This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765345 is a reply to message #765316 ]
Wed, 12 August 2020 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Did McDavid and Leon make a few mistakes that may have contributed to the odd goal? Sure. When you play as much as they do and have the puck as often as they do, they are bound to make mistakes. I have no doubt they will improve defensively but that isn't why they lost.

The defense was brutal. I am not sure if I have seen Klefbom play that bad in a long time. Larsson wasn't any good in the 2 games he did play. You'd think with 4.5 months off which is a full offseason that he would be as healthy as he could get and he could last longer than a couple of weeks before the back goes out but apparently not. Nurse struggled and brought ZERO energy and emotion which was shocking to me. Bear looked like a rookie. When Russell is one of your best dmen, that's a problem.

The lack of energy from some of the forwards was shocking to me. I thought Kassian would be good, he is a playoff style of player. Maybe he needs the crowd to get him going because he didn't touch anyone. I had hoped that Khaira would show a pulse. You'd think a bottom 6 guy like Khaira would play with energy because that's part of his job but nope. Sheahan was good on draws, other than that. I heard Gregor mentioned yesterday that supposed Sheahan came to the bubble 5-6 lbs heavier. Not sure if that is true but if he did, that's awful. Stauffer commenting on his show today he thought Sheahan looked sluggish so maybe what Gregor said was true.

I think the coaches made some mistakes as well. Starting Smith in game 1 was a mistake. The team wasn't ready I get that but Koskinen was the better goalie all year. He was the better goalie in camp and while it wasn't all on the goalie in game 1, giving up the first goal like Smith did on a puck playing mistake set the tone. I would have kept the Nuge - Leon - Yamo line together because they were SO dominate. I would have had Neal on McDavid's line because Neal was going, skating as well as I saw him all year, and in limited ice time was creating offense.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765347 is a reply to message #765345 ]
Wed, 12 August 2020 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 August 2020 12:26

Did McDavid and Leon make a few mistakes that may have contributed to the odd goal? Sure. When you play as much as they do and have the puck as often as they do, they are bound to make mistakes. I have no doubt they will improve defensively but that isn't why they lost.

The defense was brutal. I am not sure if I have seen Klefbom play that bad in a long time. Larsson wasn't any good in the 2 games he did play. You'd think with 4.5 months off which is a full offseason that he would be as healthy as he could get and he could last longer than a couple of weeks before the back goes out but apparently not. Nurse struggled and brought ZERO energy and emotion which was shocking to me. Bear looked like a rookie. When Russell is one of your best dmen, that's a problem.

The lack of energy from some of the forwards was shocking to me. I thought Kassian would be good, he is a playoff style of player. Maybe he needs the crowd to get him going because he didn't touch anyone. I had hoped that Khaira would show a pulse. You'd think a bottom 6 guy like Khaira would play with energy because that's part of his job but nope. Sheahan was good on draws, other than that. I heard Gregor mentioned yesterday that supposed Sheahan came to the bubble 5-6 lbs heavier. Not sure if that is true but if he did, that's awful. Stauffer commenting on his show today he thought Sheahan looked sluggish so maybe what Gregor said was true.

I think the coaches made some mistakes as well. Starting Smith in game 1 was a mistake. The team wasn't ready I get that but Koskinen was the better goalie all year. He was the better goalie in camp and while it wasn't all on the goalie in game 1, giving up the first goal like Smith did on a puck playing mistake set the tone. I would have kept the Nuge - Leon - Yamo line together because they were SO dominate. I would have had Neal on McDavid's line because Neal was going, skating as well as I saw him all year, and in limited ice time was creating offense.

Too bad the Oilers 2016 first round (fourth overall) draft pick wasn't around to contribute.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765363 is a reply to message #765347 ]
Wed, 12 August 2020 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 12 August 2020 13:02

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 August 2020 12:26

Too bad the Oilers 2016 first round (fourth overall) draft pick wasn't around to contribute.

He's too busy being the ringer on a paid men's league team in Finland.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765422 is a reply to message #765363 ]
Fri, 14 August 2020 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If anyone still is interested in more excuses from the Edmonton Oilers, there is a player availability press conference at 11 AM today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUEunNm4F-4

Two for one deal. A chance to criticize the players and Edmonton main stream media.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765461 is a reply to message #765363 ]
Sat, 15 August 2020 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gpurves@shaw.ca  is currently offline gpurves@shaw.ca

No Cups

Can't blame anyone, the defense or any single part of the team. Our "good ol' hockey game", awards the best TEAM with Lord Stanley's mug. Take care of each other, out there.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765464 is a reply to message #765461 ]
Sat, 15 August 2020 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Did the Oilers ever clean up that 50/50 mess?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765466 is a reply to message #765464 ]
Sat, 15 August 2020 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 15 August 2020 15:03

Still no numbers drawn. People had until Thursday to ask for refunds I believe.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765947 is a reply to message #765466 ]
Tue, 25 August 2020 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 15 August 2020 16:36

Big draw coming up. Estimated $14 million.

50/50 UPDATE

"The winning ticket for the Friday, Aug. 7 #Oilers online 50/50 raffle will be drawn at 4pm MDT on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at OEG headquarters.

We will post the winning number right here on Twitter as well as on http://EdmontonOilers.com/5050."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765948 is a reply to message #765947 ]
Tue, 25 August 2020 18:09 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 25 August 2020 16:55

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 15 August 2020 16:36

Big draw coming up. Estimated $14 million.

50/50 UPDATE

"The winning ticket for the Friday, Aug. 7 #Oilers online 50/50 raffle will be drawn at 4pm MDT on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at OEG headquarters.

We will post the winning number right here on Twitter as well as on http://EdmontonOilers.com/5050."

Imagine, just imagine, that it goes unclaimed.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765460 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Sat, 15 August 2020 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gpurves@shaw.ca  is currently offline gpurves@shaw.ca

No Cups

It is easy to dream, takes work to make the dream come true. It is always the best TEAM that wins Lord Stanley's mug, and more, the team that plays with heart for each other.

Rieder, Lucic, Talbot, Eberle, Hall, Cogliano, Maroon, Perron, Petry, Srome, Caggiula, Radulov, and more still playing their guts (hearts) out, in 2020
Couldn't run Schultz out of town fast enough, and he won the mug the next season. Homegrown prospects like Dach, Hart, Parayko, might be at HOME.

Finally, HOME is where the HEART is, and a desire-filled heart triumphs over skill, speed, and even talent.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765531 is a reply to message #765059 ]
Mon, 17 August 2020 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I tend to agree with this assessment:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /greatest-failing-of-edmonton-oilers-in-2020-playoffs-nhl-co mmentator-nails-it

Basically that our D are not good enough to allow our forwards to be flying the zone, looking for stretch passes or one of our D to be skating the puck out of the zone. No kidding...but we didn't seem to want to acknowledge this.

I keep looking back at what the Pens did when they switched from Bylsma(king of the endless stretch passes)/Johnston to Sullivan. He made those forwards stay in the zone and help out the D. Grinding to win back pucks, ensuring guys were open to give their D multiple options. This was especially a must for their 2nd win as they had a whole bunch of mediocre D playing every night with Letang out. But, worked out fine. A guy like Lovejoy never missed a beat.

Obviously the Pens forwards were a lot deeper, hence being able to win a cup with a mediocre D group. Not really expecting that from this team. But, I do at least expect us to play to our strengths, and making guys like Nurse try to make 2 zone passes all night, or even 40 ft passes to guys camping near the blue line...it's just dumb and we paid for being stretched out in our zone looking for winning back pucks and starting the transition to always come easy.

Obviously the best way to fix this is to actually get some good D that can make good passes under pressure. Badly need at least Bouchard to pan out soon.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 August 2020 21:35]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765552 is a reply to message #765531 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 August 2020 21:30

I tend to agree with this assessment:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /greatest-failing-of-edmonton-oilers-in-2020-playoffs-nhl-co mmentator-nails-it

Basically that our D are not good enough to allow our forwards to be flying the zone, looking for stretch passes or one of our D to be skating the puck out of the zone. No kidding...but we didn't seem to want to acknowledge this.

I keep looking back at what the Pens did when they switched from Bylsma(king of the endless stretch passes)/Johnston to Sullivan. He made those forwards stay in the zone and help out the D. Grinding to win back pucks, ensuring guys were open to give their D multiple options. This was especially a must for their 2nd win as they had a whole bunch of mediocre D playing every night with Letang out. But, worked out fine. A guy like Lovejoy never missed a beat.

Obviously the Pens forwards were a lot deeper, hence being able to win a cup with a mediocre D group. Not really expecting that from this team. But, I do at least expect us to play to our strengths, and making guys like Nurse try to make 2 zone passes all night, or even 40 ft passes to guys camping near the blue line...it's just dumb and we paid for being stretched out in our zone looking for winning back pucks and starting the transition to always come easy.

Obviously the best way to fix this is to actually get some good D that can make good passes under pressure. Badly need at least Bouchard to pan out soon.

Is that it though? Tippett does have his forwards in fairly deep. It's one of the reasons that they were so bad at stopping point shots - they wingers were being asked to play fairly deep in our zone, with all five players below the top of the circles for much of the time.

I do agree that puck-movement from the back-end is a challenge. Larsson isn't great, Nurse skates well, but he doesn't make great passes regularly. Russell can only be counted for on a d-to-d pass...Anything forward goes off the glass for him. Bear struggled in this series, but he's a young defender.

Jones and Benning were actually pretty solid in limited minutes. Jones shot share stats were very highly tilted in the Oilers favour. I think that Tippett overplayed his top couple pairs and underplayed the third pairing despite results.

Worth noting - the Oilers outshot and outchanced the Blackhawks through the series, so it's not really fair to suggest we can't play with them. We did. We also scored well throughout the series too - enough goals that our players were sitting 1st, 2nd and 5th in scoring...but we just let in a lot of goals to the point where our goalies had the worst team save percentage and goals against average in the playoffs...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765575 is a reply to message #765552 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

in the *play-ins*

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765584 is a reply to message #765575 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 14:01

in the *play-ins*

I do wonder if this counts as an actually official playoff appearance or if the Oilers are now 3 seasons out of the dance.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765587 is a reply to message #765584 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 14:17

in the *play-ins*

I do wonder if this counts as an actually official playoff appearance or if the Oilers are now 3 seasons out of the dance.

Nope. it counts. Rebuild over. Somebody hire MacT.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86) [message #765588 is a reply to message #765587 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 14:21

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 14:17

in the *play-ins*

Nope. it counts. Rebuild over. Somebody hire MacT.

Rebuild #4 is going to be sooooo good.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Haas
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca