center ice to see the Oilers on Sportsnet, its the Canucks blacking out games claiming "regional broadcast rights" (scared of losing fans to other teams), with this new Canada League, it'll be interesting if these bull$___ "regional blackouts" will be lifted because they'll only play 6 other teams, Sportsnet might insist to show all games, EVERYWHERE, so they can sell more advertising. As far as I'm concerned I shouldn't have to get Center Ice to watch Oil games this year..

Also, Shaw still owes me money for the games lost on Center Ice last year.. Fkn Fkrs !

With the shortened season NHL should charge less for Center Ice anyway, plus now that all the games the Oilers play are in Canada, I'm only watching 6 other teams.. their package price should be 32% less cost just based on reduced games, plus the number of teams your team plays is less..

Anyone hear yet what Sportsnet, and/or Center Ice are proposing for TV schedules?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771290 is a reply to message #771278 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 14:06

Anyone hear yet what Sportsnet, and/or Center Ice are proposing for TV schedules?

Hopefully nightly doubleheaders.

Likely, it'll be the same as normal. A lot of regional games + national broadcasts on Wednesday and Saturday.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771295 is a reply to message #771290 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 14:28

Likely, it'll be the same as normal. A lot of regional games + national broadcasts on Wednesday and Saturday.

The blackouts are so dumb. For every viewer you force to watch your one feed, how many are you preventing from watching?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771304 is a reply to message #771295 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 14:33

The blackouts are so dumb. For every viewer you force to watch your one feed, how many are you preventing from watching?

So dumb. For a league that begging for eyeballs why wouldn't they try to make access easier so they can expand rather than soak the small number they're already clinging to.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771315 is a reply to message #771304 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 15:06

So dumb. For a league that begging for eyeballs why wouldn't they try to make access easier so they can expand rather than soak the small number they're already clinging to.

Especially now when it just encourages illegal streaming of the feed. Make it easily available at a reasonable price and people will pay to watch it. Block it, and they'll just do end runs. In none of those situations do they just watch the stupid Jets or Canucks because they can't watch the Oilers.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #771334 is a reply to message #771315 ]
Wed, 06 January 2021 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 15:23

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 January 2021 15:06

Especially now when it just encourages illegal streaming of the feed. Make it easily available at a reasonable price and people will pay to watch it. Block it, and they'll just do end runs. In none of those situations do they just watch the stupid Jets or Canucks because they can't watch the Oilers.

Exactly, they think they can force feed it down peoples throats, people have other options, pirate feeds, or just don't freaking bother watching it... I never understood regional NHL franchises blacking out feeds to other NHL teams (even when their team isn't playing) .. only thing I came up with is they think that some guy in BC watching C. McDavid and the Oilers a few times a week will turn into an Oiler fan, and take away from their fan base.. All about manipulation of the public .

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772907 is a reply to message #767715 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

AA's start in LA.

3 shots
3 goals
1 shot for 1 goal in each of his first 3 games.

This is a record. Never been done before.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772911 is a reply to message #772907 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 14:24

AA's start in LA.

3 shots
3 goals

AA strikes me as one of those players who excels on crap teams and everyone goes "imagine what he could do with better players". Then he goes to a better team and he sucks.

At some point if he has a decent year, I fully expect a segment of fans to whine and moan about Oilers management screwing it up and letting him go even though they did offer him a fair contract and he said no. Then those same fans would have been whining and moaning about the overpaid contract it took to keep him.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772930 is a reply to message #772911 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 17:52 Go to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 16:02

AA's start in LA.

3 shots
3 goals

AA strikes me as one of those players who excels on crap teams and everyone goes "imagine what he could do with better players". Then he goes to a better team and he sucks.

At some point if he has a decent year, I fully expect a segment of fans to whine and moan about Oilers management screwing it up and letting him go even though they did offer him a fair contract and he said no. Then those same fans would have been whining and moaning about the overpaid contract it took to keep him.

Agree.
I cant promise the future but I dont think I will be one of those. You mention the contract offer, it seemed fair and I understand both parties reason for walking away.
If he does have a great year, or even becomes a multi goal scorer I will say it worked out poorly but sometimes you make the right decision at the right time and it still bites you in the ass. Thats the unpredictability of sports.

I see him as a pretty streaky guy. There isnt anyone thinking his 100% shooting percentage will continue.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772913 is a reply to message #772907 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 January 2021 15:24

AA's start in LA.

3 shots
3 goals

Kings make the playoffs and AA wins the Hart

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers not qualifying Athanasiou, Benning [message #772917 is a reply to message #772907 ]
Wed, 20 January 2021 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

AA's start in LA.

3 shots
3 goals

Reminds me of Fabian Brunnstrom.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #5)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#40) - Ryan McLeod
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca