This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers pitch bid with government to host gamesPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762872 is a reply to message #762871 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 13:51

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 11:01

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 10:55

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
EDM gets the Hub, an obvious decision that took too long to make. Lowest COVID by far.
They’ll also get Oilers and West teams, my understanding, with East playing in TOR.
Makes no sense for TV to have East teams out West.

I guess surprising, but not really surprising? I guess 1 team being at home in the "bubble" isn't really that big of a deal. Not enough to override how you can have all the teams playing their games in time slots that line up with where most of the fans of those teams are.

And really, what's the home ice advantage? The team hasn't played in the building in months. There's no fans, so no emotional boost. They still have to stay in hotels, because the bubble isn't secure if they're in their own houses. Is it just that there's Oilers logos in the building?

Spector's still a bit of an idiot here. If the NHL had decided this earlier, they wouldn't have picked Edmonton, because there wasn't the resurgence in Nevada yet.

We have a guy in our office like Spector, who makes the easy conclusion everytime and thinks he's a genius, because the general population agrees with it. I can't stand easy conclusion guys or girls.

I'm ADDing hard today.

Anyway, I think most psychologist will agree that a sense of familiarity with affect things. Could be good could be bad, but it will have an effect.

Also, I think if you're the Oilers and you win at home, you know that right outside your doors, there's an entire pulsating population cheering for you. That could count for something, but it might make it enerving to be playing in a rink your familiar with, while zero people are cheering for you, while other teams are used to not being cheered for in that rink.

So many factors.

There probably is some little advantage to using the facilities you have been familiar with through the playoffs. I wonder if they force the Oilers to use the visitor room though :) Still, all the other facilities and equipment, it's probably going to be nice for the players and the support staff.

And long shot, if we actually move through the playoffs and Edmonton gets these increasing cases under control. Imagine if we could open up allowing something like 1/5th capacity for sporting events? Nice little bonus for the league, and maybe the Oilers could have a friendly crowd up there.

Ugh...probably getting way ahead of myself there about the OIlers going far, but one can dream :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762874 is a reply to message #762872 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 14:00

Magnum wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 13:51

EDM gets the Hub, an obvious decision that took too long to make. Lowest COVID by far.
They’ll also get Oilers and West teams, my understanding, with East playing in TOR.

I guess surprising, but not really surprising? I guess 1 team being at home in the "bubble" isn't really that big of a deal. Not enough to override how you can have all the teams playing their games in time slots that line up with where most of the fans of those teams are.

And really, what's the home ice advantage? The team hasn't played in the building in months. There's no fans, so no emotional boost. They still have to stay in hotels, because the bubble isn't secure if they're in their own houses. Is it just that there's Oilers logos in the building?

Spector's still a bit of an idiot here. If the NHL had decided this earlier, they wouldn't have picked Edmonton, because there wasn't the resurgence in Nevada yet.

We have a guy in our office like Spector, who makes the easy conclusion everytime and thinks he's a genius, because the general population agrees with it. I can't stand easy conclusion guys or girls.

I'm ADDing hard today.

Anyway, I think most psychologist will agree that a sense of familiarity with affect things. Could be good could be bad, but it will have an effect.

Also, I think if you're the Oilers and you win at home, you know that right outside your doors, there's an entire pulsating population cheering for you. That could count for something, but it might make it enerving to be playing in a rink your familiar with, while zero people are cheering for you, while other teams are used to not being cheered for in that rink.

So many factors.

There probably is some little advantage to using the facilities you have been familiar with through the playoffs. I wonder if they force the Oilers to use the visitor room though :) Still, all the other facilities and equipment, it's probably going to be nice for the players and the support staff.

And long shot, if we actually move through the playoffs and Edmonton gets these increasing cases under control. Imagine if we could open up allowing something like 1/5th capacity for sporting events? Nice little bonus for the league, and maybe the Oilers could have a friendly crowd up there.

Ugh...probably getting way ahead of myself there about the OIlers going far, but one can dream :)

It will be extra-embarrassing if they don't make it to the first round... that's a definite factor.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762873 is a reply to message #762862 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

They know the boards!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762905 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I was positive it was going to be Vegas and Toronto, and now we find out Edmonton is the second third fourth first choice to be a hub city.

It's clear the NHL didn't want to come to Edmonton for the mere reason that the Rockies aren't just off Whyte ave, or resort living isn't in Edmonton. I'm salted by the whole selection process.

On one hand, I'm thrilled for the hospitality industry because they needed some good news and hopefully it will be office and they get it and they get the money in droves.

If you don't want to read doom and gloom stop reading.. (many of you already have)

The other hand Edmontonians are at risk by allowing 300 people from all around the world to compete in a tournament to award a cup that may or may not get awarded. The players are at risk and how crappy if our McDavid got covid and it got so severe due to lung scarring or something else and he has to retire early.

The season should be shut down and cancelled until a viable vaccine is made, I cannot see this tournament completing. I just can't.

Then again, what do I know? Like everyone else, I'm dying to see the Oilers play and see live sports.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762914 is a reply to message #762905 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 09:21

I was positive it was going to be Vegas and Toronto, and now we find out Edmonton is the second third fourth first choice to be a hub city.

It's clear the NHL didn't want to come to Edmonton for the mere reason that the Rockies aren't just off Whyte ave, or resort living isn't in Edmonton. I'm salted by the whole selection process.

On one hand, I'm thrilled for the hospitality industry because they needed some good news and hopefully it will be office and they get it and they get the money in droves.

If you don't want to read doom and gloom stop reading.. (many of you already have)

The other hand Edmontonians are at risk by allowing 300 people from all around the world to compete in a tournament to award a cup that may or may not get awarded. The players are at risk and how crappy if our McDavid got covid and it got so severe due to lung scarring or something else and he has to retire early.

The season should be shut down and cancelled until a viable vaccine is made, I cannot see this tournament completing. I just can't.

Then again, what do I know? Like everyone else, I'm dying to see the Oilers play and see live sports.

So here's the thing:

The players will be safer in the bubble than they will be out of it. They'll be getting food supplied to them, they won't have friends asking them to go out. They won't have the temptations of other events - they'll just have the bubble and hockey with a bunch of other people who've been isolated. If you're an NHL team and you're worried about keeping your star players from catching this - this is probably the best case scenario. You're keeping them out of the general population.

There's no way to take the risk to zero, but it's quite low - people are tested before they enter the bubble, and then they maintain very low contact with the outside world. Twitter seems to be confirming today that families aren't invited.

The risk to the city is relatively low too - 1000 people in a city of a million people, who've isolated before coming to Edmonton and who are being sequestered away with limited contact? There should be very low risk of a NHL-driven outbreak in the city.

For the NHL and the players, this means millions upon millions of dollars, so given the relatively low risks, the only way this doesn't move forward is if one of the bubbles fails and there's a serious outbreak amongst the players.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762920 is a reply to message #762914 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 11:40

So here's the thing:

The players will be safer in the bubble than they will be out of it. They'll be getting food supplied to them, they won't have friends asking them to go out. They won't have the temptations of other events - they'll just have the bubble and hockey with a bunch of other people who've been isolated. If you're an NHL team and you're worried about keeping your star players from catching this - this is probably the best case scenario. You're keeping them out of the general population.

There's no way to take the risk to zero, but it's quite low - people are tested before they enter the bubble, and then they maintain very low contact with the outside world. Twitter seems to be confirming today that families aren't invited.

The risk to the city is relatively low too - 1000 people in a city of a million people, who've isolated before coming to Edmonton and who are being sequestered away with limited contact? There should be very low risk of a NHL-driven outbreak in the city.

For the NHL and the players, this means millions upon millions of dollars, so given the relatively low risks, the only way this doesn't move forward is if one of the bubbles fails and there's a serious outbreak amongst the players.

Both posts contain very valid points. Hopefully the NHL and Edmonton can pull this off, but all it takes is a few people to ruin it by not taking the quarantine/isolation/bubble seriously or being selfish about it.

Australia's 5-star hotel isolation/outbreak scandal:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/asia/victoria-quarantine-coro navirus-breach-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Stay well all.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762926 is a reply to message #762914 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

So here's the thing:

I doubt the bubble will be sealed completely though. One anonymous player was talking about how they wanted Edmonton because it allowed them to get outside the hotel and do things like golf, go for runs, etc.

And honestly... that's probably okay. Outdoor social distancing is fair game. As long as "going outside the bubble" is for runs and golf and not for bars and restaurants.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762928 is a reply to message #762926 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 12:28

So here's the thing:

I doubt the bubble will be sealed completely though. One anonymous player was talking about how they wanted Edmonton because it allowed them to get outside the hotel and do things like golf, go for runs, etc.

And honestly... that's probably okay. Outdoor social distancing is fair game. As long as "going outside the bubble" is for runs and golf and not for bars and restaurants.

The Edmonton bid was designed to make things like that possible. Moving the bubble - as in golf course A gets shut down at specific times or possibly for the duration so that the NHLers can use it.

There's no way the NHL can allow bars and restaurants. Team gatherings, sure. But they can't expose their players to servers or other patrons. And they have to make sure that the players know the risk in leaving - and that even if they don't get sick, if they're caught, they can't play for a significant amount of time. They have to take it seriously.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762929 is a reply to message #762928 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 14:33

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 12:28

So here's the thing:

The Edmonton bid was designed to make things like that possible. Moving the bubble - as in golf course A gets shut down at specific times or possibly for the duration so that the NHLers can use it.

There's no way the NHL can allow bars and restaurants. Team gatherings, sure. But they can't expose their players to servers or other patrons. And they have to make sure that the players know the risk in leaving - and that even if they don't get sick, if they're caught, they can't play for a significant amount of time. They have to take it seriously.

You'd think they'd bring in and quarantine a small army of staff: waitresses, girlfriends, social coordinators, maids, tutors, and why not mixologists or anything else you'd find on a cruise ship.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762933 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Connor lives in the JW Marriott building, right? Wonder if he gets to stay in his condo since it's within the bubble. Probably seen as some sort of advantage, but it would suck to live in the same building and then be forced to shack up in a smaller place and not get to see Lenny.

It does make me wonder what the residents of the Marriott building will do as they will be within the bubble confines, and likely have to leave for work.

Anyways, I think overall this is good news for the City of Edmonton and the NHL. Edmonton (and Vancouver) were the best places to host. After the NHL pushed Vancouver out, Edmonton and Toronto are the next best. The NHL and NHLPA may have had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the right conclusion, but at least they landed there.

Now the NHL, NHLPA, and City of Edmonton just have to not be stupid about it. I don't think the bubble will be completely locked down (I think players will want to go for runs, play golf, etc), but they need to find a way to keep the players out of the bars, and from hooking up with the locals. The very worst case for both the NHL and the City of Edmonton is for this thing to result in a bubble outbreak or public outbreak and have the season come crashing to the ground or the city see a massive spike as a result of the guests.

They have to monitor where the players go, how they interact with, who gets in and out of the bubble. They have to not do stupid things like let asymptomatic players out of the hotel room (yes it sucks, but it is what it is. You can't have them mixing with other players or the Edmonton public). Already, there are something like 30 players with cases, and Virtanen was out posting pictures partying at a bar, so I'm skeptical of players showing the necessary discipline, but they really need to. And if they can't voluntarily, they need to be forced to.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762936 is a reply to message #762933 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:03

Connor lives in the JW Marriott building, right? Wonder if he gets to stay in his condo since it's within the bubble. Probably seen as some sort of advantage, but it would suck to live in the same building and then be forced to shack up in a smaller place and not get to see Lenny.

It does make me wonder what the residents of the Marriott building will do as they will be within the bubble confines, and likely have to leave for work.

Anyways, I think overall this is good news for the City of Edmonton and the NHL. Edmonton (and Vancouver) were the best places to host. After the NHL pushed Vancouver out, Edmonton and Toronto are the next best. The NHL and NHLPA may have had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the right conclusion, but at least they landed there.

Now the NHL, NHLPA, and City of Edmonton just have to not be stupid about it. I don't think the bubble will be completely locked down (I think players will want to go for runs, play golf, etc), but they need to find a way to keep the players out of the bars, and from hooking up with the locals. The very worst case for both the NHL and the City of Edmonton is for this thing to result in a bubble outbreak or public outbreak and have the season come crashing to the ground or the city see a massive spike as a result of the guests.

They have to monitor where the players go, how they interact with, who gets in and out of the bubble. They have to not do stupid things like let asymptomatic players out of the hotel room (yes it sucks, but it is what it is. You can't have them mixing with other players or the Edmonton public). Already, there are something like 30 players with cases, and Virtanen was out posting pictures partying at a bar, so I'm skeptical of players showing the necessary discipline, but they really need to. And if they can't voluntarily, they need to be forced to.

I thought McDavid lived in a big modern cube house somewhere in town. He put up some videos recently of working out in his setups at home in the yard/garage.

Maybe he owns something at the JW too? Maybe to be fair and to eliminate home advantage he has to let Giordano live in it :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762937 is a reply to message #762936 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:11

I thought McDavid lived in a big modern cube house somewhere in town. He put up some videos recently of working out in his setups at home in the yard/garage.

Maybe he owns something at the JW too? Maybe to be fair and to eliminate home advantage he has to let Giordano live in it :)

Maybe. I've heard lots of locations of McDavid's "home", including Saskatchewan Drive (former), JW Marriott, and a few others. It was second hand I think I heard about the JW Marriott, that he designed his place during the build.

All I can really find to reference is...: https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/david-staples -6

...which granted, isn't much.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762939 is a reply to message #762937 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:16

Maybe. I've heard lots of locations of McDavid's "home", including Saskatchewan Drive (former), JW Marriott, and a few others. It was second hand I think I heard about the JW Marriott, that he designed his place during the build.

All I can really find to reference is...: https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/david-staples -6

I can't find the picture that I saw before. It kinda circulated a bit with Leafs fans making fun of McDavid's boring box shaped house and of course played along with how they say he has no personality and yadda yadda.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762943 is a reply to message #762939 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:44

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:16

I can't find the picture that I saw before. It kinda circulated a bit with Leafs fans making fun of McDavid's boring box shaped house and of course played along with how they say he has no personality and yadda yadda.

McD lives somewhere near the zoo. Still I bet numerous oilers have places right by the arena nowadays.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763028 is a reply to message #762943 ]
Mon, 06 July 2020 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The NHL finally makes the decision that was so blatantly obvious, just took them several weeks longer than it should.

Taking Covid out for a second, I never understood why Vegas was in there so long. I know it was all about money but nothing about the City made sense. They lack rinks and the weather has to be a factor. When it's above 40, you can't do anything in that. You can't be outside for long periods of time.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763048 is a reply to message #763028 ]
Tue, 07 July 2020 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 06 July 2020 07:30

The NHL finally makes the decision that was so blatantly obvious, just took them several weeks longer than it should.

Taking Covid out for a second, I never understood why Vegas was in there so long. I know it was all about money but nothing about the City made sense. They lack rinks and the weather has to be a factor. When it's above 40, you can't do anything in that. You can't be outside for long periods of time.

650 million reason buys a lot of favour for a while.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763051 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Tue, 07 July 2020 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Jason Gregor apparently said an Oiler tested positive for COVID last week? Did anyone catch that to confirm? (I've just seen that on Twitter floating around).

Based on Bob Stauffer's projected training camp roster and who he expects to be here...

Oilers already in Edmonton skating for Phase II (can't verify all of them are STILL skating though):

McDavid*
Drasaitl*
Nugent-Hopkins*
Kassian*
Yamamoto*
Ennis*
Athanasiou*
Nygard*
Haas*
Marody*
Khaira*
Marody*
Sheahan*
Neal*
McLeod*
Archibald*
Chiasson
Benson
P. Russell

Broberg*
Larsson*
Nurse*
Lagesson*
Bouchard*
Benning*
Klefbom*
K. Russell

Bear

Skinner*
Koskinen*

(*video of them in camp after July 2 on Oilers social).

Oilers I don't believe are here yet:

Green
C. Jones

Smith
Wells
Rodrigue

If it's true someone tested positive, feels like it has to be Klefbom since that would be his luck. Or maybe Jones at a Trump rally?

(EDITED to add Sheahan, Neal, McLeod, and Bouchard on July 8.)
(EDITED to add Klefbom, Koskinen, and Archibald on July 9).

[Updated on: Thu, 09 July 2020 17:14]

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763054 is a reply to message #763051 ]
Tue, 07 July 2020 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 07 July 2020 11:17

Jason Gregor apparently said an Oiler tested positive for COVID last week? Did anyone catch that to confirm? (I've just seen that on Twitter floating around).

Based on Bob Stauffer's projected training camp roster and who he expects to be here...

Oilers already in Edmonton skating for Phase II (can't verify all of them are STILL skating though):

McDavid*
Drasaitl*
Nugent-Hopkins*
Kassian*
Yamamoto*
Ennis*
Athanasiou*
Nygard*
Haas*
Marody*
Khaira*
Marody*
Chiasson
Benson
P. Russell

Broberg*
Larsson*
Nurse*
Lagesson*
Benning*
Bear

Skinner*

(*video of them in camp after July 2 on Oilers social).

Oilers I don't believe are here yet:

Sheahan
Archibald
Neal
McLeod

Klefbom
Green
K. Russell
C. Jones
Bouchard

Smith
Koskinen
Wells
Rodrigue

If it's true someone tested positive, feels like it has to be Klefbom since that would be his luck. Or maybe Jones at a Trump rally?

My money would be on Neal.

Rishaug is letting us down. You didn't break the story Ryan.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763275 is a reply to message #763051 ]
Mon, 13 July 2020 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Caleb Jones listed today as "unfit to practice". Read that how you will.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763278 is a reply to message #763275 ]
Mon, 13 July 2020 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 13 July 2020 11:10

Caleb Jones listed today as "unfit to practice". Read that how you will.

Oh man, good call on Jones :)

Hope he is good to go soon. We need him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763075 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Wed, 08 July 2020 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Just because .. too funny, never gets old!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CheeryIdioticBangeltiger.webp

rofl

Bieksa: Wow Kess, you really got KO'd! Hey, I gotta admit I was cheering for the kid.. bench too.. nobody really likes you.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RegularAnyCurlew.webp

wave

[Updated on: Wed, 08 July 2020 04:30]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763104 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Wed, 08 July 2020 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

I'm hearing rumblings that Edmonton will be the chosen spot for conference and Stanley Cup finals.

With the situation at the Miz this could be bad news with the whole hockey world full of entitled elitist attitudes gathering in our city. We still got time to handle this second wave and at least the experts are on top of the Miz situation and closed those borders fast.

So the Cup will be awarded in E-town! After all these years! Biggest question: Does Lowe get another ring no matter which team wins?

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763120 is a reply to message #763104 ]
Thu, 09 July 2020 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Wed, 08 July 2020 15:00

I'm hearing rumblings that Edmonton will be the chosen spot for conference and Stanley Cup finals.

With the situation at the Miz this could be bad news with the whole hockey world full of entitled elitist attitudes gathering in our city. We still got time to handle this second wave and at least the experts are on top of the Miz situation and closed those borders fast.

So the Cup will be awarded in E-town! After all these years! Biggest question: Does Lowe get another ring no matter which team wins?

Well he will be with the Edmonton organization when the cup is won in Edmonton, so that's something. How many non-Montreal Canadiens can say that?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763127 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 09 July 2020 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Near as I can tell, only Oilers not here yet are:

Green
C. Jones
Smith

And maybe Wells and Rodrigue if they are bringing them.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763281 is a reply to message #763127 ]
Mon, 13 July 2020 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 09 July 2020 17:13

Near as I can tell, only Oilers not here yet are:

Green
C. Jones
Smith

And maybe Wells and Rodrigue if they are bringing them.

Smith was there over the weekend.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763424 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Wed, 15 July 2020 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://edmontonjournal.com/business/local-business/restaura nts-to-join-nhl-bubble

The league fails to convince Joey Bell Tower to become part of the bubble...which makes sense...why would they? They'd need to convince their staff to live in a hotel for two months, so they could serve only hockey teams.

Best part of this whole article though?

Quote:

Gary Tomchuk, managing partner with the Sherlock Holmes Hospitality Group, said in an email the restaurant hasn’t been approached by the league and without knowing all the details that would be required to be a part of the bubble, he couldn’t comment.

Why even include that? There's no value from that paragraph. Was the writer just trying to show he'd called an extra downtown restaurant? First off, probably would have been better to call Chop. Second, when I think fine dining, I think Sherlock Holmes! Third, how exactly do you manipulate the bubble to get players there without leaving the bubble or seeing anyone? I wouldn't wait by the phone waiting for the NHL to call, Gary Tomchuk!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763863 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 23 July 2020 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The wall is being built:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Edo2jKoUYAAkgkv?format=jpg&n ame=900x900

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/attachments/image-jpg.355159/
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/attachments/image-jpg.355160/

Hope they don't cover all the fencing. Should let people view the players like they're zoo animals a little bit. Sitting in those sweet plastic chairs.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 July 2020 16:40]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763881 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Thu, 23 July 2020 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

homas Drance @ThomasDrance
The Edmonton 'Phase 4 Secure Zone', featuring a pop up sushi restaurant:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdqWpHkUEAIaky1?format=png&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763885 is a reply to message #763881 ]
Fri, 24 July 2020 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The phase 4 secure zone needs a flood pond.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #763886 is a reply to message #763885 ]
Fri, 24 July 2020 09:22 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 24 July 2020 08:25

The phase 4 secure zone needs a flood pond.

Didn't even register that this guy was trying to pull off a huge burn about Edmonton being the only NHL city not along the ocean. Was just posting for the map :)

...Ouch.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)
Next Topic:Lennstrom joins Oilers on one-year deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca