This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Klefbom considering Injury OptionsPages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767257]
Wed, 30 September 2020 10:25 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

One situation EDM is monitoring: Oscar Klefbom is weighing options to deal with injuries from last season. One of the possibilities is surgery that could keep him out long-term (obviously, we don’t know when next season will begin). His absence would need to be addressed.

Uh oh. That's not good.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767260 is a reply to message #767257 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

HOW!! He's played 4 games 7 months.

As much as I like Klefbom and especially his contract, him being constantly hurt is a real problem and needs to be addressed. I don't care how good he is or how good his contract is, a player does nothing for the team being on the trainers table all the time. This guy is made of glass.

I wonder if he needs to have how he trains looked at because him constantly being injured is getting ridiculous.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767261 is a reply to message #767257 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 10:25

Quote:

Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC

One situation EDM is monitoring: Oscar Klefbom is weighing options to deal with injuries from last season. One of the possibilities is surgery that could keep him out long-term (obviously, we don’t know when next season will begin). His absence would need to be addressed.

Uh oh. That's not good.

What does Arizona love? LTIR! Here comes OEL!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767263 is a reply to message #767261 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Preferably the Yotes retain some of OEL's salary but if they don't, trade them Klefbom, another asset and make Russell part of the deal and the money matches up. If the Yotes don't care about winning and want to build again, put Klefbom on LTIR and all you are paying is Russell's 1.5 mill in real money. I don't know how you operate a team when you have to assume one of your better dmen is going to automatically miss at least 1/4 of the season no matter what.

I don't love the OEL contact as I see him as marginally better than Klefbom but not twice as expensive good but at least I know OEL will play.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767264 is a reply to message #767263 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 10:40

Preferably the Yotes retain some of OEL's salary but if they don't, trade them Klefbom, another asset and make Russell part of the deal and the money matches up. If the Yotes don't care about winning and want to build again, put Klefbom on LTIR and all you are paying is Russell's 1.5 mill in real money. I don't know how you operate a team when you have to assume one of your better dmen is going to automatically miss at least 1/4 of the season no matter what.

I don't love the OEL contact as I see him as marginally better than Klefbom but not twice as expensive good but at least I know OEL will play.

Klefbom's no movement, no trade clause would probably make that difficult.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/oscar-klefbom

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767265 is a reply to message #767264 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 10:46

Does not kick in until the 21-22 season. He has nothing for the season coming up. Unload him now while you can.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767267 is a reply to message #767264 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 10:46

I mean, who'd want to move to sunny Arizona vs 40-below-mon-ton. icon_biggrin

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767269 is a reply to message #767257 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ugh...What a great window of time we just lost where he could have got the surgery and be rehabbing already. All lost for the chance to stink it up against Chicago.

Dude better get on this ASAP. Get it over with. And in the mean time, try to trade him :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767277 is a reply to message #767269 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Explains the interest in OEL.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767301 is a reply to message #767269 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 10:11

Ugh...What a great window of time we just lost where he could have got the surgery and be rehabbing already. All lost for the chance to stink it up against Chicago.

Dude better get on this ASAP. Get it over with. And in the mean time, try to trade him :)

What a putz.
If its a shoulder he needs to pull the trigger on surgery, he's of no use skating around with eggs in his pockets, he should have done it right after they were eliminated. Guy has managed one 82 game season.

Oh well, so much for getting OEL.. or if he's long term.. maybe that's 4.16 cap worth of room?
If its a shortened season, he'll be sure out for the entirety, he's no McD when it comes to healing.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 September 2020 14:06]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767304 is a reply to message #767301 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 13:51

What a putz.
If its a shoulder he needs to pull the trigger on surgery, he's of no use skating around with eggs in his pockets, he should have done it right after they were eliminated. Guy has managed one 82 game season.

Oh well, so much for getting OEL.. or if he's long term.. maybe that's 4.16 cap worth of room?
If its a shortened season, he'll be sure out for the entirety, he's no McD when it comes to healing.

Wonder how much OEL really is in play. Saw some pictures of the mansion/compound he just completed in Arizona with a nice swimming pool in the middle :) With a full NMC...what a wild decision it would be for him to agree to come here.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767307 is a reply to message #767304 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 13:17

What a putz.

Wonder how much OEL really is in play. Saw some pictures of the mansion/compound he just completed in Arizona with a nice swimming pool in the middle :) With a full NMC...what a wild decision it would be for him to agree to come here.

Plus he'd lose $390,000 just on the tax differential (4.7%) on $8.25 M
Yeah, you're right I'd have a hard time leaving that place.. although in the summer its unlivable from the scorching heat.

Brian Laughton on Stauffer, (just started listening to Laughton, the guy is pretty sharp) he thinks a solid UFA D-man is T. Barrie, figures last season with the Leafs was an anomaly, outlier, thinks he'd be dynamite on the Oilers because the coaches will know how to use him properly, figured Leafs systems nullified his strengths. Most important strength he has is he's got quick feet, bonus that he can run a PP.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 September 2020 14:41]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767310 is a reply to message #767307 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 14:38

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 13:17

What a putz.

Plus he'd lose $390,000 just on the tax differential (4.7%) on $8.25 M
Yeah, you're right I'd have a hard time leaving that place.. although in the summer its unlivable from the scorching heat.

Brian Laughton on Stauffer, (just started listening to Laughton, the guy is pretty sharp) he thinks a solid UFA D-man is T. Barrie, figures last season with the Leafs was an anomaly, outlier, thinks he'd be dynamite on the Oilers because the coaches will know how to use him properly, figured Leafs systems nullified his strengths. Most important strength he has is he's got quick feet, bonus that he can run a PP.

Doesn't exactly look like a guy who would be dying to leave his cushy situation.

Here is a question. When he signed this current deal, the Yotes weren't exactly a team that was poised to win nor have they seen a lot of success during his time there. So when he signed that long term, big money deal, did he sign it thinking he would win there or was it his retirement deal that we see lots of guys do. Go find a nice place to live, sign a big money, long term deal then sit back collecting cheques. Rather than going to the gym to put in some extra work after practice if you were serious about getting better and winning, you are running to the golf course for an afternoon tee time.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767320 is a reply to message #767301 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What a putz.

Replying to you twice, hehe, but this time about Klef.

How on earth is he stringing out what to do about an injury again. I think he's messed up 2 of his seasons so far trying to avoid surgery and just trying to rehab stuff with a major detriment to his on ice play. If he still having nightmares about the staph infection? Wonder if we will ever see a 100% Klef again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767336 is a reply to message #767320 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 16:26

What a putz.

How on earth is he stringing out what to do about an injury again. I think he's messed up 2 of his seasons so far trying to avoid surgery and just trying to rehab stuff with a major detriment to his on ice play. If he still having nightmares about the staph infection? Wonder if we will ever see a 100% Klef again.

There is *some* speculation that retirement might be part of the considerations. I can't see it, and I don't know how credible that speculation really is. But it's out there.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767340 is a reply to message #767336 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 18:23

What a putz.

There is *some* speculation that retirement might be part of the considerations. I can't see it, and I don't know how credible that speculation really is. But it's out there.

Finally actually developing and keeping a decent defence man, only to retire early due to injury would be so very Oilers.

Hopefully if he’s gonna get something fixed (guessing shoulder) then do it now. Should have had it done before. But maybe the pandemic was a factor.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767342 is a reply to message #767340 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 20:35

What a putz.

Finally actually developing and keeping a decent defence man, only to retire early due to injury would be so very Oilers.

Hopefully if he’s gonna get something fixed (guessing shoulder) then do it now. Should have had it done before. But maybe the pandemic was a factor.

He's had shoulder issues for years.. but I don't recall him ever getting surgery.
Anybody remember surgery?
Can't believe he'd officially retire, you don't get paid if you retire, do you? Better to go on LTIR.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 September 2020 22:08]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767346 is a reply to message #767342 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 22:06

What a putz.

He's had shoulder issues for years.. but I don't recall him ever getting surgery.
Can't believe he'd officially retire, you don't get paid if you retire, do you? Better to go on LTIR.

Retirement would be nuts, and so sad. All I recall was a minor clean up surgery he got a couple years back that helped Nurse cash in after he hit a home run filling in.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/os car-klefboms-shoulder-should-be-fine-after-clean-up

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767351 is a reply to message #767346 ]
Wed, 30 September 2020 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 22:49

What a putz.

Retirement would be nuts, and so sad. All I recall was a minor clean up surgery he got a couple years back that helped Nurse cash in after he hit a home run filling in.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/os car-klefboms-shoulder-should-be-fine-after-clean-up

Klefbom had a surgery in 12/13 before he came over from Sweden. Then another minor one in 2018 that ended his season early. Oilers were out of the playoffs if I recall. I had forgotten but he went out for 2-3 weeks in February this year with a shoulder problem.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767366 is a reply to message #767351 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 23:55

What a putz.

Klefbom had a surgery in 12/13 before he came over from Sweden. Then another minor one in 2018 that ended his season early. Oilers were out of the playoffs if I recall. I had forgotten but he went out for 2-3 weeks in February this year with a shoulder problem.

Ahh, yes. He joined the oilers shoulder surgery club back in 2012:

https://oilersnation.com/2012/11/19/oscar-klefbom-may-underg o-shoulder-surgery-miss-the-remainder-of-the-season/

The staph infection was a few years later after a shot block.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oscar-klefbom-had-surgery-for-s taph-infection/

On and off shoulder issues for a long time, with the minor "clean up surgery" in 2018.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767433 is a reply to message #767366 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 October 2020 07:59

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 30 September 2020 23:55

What a putz.

Ahh, yes. He joined the oilers shoulder surgery club back in 2012:

https://oilersnation.com/2012/11/19/oscar-klefbom-may-underg o-shoulder-surgery-miss-the-remainder-of-the-season/

The staph infection was a few years later after a shot block.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oscar-klefbom-had-surgery-for-s taph-infection/

On and off shoulder issues for a long time, with the minor "clean up surgery" in 2018.

I'm thinking rotator cuff, if he had it repaired once already, and its now failed, could be less and less they can do, similar to a knee meniscus..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767353 is a reply to message #767336 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

What a putz.

This is getting worse by the minute!

I think there is a much bigger story here that we have very little detail. Tom Gazzola basically said he is taking a step back to think things over and that the shoulder thing is part of it but not all of it. He also said that Klefbom was not eager to go into the bubble and needed some convincing.

Retirement? Trade request? Take a year off in Sweden? I don’t know but the early signs is that the player is unhappy. Whether there is any truth to that, it sure seems like from Friedman’s tweet that the Oilers are in not in control of his medical issues.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2020 01:46]

Clean house or bust

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767360 is a reply to message #767353 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Klefbom has shoulder problems right after he was drafted I think. I know he had issues before he became an Oiler. Perhaps this is a reoccurring issue that will keep coming up. Who knows. A doctor can give you the options but it's up to the person to decide what to do as it's their body.

Maybe he needs time away. The bad part about this season is the start date might be a moving target so it could be harder to make plans on how long to take and then when to ramp up training again. If I was the Oilers, I would move on from him if you can. He's a real good player but red flags are popping up more and more. If it worked out maybe a team like the Yotes would take him. They seem to be back in rebuild mode and want to cut costs. They have been a team that has no problems taking on players on LTIR. IF Klefbom needs a year away, they could take him, put him on LTIR, be bad, collect your assets then in a year you have hopefully a healthy player on a much cheaper deal than OEL who's maybe not as good as OEL but still a good player.

For the Oilers, they need to start winning and while a good player on a good contract, he does nothing for you if he's hurt a lot which is the case.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767432 is a reply to message #767353 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 01 October 2020 00:42

What a putz.

This is getting worse by the minute!

I think there is a much bigger story here that we have very little detail. Tom Gazzola basically said he is taking a step back to think things over and that the shoulder thing is part of it but not all of it. He also said that Klefbom was not eager to go into the bubble and needed some convincing.

Retirement? Trade request? Take a year off in Sweden? I don’t know but the early signs is that the player is unhappy. Whether there is any truth to that, it sure seems like from Friedman’s tweet that the Oilers are in not in control of his medical issues.

I didn't hear Gazzola, but that explains a lot, Kbomb definitely looked like he didn't prepare to play playoff hockey, or had his head into it, no intensity in his game, maybe he has a hot actress/model girlfriend back in Sweden.. ? or he's looking at his bank account and sayin' .. hmmm I'm kinda good, how many millions does one guy need?

If she's living in Sweden during the season.. I'd consider retiring as well if that was waiting for me back there :)
https://nhlhockeywags.tumblr.com/image/140524602661

https://www.nwt.se/2020/01/13/nhl-stjarnan-klefbom-om-fiske- udda-fans-och-karleken-till-hammaro/

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2020 18:13]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767562 is a reply to message #767432 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

He's got reoccurring shoulder problems. He missed time before the stoppage to get it cleaned up. Whatever that means. Then he had 4.5 months to heal, get rehab, get opinions, do whatever he was supposed to do with the shoulder. He comes back for 3 weeks in August and supposedly wasn't 100% after 4.5 months. He was awful in the play in. Now another 2 months have gone by, so more time to heal, rehab, get assessed and he is still thinking about what to do.

So in 7 months, he's played 3 weeks of hockey. How much more time does a person need to think about what do to? If in almost 7 months, it's still not good, chances are you need surgery. I get that no one wants surgery but at what point does a person need to make a decision so you can let your employer know what is happening so they can make the appropriate moves? So in my opinion, he either needs to decide to get surgery or shut himself down long term to try the healing and rehab route. Either way, make a decision. It's been 7.5 months.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767563 is a reply to message #767562 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 09:49

He's got reoccurring shoulder problems. He missed time before the stoppage to get it cleaned up. Whatever that means. Then he had 4.5 months to heal, get rehab, get opinions, do whatever he was supposed to do with the shoulder. He comes back for 3 weeks in August and supposedly wasn't 100% after 4.5 months. He was awful in the play in. Now another 2 months have gone by, so more time to heal, rehab, get assessed and he is still thinking about what to do.

So in 7 months, he's played 3 weeks of hockey. How much more time does a person need to think about what do to? If in almost 7 months, it's still not good, chances are you need surgery. I get that no one wants surgery but at what point does a person need to make a decision so you can let your employer know what is happening so they can make the appropriate moves? So in my opinion, he either needs to decide to get surgery or shut himself down long term to try the healing and rehab route. Either way, make a decision. It's been 7.5 months.

Shoulders heal very slowly though. And I imagine the rehab, which he’s gone through twice, is awful. With diminishing chances of it being fully repaired as well, I get the hesitancy. He won’t retire though. Standard practice is going on LTIR forever and collecting a pay cheque until your contract is finished.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767565 is a reply to message #767563 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 09:56

Shoulders heal very slowly though. And I imagine the rehab, which he’s gone through twice, is awful. With diminishing chances of it being fully repaired as well, I get the hesitancy. He won’t retire though. Standard practice is going on LTIR forever and collecting a pay cheque until your contract is finished.

I get that. Once a shoulder is hurt it probably won't ever be the same but Klefbom needs to make a call so the team can make arrangements one way or the other. He's had 7.5 months, make a call. Even if he isn't sure surgery is what he wants yet, at least decide to shut yourself down. The last thing he should do is sit around for another month or 2 then December comes and say "Well i am getting surgery now". Then the Oilers are screwed.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767564 is a reply to message #767562 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I assume there's more going on that we aren't party to here, and that there have likely been discussions between Klefbom's camp, the Oilers and possibly multiple doctors.

This is someone's health we are talking about, so it makes sense that they're being diligent. I'm sure he's not waiting just to anger you and screw over the team you love. There are probably doctors involved who are telling everyone what the pros and cons are of the different options.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that this is just a game, and these are actually real people not toy monkeys dancing for your pleasure, but it's good to step back and appreciate that some times.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767567 is a reply to message #767564 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 10:02

I assume there's more going on that we aren't party to here, and that there have likely been discussions between Klefbom's camp, the Oilers and possibly multiple doctors.

This is someone's health we are talking about, so it makes sense that they're being diligent. I'm sure he's not waiting just to anger you and screw over the team you love. There are probably doctors involved who are telling everyone what the pros and cons are of the different options.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that this is just a game, and these are actually real people not toy monkeys dancing for your pleasure, but it's good to step back and appreciate that some times.

I get that. I am hopeful that he has told the team he won't be available whether that means he rests and rehabs for another 6 months or gets surgery which means he will forsure be out the year. At least make a call on your availability. The last thing I want to see happen is he takes month or 2 months to think about it, then comes back and says I am done for the year.

Yes this is a game but they are also a business and just like every other business, an employee can't just leave their employer twisting in the wind with unknowns.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767568 is a reply to message #767567 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 10:08

I get that. I am hopeful that he has told the team he won't be available whether that means he rests and rehabs for another 6 months or gets surgery which means he will forsure be out the year. At least make a call on your availability. The last thing I want to see happen is he takes month or 2 months to think about it, then comes back and says I am done for the year.

Yes this is a game but they are also a business and just like every other business, an employee can't just leave their employer twisting in the wind with unknowns.

Actually, I'm pretty sure if you need surgery or other serious medical treatments, you still get to pick when you have it...pretty much no matter what industry you work in.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767569 is a reply to message #767568 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 10:10

Actually, I'm pretty sure if you need surgery or other serious medical treatments, you still get to pick when you have it...pretty much no matter what industry you work in.

You sure do have the right to pick when you want it but you have to let your employer know your plans. You can't just say "I'll let you know when I feel like it." I don't know what you do for a living so maybe you are self employed so you can do what you want but I am in management in my company and at some point an employ has to let the employer know something about their plans if there is a health problem. You can't expect an employer to just wait for as long as a employee feels like.

Like I said and I sure it's the case, hopefully they know way more about what's going on than we do and they can make moves to accommodate whatever is happening.

Edit:
At 10:35 Dreger has reported that Klefbom is getting treatment in Sweden and it sounds like surgery is likely but no time frame on when it will happen. But he will be out long term by the sounds of it. So if Dreger is reporting that, I assume the Oilers are well aware of the situation and are planning to not have him for the season. Which at the end of the day is all I want. Just for the team to be able to prepare properly.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2020 10:38]

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767582 is a reply to message #767569 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 10:13

You sure do have the right to pick when you want it but you have to let your employer know your plans. You can't just say "I'll let you know when I feel like it." I don't know what you do for a living so maybe you are self employed so you can do what you want but I am in management in my company and at some point an employ has to let the employer know something about their plans if there is a health problem. You can't expect an employer to just wait for as long as a employee feels like.

Like I said and I sure it's the case, hopefully they know way more about what's going on than we do and they can make moves to accommodate whatever is happening.

Edit:
At 10:35 Dreger has reported that Klefbom is getting treatment in Sweden and it sounds like surgery is likely but no time frame on when it will happen. But he will be out long term by the sounds of it. So if Dreger is reporting that, I assume the Oilers are well aware of the situation and are planning to not have him for the season. Which at the end of the day is all I want. Just for the team to be able to prepare properly.

100% Holland is in tune with it. He’s touched on it the last week, recognizing that he’ll have to find a way to fill the void, outside of solely internal. This isn’t Peter Chiarelli we’re dealing with anymore, though even he would have a sense of what the player is doing.

Can you essentially give Barrie Klefbom’s money over a 1-2 year contract? Barrie could fill the PP role Klef had while contributing to the minutes at 5v5. Not the worst option, but does Edmonton look attractive to Barrie?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767583 is a reply to message #767582 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 13:14

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 10:13

Edit:

100% Holland is in tune with it. He’s touched on it the last week, recognizing that he’ll have to find a way to fill the void, outside of solely internal. This isn’t Peter Chiarelli we’re dealing with anymore, though even he would have a sense of what the player is doing.

Can you essentially give Barrie Klefbom’s money over a 1-2 year contract? Barrie could fill the PP role Klef had while contributing to the minutes at 5v5. Not the worst option, but does Edmonton look attractive to Barrie?

With the cap and money being tight and tight for a few years, I do not think teams will be as willing to throw around money like they normally would on a guy like Barrie. Barrie is coming off what is seen as not a good year, given that it was in Toronto, he probably took more of a beating on his rep than he should have. This league pays for points. If he signed on the Oilers, he would slide into the #1 PP unit from this past season and a PP that set records. What better way to pad the old stats to set yourself up for one last fat contract than to sign with the Oilers for 2 years at say Klefbom money and have McDavid and Leon feeding him pucks. He could put up a couple of big point years, only be early 30's and hopefully the financial landscaped has changed by then so he gets on last big pay day.

Prediction. Barrie signs for 2 years for 4 mill, Stauffer keeps mentioning his name over and over again. Klefbom gets put on LTIR for the season, that frees up his money. This allows the Oilers to slow play Bouchard getting in. Because they have Bear and Barrie on the right side, that frees up Larsson to be moved for forward help. Benning gets signed for less than 2 mill. Russell and his 4 mill get moved out. They also sign a vet left shot to a short term deal. The Oilers defense for next season will be:

Nurse - Bear
Vet - Barrie
Jones - Benning
Lagesson/vet.

For the expansion draft. Jones proves he can slide into the top 4 full time. The Oilers and his suspect shoulder leave Klefbom exposed.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2020 13:38]

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767584 is a reply to message #767564 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If we want to ponder some potential shoulder issues that could have a guy constantly trying to decide if additional surgeries would actually help more than just rehab, I present you with this!

https://www.caringmedical.com/prolotherapy-news/bone-spurs-i n-the-shoulder/

Search inspired by Pulju.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767585 is a reply to message #767257 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Quote:

@TomGazzola
"It's not that simple...He's going to have to make a decision that's very important for his life, so I have to respect that." - Ken Holland on Oscar Klefbom making a decision on shoulder surgery and future of his career.

https://twitter.com/TomGazzola/status/1313164720904400897

This may be a long-term thing. They may be looking for a long-term solution. Right now Nurse is their #1 defenseman.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767586 is a reply to message #767585 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 15:05

Quote:

@TomGazzola
"It's not that simple...He's going to have to make a decision that's very important for his life, so I have to respect that." - Ken Holland on Oscar Klefbom making a decision on shoulder surgery and future of his career.

This may be a long-term thing. They may be looking for a long-term solution. Right now Nurse is their #1 defenseman.

Sigh, hope it works out.

For the fans, at least being Oilers fans has already prepared us for any possible outcome.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767590 is a reply to message #767586 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 14:31

Quote:

@TomGazzola

Sigh, hope it works out.

For the fans, at least being Oilers fans has already prepared us for any possible outcome.

Within 1.5 years, both McDavid and Klefbom seem to be no longer trusting in the Oilers to handle their medical issues.

All of this is weird.

Clean house or bust

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767600 is a reply to message #767590 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 15:49

Quote:

@TomGazzola

Sigh, hope it works out.

Within 1.5 years, both McDavid and Klefbom seem to be no longer trusting in the Oilers to handle their medical issues.

All of this is weird.

It’s not uncommon to get other opinions when it’s a potential altering or ending injury. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Klefbom has some significant phobias regarding surgical procedures after his staph infection. I’d likely look into alternative medicine/healing if I were him too.

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767602 is a reply to message #767600 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 18:21

Quote:

@TomGazzola

Sigh, hope it works out.

All of this is weird.

It’s not uncommon to get other opinions when it’s a potential altering or ending injury. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Klefbom has some significant phobias regarding surgical procedures after his staph infection. I’d likely look into alternative medicine/healing if I were him too.

Second opinions are common, yes. Second opinions and treatment plans without team involvement? That is uncommon and raises questions It sure seems like it’s completely out of their hands. Given the Oilers mismanagement of literally everything, I wouldn’t be surprised if player health is just another failure on their part.

Kawhi Leonard with the San Antonio Spurs is the only player which I can think that handled his own injury treatment. That relationship got so messy that he was traded to the Raptors, who load managed him. Now the Oilers seemingly have 2 players who are not going through the team for anything major. It’s not a great sign of confidence in what is a pretty important area for the team to have trust with its players.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2020 20:15]

Clean house or bust

Re: Klefbom considering Injury Options [message #767616 is a reply to message #767600 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 18:21

Quote:

@TomGazzola

Sigh, hope it works out.

All of this is weird.

I agree, if you have millions of dollars you'd find the best specialist in North America, or Europe, and have a consult, I wouldn't leave it to the "best guy in Edmonton", I'd want to be sure, its simply rational due diligence, you have millions of dollars in a career at stake, you ask around.

If its arthritis, its not an normal sports injury, and his surgical options may be few, and not come with a good probability for a result that brings him back to normal function.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2020 22:07]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #11)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca