This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay!
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767011]
Tue, 22 September 2020 13:51 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

A major accomplishment from Leon Draisaitl that warrants its own thread. He has exceeded every expectation.

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmonton-oilers-forward-leon-draisa itl-wins-hart-trophy/c-319122878

Quote:

"It's a big deal for me," Draisaitl said. "You know, at the same time, I know that there's so many people that have helped me get to this point, and there's so many people that I have to thank, you know, family, friends, coaching staff, they trust in me, my teammates, most importantly, the fans. There are so many people that, you know, play such a big role in this and they don't get much recognition, so just from my side, it's a huge thank you to all those people."

Draisaitl also won the Ted Lindsay Award as most outstanding player in voting by the NHL Players' Association after he led the League with 110 points (43 goals, 67 assists) and in points per game (1.55), assists, and power-play points (44). He was first among forwards in ice time per game (22:37), tied with Boston Bruins forward David Pastrnak for first in game-winning goals (10), and was second in even-strength points (66) and power-play goals (16). Draisaitl had 33 multipoint games and scored at least one point in 56 of 71 games.

"Obviously, I found some chemistry with [Kailer Yamamoto] and [Ryan Nugent-Hopkins]," Draisaitl said of his linemates. "We clicked at the end and had a good run, so that definitely helped. Again, the whole team throughout the entire year. Coaching staff, the trust they put in me and, you know, getting me out there over and over again even though I probably didn't deserve it at times. You know I'm just very thankful for that."

"It's a nice personal reward, or it's a nice personal … yeah, I guess, award for myself, but there's nothing that comes ahead of the Stanley Cup," Draisaitl said. "I think that's the same for any player in the League. And, you know, if I could hand those two awards back in for the Stanley Cup, I would do that in a heartbeat, and I think so would everyone else. So it's a nice day. I'm proud and I'm happy, for sure. But you know, my goal at the end of the day in my career is to win the Stanley Cup."

He is the first Germany-born player to win the Hart Trophy.

"It's a big honor," Draisaitl said. "Our hockey's getting much better (in Germany) and we're producing more and more players, so hopefully this will somehow give little kids maybe some more joy of playing hockey and starting hockey instead of other sports. If I can help with that in any way, then I'd love to do that."

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767021 is a reply to message #767011 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

He's 24. and has lots of gas in the tank. I'm pulling for him to continue anchoring his own line for the Oilers for years to come.

Have to admit I was expecting him to win the Lindsay and not the Hart. I'm glad the writers got it right this time.

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767028 is a reply to message #767011 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Happy for him, he has certainly exceeded my expectations, I thought he was overpaid on his contract when it was signed, and he probably was, but that has turned around for the last couple years in terms of the value the team is receiving. He's really changed his game, and the maturity has shown. The Oilers have to take advantage of their 2 best players getting into their best years, hope they can do it. The regular season was a pretty good result, considering the dumb play-in and the fact the team didn't actually make the playoffs.

Really hard to get pumped just the way things are, the way hockey has to be played, the fact that there is no ceremony to the awards. Pretty sad.

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767034 is a reply to message #767011 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Is it not insane that the Oilers have two Hart/Lindsay/Art Ross Trophy winners on the team in the prime of their career and team still can't compete? How sad is that?

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767035 is a reply to message #767034 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Pseudoreality wrote on Tue, 22 September 2020 20:35

Is it not insane that the Oilers have two Hart/Lindsay/Art Ross Trophy winners on the team in the prime of their career and team still can't compete? How sad is that?

I wouldn’t read much into it. There’s no chance it’s evidence of larger systemic problems that have held the team back for years, along with a complicit and generally useless local media team that enables and fawns over the people who are the actual problem for fear of losing access. More likely Drai just needs to back check.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767069 is a reply to message #767035 ]
Wed, 23 September 2020 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 22 September 2020 20:49

I wouldn’t read much into it. There’s no chance it’s evidence of larger systemic problems that have held the team back for years, along with a complicit and generally useless local media team that enables and fawns over the people who are the actual problem for fear of losing access. More likely Drai just needs to back check.

*like*

Between the Drai backchecking and McDavid being too quiet and serious a person it's a wonder we're not a lottery pick again!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767183 is a reply to message #767069 ]
Mon, 28 September 2020 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 September 2020 14:30

*like*

Between the Drai backchecking and McDavid being too quiet and serious a person it's a wonder we're not a lottery pick again!

When will Keegan be ready to step in as an assistant coach and start to straighten out this mess? Maybe a few games behind the bench for the Condors first for good measure?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767184 is a reply to message #767183 ]
Mon, 28 September 2020 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 28 September 2020 18:46

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 September 2020 14:30

*like*

When will Keegan be ready to step in as an assistant coach and start to straighten out this mess? Maybe a few games behind the bench for the Condors first for good measure?

Seems like a waste of time for someone with Lowe genes, no? Just shoot that kid up to the management ranks and get the winning started.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767208 is a reply to message #767184 ]
Tue, 29 September 2020 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 September 2020 18:53

Seems like a waste of time for someone with Lowe genes, no? Just shoot that kid up to the management ranks and get the winning started.

Imagine being Keegan Lowe, his dad wins 6 cups, a hall of famer and a top notch fail upwards management type.

He'd just be happy to be one of that, most likely the fail upwards.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767210 is a reply to message #767208 ]
Tue, 29 September 2020 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 29 September 2020 09:46

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 September 2020 18:53

Imagine being Keegan Lowe, his dad wins 6 cups, a hall of famer and a top notch fail upwards management type.

He'd just be happy to be one of that, most likely the fail upwards.

I bet his dad never brings his cups up at family gatherings

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767219 is a reply to message #767210 ]
Tue, 29 September 2020 12:35 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

He doesn't. He just wears all the rings and hopes someone else brings it up.

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767048 is a reply to message #767011 ]
Wed, 23 September 2020 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

So, is there a way we could trade those trophies for a Stanley Cup? I'm sure Leon would be willing to make that deal.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Leon Wins the Hart and Lindsay! [message #767049 is a reply to message #767048 ]
Wed, 23 September 2020 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 23 September 2020 13:11

So, is there a way we could trade those trophies for a Stanley Cup? I'm sure Leon would be willing to make that deal.

Well, yes. He even says that in the above quote:

And, you know, if I could hand those two awards back in for the Stanley Cup, I would do that in a heartbeat, and I think so would everyone else.

Previous Topic:Oilers sign forward Adam Cracknell
Next Topic:Oilers sign Russell to an extension
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca