F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » NHL Season SuspendedPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757998 is a reply to message #757919 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

With the NHL season postponed/potentially cancelled and the playoffs up in the air. It's pretty realistic to think that the NHL is going to lose a lot of revenue this year and it might impact the next season. The NHL came out awhile ago and projected the cap raising. I can't see how that happens now. Every year, there are players who will be looking for deals and who will count on teams having the cap space and in the same, count on the cap to go up to help teams get more space. The players and teams are supposed to be 50-50 so the more money the league makes, the more the cap goes up, the more the players makes.

So with this unforeseen problem with this virus that will ultimately hurt league revenue and in turn hurt unsigned players salaries. I wonder if the players Union would be open to and the league agreeing to allowing a non cap affecting player buy out to help clear space? At the end of the day, all the players are concerned about is their members getting paid and getting as much money as they can. How that happens, I don't think anyone cares. So if a team were to be able to buy out a contract of a player, just pay out his years but it doesn't count against the cap, the player gets his money and he is free to sign another deal. You could stipulate that it only applies to guys who do not have any kind of no trade or no move clause. They had that put in because they want to stay so you have to honor it. So take Neal. Oilers got him to get rid of Lucic. Great trade in my books. He had 3 yrs at 5.75 mill. He's a decent player still, is he worth that anymore? Hard to say but probably not. So if you could buy him out at what's left. He gets all his money and could sign for another deal. If he signed another deal at even half that. He's probably a value deal AND he makes more money. IN turn the Oilers have cleared up money so they can sign someone else.

I am bored and I just finished listening to Stauffer talk to agent Gerry Johanson about the impact this will have on the cap and future signings. It's going to hurt guys and limit where they can go vs if nothing happened and the cap went up like it was supposed too, guys would have more options.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 March 2020 13:34]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758001 is a reply to message #757998 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 11:46

I am sure the regulars will piss all over this idea like usual but these are unforeseen circumstances that will have a massive impact that even the best GM couldn't have planned for.

Well at least now you're trolling on post one rather than waiting for replies. Good work! computer

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758002 is a reply to message #758001 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

I don't see what RDOF posted is trolling; more like speculation.

The sports world (the whole world) is upside down. Just heard the Kentucky Derby will run in the fall. I'm not a huge horse racing fan, but the Derby in early May was a sign that spring is finally here. Formula 1 is all jumbled up. Could go on and on and on.

Anyways, NHL and Oiler hockey is # 1 in my mind and my release from the issues of the world. Where it will fit in in the new era is anyone's guess. When the NHL is ready to resume, so will everything else in the world. The sports networks that have zilch for programming now will have everything to cover at once. Who knows in the big picture where NHL hockey will fit in?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a troll. Never have, never will.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758004 is a reply to message #758002 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 12:20

I don't see what RDOF posted is trolling; more like speculation.

Fully agreed until adding the unnecessary two bits at the end I deliberately quoted. This was a very thoughtful account of the state of the affairs, then derailed by calling out everyone before they even responded! This an exhausting and completely unnecessary posting pattern.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758007 is a reply to message #758001 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 12:57

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 11:46

I am sure the regulars will piss all over this idea like usual but these are unforeseen circumstances that will have a massive impact that even the best GM couldn't have planned for.

Well at least now you're trolling on post one rather than waiting for replies. Good work! computer

I am not trying to troll at all. I am bored. I miss sports and talking about the Oilers. I am sick of talking/hearing about Covid and how crappy things are. This sucks. I listened to Stauffer, he talked to an agent and brought up what this will due to the cap and UFA's. It got me thinking. Is my idea a bit out there, sure it is. Will it probably happen? I doubt it.

It was something else to talk about other how many people are dead today and who's next.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 March 2020 13:36]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758013 is a reply to message #758007 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I definitely could see a buyout allowance that wouldn’t count against the cap. Thankfully we are probably getting out of compensating the Flames. Guessing Neal would be gone. Will the NMC clause be lifted on Lucic?

Both of those contracts getting off the books would help each of the two clubs.

Interesting times. This doesn’t even feel real. Like many here, or at least I’m guessing, my work life was heavily adjusted today. I’m hoping for some great speculation conversation to help pass these next few days, weeks, months. I love my wife and kids, but you people here will save my marriage.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758015 is a reply to message #758013 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 15:28

I definitely could see a buyout allowance that wouldn’t count against the cap. Thankfully we are probably getting out of compensating the Flames. Guessing Neal would be gone. Will the NMC clause be lifted on Lucic?

Interesting times. This doesn’t even feel real. Like many here, or at least I’m guessing, my work life was heavily adjusted today. I’m hoping for some great speculation conversation to help pass these next few days, weeks, months. I love my wife and kids, but you people here will save my marriage.

With the stoppage, it has to hurt league revenues which has to at best keep it so the cap is flat. A flat cap won't help guys like Hall as an example because without some way to shed cap space, that takes a lot of teams out of his services. So he either takes a dirt cheap contract for a team with a chance to do something or takes the money from a bottom feeder.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758017 is a reply to message #758015 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

There goes Hall's payday! He thought his ship had come in, but it was just a quarantined cruise ship!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758019 is a reply to message #758017 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If nothing is done and the cap stays flat, I do wonder if a guy like Hall would sign a very short term deal for less money with the idea that if he waits, hopefully the cap goes up and he can get his payday.

Thinking as an Oilers fan. The cap doesn't go up at all. He has expressed an interest in playing in a hockey market again. He never wanted to leave the Oilers. Stauffer mentioned his name countless times and he usually is a mouth piece for upcoming moves. Would he take a short deal for similar money to what he makes now in the hopes he has a good season getting to play with one of the 2 best centers in the world. On top of hoping the cap goes up so he can get paid more. Big risk for him because of his injury history. But with all this going down, the money might not be there unless he goes to a less desirable team.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758020 is a reply to message #758019 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Just sucks that Hall is all offence. Too bad he isn't decent defensively.

Oil could more use say an air tight checking 30 goal prime Jere Lehtinen than a potential 50 goal Hall.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758023 is a reply to message #758013 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Many of the teams are not fans of compliance buyouts. It's an out available to rich teams which allows them to better compete. If you're Columbus or Florida or Arizona, you might have deals you would love to flush too but you're financially constrained from doing so because writing a $15MM cheque to someone to go play somewhere else is just not financially possible.

I am curious if people would prefer to A) get rid of Neal's deal or B) have Calgary stuck with Lucic's deal...I think I'd lean to the latter.

Amen on the speculation piece. This place has not been the escape it usually is lately. I'm not sure I need to come here to see an argument about the pros and cons of eating meat here. This stuff is much more enjoyable.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping that if there's a return, whether in empty buildings or not, that the NHL has a short end to the regular season to help decide seeding. I'd love to see Connor McDavid reach 100 points again this year. It would be terrible if the only reason he doesn't is because of this pandemic (and the Knee-ordano shot at him in January).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758028 is a reply to message #758023 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It would be interesting to see if a compliance buyout happened, would any bigger name guys get bought out. Guys who might surprise people. Like if the Oilers bought out a Neal, would anyone be surprised? I doubt it.

Like as an example and it wouldn't happen because he has too much term and money but a guy like Jamie Benn. He's signed for 9.5 mill per yr for the next 5 yrs. He turns 31 in July. He had 53 pts in 78 games last year and had 39 pts in 69 games this year. So trending down and it's not like his best years are ahead of him.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 March 2020 16:36]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758032 is a reply to message #758023 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 16:13

Many of the teams are not fans of compliance buyouts. It's an out available to rich teams which allows them to better compete. If you're Columbus or Florida or Arizona, you might have deals you would love to flush too but you're financially constrained from doing so because writing a $15MM cheque to someone to go play somewhere else is just not financially possible.

I am curious if people would prefer to A) get rid of Neal's deal or B) have Calgary stuck with Lucic's deal...I think I'd lean to the latter.

Amen on the speculation piece. This place has not been the escape it usually is lately. I'm not sure I need to come here to see an argument about the pros and cons of eating meat here. This stuff is much more enjoyable.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping that if there's a return, whether in empty buildings or not, that the NHL has a short end to the regular season to help decide seeding. I'd love to see Connor McDavid reach 100 points again this year. It would be terrible if the only reason he doesn't is because of this pandemic (and the Knee-ordano shot at him in January).

I also prefer a thick, juicy well-marbled NHL rumor.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758034 is a reply to message #758032 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 18:18

Careful tough guy. That rumor might go viral.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758036 is a reply to message #758034 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 18:51

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 18:18

Careful tough guy. That rumor might go viral.

Oh have some fun, guy.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758035 is a reply to message #757998 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I don’t love the buyout allowance purely out of spite for the teams that will likely come out more on top than the Oilers if they simply buyout Neal. But you’re right, with the cap likely going down, and probably significantly down, the league will have to do something to keep the players and teams happy. Maybe let teams go over the cap temporarily or something. I dunno I’m not creative enough.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758040 is a reply to message #758035 ]
Fri, 20 March 2020 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 18:54

I don’t love the buyout allowance purely out of spite for the teams that will likely come out more on top than the Oilers if they simply buyout Neal. But you’re right, with the cap likely going down, and probably significantly down, the league will have to do something to keep the players and teams happy. Maybe let teams go over the cap temporarily or something. I dunno I’m not creative enough.

I don't love buy outs either but in my opinion the league will have to do something even to just keep the cap the flat. You can't claw it back it will screw over a lot of teams. Revenue wasn't very good last season and it resulted in the cap barely going up. I can't see how it won't be worse this year when you potentially are losing 10+ games and a very real chance that the playoffs at minimum won't be the same. It would be a complete disaster for the league if they don't have playoffs at all. So I believe they will do everything in their power to have some kind of playoff. If some kind of playoffs do happen, it could also impact next season and the amount of games they can physically play. The players first suggestion of starting the next season in November which doesn't seem that far off as reasonably has to mean they play less games next season. You can't make up an entire month of missed season on top of having a compressed offseason. Something has to give. For one thing, it can't be safe physically on the players to do that much hockey without much of a break to recover if you plan on jamming an 82 game season into 1 less month time frame.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758489 is a reply to message #758040 ]
Mon, 30 March 2020 19:00 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Oilers (and Flames) reduce employee salaries, lay off staff

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers-calgary -flames-layoffs-coronavirus-1.5515520

"OEG, meanwhile, says it has created employee assistance funding to help its staff. Combined with government programs, OEG says staff will receive anywhere from 75 to 90 per cent of salaries.

The Oilers' senior hockey and business executives decided last week they would forgo 50 to 100 per cent of their compensation during the crisis."

Hope they are all on the job or back to full salaries very soon.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #758031 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

OilersNation started streaming NHL20 games on nights the Oilers were scheduled to play, against the teams they were scheduled against. It’s been kinda cool.

Looks like a few NHL team social media accounts are doing the same thing now; Devils are streaming their NHL20 game v Calgary right now and Carolina’s social account is streaming their NHL20 game v St Louis.

Brings me back to the latest Survivor thread and how there may just be something there for Oilfans to do with NHL20.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67)
Next Topic:Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca