This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764799]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Chicago to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764810 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Well, that was a hard and sudden kick to the nuts. Ugh, for Bear of all people to deflect the puck into his own net...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764825 is a reply to message #764810 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Just gutted for him. Reminded me of Steve Smith in '86. McDavid on fire and it might be wasted again by bad luck and poor reffing. doh

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764828 is a reply to message #764825 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 23:44

Just gutted for him. Reminded me of Steve Smith in '86. McDavid on fire and it might be wasted again by bad luck and poor reffing. doh

Yeah, he looked like he got sucker punch while he was on the bench. I hope he can recover, but two days isn't a lot of time.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764811 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This team screwed itself in the 2nd period. Bad calls, yes. Dumb penalties, yes.

Can’t roll the lines. Never got any traction it seemed.

This game was very winnable.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764823 is a reply to message #764811 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travgwhite  is currently offline travgwhite

No Cups

Bad penalties and sketchy calls many times in a row. We did not get those fortunate calls. Chicago is a large market North American team and they did, over, and over. Oilers obviously have to beat the team and the refs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764824 is a reply to message #764823 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

travgwhite wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 23:39

Bad penalties and sketchy calls many times in a row. We did not get those fortunate calls. Chicago is a large market North American team and they did, over, and over. Oilers obviously have to beat the team and the refs.

It's interesting how the calls just stopped in the 3rd as Chicago players were molesting Oilers at every turn as they were trying to get back in the game.

Such a wonderful league the NHL is.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764827 is a reply to message #764824 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 22:41

travgwhite wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 23:39

It's interesting how the calls just stopped in the 3rd as Chicago players were molesting Oilers at every turn as they were trying to get back in the game.

Such a wonderful league the NHL is.

Yeah strange that.. as Spock would say "its an enigma Captain"
Joanette kept the Hawks in it.
That's how you nullify McD in a game, you call a s**tload of penalties and he never gets on the ice, brilliant.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 August 2020 23:49]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764812 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Oilers blow it late. Too many penalties, too many chances for Chicago to try to put the puck in the net...

The Oil didn't deserve that win anyways... terrible composure.

Well, it's been a fun season y'all. Oilers aren't going to win both of these games, not with this play.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764813 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Why do we play physical against the Flames, and hook and grab against others. We play best when we play physical. We take stupid clutching and grabbing penalties when we dont. We are not going to win if our best players cant play offense

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764834 is a reply to message #764813 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

travgwhite wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 02:50

Why do we play physical against the Flames, and hook and grab against others. We play best when we play physical. We take stupid clutching and grabbing penalties when we dont. We are not going to win if our best players cant play offense

Well, it was Yamo and Archibald playing physical when they didn't need to that cause two of the dumb penalties tonight. It's one thing to play physical. It's another thing to do it smartly. Of course, when there's two dumb refs judging the game, it may not matter how you play. (I"m not blaming the refs, but they sure were leaning towards the Hawks side of the ice tonight with the two blown calls on Russell and Athanasiou.)

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764814 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gotta be honest. Kinda looking forward to not watching this crap again.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764816 is a reply to message #764814 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 23:21

See you Friday afternoon!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764821 is a reply to message #764816 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 23:23

See you Friday afternoon!

I'm a sucker for punishment, no doubt about it. But once it's over, it'll feel fine, especially if we win the lottery.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764818 is a reply to message #764814 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Me too. Get back to my summer.

Keep in mind.....we are great in the lottery.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764820 is a reply to message #764818 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 05 August 2020 23:31

Me too. Get back to my summer.

Keep in mind.....we are great in the lottery.

Yeah, I've got ball playoffs coming up.

But once they're done and I have my rec league championship I'd very much enjoy watching Oilers playoffs in... September? Weird year. Weird, weird year.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764817 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Suddenly we're in an elimination game. Not good. You play with fire when you take unnecessary penalties, just takes any flow that you have or want away.

Not what I envisioned, a step back from last game. Doesn't look great right now.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764826 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Wed, 05 August 2020 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

That one stung like a Murder Hornet

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764831 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Gotta say. If its do or die and we have to take chances, we play Smith in net. Could give us that advantage playing the puck...or burn us. He is great when it doesnt. Do or die we might as well go all in. Prob get ripped for this.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764832 is a reply to message #764831 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

travgwhite wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 00:57

Gotta say. If its do or die and we have to take chances, we play Smith in net. Could give us that advantage playing the puck...or burn us. He is great when it doesnt. Do or die we might as well go all in. Prob get ripped for this.

I won't rip you, but IMHO Koskinen isn't the problem, he was great that game, so many chances given up in front of the net, nobody getting tied up, and then the point shots coming in way too clean, and Hawks consistently left free to tip and deflect pucks. Forwards start blocking some point shots, either that or get the freaking puck out over the line in the first place!

I think they need to get in on the Hawk D and crash 'em, dump into a corner and then make them hear foot steps, their D is not good, Crawford is mediocre.

Not sure what to do about the penalties, most of the Oil calls were really weak (Burke thought the same thing in the 1st intermission), some even ghost calls (ref sees something that is not there) that's that's not something they can do anything about except try to avoid giving them a cheap excuse to raise their arm, but then again you can't play like you're skating around on eggshells either.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 August 2020 04:38]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764833 is a reply to message #764832 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

This officiating is unfortunately what I’ve come to expect. Absolutely ridiculous. That penalty on Archibald I think it was - basically had a can opener done on him (no call obviously), but he gets called for high sticking.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764835 is a reply to message #764833 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I had to go to bed after the first, because of a big work pitch today - but it reminds me of how I had a no-Joanette rule 2 or 3 years ago. If I saw he was the ref, I didn't watch.

It's like when Angel Hernandez is behind the plate, you know the strike zone will be an amorphous blob It's not a league conspiracy, it's someone who simply sucks at their job.

Fans shouldn't know who a ref is - unless it's for their guns...Ed Hoculi.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 August 2020 07:47]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764842 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Media guys pondering if we switch back to Smith (because Koskinen let in some screened and tipped goals).

Sigh...

Yeah, instead of scoring own goals by our D, let's just rip off the band-aid and play a goalie that loves just giving free ones away on his own.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764843 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hate Bieksa, but he is right talking about faceoffs. Other thousands of games, maybe faceoffs don't matter when everyone is playing different teams through millions of events. But, in a short series, when one team is getting absolutely owned on key faceoffs and they are constantly leading to goals off of set plays that depended on those clean wins...yeah, I think they matter.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764845 is a reply to message #764843 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 09:35

Hate Bieksa, but he is right talking about faceoffs. Other thousands of games, maybe faceoffs don't matter when everyone is playing different teams through millions of events. But, in a short series, when one team is getting absolutely owned on key faceoffs and they are constantly leading to goals off of set plays that depended on those clean wins...yeah, I think they matter.

He’s a... words not appropriate in this thread.

But that’s why I was saying in the GDT last night they need Haas for his right hand draws. He’s not a world beater on the dot but he gives them a different look than having 4 left handed C’s.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764849 is a reply to message #764845 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I counted as many bad penalties by the Oilers as I did bad calls by the referees. Both did a good job handing the Hawks the win.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764851 is a reply to message #764849 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 11:35

I counted as many bad penalties by the Oilers as I did bad calls by the referees. Both did a good job handing the Hawks the win.

And worst part is the inconsistency. 0 penalties in the 3rd. I saw Dach basically tackle Nurse in our zone as Nurse was trying to move the puck. He's slashing Drai all night grabbing him too. Plenty of other plays far worse than the phantom call on AA. Zero calls, just because.

This league is crap. And we suck at drawing calls too. Sorry to say, but you need floppers and whiners on your team if you want the refs to work in your favour. There is no amount of good behavior that will ever get you what you want in this league. It actually gets worse for you the less you complain and embellish.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 August 2020 11:40]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764855 is a reply to message #764849 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I worry we're starting to sound like Canucks fans.

I counted as many d-men being played above their current capabilities as bad penalties and bad calls combined.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764858 is a reply to message #764855 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 10:49

I counted as many d-men being played above their current capabilities as bad penalties and bad calls combined.

Oh I don't think the team was playing great in general, but they were good enough to have the lead until the final two goals. The Hawks are the team MUCH MORE determined to win this series thus far.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764860 is a reply to message #764858 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 12:31

Oh I don't think the team was playing great in general, but they were good enough to have the lead until the final two goals. The Hawks are the team MUCH MORE determined to win this series thus far.

That's as succinct as as point as I have even seen for this series.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764866 is a reply to message #764858 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 12:31

Frustrating game. I thought the Oilers looked decent through two periods, but they showed no killer instinct in the third period. It didn't feel like we ever really threatened to make it 4-2 and put the game away. They backed off, and tried to protect the lead. Some of that might have been shortening the bench - players were likely tired.

I also really think they need to work out a different plan on point shots. The Blackhawks have developed a game plan that is working. They're getting shots through. The Oilers are trying to block often with the defencemen down low, which creates two issues - 1) they keep tipping pucks in their own net. Bear got one in off him, Russell's tipped one in in each of the last two games. 2) Are they giving adequate focus to the 'Hawks players in front of the nets? Again, guys are able to get position in front of Koskinen and they're getting tips too. I'd really like to see them make an adjustment there.

The one other adjustment I'd like to see is on the penalty kill. I'd like to see them a little more aggressiveness on the puck carrier, especially down low. Letting Kane have room to dance is a recipe for disaster. When we do retrieve the puck, we have to be a little better about taking a second to find the hole and sending it down the ice. Getting clearing attempts picked off is a killer, and a lot of the time it's because the Oilers are rushing things a bit too much. Bear has been the most evident there (in part because he's doing a better job than most on puck retrieval), but across the board, we're struggling to get the puck out on the PK, and that results in a lot of PPs with 100+ seconds of pressure.

It is still a very winnable series though. All we need is two wins and we're on.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764988 is a reply to message #764845 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 10:09

But that’s why I was saying in the GDT last night they need Haas for his right hand draws. He’s not a world beater on the dot but he gives them a different look than having 4 left handed C’s.

Think haas is pretty bad on faceoffs regardless.

You know who we really coulda used...Pageau :) With how things are turning out with AA I would happily go back and upgrade one 2nd to a 1st and toss in a 3rd to get a great right-handed shutdown C that can score as well. Tippett would have liked him a lot.

Running Sheahan and Khaira as 3rd and 4th line C's...ugh. And we know what a disaster the top 6 becomes without Nuge up there helping out.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 August 2020 16:44]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764991 is a reply to message #764988 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 16:49 Go to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 August 2020 16:40

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 10:09

Think haas is pretty bad on faceoffs regardless.

You know who we really coulda used...Pageau :) With how things are turning out with AA I would happily go back and upgrade one 2nd to a 1st and toss in a 3rd to get a great right-handed shutdown C that can score as well. Tippett would have liked him a lot.

Running Sheahan and Khaira as 3rd and 4th line C's...ugh. And we know what a disaster the top 6 becomes without Nuge up there helping out.

While I wholly agree, Haas gives the BHawks something different on faceoffs than they’ve seen from us. He is also an effective PKer, is not slow, goes to the trenches and has contributed offensively.

Good add to the lineup imo.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85) [message #764852 is a reply to message #764799 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I'm.... I'm not very hopeful about Friday.

The Oil look too overwhelmed that they were 4 months ago. If the oilers play hard and to the net and stay out of the box they should win the game and force a game 5 but right now I don't see the sense or urgency outside of a couple of players, McD and Chiasson.

The defensive squad need to understand their positions and keep sticks and pucks away from the net. Block like you did in game 2, hit like game 2.

We need better positional play and the oilers cannot come out like keystone cops in the first 3 minutes of every period. Focus.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #86)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #85)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca