This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kris Russell Extension Incoming!
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768700]
Wed, 21 October 2020 11:34 Go to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Per the Elliotte Friedman, 1 year extension in the works.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1318965622320091136

Not kidding...

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768701 is a reply to message #768700 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 11:34

Per the Elliotte Friedman, 1 year extension in the works.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1318965622320091136

Not kidding...

lol, yeah, we never even tried to trade this guy to improve the team. The org loves him.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768703 is a reply to message #768701 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Seems like a move for expansion as they have to have a dman to expose which he have talked about. So they would need to do something. Please be for not a lot of money.

I guess that explains why they didn't trade him.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 October 2020 11:49]

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768707 is a reply to message #768703 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 10:47

Seems like a move for expansion as they have to have a dman to expose which he have talked about. So they would need to do something. Please be for not a lot of money.

That is just rhetoric.

It’s pretty silly to sign bad players for the sake of an expansion draft. Working under the assumption that Seattle will take Kris Russell is a dangerous assumption. One that could see him leaking goals here for two more years.

Find better players, lose better players. It’s a good problem to have.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768709 is a reply to message #768707 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 11:53

That is just rhetoric.

It’s pretty silly to sign bad players for the sake of an expansion draft. Working under the assumption that Seattle will take Kris Russell is a dangerous assumption. One that could see him leaking goals here for two more years.

Agreed - there is time to worry about the expansion draft after this season. There is no good reason to sign Kris Russell to an extension now - and he is extremely unlikely to be the guy taken so we just end up with another season from the player who scored 3 own-goals in a 4 game playoff series. That's ridiculous.

The Oilers should be doing what they can to get rid of Russell, not looking to extend him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768711 is a reply to message #768707 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

That is just rhetoric.

I'm not going to get into an argument for the 1000th time about Russell. I am not a fan of his but he's an NHL dman and if he's paid accordingly, I am not going to lose sleep over signing him for 1 yr.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768712 is a reply to message #768711 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 12:07

That is just rhetoric.

I'm not going to get into an argument for the 1000th time about Russell. I am not a fan of his but he's an NHL dman and if he's paid accordingly, I am not going to lose sleep over signing him for 1 yr.

I guess we should make sure we didn't give him a NMC again before hoping it's for expansion :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768714 is a reply to message #768712 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 12:12

That is just rhetoric.

I guess we should make sure we didn't give him a NMC again before hoping it's for expansion :)

I would assume that's automatic. I am listening to Stauffer and he mentioned he expects it to be in the low 1's. He's the mouth piece of the team.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768718 is a reply to message #768714 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 12:18

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 12:12

That is just rhetoric.

I would assume that's automatic. I am listening to Stauffer and he mentioned he expects it to be in the low 1's. He's the mouth piece of the team.

We sure are generous...

Geez. What a joke. Here's praying that the negotiations fall apart.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768704 is a reply to message #768700 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

It's about expansion. The Oilers only have Nurse, Bear, and Jones eligible to expose, so this gives them a player they *shouldn't* mind losing. He'll have the minimum number of games played in a career and this season.

So I understand the Russell extension, I just don't necessarily agree with it.

Given his unique cap situation (low real dollars, high cap), I think you could have turned that into an asset from a low revenue cap floor team, while signing another defenseman who is just as capable (or moreso) to a 2-year deal. Koekkoek, Del Zotto being examples.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768734 is a reply to message #768700 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I think the expansion exposure is the main purpose, helps prevent you losing a good future asset, you have had to pay Seattle an asset to not take a guy you wanted, and KRusty is a serviceable NHL D-man.. one injury during the season and we'd be giving up draft picks to get a veteran d-man, that could be worse. During the play-in he was one of the better d-men.

I would have liked to move on from Krusty to something better, but I can see the purpose.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768735 is a reply to message #768700 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ is currently online MJ

No Cups

Must be about the quickest a rumour becomes news!

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2041973/oilers-sign-kris-r ussell-to-1-year-extension

The Edmonton Oilers inked defenseman Kris Russell to a one-year, $1.25M contract extension through the 2021-22 season, the club announced Wednesday.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768736 is a reply to message #768735 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

1 year for 1.25 is not a horrible contract. Pretty much bury the whole thing if you had too. I may have rolled the dice on someone else but I don't hate it. Serves a purpose I guess.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768737 is a reply to message #768736 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 14:47

1 year for 1.25 is not a horrible contract. Pretty much bury the whole thing if you had too. I may have rolled the dice on someone else but I don't hate it. Serves a purpose I guess.

What purpose is that? This is not about the expansion draft. That's a full season away.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768748 is a reply to message #768737 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 14:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 14:47

What purpose is that? This is not about the expansion draft. That's a full season away.

Don't know but I am not going to get worked up about it.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768743 is a reply to message #768700 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

I got a text from a buddy saying this and hadnt seen any news yet and thought he was kidding. No way it could be possible.

All I can do is laugh TBH. It just seems like such a useless thing to do.

- Signed for cheap? So what, by next season his salary should be zero.
- need players to expose for the expansion? That is not a problem to solve now by signing a player that is borderline useless now and will be by next year
- if he is in the top 6 in 21/21 the Oilers will not be a playoff team. Not simply because of Russell but it means that no one passed him.
- I doubt it will have any real effect on ANYTHING as he wont be in the top 6 next year, he wont be taken by the Kraken, he will sit in the pressbox telling war stories of the old days blocking shots.

Anyone defending this move that isnt on the Oilers payroll has lost all sense of objectivity. There is no upside to this in any scenario.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768766 is a reply to message #768743 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 15:11

I got a text from a buddy saying this and hadnt seen any news yet and thought he was kidding. No way it could be possible.

All I can do is laugh TBH. It just seems like such a useless thing to do.

- Signed for cheap? So what, by next season his salary should be zero.
- need players to expose for the expansion? That is not a problem to solve now by signing a player that is borderline useless now and will be by next year
- if he is in the top 6 in 21/21 the Oilers will not be a playoff team. Not simply because of Russell but it means that no one passed him.
- I doubt it will have any real effect on ANYTHING as he wont be in the top 6 next year, he wont be taken by the Kraken, he will sit in the pressbox telling war stories of the old days blocking shots.

Anyone defending this move that isnt on the Oilers payroll has lost all sense of objectivity. There is no upside to this in any scenario.

There is a weird thing happening where people are talking as if Russell is making 1.25M this coming season. Seem to forget he's gonna play a big part in wasting cap space this year that will pretty much guarantee another season of having a shallow roster with his 4M cap hit.

I guess it is kind of a unique situation to be extending a 6/7 D a year early.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768767 is a reply to message #768743 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Hate his current contract. Love the 1 year extension. Quality 3rd pairing that brings intangibles that WIN in the playoffs. We have gotten to far into analytics and numbers which clouds true value of a player to a team. When we let Mark Hendricks go after the playoff run, it was a mistake. He brought a lot to this team that non of us overbearing, mom's basement couch GM's could even metabolize. The more I read twitter and this site, the more I realize the brutal state of human race and the overflowing realm of negativity. Just last week I was listening to NHL radio and an Oiler fan from Loyd called in and crushed the moves of Turris and Barri and said Holland had a piss poor offseason. The host continued the convo by saying the Oilers franchise was in a state of dissaray and a putrid mess. I was baffled. Anyway, my rant for the night. I am optimistic of the state of the franchise and look forward to seeing them play every other night in 2021.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768770 is a reply to message #768767 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 17:29

Hate his current contract. Love the 1 year extension. Quality 3rd pairing that brings intangibles that WIN in the playoffs. We have gotten to far into analytics and numbers which clouds true value of a player to a team. When we let Mark Hendricks go after the playoff run, it was a mistake. He brought a lot to this team that non of us overbearing, mom's basement couch GM's could even metabolize. The more I read twitter and this site, the more I realize the brutal state of human race and the overflowing realm of negativity. Just last week I was listening to NHL radio and an Oiler fan from Loyd called in and crushed the moves of Turris and Barri and said Holland had a piss poor offseason. The host continued the convo by saying the Oilers franchise was in a state of dissaray and a putrid mess. I was baffled. Anyway, my rant for the night. I am optimistic of the state of the franchise and look forward to seeing them play every other night in 2021.

I see where you are coming from 100% There is far too much negativity. Taking out my usual sarcasm here is how I see this based on your points;
- you mention him being a useful 3rd pairing defenseman. Accepting that as fact for last season, do you think he will be this coming season? How about the year after? Do you think he will be ahead of three, or even four other LHD on the team?
- RE; analytics. Take all of those out. I rarely look at them but understand them, the value and issues they present. There is very little on a nightly basis that he does to help the Oilers win that cant be easily replaced.
- I think Holland had a pretty good offseason. I like all of the moves outside of Smith and Russell.
- I type this from my own coach, not my moms basement (shoot, I was doing so good at leaving out sarcasm and such..)
- While putrid mess is a bit much I think disarray is pretty accurate. It isnt exactly Hollands fault as digging out of the Chia hole is not an enviable task. That said, the team has no identity out side of two star players they were handed in MCDavid and Drai. The defense is still well below NHL good and year after year we have hope but nothing tangible to expect it to improve. Goalies are the same, both literally and in hoping it is better than last year.

I am always excited for next year. It is the fate of an Oilers fan where hope has to overule logic and fact or none of us would still be holding on.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768772 is a reply to message #768767 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Wed, 21 October 2020 17:29

I’m not going to disagree that the Internet leans heavily to the negative side but Russell better be bringing some incredible intangibles to the rink. Looking at his playoffs he added no offence, while kicking three pucks into his own net. He was negative in almost every advanced stats category as well. And even if he had done well this playoffs, there’s no guarantee he won’t decline (further) by the end of next season.

We can debate the value of shot blocking but if that’s the extent of his benefits I would’ve taken Benning.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768790 is a reply to message #768772 ]
Thu, 22 October 2020 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Benning wanted to play, Russel will be fine in press box.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768841 is a reply to message #768790 ]
Fri, 23 October 2020 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

This article is sure to cause serious consternation around here, because of both the subject and the writer.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/kris-russell-proud-of-grunt-work-he-does-for-edmonton-oile rs/wcm/8c1297f7-61d1-44fd-b480-58a496b82675

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768845 is a reply to message #768841 ]
Sat, 24 October 2020 12:07 Go to previous message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Actually a very good article. Will not change the minds of those that already see him in a negative light. Great team guy, knows his limits and is exposed when team needs him to go beyond them.

Re: Kris Russell Extension Incoming! [message #768765 is a reply to message #768700 ]
Wed, 21 October 2020 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wendo @WendolynLamchop

The cowboy got extended

#LetsGoOilers #Oilers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ek4t19YVkAAWrxj?format=png&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:Oilers legend Joey Moss passes away at 57
Next Topic:Oilers sign Alan Quine
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca