This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers pitch bid with government to host gamesPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762562 is a reply to message #762561 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 12:13

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 11:21

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 10:42

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 10:12

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-hub-city-decision-could-come-today-if -decision-reached-1.1489762

Looks like it's down to us vs. TO for the second site after Vegas with CHI and LA as fallback options

The more I think about it, the less I want this to happen here. Not that I wanted it that badly to start with. If we're bending over so the NHL can have all kinds of special conditions (COVID-19 positive people can keep on working in the "bubble") and we're hard selling to players that their families can go frolicking around the tourist areas of the province... it's starting to sound like a pretty bad idea. If we don't care about COVID-19 people interacting in the bubble, are we caring about the family members coming and going? Doubt it. Seems like our government is just desperate at this point.

The NHL is just playing cities against each other to see who will relax the health restrictions the most. They are masquerading about safety, but is low on priorities. And to be honest, I think the NHLPA is as much or more to blame. It’s the players that are saying they don’t want to come to Edmonton, not the league. The video the government did was solely for the WAGs.

They can go elsewhere, I have no interest in playing their game. If they want to put the season in jeopardy by holding in in places that are surging with cases, that’s on them. I doubt the season concludes did they do.

I would have strongly disagreed with this a week ago, but now I'm on board with everything you have said. Edmonton has more active cases than Calgary,and the bulk of the new cases have been people under 40. The virus is slowly but surely ebbing in Alberta, and the fewer temporary visitors from all over the world, the better for now.

I'll add my voice to the "no thank you" crowd. The last thing we need is Matthews rubbing his moustache on all the elevator buttons downtown.

Ideally what we want is a play-in team to win the lottery, and then Oil to lose in 3 to Chicago, win 1st pick and draft Lafreniere. Rebuild complete!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762564 is a reply to message #762562 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 12:35

Ideally what we want is a play-in team to win the lottery, and then Oil to lose in 3 to Chicago, win 1st pick and draft Lafreniere. Rebuild complete!

Oh man that would be scrumptious! Can we lose every game 7-6 with double Drai and Connor hatties? That way we can blame all our problems on goaltending.

With Lafreniere on deck, autonomous Ken can dangle Nuge and Puljujarvi for a 'tender.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762930 is a reply to message #762561 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 12:13

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 11:21

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 10:42

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 10:12

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-hub-city-decision-could-come-today-if -decision-reached-1.1489762

Looks like it's down to us vs. TO for the second site after Vegas with CHI and LA as fallback options

The more I think about it, the less I want this to happen here. Not that I wanted it that badly to start with. If we're bending over so the NHL can have all kinds of special conditions (COVID-19 positive people can keep on working in the "bubble") and we're hard selling to players that their families can go frolicking around the tourist areas of the province... it's starting to sound like a pretty bad idea. If we don't care about COVID-19 people interacting in the bubble, are we caring about the family members coming and going? Doubt it. Seems like our government is just desperate at this point.

The NHL is just playing cities against each other to see who will relax the health restrictions the most. They are masquerading about safety, but is low on priorities. And to be honest, I think the NHLPA is as much or more to blame. It’s the players that are saying they don’t want to come to Edmonton, not the league. The video the government did was solely for the WAGs.

They can go elsewhere, I have no interest in playing their game. If they want to put the season in jeopardy by holding in in places that are surging with cases, that’s on them. I doubt the season concludes did they do.

I would have strongly disagreed with this a week ago, but now I'm on board with everything you have said. Edmonton has more active cases than Calgary,and the bulk of the new cases have been people under 40. The virus is slowly but surely ebbing in Alberta, and the fewer temporary visitors from all over the world, the better for now.

Deaths of people in from 15 to 45 are below average now (based on Euro data), so it shouldn't be a concern.

It's like it should have been from the start, keep people at high-risk out of harm's way and let everyone else choose it they want the elevated risk. We don't stop people from working in the logging industry (most dangerous industry, Fatal injuries per 100,000 full-time equivalent workers: 97.6, Covid UK [worst country]: 68/100K).

[Updated on: Thu, 02 July 2020 14:44]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762931 is a reply to message #762930 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 14:41

It's like it should have been from the start, keep people at high-risk out of harm's way and let everyone else choose it they want the elevated risk. We don't stop people from working in the logging industry (most dangerous industry, Fatal injuries per 100,000 full-time equivalent workers: 97.6, Covid UK [worst country]: 68/100K).

That's what Sweden did... and it didn't turn out great, to be honest.

There's a lot of interests to balance and try and careful find the right weight for each. But it isn't out of place to the government to mandate certain temporary measures in the interest of public safety.

Ultimately people are going to make their own choices, but it isn't just deaths people should be concerned about (although they certainly should be concerned about that too). There's a lot of long-term damage that can be done, and in the case of athletes, it has the potential to be career-ending. It's low probability, but high stakes. I wouldn't fault any athlete for opting out for a season to protect their long-term career outlook.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762932 is a reply to message #762931 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 14:50

There's a lot of interests to balance and try and careful find the right weight for each. But it isn't out of place to the government to mandate certain temporary measures in the interest of public safety.

Ultimately people are going to make their own choices, but it isn't just deaths people should be concerned about (although they certainly should be concerned about that too). There's a lot of long-term damage that can be done, and in the case of athletes, it has the potential to be career-ending. It's low probability, but high stakes. I wouldn't fault any athlete for opting out for a season to protect their long-term career outlook.

Oddly, it was better than Spain, the UK, Italy, and God knows how many other countries that did full shut downs.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762934 is a reply to message #762932 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 14:55

Oddly, it was better than Spain, the UK, Italy, and God knows how many other countries that did full shut downs.

Right, but not as good as Norway or Denmark.

Location, density, and proximity play factors here too.

(Ironically, all the best urban planning practices have proven to be the absolute worst during a pandemic).

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762935 is a reply to message #762932 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

That's not really odd. Italy and Spain were both hit early, before the severity was really known. Their health systems were swamped before they did a shut down.

Sweden, like Canada, had the benefit of seeing what happened in other countries and adapting to that. The UK also didn't do a full shutdown early - they in fact said they were pursuing a herd immunity strategy at the point where other nations were shutting down. That went so poorly that they had to switch course.

As I've said before, with Sweden, if you compare it to the other Scandinavian countries, who got the first cases around the same time and who did shut downs as opposed to what Sweden did, the per capita cases and deaths are much worse for Sweden. Even the Swedish government has now said that their strategy was flawed, so unless you cherry pick stats, that is objectively not the best strategy to pursue.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762940 is a reply to message #762935 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:06

That's not really odd. Italy and Spain were both hit early, before the severity was really known. Their health systems were swamped before they did a shut down.

Sweden, like Canada, had the benefit of seeing what happened in other countries and adapting to that. The UK also didn't do a full shutdown early - they in fact said they were pursuing a herd immunity strategy at the point where other nations were shutting down. That went so poorly that they had to switch course.

As I've said before, with Sweden, if you compare it to the other Scandinavian countries, who got the first cases around the same time and who did shut downs as opposed to what Sweden did, the per capita cases and deaths are much worse for Sweden. Even the Swedish government has now said that their strategy was flawed, so unless you cherry pick stats, that is objectively not the best strategy to pursue.

Again, it's not death that measures the effectiveness of a lock down. Do you understand that? If not, no point in reading further.

Cherry picking stats of five countries that did worse. Right. Why can you only compare the two neighbours? Because they're titled as Scandinavian? Talk about cherry picking.

You probably haven't looked at the excess death stats. Maybe do that, if you're worries about deaths. Sweden didn't do that poorly at all, except if you cherry pick the stats and focus on two countries because they're land masses are close. Here's the excess death stats.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Now, most of Sweden's population is closer to Belgium, Lituania, Latvia, The Netherlands, Poland, and German than it is to the population masses of Norway and/or Finland.

The reality is, is that if you look at Europe... or if you must, look a countries near the population centers of Sweden, then they maybe did slightly worse, but definitely not the worst, yet had the weakest lockdown. Why is that? Because they're Scandinavian is not an adequate answer, but it is an easy conclusion - albeit wrong.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Population_density_by_NUTS_3_region_%282017%29.svg/1200px-Population_density_by_NUTS_3_region_%282017%29.svg.png

[Updated on: Thu, 02 July 2020 16:20]

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762941 is a reply to message #762940 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

The Beaverton with some absolute GOLD: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/07/nhl-chooses-toronto-as- hub-city-due-its-fans-having-most-experience-watching-other- teams-win/

TORONTO – The NHL said today that choosing Toronto as one of its two playoff hub cities was a “no brainer” due to Leafs’ fans long experience watching other visiting teams celebrate playoff victories on their ice. rofl

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762942 is a reply to message #762940 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 16:18

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 15:06

Again, it's not death that measures the effectiveness of a lock down. Do you understand that? If not, no point in reading further.

Cherry picking stats of five countries that did worse. Right. Why can you only compare the two neighbours? Because they're titled as Scandinavian? Talk about cherry picking.

You probably haven't looked at the excess death stats. Maybe do that, if you're worries about deaths. Sweden didn't do that poorly at all, except if you cherry pick the stats and focus on two countries because they're land masses are close. Here's the excess death stats.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Now, most of Sweden's population is closer to Belgium, Lituania, Latvia, The Netherlands, Poland, and German than it is to the population masses of Norway and/or Finland.

The reality is, is that if you look at Europe... or if you must, look a countries near the population centers of Sweden, then they maybe did slightly worse, but definitely not the worst, yet had the weakest lockdown. Why is that? Because they're Scandinavian is not an adequate answer, but it is an easy conclusion - albeit wrong.

Ugh...I know it's a waste of my time to explain things in intricate detail when someone is trying hard not to listen, but there's more than geographical reasons to compare Sweden with the other Scandinavian countries - of which I include Denmark, who did shut down and has much better numbers than Sweden.

Death and infection rates are important and should both be looked at. If I had a ton of time, I'd try to find information on the speed of the spread too - it was that which forced the UK to take this more seriously as the number of cases ramped up quickly and forced them to change their tack.

You have listed several countries as close to your example, so let's look at them along with Finland, Denmark and Norway:

Sweden - 69,692 cases	5,370 deaths	Cases/MM 6,901	Deaths/MM 532	Tests 519,113	Tests/MM 51,400  1st cases March 3rd
Finland - 7,236 cases	328 deaths	Cases/MM 1,306	Deaths/MM 59	Tests 246,000	Test/MM 44,398   1st cases March 1st
Norway - 8,896 cases	251 deaths 	Cases /MM 1,641	Deaths/MM 46	Tests 338,860	Tests/MM 62,505 1st cases Feb 27th
Denmark - 12,794 cases	606 deaths	Cases/MM 2,209	Deaths/MM 105	Tests 1,071,479	Test/MM 184,984  1st cases March 3rd	
Belgium - 61,509 cases	9,754 deaths	Cases/MM 5,307	Deaths/MM 842	Tests 1,239,232	Tests/MM 106,924  1st cases March 5th
Lithuania - 1,818 cases	78 deaths		Cases/MM 668	Deaths/MM 29	Tests 428,238	Tests/MM 157,335  1st cases March 10th
Latvia - 1,121 cases	30 deaths 		Cases/MM 594	Deaths/MM 16	Tests 152,778	Test/MM 81,007  1st cases March 8th
Netherlands - 50,335 cases	6,113 deaths	Cases/MM 2,938	Deaths/MM 357	Tests 616,376	Tests/MM 35,972 1st cases March 4th
Poland - 34,775 cases	1,477 deaths	Cases/MM 919	Deaths/MM 39	Tests 1,546,510	Tests/MM 40,863  1st cases March 6th
Germany - 196,324 cases	9,061 deaths	Cases/MM 2,343	Deaths/MM 108	Tests 5,873,563	Test/MM 70,103  1st cases March 5th 

So, using the sample group you proposed, with my couple additions for Sweden's neighbours we see that Sweden is by far the hardest hit in cases per million, and 2nd only to Belgium in deaths per million. That's not a coincidence, and even the epidemiologist behind Sweden's strategy thinks that:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behin d-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong

Objectively you get worse results without the shut down. Can we please stop pretending that Sweden shows otherwise?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762947 is a reply to message #762940 ]
Thu, 02 July 2020 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also, scroll the bar on week to week excess deaths, and you see Sweden spike up in week 13, and stay at High to Very High for several weeks. It's notably higher than any of its neighbours and only compares favourably to the early hit countries.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762956 is a reply to message #762947 ]
Fri, 03 July 2020 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 20:33

Also, scroll the bar on week to week excess deaths, and you see Sweden spike up in week 13, and stay at High to Very High for several weeks. It's notably higher than any of its neighbours and only compares favourably to the early hit countries.

Veering off topic a bit Mags and Adam, aren't we? The thing that's amusing about your different points of view is that you're talking about the same things, just how one nation is more effective or less effective against covid-19.

It actually doesn't matter how the data is presented, I think it can be distilled to a few things but ultimately it's about prevention. The spread of the virus in asymptomatic people is by far the hardest to protect and no matter if there is a bubble or protocols nothing stops anything if the carrier doesn't know they have the virus.

The bubble in Edmonton must be stringently and the NHL is going to go through hundreds of thousands of tests and everyone near a player should be tested. From wait staff to the bellhops, from the POHO to the guys preparing the rink, all of it, and in great frequency. Fail in that and this whole house of cards falls flat.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762960 is a reply to message #762956 ]
Fri, 03 July 2020 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

not entirely accurate. An asymptomatic person that wears a mask in public will prevent their own spread by 95%.
An asymptomatic person who social distances and respects others distancing themselves will prevent the spread by 98.5%

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762963 is a reply to message #762960 ]
Fri, 03 July 2020 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 03 July 2020 09:32

not entirely accurate. An asymptomatic person that wears a mask in public will prevent their own spread by 95%.
An asymptomatic person who social distances and respects others distancing themselves will prevent the spread by 98.5%

Follow the best practices inside a tight and secure bubble with testing, no one in or out, and your numbers are moot.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762968 is a reply to message #762963 ]
Fri, 03 July 2020 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2020/07/03/this-is-not-a-drill-conn or-mcdavid-is-back-skating-in-edmonton/

Look who's back in town! icon_smile

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762984 is a reply to message #762968 ]
Fri, 03 July 2020 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 03 July 2020 12:53

https://oilersnation.com/2020/07/03/this-is-not-a-drill-conn or-mcdavid-is-back-skating-in-edmonton/

Look who's back in town! icon_smile

OH YEAH!! Wave Towel

.. and Kassian has the chops back.. WOLVERINE! rock

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762957 is a reply to message #762947 ]
Fri, 03 July 2020 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 July 2020 20:33

Okay, so you don't know what a lockdown is for.

Also, Bloomberg v Euromomo. Brutal.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762565 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 26 June 2020 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

16 of 302 NBA players test positive on initial mandatory test. NHL players are the same. Young, rich, and in their mind, invincible. Letting these guys in without a 100% bubble is not a good idea.

Just Say No

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762825 is a reply to message #762565 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Vegas finally deemed no longer a front runner to host games. I guess they couldn't throw enough money at the NHL anymore to gloss over their out of control virus problem.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762828 is a reply to message #762565 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 26 June 2020 15:38

16 of 302 NBA players test positive on initial mandatory test. NHL players are the same. Young, rich, and in their mind, invincible. Letting these guys in without a 100% bubble is not a good idea.

Just Say No

I can't remember who the initial two NBA players were that caught the virus right before sports shut down (I miss sports, thank god I have marble racing). Do we know what happened to them? Have they recovered? How long did it take? Does it actually matter if pro athletes catch this virus? Like, are we worried Auston Matthews is going to die or be sick for months on end?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762833 is a reply to message #762828 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 15:54

Just Say No

I can't remember who the initial two NBA players were that caught the virus right before sports shut down (I miss sports, thank god I have marble racing). Do we know what happened to them? Have they recovered? How long did it take? Does it actually matter if pro athletes catch this virus? Like, are we worried Auston Matthews is going to die or be sick for months on end?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/nba-utah-jazz-covid -19-symptoms-1.5630776

Quote:

"I still feel strange things, but I have never been so long in my life without playing a basketball game," Gobert told L'Equipe.

"I don't know if that is it or the aftermath of the virus. I'm starting to train thoroughly, I still haven't played five-on-five, but I train individually, I do boxing, swimming, I run in the mountains. Today, I would not say that I feel more tired than before. But I had experiences, a month and a half ago, which scared me. I felt like ants in my toes and wondered what it could be. There were quite a few little things like that."

Here's one story on it. I don't think it's possible to look at any one person's experience as definitive though. There's been young, healthy people who've died from this too.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762831 is a reply to message #762565 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just Say No

I see a lot of these comments here and on twitter. I have not seen any suggestion that the NHL is looking to do an imperfect bubble where there's a bunch of people going in and out. That's a recipe for disaster and there's too much money at stake.

Has there been any talk anywhere about letting families come in to the bubble, never mind letting them come and go from it? I haven't seen it anywhere, other than that moron Matt Wolf using families of NHLers visiting Banff as an excuse for the ridiculous video that Kenney shared.

Players testing positive are self-isolating and recovering before they're brought in to the bubble. They aren't going to let those guys practice with each other until they're healthy. I believe the plan is to have training camps for two weeks starting July 8th. That will mean everyone will be tested, and then self-isolate in their home city (or designated surrogate in the case of Calgary). After that, they'll fly together to the hub city with everyone with a clean bill of health and being tested regularly. If someone is sick, they stay home until they're well enough to come to the hub.

I expect that the league will put some measures in place to protect the bubble. Less housekeeping at the hotel, food delivery managed carefully. Team staff under the same rules as the players. Small number of medical staff provided by host team and under similar precautions. No families, or if they have to come, they can't leave the bubble (which is a pretty good reason not to bring family unless it's critical). It will be important to set ground rules for players - leave the bubble, and you have to self-isolate for two weeks, which means no playing or practicing or even hanging out with your team.

If they do this, I don't see there being a huge amount of risk here either to the NHL, or to the hub city. I'm pretty agnostic about actually winning it - I think the experience as a fan isn't going to be massively different if the Oilers are playing in an empty Rogers Place, or an empty Air Canada Center (did it get re-named?). I don't own a downtown hotel or restaurant, so my fortunes don't change if the city wins it, and I doubt there's a ton of trickle down benefit to winning the hub. I don't think COVID-era Edmonton is going to get a swell of tourists because of this.

But I also don't see a massive risk either. 1000 visitors is small potatoes really, and as long as they're serious about maintaining the bubble (which they sure as hell should be), then the risk of an NHLer causing an outbreak in Edmonton is really low.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762834 is a reply to message #762831 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Even without a bubble, why are NHLERS at a higher risk of spreading the disease?

More than a typical 20 something?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762837 is a reply to message #762834 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 16:54

Even without a bubble, why are NHLERS at a higher risk of spreading the disease?

They're no more likely than anyone else to spread the disease. The concern people have is a thousand people coming from several different places to a hub. The more visitors, especially the more visitors from different places, and extra especially coming from hotspots like Florida and Arizona, the more risk you're bringing additional infected people to your city. Anyone they are in contact is at risk of catching and transmitting the disease further.

It's in the NHL (and NHLPA)'s best interest to keep the bubble tight, because their worst case scenario is a playoffs that stops partway and cancelling the playoffs due to multiple infected players, and potentially serious cases. That would be a black eye they'd want to avoid. It is how the last global pandemic ended for the NHL after all, including the death of a player in the Finals.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762839 is a reply to message #762837 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 17:16

They're no more likely than anyone else to spread the disease. The concern people have is a thousand people coming from several different places to a hub. The more visitors, especially the more visitors from different places, and extra especially coming from hotspots like Florida and Arizona, the more risk you're bringing additional infected people to your city. Anyone they are in contact is at risk of catching and transmitting the disease further.

It's in the NHL (and NHLPA)'s best interest to keep the bubble tight, because their worst case scenario is a playoffs that stops partway and cancelling the playoffs due to multiple infected players, and potentially serious cases. That would be a black eye they'd want to avoid. It is how the last global pandemic ended for the NHL after all, including the death of a player in the Finals.

Coaches and staff are vulnerable too. Players would probably feel like absolute crap if they ended up with their coach badly ill.

Was gonna bring up Boudreau, but forgot he got fired. Lucky him :)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 June 2020 17:51]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762840 is a reply to message #762839 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 17:49

Adam wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 17:16

Coaches and staff are vulnerable too. Players would probably feel like absolute crap if they ended up with their coach badly ill.

Was gonna bring up Boudreau, but forgot he got fired. Lucky him :)

Its gotta be a tight bubble including 24 teams and anyone that is going to be in proximity to them....all in the bubble, all the way down to the last 2 teams. Isolate 2 weeks inside the bubble, test daily, and maintain the integrity of the bubble. Cant have anyone associated mixing with the public even at social distances, otherwise they will get the positives if positives are the measure, it will break down and fail.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762841 is a reply to message #762840 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 18:21

Its gotta be a tight bubble including 24 teams and anyone that is going to be in proximity to them....all in the bubble, all the way down to the last 2 teams. Isolate 2 weeks inside the bubble, test daily, and maintain the integrity of the bubble. Cant have anyone associated mixing with the public even at social distances, otherwise they will get the positives if positives are the measure, it will break down and fail.

I haven't heard anything about the NHL bubble, but if its anything like the NBA's, because of how much they cater to the player, it's not nearly 100% a bubble.

NBA system allows them to use theme parks, golf courses, pools, walking/hiking trails, shopping, nightclubs will be set up, dining rooms will be set up. Families will be let in after 2nd round. Disney employees (chefs, cleaners, maintenance, etc) will be allowed to go home when shift is over and won't be constantly tested. Just too many holes.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762842 is a reply to message #762841 ]
Tue, 30 June 2020 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 19:02

I haven't heard anything about the NHL bubble, but if its anything like the NBA's, because of how much they cater to the player, it's not nearly 100% a bubble.

NBA system allows them to use theme parks, golf courses, pools, walking/hiking trails, shopping, nightclubs will be set up, dining rooms will be set up. Families will be let in after 2nd round. Disney employees (chefs, cleaners, maintenance, etc) will be allowed to go home when shift is over and won't be constantly tested. Just too many holes.

Which would be why it's so important to the NHL that they pick a place that won't come down on them if a COVID-19 case appears in the "bubble". Hard to blame them too. Months of trying to make hundreds of guys and possibly families live their lives completely perfect? It's pretty much impossible.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762851 is a reply to message #762842 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The Dany Heatley pitch worked! I hope Jasper is in the bubble or there will be a lot of pissed off spouses!

I was 100% wrong! But, who would have guessed that Las Vegas would turn into a cesspool icon_lol

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-and-toronto-set-to-be-nhl-hub-ci ties-1.1491108

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762855 is a reply to message #762851 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 07:57

The Dany Heatley pitch worked! I hope Jasper is in the bubble or there will be a lot of pissed off spouses!

I was 100% wrong! But, who would have guessed that Las Vegas would turn into a cesspool icon_lol

Wooo! Don’t know why there is a sense of pride in Edmonton being selected as a hub city, but there is. Kinda a feather in the cap I guess. I wonder if long term this might help us attract a couple free agents. Players get to see another side of Edmonton besides getting shipped from the airport to the hotel in the doldrums of winter

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762856 is a reply to message #762851 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pretty crazy. Definitely want details on what the plan actually is for letting the players families go around AB over the 2+ months. If we are cornering off chunks of Jasper of Banff, who is paying for that? If they are just letting families mix with the public and then come back to their family in the "bubble", well, I guess at least the NHL seems to have secured provisions from AB/ON on guys still being able to work in the "bubble" with asymptomatic COVID-19. Best of luck to the older coaches/staff and Max Domi :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762869 is a reply to message #762856 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 10:38

Pretty crazy. Definitely want details on what the plan actually is for letting the players families go around AB over the 2+ months. If we are cornering off chunks of Jasper of Banff, who is paying for that? If they are just letting families mix with the public and then come back to their family in the "bubble", well, I guess at least the NHL seems to have secured provisions from AB/ON on guys still being able to work in the "bubble" with asymptomatic COVID-19. Best of luck to the older coaches/staff and Max Domi :)

So is that +1 for urban sprawl? I think that a MAJOR comorbidity factor of Covid death (not contraction) was air pollution. More people over less land = less air pollution per area, which then equals less badness happening when people contract Covid. Control sample Wuhan, NYC, and Saskatoon.

I live in DT so I don't get that protection, but I can only imagine that DT would be worse if it wasn't for Terwillegarites and Millywooders.

What's my point? I guess, I think being spread out is a pretty good thing, especially if you fill that space with green space.

Also, good job Katz.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762870 is a reply to message #762869 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

[quote title=Magnum wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 13:43]
Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 10:38

So is that +1 for urban sprawl? I think that a MAJOR comorbidity factor of Covid death (not contraction) was air pollution. More people over less land = less air pollution per area, which then equals less badness happening when people contract Covid. Control sample Wuhan, NYC, and Saskatoon.

I live in DT so I don't get that protection, but I can only imagine that DT would be worse if it wasn't for Terwillegarites and Millywooders.

What's my point? I guess, I think being spread out is a pretty good thing, especially if you fill that space with green space.

Also, good job Katz.

Also again, Jasper is probably in the bubble, but it's not the Jasper most people want to go to. Except Hall, well, he was more of a Whyte Ave kinda dude.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762858 is a reply to message #762851 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I wonder what the dressing room situation will be? Like, are all the other clubs going to use the baller home dressing rooms or do the arenas have more than one "non-home" dressing room?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762860 is a reply to message #762858 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 10:47

I wonder what the dressing room situation will be? Like, are all the other clubs going to use the baller home dressing rooms or do the arenas have more than one "non-home" dressing room?

Rexall Place definitely had several dressing rooms - although the Visitor Room was a big step up from those, and the Oilers room was much better yet.

I don't know about Rogers Place though...most I've seen is a glimpse in to the Oilers room from the doorway.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762859 is a reply to message #762842 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 19:56

Which would be why it's so important to the NHL that they pick a place that won't come down on them if a COVID-19 case appears in the "bubble". Hard to blame them too. Months of trying to make hundreds of guys and possibly families live their lives completely perfect? It's pretty much impossible.

It does sound like the PA was concerned about Vegas because with it +40 or more regularly, the players wouldn't really be able to do anything during the days. No golfing, no running outside. So suddenly Edmonton becomes more appealing than Vegas! The Vegas of the North! Mayor Bill Smith's dream finally accomplished.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762865 is a reply to message #762859 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 10:50

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 30 June 2020 19:56

It does sound like the PA was concerned about Vegas because with it +40 or more regularly, the players wouldn't really be able to do anything during the days. No golfing, no running outside. So suddenly Edmonton becomes more appealing than Vegas! The Vegas of the North! Mayor Bill Smith's dream finally accomplished.

Maybe Iveson sent the NHL a video showcasing all the things for the players to do in downtown Edmonton: wander around Boyle-McCauley, explore the Chinatown/East Jasper Ave business areas, walk the wilds of 105 Ave north of the arena, take the LRT to the exciting Northlands' grounds, go to the Public Library Galactica, urban explore the abandoned parts of Edmonton Centre, and take the express bus to WEM.

NHL: So there is NO reason for the players to leave their hotel rooms, the pedway or the arena?

Ivy: Nope

NHL: Hub!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762861 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
EDM gets the Hub, an obvious decision that took too long to make. Lowest COVID by far.
They’ll also get Oilers and West teams, my understanding, with East playing in TOR.
Makes no sense for TV to have East teams out West.

I guess surprising, but not really surprising? I guess 1 team being at home in the "bubble" isn't really that big of a deal. Not enough to override how you can have all the teams playing their games in time slots that line up with where most of the fans of those teams are.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762862 is a reply to message #762861 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 10:55

EDM gets the Hub, an obvious decision that took too long to make. Lowest COVID by far.
They’ll also get Oilers and West teams, my understanding, with East playing in TOR.

I guess surprising, but not really surprising? I guess 1 team being at home in the "bubble" isn't really that big of a deal. Not enough to override how you can have all the teams playing their games in time slots that line up with where most of the fans of those teams are.

And really, what's the home ice advantage? The team hasn't played in the building in months. There's no fans, so no emotional boost. They still have to stay in hotels, because the bubble isn't secure if they're in their own houses. Is it just that there's Oilers logos in the building?

Spector's still a bit of an idiot here. If the NHL had decided this earlier, they wouldn't have picked Edmonton, because there wasn't the resurgence in Nevada yet.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762871 is a reply to message #762862 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 11:01

And really, what's the home ice advantage? The team hasn't played in the building in months. There's no fans, so no emotional boost. They still have to stay in hotels, because the bubble isn't secure if they're in their own houses. Is it just that there's Oilers logos in the building?

Spector's still a bit of an idiot here. If the NHL had decided this earlier, they wouldn't have picked Edmonton, because there wasn't the resurgence in Nevada yet.

We have a guy in our office like Spector, who makes the easy conclusion everytime and thinks he's a genius, because the general population agrees with it. I can't stand easy conclusion guys or girls.

I'm ADDing hard today.

Anyway, I think most psychologist will agree that a sense of familiarity with affect things. Could be good could be bad, but it will have an effect.

Also, I think if you're the Oilers and you win at home, you know that right outside your doors, there's an entire pulsating population cheering for you. That could count for something, but it might make it enerving to be playing in a rink your familiar with, while zero people are cheering for you, while other teams are used to not being cheered for in that rink.

So many factors.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762872 is a reply to message #762871 ]
Wed, 01 July 2020 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 13:51

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 11:01

We have a guy in our office like Spector, who makes the easy conclusion everytime and thinks he's a genius, because the general population agrees with it. I can't stand easy conclusion guys or girls.

I'm ADDing hard today.

Anyway, I think most psychologist will agree that a sense of familiarity with affect things. Could be good could be bad, but it will have an effect.

Also, I think if you're the Oilers and you win at home, you know that right outside your doors, there's an entire pulsating population cheering for you. That could count for something, but it might make it enerving to be playing in a rink your familiar with, while zero people are cheering for you, while other teams are used to not being cheered for in that rink.

So many factors.

There probably is some little advantage to using the facilities you have been familiar with through the playoffs. I wonder if they force the Oilers to use the visitor room though :) Still, all the other facilities and equipment, it's probably going to be nice for the players and the support staff.

And long shot, if we actually move through the playoffs and Edmonton gets these increasing cases under control. Imagine if we could open up allowing something like 1/5th capacity for sporting events? Nice little bonus for the league, and maybe the Oilers could have a friendly crowd up there.

Ugh...probably getting way ahead of myself there about the OIlers going far, but one can dream :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)
Next Topic:Lennstrom joins Oilers on one-year deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca