Place of Birth Montréal, QC, CAN
Nation Canada
Youth Team AHM Chambly
Position C/RW
Height 6'4" / 193 cm
Weight 198 lbs / 90 kg
Shoots R

2014-15 Coll. Antoine-Girouard Btnm AAA QBAAA - - - - - |
2015-16 Collège Antoine-Girouard Gaulois QMAAA 42 12 14 26 16 -3 | Playoffs 8 2 3 5 19 -1
2016-17 Collège Antoine-Girouard Gaulois QMAAA 15 7 11 18 28 4 |
Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 32 6 3 9 26 0 | Playoffs 6 1 1 2 6 -2
Canada White U17 WHC-17 6 1 2 3 2 |
2017-18 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 68 30 33 63 43 10 | Playoffs 9 3 2 5 5 -2
Canada U18 WJC-18 5 5 0 5 2 6 |
2018-19 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 62 32 41 73 31 36 | Playoffs 23 20 12 32 22 -3

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739252 is a reply to message #739251 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Real good pick here as he could have easily been off the board 10-20 picks prior.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739256 is a reply to message #739252 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Knock on him is being inconsistent, but he’s supposedly hard on the puck in all 3 zones, possesses great snap, slap and wrist shot, breakaway speed and a net front presence.

Kind of a steal if he reaches his potential. Seems similar to McCleod last year.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739266 is a reply to message #739252 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Looks like a decent pick that could turn out to be a steal , apparently he was ranked around 11 to 14 not that long ago and has good speed and hands for a big player. Good one Keith ( I mean Ken )

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739267 is a reply to message #739251 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

To me he was noticeable in Memorial Cup as to how much he pissed off opponents. 3 points in 4 games.

With the limited knowledge I have, I’m fine with this selection.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739277 is a reply to message #739251 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I saw him interviewed .. has his head on straight ... mature, knows what he needs to do to get better, explosive quickness, strength, .. too many times a tall player is used to doing well vs. younger/smaller players in the CHL and it goes to their heads, not him..

I remember seeing him in U-18's, lots of skill, speed, and can cycle the puck.
He's a string bean, once he gets physically mature he'll be a handful.
2 years from now we'll have a player, wing or center..

Skookum approved :)

[Updated on: Sat, 22 June 2019 22:42]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739280 is a reply to message #739251 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Apparently his perceived "attitude issue" is that he is an introvert, and people misunderstand that.
https://twitter.com/WillyPalov/status/1142494433633558534

So that actually isn't an issue at all, or it shouldn't be, although it does seem that sometimes in the Oilers locker room if you are introverted or awkward, you have a limited stay and room for error.

Anyways, hard not to like this pick. A guy who fell and should have probably gone higher, a skilled forward with a lot of upside. These are good picks to make.

(The problem was never with Broberg as a player, but that they passed a on similar opportunity yesterday with Zegras. This sort of helps make up for that, though given the scouting reports, none of us should be surprised is Zegras ends up a fair bit better than both Broberg and Lavoie. But I'm glad they didn't reach again, and instead made a value pick here).

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739323 is a reply to message #739280 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 22 June 2019 16:04

Apparently his perceived "attitude issue" is that he is an introvert, and people misunderstand that.
https://twitter.com/WillyPalov/status/1142494433633558534

So that actually isn't an issue at all, or it shouldn't be, although it does seem that sometimes in the Oilers locker room if you are introverted or awkward, you have a limited stay and room for error.

Anyways, hard not to like this pick. A guy who fell and should have probably gone higher, a skilled forward with a lot of upside. These are good picks to make.

(The problem was never with Broberg as a player, but that they passed a on similar opportunity yesterday with Zegras. This sort of helps make up for that, though given the scouting reports, none of us should be surprised is Zegras ends up a fair bit better than both Broberg and Lavoie. But I'm glad they didn't reach again, and instead made a value pick here).

So Spector and Rishaug are bound to hate him and talk extensively about whether his practice habits are good enough, eh?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739295 is a reply to message #739251 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

32 points in 23 playoff games this spring. 20 of them goals.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739302 is a reply to message #739295 ]
Sun, 23 June 2019 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

this guy will break a lot of our hearts

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739312 is a reply to message #739302 ]
Sun, 23 June 2019 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

vagabond wrote on Sun, 23 June 2019 06:30

this guy will break a lot of our hearts

I had the same feeling when we drafted him .. he's growing on me, I think he'll be a good 2nd liner... 2 years away minimum, and expect Holland will make sure of that.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739326 is a reply to message #739312 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was pumped by this pick. A big, right shooting, good skating player who has a good shot and quick release. All day long for me. I don't take a ton of stock in those lists that all the draft people out but he was listed in the mid first round by I think just about everyone. My hope is that he is going to be like Benson. A guy that fell for whatever reason and it works out that the Oilers basically got 2 first round picks. Benson in his first year of pro was one of the highest scoring AHL rookies ever I believe (I thought I heard that but someone correct me if I am wrong) but the point is that after 1 year of pro, he looks like a legit player in the near future.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739329 is a reply to message #739326 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 08:48

I was pumped by this pick. A big, right shooting, good skating player who has a good shot and quick release. All day long for me. I don't take a ton of stock in those lists that all the draft people out but he was listed in the mid first round by I think just about everyone. My hope is that he is going to be like Benson. A guy that fell for whatever reason and it works out that the Oilers basically got 2 first round picks. Benson in his first year of pro was one of the highest scoring AHL rookies ever I believe (I thought I heard that but someone correct me if I am wrong) but the point is that after 1 year of pro, he looks like a legit player in the near future.

I don't think that's the case. Benson had 63 points last year and wasn't even the highest scoring rookie last year.

I hope Lavoie is a lot better than Benson - who I think is at best a bottom-six forward in the NHL.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #739331 is a reply to message #739329 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 09:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 08:48

I don't think that's the case. Benson had 63 points last year and wasn't even the highest scoring rookie last year.

I hope Lavoie is a lot better than Benson - who I think is at best a bottom-six forward in the NHL.

I think Benson tops out as having a chance at a second liner but most likely a good 3rd liner. I have no problems if you get a good top 9 player out of a second rounder. If Lavoie can be that, maybe even better, that's great in my books.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #750777 is a reply to message #739251 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Lavoie must have impressed a bit in the WJHC. Just traded to the #2 team in the QMJHL, Chicoutimi Saguenéens for 4 picks.

GOod opportunity for him. Was on the 5th worst team.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #750778 is a reply to message #750777 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 09:44

Lavoie must have impressed a bit in the WJHC. Just traded to the #2 team in the QMJHL, Chicoutimi Saguenéens for 4 picks.

I didn't really notice him, and I was looking for him. Didn't see anything awful but it didn't seem like he was in on much of the offence.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #750781 is a reply to message #750778 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 10:10

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 06 January 2020 09:44

I didn't really notice him, and I was looking for him. Didn't see anything awful but it didn't seem like he was in on much of the offence.

His line barely played, but I did notice him quite a bit when he was out there. He has good skills. Not much turning into goals though. First guy offering a hug to celebrate a couple big goals last night :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #750799 is a reply to message #750781 ]
Mon, 06 January 2020 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Beautiful long stretch pass in the gold medal game to send his linemate (not sure who) in on a breakaway that was saved by the Russian goalie.
I thought he played well in the few games I saw - not on an offensive line but he created some nice chances. He seemed to be playing as if instructed to fill a particular 2-way role on his line (just my impression).

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758103 is a reply to message #750799 ]
Sat, 21 March 2020 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

And Lavoie signs his entry level contract with the Oilers.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-sign-raphael-lavoie-to-en try-level-contract-1.1459526

"Raphael Lavoie signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday.

The 19-year-old Lavoie is in his fourth season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

He has 38 goals and 44 assists in 55 regular-season games with Chicoutimi and Halifax, with 48 penalty minutes and a plus-7 rating."

Just let him over ripen Oilers.We don't need another drama with a prospect.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758104 is a reply to message #758103 ]
Sat, 21 March 2020 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 21 March 2020 14:54

And Lavoie signs his entry level contract with the Oilers.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-sign-raphael-lavoie-to-en try-level-contract-1.1459526

"Raphael Lavoie signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday.

The 19-year-old Lavoie is in his fourth season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

He has 38 goals and 44 assists in 55 regular-season games with Chicoutimi and Halifax, with 48 penalty minutes and a plus-7 rating."

Just let him over ripen Oilers.We don't need another drama with a prospect.

The kid needs to do what Bear & Yamo did and focus on his skating, he's got most of the other tools, if he doesn't get NHL speed he'll struggle, as they all do, he's 2 years away minimum...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758125 is a reply to message #758104 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

No brainer signing. He turns 20 in September and has played 4 seasons in junior. I think he could go to the AHL and if he can, do it. He's been a very good player in junior his whole time. Has a world juniors goal. Not a lot to play for. Get him to Bakersfield so he can practice with pros, get pro coaching and play against pros so he can start learning who to play pro game, learn about the speed of the game. He can work on his skating.

Look at Bouchard. Started off a bit tentative and slow but has taken off in the second half and is one for sure one of the best dmen on Bakersfield and moving his way up to be one of the better ones in the AHL.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758137 is a reply to message #758104 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Lavoie is a bigger project than Yamo, without a doubt. Similar to Bear in that he has a lot of the essentials, just not the speed or edges.

Lavoie could be like a Sean Monahan, which would be awesome for this team. Three years away though, as where he is skating-wise is not even close to being good enough. He looked glacial in the WJCs in comparison to other players on his team.

Hopefully he can get his legs going though, because everything else is what you want in an NHL prospect.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758169 is a reply to message #758137 ]
Mon, 23 March 2020 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Mon, 23 March 2020 10:21

Lavoie is a bigger project than Yamo, without a doubt. Similar to Bear in that he has a lot of the essentials, just not the speed or edges.

Lavoie could be like a Sean Monahan, which would be awesome for this team. Three years away though, as where he is skating-wise is not even close to being good enough. He looked glacial in the WJCs in comparison to other players on his team.

Hopefully he can get his legs going though, because everything else is what you want in an NHL prospect.

Agree, his speed is the key.. make or break his career.. not much nee for Alex Chaisson wheels in today's NHL.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758179 is a reply to message #758169 ]
Tue, 24 March 2020 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/13/raphael-lavoie-scout ing-report/

From the scouting reports I could find, I didn't see anything that said he was a bad skater. Not every player needs to be challenging for fastest skater, they just need to be quick enough to get to spots. With his size and good shot, he could easily be fine. If he was small and not a burner, then I would worry.

With him being a second round pick, he's probably a couple of years away which is fine.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #758282 is a reply to message #758179 ]
Wed, 25 March 2020 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 24 March 2020 08:41

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/13/raphael-lavoie-scout ing-report/

From the scouting reports I could find, I didn't see anything that said he was a bad skater. Not every player needs to be challenging for fastest skater, they just need to be quick enough to get to spots. With his size and good shot, he could easily be fine. If he was small and not a burner, then I would worry.

With him being a second round pick, he's probably a couple of years away which is fine.

Looked to me like he was flying in the Memorial Cup. No bias either, because he was not yet an Oiler, but the way he was moving in that Tourney is what stood out to me.

And the way he got under opponents skin.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #765738 is a reply to message #758104 ]
Fri, 21 August 2020 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Reportedly headed to Sweden.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2020/08/20/raphael-lavoie-to-play -in-sweden/

"Another Edmonton Oilers prospect is heading overseas. According to reports, 2019 second-round pick Raphael Lavoie is heading to Sweden. Lavoie has been loaned by the Oilers to Rogle BK. There is no word on if Lavoie will spend the entire season in Sweden, or if he will return for the 2020-21 North American season."

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #766922 is a reply to message #765738 ]
Sun, 20 September 2020 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

And Lavoie is cut just as the season is about to open in Sweden.

https://thehockeywriters.com/hockey-prospects-raymond-brober g-lavoie-kuokkanen/

"Lavoie and Rögle had until puck drop to finalize a decision so today was the very last day possible to terminate the contract. It’s not clear which side initiated the discussions for Lavoie to leave the team, but he will now likely be aiming to play in the American Hockey League this season once play resumes.

Originally drafted 38th overall in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, Lavoie amassed 38 goals and 82 points in 55 games played during the 2019-20 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League season. He split time between the Halifax Mooseheads and Chicoutimi Saguenéens, playing 30 and 25 games for them respectively. "

Hope Lavoie gets an opportunity to play in the 20-21 season. Can't be good for his development to not play competitive hockey.

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #767014 is a reply to message #766922 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 20 September 2020 20:21

And Lavoie is cut just as the season is about to open in Sweden.

https://thehockeywriters.com/hockey-prospects-raymond-brober g-lavoie-kuokkanen/

"Lavoie and Rögle had until puck drop to finalize a decision so today was the very last day possible to terminate the contract. It’s not clear which side initiated the discussions for Lavoie to leave the team, but he will now likely be aiming to play in the American Hockey League this season once play resumes.

Originally drafted 38th overall in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, Lavoie amassed 38 goals and 82 points in 55 games played during the 2019-20 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League season. He split time between the Halifax Mooseheads and Chicoutimi Saguenéens, playing 30 and 25 games for them respectively. "

Hope Lavoie gets an opportunity to play in the 20-21 season. Can't be good for his development to not play competitive hockey.

He's back. Found a team in the second tier Swede pro league, Vasby
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-loan-lavoie-t o-vasby-ik/c-319148624

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers select 2nd rd (#38) - Raphael Lavoie [message #767015 is a reply to message #767014 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 14:27 Go to previous message

3 Cups

I thought it was a stretch that he would make a Swedish hockey league team right out of junior. I am glad he found a team to play.

Previous Topic:Oilers sign Russell to an extension
Next Topic:Tyler Benson (and Willy Lagesson) Recalled
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca