This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers pitch bid with government to host gamesPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761680 is a reply to message #761679 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:12

What about practice ice in Vegas? If you google ice surfaces in Vegas, not very many come up. If you have a whole bunch of teams all needing practice ice or ice to at least skate on prior to a game. With I assume a few games going a day in the main rink, you are going to need multiple other rinks. So the main rink and maybe the Knights practice rink have state of the art ice plants but what about the few others? I have a hard time believing that the a privately owned public skating rink has an ice plant designed to make remotely close NHL caliber ice when it's 50 outside.

Would I want McDavid who skates as fast as he does going out and potentially injuring himself doing a morning skate or a practice because the ice is complete garbage but that's all Vegas has? No way. But I doubt the NHL cares about that stuff.

Knights practice rink for sure. Hypothetically I guess you could probably turn the Thomas & Mack Center back into an ice rink (it was the home of the Las Vegas Thunder during the International Hockey League days), and the MGM Grand has an area which has hosted hockey previously. Neither is ideal, and I'm not sure whether they would be utilized, but they exist.

But are they capable of making ice an NHL team can use when it's close to 50 outside? I've been to Vegas in late July, early August. The time when teams would all be in Vegas ready to play looking to skate. It was high 40's every day. I am sure with it's state of the art ice plant, the Knights main rink wouldn't have a problem. Maybe the Knights practice ice wouldn't have a problem. But the other rinks? I'd be surprised.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761681 is a reply to message #761679 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

This is Dany Heatley all over again.

No one is going to take Edmonton over a big market city.

The only reason possible, is a health one, and I can't see Edmonton as having a health advantage. Sure, we have an adjacent hotel, we aren't alone in having that amenity. Edmonton isn't a popular option and with our Fed getting in the way of this, it's seems highly unlikely.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761683 is a reply to message #761681 ]
Mon, 15 June 2020 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:44

The only reason possible, is a health one, and I can't see Edmonton as having a health advantage. Sure, we have an adjacent hotel, we aren't alone in having that amenity. Edmonton isn't a popular option and with our Fed getting in the way of this, it's seems highly unlikely.

Feds didn't actually get in the way. They said recently that they'd allow group isolation for the NHL teams.

It looks like there's a good chance they ARE picking a Canadian city, but it just won't be Edmonton.

The only thing that makes this look Heatley-esque is the amount of public lobbying for the NHL to come here.

At the end of the day, while it would have been a nice little boost for hotels and restaurants, it wouldn't have made much difference when it comes to watching games. It's unlikely there will be many allowed in the building, and even if that were to change and a limited number of fans were allowed at some point, there has been talk that the league wouldn't let the home team play in their own rink.

On that note - it will be interesting if they have Western teams in the Eastern hub and vice versa. They'd be playing games starting in the late afternoon out of the West, and starting games fairly late at night in the Eastern city.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761738 is a reply to message #761683 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 13:07

Magnum wrote on Mon, 15 June 2020 12:44

Feds didn't actually get in the way. They said recently that they'd allow group isolation for the NHL teams.

It looks like there's a good chance they ARE picking a Canadian city, but it just won't be Edmonton.

The only thing that makes this look Heatley-esque is the amount of public lobbying for the NHL to come here.

At the end of the day, while it would have been a nice little boost for hotels and restaurants, it wouldn't have made much difference when it comes to watching games. It's unlikely there will be many allowed in the building, and even if that were to change and a limited number of fans were allowed at some point, there has been talk that the league wouldn't let the home team play in their own rink.

On that note - it will be interesting if they have Western teams in the Eastern hub and vice versa. They'd be playing games starting in the late afternoon out of the West, and starting games fairly late at night in the Eastern city.

We have a different recollection of the events regarding the feds.

This Heatley-esq in that the City really wants it and we'd feel special getting it, and there is no chance of it happening, yet we wait in hope while better options present themselves in the minds of the decision makers.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761746 is a reply to message #761738 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilers 101  is currently offline Oilers 101

No Cups

I didn't recall anything from the federal government supporting or opposing the NHL from coming. I have this friend, where I type questions in a search box and it answers it. My friend shared an article from TSN on June 8th https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-canadian-government-continue-dialogue -on-hub-city-1.1484115.

"As of now, Canadian federal law requires those entering the country to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival, making it tough to foresee the NHL deciding on one hub city in Canada and one in the United States. However, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has discussed possible exceptions with the federal government, including the possibility of allowing the NHL's bubble environment to serve as part of the two-week quarantine which would allow games and practices to continue."

It is only one source of information and there might be other sources out there. This does not seem that the "Feds are getting in the way of this". But, like everything else in Alberta society, I do think that they should be the scapegoat if Edmonton does not become a hub city. #BlameCanada

"Our Lord who art in Rexall, Connor be thy name"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761748 is a reply to message #761746 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Oilers101 update that signature yo!

Even if Connor art not in Rogers.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761784 is a reply to message #761748 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilers 101  is currently offline Oilers 101

No Cups

Just like my clothes. I am hoping that this avatar comes back into fashion. Maybe Hall is an Oiler in 2020-2021?

"Our Lord who art in Rexall, Connor be thy name"

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761772 is a reply to message #761746 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oilers 101 wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 09:37

I didn't recall anything from the federal government supporting or opposing the NHL from coming. I have this friend, where I type questions in a search box and it answers it. My friend shared an article from TSN on June 8th https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-canadian-government-continue-dialogue -on-hub-city-1.1484115.

"As of now, Canadian federal law requires those entering the country to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival, making it tough to foresee the NHL deciding on one hub city in Canada and one in the United States. However, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has discussed possible exceptions with the federal government, including the possibility of allowing the NHL's bubble environment to serve as part of the two-week quarantine which would allow games and practices to continue."

It is only one source of information and there might be other sources out there. This does not seem that the "Feds are getting in the way of this". But, like everything else in Alberta society, I do think that they should be the scapegoat if Edmonton does not become a hub city. #BlameCanada

So not lifting the 2 weeks is not getting in the way?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761774 is a reply to message #761772 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 12:26

From the other thread:

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 11 June 2020 17:06

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Looks like a solution to the 14 day quarantine is on the way from the Fed Govt. that should allow all 3 Canadian markets to remain viable options as hub cities, and for Cdn teams to hold their training camps north of the border. Details to come in the next few days.

You broke the story Ryan

The Feds have told the NHL it's fine. If (when) they pick Toronto, we will see them exempted and allowed to be alone together.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761786 is a reply to message #761774 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 12:33

From the other thread:

Looks like a solution to the 14 day quarantine is on the way from the Fed Govt. that should allow all 3 Canadian markets to remain viable options as hub cities, and for Cdn teams to hold their training camps north of the border. Details to come in the next few days.

You broke the story Ryan

The Feds have told the NHL it's fine. If (when) they pick Toronto, we will see them exempted and allowed to be alone together.

On June 11 they said the solution was on the way... hmmm sounds not great.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761787 is a reply to message #761786 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 13:51

From the other thread:

You broke the story Ryan

You have to think about this from a political viewpoint. If you say publicly that you'll make an exception and you don't land the hub city anyhow, you get all the negatives of that - slammed by other parties for making exceptions - without any of the benefit.

They will have told the NHL by now what they're willing to do, but there's no sense announcing that until the NHL announces where it is going.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761788 is a reply to message #761787 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 14:02

From the other thread:

You broke the story Ryan

You have to think about this from a political viewpoint. If you say publicly that you'll make an exception and you don't land the hub city anyhow, you get all the negatives of that - slammed by other parties for making exceptions - without any of the benefit.

They will have told the NHL by now what they're willing to do, but there's no sense announcing that until the NHL announces where it is going.

Fair enough, looks like Canada would be seen as less desirable as a result of this. Maybe not, I'd say with a good degree of confidence that I don't know how that would be interpreted by the NHL.

To the main point, I don't think Edmonton was ever in the running for the playoffs. It was nice to think that we were.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761789 is a reply to message #761788 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 14:30

Adam wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 14:02

From the other thread:

You broke the story Ryan

Fair enough, looks like Canada would be seen as less desirable as a result of this. Maybe not, I'd say with a good degree of confidence that I don't know how that would be interpreted by the NHL.

To the main point, I don't think Edmonton was ever in the running for the playoffs. It was nice to think that we were.

The NHL was in contact with all the different branches of government. They know what they're facing and it was never a real issue. It's only been an optics issue from a premier who wants a reason to blame Ottawa when, inevitably, Edmonton isn't the host.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761811 is a reply to message #761789 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Not an accusatory question.

How do you know these things, just Google?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761838 is a reply to message #761811 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 16 June 2020 22:00

Not an accusatory question.

How do you know these things, just Google?

Google, twitter, common sense.

It was common knowledge weeks ago that the NHL was talking to stakeholders. We have also had almost 30 years of Gary Bettman, so we should all know how he operates by now. He's nothing if not thorough and he works all the angles. He will have been playing off hub cities against each other from the beginning.

Also, some understanding of how politicians work - you don't take a firm position on something that's going to get you lambasted by a segment of the population no matter what unless you know there's a clear win there.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761777 is a reply to message #761746 ]
Tue, 16 June 2020 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

If the players of the team all fly into the City they normally play in from where ever they are. They quarantine themselves for 2 weeks like the league says they need to do. They are tested and they pass. Then the team charters a plane like they always do and flies into the hub City. I am sure every team basically has their own plane with the same crew. So you in the 2 weeks the players are in quarantines, you tell the crew to do the same. The crew is tested. On the flight there is nothing but cleared people. So you fly into the hub City with nothing but tested, cleared people. You are bused to your hotel or place you are living that is locked down.

So for a minimum of 2 weeks, every person coming into the hub City has had no contact with anyone other than cleared people and they have been tested, why would it be necessary to have these players quarantine another 2 weeks to satisfy the Feds once they come into Canada? It made absolutely no sense so yes, the Feds were getting in the way.

If these guys were coming from where ever in the world directly to the hub City using commercial flights, then YES, they need to quarantine. But they wouldn't be.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761814 is a reply to message #761646 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 14 June 2020 01:35

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 13 June 2020 14:09

Seeing some talk that Edmonton is pretty much out now as a potential hub city because of the change from 4 teams to 2. We have the nearby hotel, but because the NHL doubled the amount of teams per location, capacity becomes an issue here. We can't properly accommodate all the players/staff for 12 teams.

We've got: JW Marriott, Westin, Fairmont... where else would you put them? Sutton Place? Courtyard by Marriott? Doubletree? A city wouldn't have to work hard to beat those last three options.

I'm not sure that health is actually much of a priority for the NHL, but if it was, it's conceivable we might lose it to Vancouver anyways.

Edmonton now up to 160 active cases (+97) from reopening on May 14th, and up from 44 active cases at the beginning of June. Vancouver Coastal Region is down to 80 active cases. Fraser Region has 105 active cases. From Whistler to Vancouver to Chilliwack, it's about 185 active cases. There's an argument to be made that Vancouver (especially downtown Vancouver) is a better destination to host at this point.

Look - it should be plenty clear by now that the NHL just doesn't want to come here.

Vancouver also has the edge with a true resort experience with the massive squalor of East Hastings just a couple blocks away from the Rogers Arena resort zone...an opportunity to experience local culture.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761818 is a reply to message #761814 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Pierre Lebrun has Chicago as a strong contender for hosting NHL games.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-nhl-hub-cities-decision-l ikely-coming-next-week-1.1486599

"LeBrun: And to your point, Bob, and I certainly think itโ€™s next week when we finally get some clarity on this issue. Monday on the Board of Governors call, Gary Bettman, Iโ€™m told, listed all 10 markets again as still being in the mix so theyโ€™re going to push this as long as they can before picking those two cities. One American city that has pushed through of late is Chicago, by the way. Yes, Vegas is a lock, but if for whatever reason a Toronto or Vancouver or Edmonton canโ€™t work out, a lot of people like Chicago. Iโ€™ll tell you who also likes Chicago, players like being in Chicago. And thatโ€™s a consideration when the two sides try to figure out the two hubs. But certainly good news on the Canadian front today.โ€‹"

Hopefully the Oilers series with Chicago will be played in Vegas, not The Windy City.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761821 is a reply to message #761814 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

What is wrong with the Hotel Macdonald? It used to be quite nice especially after the major renovation (10 years ago?). Fairmont usually has nice properties.

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 17 June 2020 01:47

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 14 June 2020 01:35

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 13 June 2020 14:09

Seeing some talk that Edmonton is pretty much out now as a potential hub city because of the change from 4 teams to 2. We have the nearby hotel, but because the NHL doubled the amount of teams per location, capacity becomes an issue here. We can't properly accommodate all the players/staff for 12 teams.

We've got: JW Marriott, Westin, Fairmont... where else would you put them? Sutton Place? Courtyard by Marriott? Doubletree? A city wouldn't have to work hard to beat those last three options.

I'm not sure that health is actually much of a priority for the NHL, but if it was, it's conceivable we might lose it to Vancouver anyways.

Edmonton now up to 160 active cases (+97) from reopening on May 14th, and up from 44 active cases at the beginning of June. Vancouver Coastal Region is down to 80 active cases. Fraser Region has 105 active cases. From Whistler to Vancouver to Chilliwack, it's about 185 active cases. There's an argument to be made that Vancouver (especially downtown Vancouver) is a better destination to host at this point.

Look - it should be plenty clear by now that the NHL just doesn't want to come here.

Vancouver also has the edge with a true resort experience with the massive squalor of East Hastings just a couple blocks away from the Rogers Arena resort zone...an opportunity to experience local culture.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761824 is a reply to message #761821 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 17 June 2020 12:40

What is wrong with the Hotel Macdonald? It used to be quite nice especially after the major renovation (10 years ago?). Fairmont usually has nice properties.

Nothing... problem is if the city is hosting 12 teams, and the NHL/NHLPA want only 2 teams per hotel, you need about 6 "high quality" hotels.

Edmonton has three: JW Marriott, Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, and Westin (which honestly, is probably a stretch too, but teams sometimes stay there when they are in town).

There's a lot of others downtown - Delta City Center, Sutton Place, Doubletree, Courtyard by Marriott, but I'm not sure those meet the standards the NHL / NHLPA is looking for. Most of the other cities on the list - certainly Vancouver and Toronto - have more "quality" hotels in the downtown core.

If they were doing four teams per hotel, you'd only need three "high quality" hotels and could probably make a case, but finding six is a challenge.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761832 is a reply to message #761824 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 17 June 2020 13:21

Nothing... problem is if the city is hosting 12 teams, and the NHL/NHLPA want only 2 teams per hotel, you need about 6 "high quality" hotels.

Edmonton has three: JW Marriott, Fairmont Hotel MacDonald, and Westin (which honestly, is probably a stretch too, but teams sometimes stay there when they are in town).

There's a lot of others downtown - Delta City Center, Sutton Place, Doubletree, Courtyard by Marriott, but I'm not sure those meet the standards the NHL / NHLPA is looking for. Most of the other cities on the list - certainly Vancouver and Toronto - have more "quality" hotels in the downtown core.

If they were doing four teams per hotel, you'd only need three "high quality" hotels and could probably make a case, but finding six is a challenge.

The NHL also wants suites for all the players as well or extemely large rooms. I have stayed in a few hotels you mentioned and they NHL wont put their players up in them

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761836 is a reply to message #761824 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lots of teams have stayed in the Sutton Place hotel historically (I used to work in the Bell Tower and you'd often seen players wandering the pedways from there) but yeah - it's a bit dated.

I always have heard Hotel Mac has tiny rooms too. If you were going to spend two months in a hotel room with little to do, I think that wouldn't be the one you'd want. (Caveat - Hotel Mac is one Fairmont property I've never stayed a night in so this is anecdotal.)

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761857 is a reply to message #761836 ]
Wed, 17 June 2020 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 June 2020 15:26

Lots of teams have stayed in the Sutton Place hotel historically (I used to work in the Bell Tower and you'd often seen players wandering the pedways from there) but yeah - it's a bit dated.

I always have heard Hotel Mac has tiny rooms too. If you were going to spend two months in a hotel room with little to do, I think that wouldn't be the one you'd want. (Caveat - Hotel Mac is one Fairmont property I've never stayed a night in so this is anecdotal.)

Doesnโ€™t sound great a massive caveat in that quote. TJ:

โ€œWe have indicated that we are comfortable with moving forward on an NHL hub in one of three Canadian cities that are asking for it. Obviously, the decision has to be made by the NHL and the cities and provinces in the jurisdiction, but Canada is open to it as long as it is OKโ€™d by the local health authorities.โ€

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761963 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

TSN reported that Vegas is essentially a lock. Yeah hotel spaces and lots of adults to do, but 45C temps with wind? It's hell on earth.

I don't get it... maybe because it's in the pacific time zone?

I think Toronto gets the second.

I feel bad for Edmonton we could really use some good news around these parts. Not so much for hockey but for our business that support this area. Lots of people starving for income flow.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761966 is a reply to message #761963 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 09:52

TSN reported that Vegas is essentially a lock. Yeah hotel spaces and lots of adults to do, but 45C temps with wind? It's hell on earth.

I feel bad for Edmonton we could really use some good news around these parts. Not so much for hockey but for our business that support this area. Lots of people starving for income flow.

Yeah if Vegas is in, Vancouver and Edmonton are out. It'll go to the east. Without fans, probably easier to manage ice when it's hot AF outside. There was a time when Edmonton had a chance because of covid numbers, that's probably passed.

It'd be a morale boost. Going to be hard times for many going forward, pretty sad.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761969 is a reply to message #761963 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Time zones don't matter. Even East/West doesn't really matter. There's been talk of teams not playing in their own city, which would require flipping the conferences. I don't think that'll happen in the end - I think they'll decide that there's not much advantage playing in the home rink with no fans.

Covid numbers of active cases in all of Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver are so low that they're almost statistically irrelevant.

In the end, the biggest factors are going to be where can they best accommodate Sportsnet and NBC - that's a huge one, since that's where all the revenues come from. If Sportsnet doesn't have to move crews around the country because all their best people and gear sits in Toronto, that's a tremendous advantage.

The accommodations one is the other big piece and it's hard to argue that Edmonton compares. We just don't have as many nice hotels. I know people are going to be upset about that because they don't think that's as important as health and while it isn't, if the difference is risk is pretty miniscule, these other factors are big. They're asking players to isolate away from family and friends for an extended period of time, so they're going to need nice accommodations. I think that makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure there's other factors as well, but those are the big ones. I expect that the NHL had a pretty good idea where it wanted to land at the outset of all of this, and that it's unlikely they've changed that outlook as this has proceeded. They just needed the other cities in order to get the best deals from their chosen centers.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761986 is a reply to message #761969 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 10:23

Time zones don't matter. Even East/West doesn't really matter. There's been talk of teams not playing in their own city, which would require flipping the conferences. I don't think that'll happen in the end - I think they'll decide that there's not much advantage playing in the home rink with no fans.

Covid numbers of active cases in all of Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver are so low that they're almost statistically irrelevant.

In the end, the biggest factors are going to be where can they best accommodate Sportsnet and NBC - that's a huge one, since that's where all the revenues come from. If Sportsnet doesn't have to move crews around the country because all their best people and gear sits in Toronto, that's a tremendous advantage.

The accommodations one is the other big piece and it's hard to argue that Edmonton compares. We just don't have as many nice hotels. I know people are going to be upset about that because they don't think that's as important as health and while it isn't, if the difference is risk is pretty miniscule, these other factors are big. They're asking players to isolate away from family and friends for an extended period of time, so they're going to need nice accommodations. I think that makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure there's other factors as well, but those are the big ones. I expect that the NHL had a pretty good idea where it wanted to land at the outset of all of this, and that it's unlikely they've changed that outlook as this has proceeded. They just needed the other cities in order to get the best deals from their chosen centers.

Yeah, for time zones. I see no reason why if they were in Edmonton they couldn't start their games at 5pm locally so people out east get to watch at 7pm. Maybe players would actually not mind that with more time to unwind after the game.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761987 is a reply to message #761986 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 12:02

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 10:23

Yeah, for time zones. I see no reason why if they were in Edmonton they couldn't start their games at 5pm locally so people out east get to watch at 7pm. Maybe players would actually not mind that with more time to unwind after the game.

And if all their games are around the same time, then they can change their schedules accordingly, get up earlier, go to bed earlier. They don't have to travel, and they're going to have a couple weeks in the hub before games start so they really can start games any time.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761973 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Well, that didn't take long.

Bob McKenzie reporting that one NHL team has had to close their training facility because multiple players and staff have COVID.

This is going to be a challenge.

Only way the NHL will make a go of this is if they lock down the bubble air tight and make sure no one enters it without quarantining / being tested.

Health seems to be a secondary concern and it's going to be their downfall, I think.

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761978 is a reply to message #761973 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:12

Bob McKenzie reporting that one NHL team has had to close their training facility because multiple players and staff have COVID.

Only way the NHL will make a go of this is if they lock down the bubble air tight and make sure no one enters it without quarantining / being tested.

Health seems to be a secondary concern and it's going to be their downfall, I think.

Friedman saying it's Tampa that's shut down.

They should make another video!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761979 is a reply to message #761978 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:29

Whole team with masks cruising on the ocean to a COVID-19 testing site? I'd watch.

Florida breaking their daily case increase numbers every day lately. 80% of ICU beds in use and patients being shipped around because many hospitals are full. They should probably move their training camp if they start up again.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2020 11:43]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761980 is a reply to message #761979 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:41

Whole team with masks cruising on the ocean to a COVID-19 testing site? I'd watch.

It's probably the fault of that guy who was working as a waiter...

Florida is a COVID tire fire right now. They really should just move their players to Calgary for Phase 2 - I understand the Saddledome is available...

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761981 is a reply to message #761979 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Florida breaking their daily case increase numbers every day lately. 80% of ICU beds in use and patients being shipped around because many hospitals are full. They should probably move their training camp if they start up again.

NHL should really be going to where COVID is least. Florida ain't it. (Neither is Nevada).

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761983 is a reply to message #761981 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:44

NHL should really be going to where COVID is least. Florida ain't it. (Neither is Nevada).

Why would you say that?

Quote:

Dobber
@DobberHockey
ยท
2m
New cases in Canada, last 7 days: 2688

New cases in Florida today:

Ohhhhh...

I'm sure it's just because they're doing so many tests there though, right?

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762006 is a reply to message #761981 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Friedman on Oilersnow says that the NHL may be shifting away from US now with the case increases and we might end up with 2 Canadian hub cities. lol. THis is all over the place.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762010 is a reply to message #762006 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 13:43

Friedman on Oilersnow says that the NHL may be shifting away from US now with the case increases and we might end up with 2 Canadian hub cities. lol. THis is all over the place.

Who knows, maybe Fake Matty will have had it right all along!

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761982 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
Heard from a very reliable source that #Edmonton has been chosen as an @NHL playoffs hub city. Official announcement coming soon.

eh? Is this still hacked account Matty?

Edit: yes, it's the hacked one :) So, 99.9999999% chance it's bull.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2020 12:00]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761984 is a reply to message #761982 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:45

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
Heard from a very reliable source that #Edmonton has been chosen as an @NHL playoffs hub city. Official announcement coming soon.

Does Matty still have reliable sources? He's not exactly Sam Spade when it comes to chasing down clues...

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #761985 is a reply to message #761984 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:55

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 11:45

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

Does Matty still have reliable sources? He's not exactly Sam Spade when it comes to chasing down clues...

bah, I shoulda looked. That's actually the Matty account where someone took his @NHLbyMatty. 63 followers.

@nhl_by_matty is the real one now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762011 is a reply to message #760423 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Steve Simmons is saying that Auston Matthews tested positive while in Arizona.

I'll believe it when somebody else says it.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers pitch bid with government to host games [message #762012 is a reply to message #762011 ]
Fri, 19 June 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 19 June 2020 14:07

Steve Simmons is saying that Auston Matthews tested positive while in Arizona.

I'll believe it when somebody else says it.

He heard it from someone who sells him hot dogs!

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton vs Calgary (Exhibition)
Next Topic:Lennstrom joins Oilers on one-year deal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca