F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » NHL Season SuspendedPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 NHL Season Suspended [message #757745]
Thu, 12 March 2020 11:48 Go to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

The NHL has suspended its season immediately due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The league made the announcement Thursday afternoon.

The NHL advised all its clubs earlier in the day not to conduct morning skates, practices or team meetings amid efforts to contain the spread of novel coronavirus.

The move to suspend the NHL schedule came after the NBA announced the same measure last night following the revelation a Utah Jazz player tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-temporarily-suspends-season-1.1456643

Send a private message to this user  

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757748 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

We were so close to a heated Edmonton v Calgary playoff series too.

When it comes to stuff like this, school closures, whatever, how does one make the decision to turn the lights back on? Once a vaccine is rolled out in 12-18 months? Because I can't see it getting any better until then, right? It's only going to slowly and gradually get worse over the next few months?

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757749 is a reply to message #757748 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 10:50

When it comes to stuff like this, school closures, whatever, how does one make the decision to turn the lights back on? Once a vaccine is rolled out in 12-18 months? Because I can't see it getting any better until then, right? It's only going to slowly and gradually get worse over the next few months?

It could get worse but it could get better very soon. I don't believe there's a whole ton of solid predictions from the experts on the subject matter.

For positivity, I interpret that it seems that areas hit the hardest which prompted (or proactively) testing with the widest net like China, South Korea and Italy aren't reporting new cases as quickly as before. (Edit - I lied, Italy just jumped over 2,600 cases on the last update)

But there's no way I'm trying to play armchair epidemiologist here either. Just a couple cents from loads of reading the past weeks.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2020 11:59]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757750 is a reply to message #757749 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 11:55

It could get worse but it could get better very soon. I don't believe there's a whole ton of solid predictions from the experts on the subject matter.

For positivity, I interpret that it seems that areas hit the hardest which prompted (or proactively) testing with the widest net like China, South Korea and Italy aren't reporting new cases as quickly as before.

But there's no way I'm trying to play armchair epidemiologist here either. Just a couple cents from loads of reading the past weeks.

Hopefully the reports of a few of the hardest hit slowing a bit are true. Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world so that may be why they are hit so badly.
Wash your hands, if you are sick stay inside.

I do wonder if the NHL comes back which I think they will do everything they can too because they need too, especially the playoffs for revenues. Does it make sense to cut back a few games? Round off the season to 75 games or something like that. It sucks for the teams having played a game or 2 extra especially if you are a team that mathematically is in the hunt, you just have to go on a unlikely insane winning streak. BUt that's life. If you cut back 5-6 games, that trims basically 2 weeks off your season. So maybe the playoffs would start almost at the same time.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2020 12:04]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757752 is a reply to message #757750 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 12:00

MJ wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 11:55

For positivity, I interpret that it seems that areas hit the hardest which prompted (or proactively) testing with the widest net like China, South Korea and Italy aren't reporting new cases as quickly as before.

Hopefully the reports of a few of the hardest hit slowing a bit are true. Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world so that may be why they are hit so badly.
Wash your hands, if you are sick stay inside.

I do wonder if the NHL comes back which I think they will do everything they can too because they need too, especially the playoffs for revenues. Does it make sense to cut back a few games? Round off the season to 75 games or something like that. It sucks for the teams having played a game or 2 extra especially if you are a team that mathematically is in the hunt, you just have to go on a unlikely insane winning streak. BUt that's life. If you cut back 5-6 games, that trims basically 2 weeks off your season. So maybe the playoffs would start almost at the same time.

Funny how the spread of the virus in its country of origin (China) was already slowing down before the WHO lost its head in calling it a "pandemic" despite it currently affecting less than a tenth of a percent of the planet's population.

Best case scenario: the NHL just decides to shorten the season by canceling the remaining regular season games and going straight to the playoffs, which means that the Oilers would be hosting the Flames in a playoff Battle of Alberta for the first time in over 30 years.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757759 is a reply to message #757749 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 10:55

For positivity, I interpret that it seems that areas hit the hardest which prompted (or proactively) testing with the widest net like China, South Korea and Italy aren't reporting new cases as quickly as before. (Edit - I lied, Italy just jumped over 2,600 cases on the last update)

Meh, all fake news. Not a lot positive a couple hours later.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Italy up 2,600. Iran up 1,000. China only up 18 if you trust their numbers. South Korea only up 114 where I believe they have the most extensive testing across the globe, so maybe that's good.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757765 is a reply to message #757759 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 12:56

Italy up 2,600. Iran up 1,000. China only up 18 if you trust their numbers. South Korea only up 114 where I believe they have the most extensive testing across the globe, so maybe that's good.

I think at the moment there is a lot of news hype and resulting hysteria that will eventually calm down once they realize the effect on a populations average mortality is less than the annual flu pandemic we face every year. "Test kits" won't stop it, all they do is enable a doctor to diagnose what virus someone has after they are infected. People in good health that have it won't necessarily test positive, so you can't use it to screen people. Travel bans will have an effect just due to the statistical logic.

The WHO is useless, its a health organization that is run like the UN, politicized and corrupt.
Too late to the game, and too corrupt to take appropriate action early on a powerful country like China when it needed to.

Its interesting how all the worlds annual viral pandemics originate from China, every year without fail. If the WHO was serious about "world health" they'd focus their attention on China to determine how and why its happening there, and only there, and then recommend appropriate action.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757767 is a reply to message #757765 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 15:20

I think at the moment there is a lot of news hype and resulting hysteria that will eventually calm down once they realize the effect on a populations average mortality is less than the annual flu pandemic we face every year. "Test kits" won't stop it, all they do is enable a doctor to diagnose what virus someone has after they are infected. People in good health that have it won't necessarily test positive, so you can't use it to screen people. Travel bans will have an effect just due to the statistical logic.

The WHO is useless, its a health organization that is run like the UN, politicized and corrupt.
Too late to the game, and too corrupt to take appropriate action early on a powerful country like China when it needed to.

Its interesting how all the worlds annual viral pandemics originate from China, every year without fail. If the WHO was serious about "world health" they'd focus their attention on China to determine how and why its happening there, and only there, and then recommend appropriate action.

Well for one, China is the most heavily populated country in the world followed closely by India. So people literally live on top of each other jammed in tight quarters Multiple generations of families in small rooms. China is a very poor country for the majority of people so conditions would be poor and easy breeding grounds for things. Plus their culture and what they eat causes would contribute to it.

Supposedly this started in some live animal/fish market. I can only image what a place like that would be like. Awful, awful, dirty conditions. Jammed with people, animals and fish. Not to many places around the world have that. PLUS their government is communist so who knows what happens there.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2020 15:33]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757769 is a reply to message #757767 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 14:30

Well for one, China is the most heavily populated country in the world followed closely by India. So people literally live on top of each other jammed in tight quarters Multiple generations of families in small rooms. China is a very poor country for the majority of people so conditions would be poor and easy breeding grounds for things. Plus their culture and what they eat causes it. Supposedly this started in some live animal/fish market. I can only image what a place like that would be like. Awful, awful, dirty conditions. Jammed with people, animals and fish. Not to many places around the world have that. PLUS their government is communist so who knows what happens there.

I'm not sure population density and wealth is a big factor, India is not much different than China, and Africa is much, much poorer. I've seen documentaries where they attribute it to cross-over transmission from live stock, specifically pigs, but I think there is a missing ingredient there somewhere. Or maybe that's it, the pigs, you won't see many hogs in India.

Anyway, I think they might suspend the regular season, but they'll have to make the playoffs happen, even if its to closed arenas.
Interesting to see how they'd equalize the regular season standings based on games played.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2020 16:44]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757773 is a reply to message #757769 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 15:37

Well for one, China is the most heavily populated country in the world followed closely by India. So people literally live on top of each other jammed in tight quarters Multiple generations of families in small rooms. China is a very poor country for the majority of people so conditions would be poor and easy breeding grounds for things. Plus their culture and what they eat causes it. Supposedly this started in some live animal/fish market. I can only image what a place like that would be like. Awful, awful, dirty conditions. Jammed with people, animals and fish. Not to many places around the world have that. PLUS their government is communist so who knows what happens there.

I'm not sure population density and wealth is a big factor, India is not much different than China, and Africa is much, much poorer. I've seen documentaries where they attribute it to cross-over transmission from live stock, specifically pigs, but I think there is a missing ingredient there somewhere. Or maybe that's it, the pigs, you won't won't many hogs in India.

Anyway, I think they might suspend the regular season, but they'll have to make the playoffs happen, even if its to closed arenas.
Interesting to see how they'd equalize the regular season standings based on games played.

I didn't mean population causes it but it helps it spread quickly because there are so many people jammed into one area. I do think it's how they live. They seem to happen in these animal markets. So it has to be something with how they handle things.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2020 15:57]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757795 is a reply to message #757769 ]
Fri, 13 March 2020 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

I'm not sure population density and wealth is a big factor, India is not much different than China, and Africa is much, much poorer. I've seen documentaries where they attribute it to cross-over transmission from live stock, specifically pigs, but I think there is a missing ingredient there somewhere. Or maybe that's it, the pigs, you won't see many hogs in India.

How is population density not a transmissive factor?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757806 is a reply to message #757795 ]
Fri, 13 March 2020 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 13 March 2020 06:52

How is population density not a transmissive factor?

It obviously is for transmission, the question was why do all the new strains of flu/virus originate in China and not elsewhere.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757768 is a reply to message #757765 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 14:20

I really really really like common sense and this post is so on point it's just perfect.

Are we seriously still going to put China's feelings before the worlds well being after all this? I'm sorry but they need to be held accountable for everybody losing so much. Whether it be loss of life or money that you are angry about, it's normal and ok to feel that way. China needs to answer for this. It's not about revenge. The only way to judge someone is over their actions. China's actions need to change the way we view them. I'm sorry you have to exist in a reality that is not always happy and full of good feelings only.

The way our prime minister bends to pointless global bodies like WHO an UN and WTO should be put into question as well. It has to. The evidence is walking around outside wearing a surgical mask. Pick an issue; Women's rights, workers rights, animal rights, environmentalism, gay and minority rights, voting rights, Hong Kong and Tibet freedom, concentration camps ect. China is holding us back from ascending or further progressing and evolving as humans.

Friendly reminder China is a country not a race.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757778 is a reply to message #757749 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

This Joe Rogan episode had this fellow on the other day, Dr. Michael Osterholm (see link below). He’s one of the leaders at the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. They are advising that this is only the very beginning of a long battle lasting up to 6 months because of the nature of this thing. It’s communicable up to a week before a person is symptomatic, meaning you are spreading it long before feeling it. Most people would stay home when they feel sick to prevent spreading illness, but if you don’t know you are carrying something it’s difficult to just isolate yourself as a precaution. It’s going to be a while folks. Share the toilet paper please, it’s a respiratory virus not a GI thing.

The entire episode of the podcast is great IMO. He’s not some kook either. This guy advises governments and policy in the United States and abroad and has been instrumental in these areas before: SARS, MERS, Ebola most recently.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/watch-joe-rogan-dr-coronav irus

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2020 16:25]

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757780 is a reply to message #757778 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 15:23

This Joe Rogan episode had this fellow on the other day, Dr. Michael Osterholm (see link below). He’s one of the leaders at the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. They are advising that this is only the very beginning of a long battle lasting up to 6 months because of the nature of this thing. It’s communicable up to a week before a person is symptomatic, meaning you are spreading it long before feeling it. Most people would stay home when they feel sick to prevent spreading illness, but if you don’t know you are carrying something it’s difficult to just isolate yourself as a precaution. It’s going to be a while folks. Share the toilet paper please, it’s a respiratory virus not a GI thing.

The entire episode of the podcast is great IMO. He’s not some kook either. This guy advises governments and policy in the United States and abroad and has been instrumental in these areas before: SARS, MERS, Ebola most recently.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/watch-joe-rogan-dr-coronav irus

LOL, ya no kidding, heard about all this TP shortages blather in the news, thought it was just in the US, went to the local Save-On yesterday .. shelves were CLEANED out!! Maybe a few rolls of extra absorbent paper towels, but that was it! All other items were stocked full. Mass psychology. Bizarre.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757766 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

It's a sad day, the Oilers were having their best season in YEARS and we were just a few weeks away from playoff hockey again.

I was saving up money to drive up and catch a couple of games. I guess it will all still happen but a few weeks later. I just hope this break doesn't affect how the Oilers play.

Selfish post, I know.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757771 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/es67jo4uyaa8j6t.jpg

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757826 is a reply to message #757771 ]
Fri, 13 March 2020 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

So if they play in front of an empty arena, instead of the usual crowd noise during the second period you'll have.....the usual crowd noise during the second period!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757782 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rattimus  is currently offline Rattimus

No Cups

For what it's worth, it sounds like the preferred plan for the NHL is:

- the season ended yesterday with the WPG vs EDM game.

- the standings will be based on points percentage to date to determine who makes the playoffs, since some teams have played as few as 68 games, some as many as 71. This is horrible news for WPG as they are 0.001 (.563 vs .564) behind the Flamers, and WPG loses their playoff spot if this all goes down this way. The 'Nucks jump into a 1st round matchup with us, the Flames drop into the 2nd WC spot and play STL. Colorado still plays Dallas, and Vegas would end up playing Nashville. I didn't look at the eastern conference, was mostly just curious who we'd end up playing.

- playoffs would start if possible on time in April. This seems unlikely considering current events. They could delay the start a couple weeks and still play 4 round of 7-game series, but beyond this they have to seriously consider the consequences of pushing the SCF into mid or late July, that messes with the draft, free agency, next season's training camps, etc, so for my money I'd be shocked if they pushed it much past July 15th, if that.

- if the playoffs don't start on time, they could consider many alternate formats: 3-game series, 5-game series, that sort of thing. Could be even like baseball with shorter series in the early rounds and a 7-game for the Cup. Could also consider what some Euro leagues are doing now and having a round-robin where the playoff teams all play each other twice, and then the best records match up for the Cup.... which seems brutal and crappy compared to the real SCP, but hey, better than nothing for us playoff-deprived Oilers fans, right?

This is all based on an Athletic article about this today, I'm certainly not claiming this is how it will be, but it seems like a logical approach.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757784 is a reply to message #757782 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rattimus wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 15:52

For what it's worth, it sounds like the preferred plan for the NHL is:

- the season ended yesterday with the WPG vs EDM game.

- the standings will be based on points percentage to date to determine who makes the playoffs, since some teams have played as few as 68 games, some as many as 71. This is horrible news for WPG as they are 0.001 (.563 vs .564) behind the Flamers, and WPG loses their playoff spot if this all goes down this way. The 'Nucks jump into a 1st round matchup with us, the Flames drop into the 2nd WC spot and play STL. Colorado still plays Dallas, and Vegas would end up playing Nashville. I didn't look at the eastern conference, was mostly just curious who we'd end up playing.

- playoffs would start if possible on time in April. This seems unlikely considering current events. They could delay the start a couple weeks and still play 4 round of 7-game series, but beyond this they have to seriously consider the consequences of pushing the SCF into mid or late July, that messes with the draft, free agency, next season's training camps, etc, so for my money I'd be shocked if they pushed it much past July 15th, if that.

- if the playoffs don't start on time, they could consider many alternate formats: 3-game series, 5-game series, that sort of thing. Could be even like baseball with shorter series in the early rounds and a 7-game for the Cup. Could also consider what some Euro leagues are doing now and having a round-robin where the playoff teams all play each other twice, and then the best records match up for the Cup.... which seems brutal and crappy compared to the real SCP, but hey, better than nothing for us playoff-deprived Oilers fans, right?

This is all based on an Athletic article about this today, I'm certainly not claiming this is how it will be, but it seems like a logical approach.

The percentage ranking is probably the best way, otherwise you can't equalize a shortened schedule to any logical outcome. sucks for the Oilers because they've had all their road games already,luckily they are up top.

NHL can't mess with the 7 game format otherwise it becomes even more of an *asterisk* type Stanley Cup. If required, I'd say just televise empty games, refund the ticket holders.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757790 is a reply to message #757784 ]
Thu, 12 March 2020 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

On the bright side at least the flamers can go suck a lemon for that 3rd round pick now...

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757792 is a reply to message #757790 ]
Fri, 13 March 2020 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 12 March 2020 21:40

On the bright side at least the flamers can go suck a lemon for that 3rd round pick now...

.. you're RIGHT! Didn't even think about it!
Suck it Flame-outs!
https://i.gifer.com/37N.gif

I wonder how many performance based contracts are going to get burned.. should be interesting..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757808 is a reply to message #757792 ]
Fri, 13 March 2020 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Here is what I would do for the NHL.

All the teams have over 10 games left. So that's over 3 weeks of games. There is only so much pushing back you can do because you need an offseason not just for teams to do business like the draft and free agency but for players to recover. The playoffs are critical to the NHL as it showcases their game and is BIG money makers and gate money still has a big time impact on the NHL bottom line unlike other leagues. If the players are going to be away from the game for weeks, it's unrealistic for them not to at least have a week to skate and get going again. So you have to consider the league games are gone. So to figure out the playoffs, I would do this if I was Commish.

If you are in the top 3 of your division when the season ended, you are in the playoffs. If you look at the standings, most of the top 3 teams in all divisions are fairly safe to make it. Even the Oilers would have to completely imploded and other teams go on a crazy run for them not to make the playoffs in some position. Teams that are close in points might complain about seeding if they are close. So if there is more than 1 point separation between teams, you hold your spot. So Boston 100, Tampa 92, Toronto 81. Stay the same. St. Louis 94, Colorado 92, Dallas 82, stay. Vegas 86, Oilers 83, Calgary 79. Stay.
For the Metro. Wash 90, Philly 89, Pens 86. Pens stay in 3rd. Wash & Philly have a 1 game playoff in Washington because they were first at the time. Philly wins in regulation, they get first. They don't, stays the same.

For the Wild card, have a mini tournament. Take the 2 wildcard teams plus the 2 next closest. Have the first wildcard play the 4th team, the second play the 3rd. It's a 2 game, total goals tournament. I picked 2 games because that makes it so each team gets 1 home game so they aren't complaining. Most goals wins. The NHL doesn't have ties so it will work as every team has a winner.

It works well for the West. Win 80, Van 78, Nash 78, Minn 77. The next team is Arizona at 74. There is just too many points between Arizona and any of the teams to justify having them in.

For the East. Carolina 81, Columbus 81, Islanders 80, Rangers 79, Florida 78. Then it drops to the Habs at 71. So Florida will complain. I would do a 1 game between Rangers and Florida. Florida wins in regulation they are in the mini tournament. They don't sorry. Then whoever wins between the Rangers/Florida are in the wildcard tournament.

This allows all the teams who realistically are in the hunt, meaning within a couple of points, to have the chance to make the playoffs. Their destiny is in their hands. Win and you are in. For any teams who are technically mathematically still in but need to go on an insane winning streak and have another team hit the skids, sorry about your luck. As an example. Arizona currently trails Vancouver by 4 points but Vancouver has a game in hand. To make it, the Yotes have to win most of their games and have all of Vancouver, Nashville and Minnie hit the skids. Could it happen? Sure. Will it? Very, Very unlikely.

It's not perfect, I am sure some teams will complain but in reality, there is no perfect system. In all likelihood, the teams that are in the top 3 spots now would be the teams there if they played 82 and the wildcard teams that are there now, probably are going to be there in the end. If they played the full 82, maybe you see the last wildcard spot team different. At this time of the year if you aren't already holding a spot or at most 1-2 points out, you most likely are not making it. The NHL has designed things so that teams stay close and once you get behind, it's extremely hard to make up points. There is just too much parity.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 March 2020 10:52]

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757820 is a reply to message #757808 ]
Fri, 13 March 2020 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Canada to the rescue yet again!

Canadian research team has isolated the Coronavirus.

Looks like someone told them that the NHL season was in jeopardy. Nothing will get a Canadian to work harder than a threat to hockey. NOTHING!!!

P.S.: Ok, so I was late to the game, but I stand by what I said.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 March 2020 12:48]

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757837 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

.. and now .. my beer league just got suspended.. by the rink company...played last game tonight ..middle of playoffs.. well at least my Friday nights a free now.. my summer hockey starts in 6 weeks, I can hang til then..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757839 is a reply to message #757837 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

We need a running counter of games lost. Both NHL and others.

NHL Games canceled (through Mar 13): 15
Oilfans beer league games canceled: 1

I'm just assuming my ball hockey semi final gets postponed Sunday. I'm even less optimistic about volleyball next Wednesday. Feel free to update the counter.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757840 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27 is currently online kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Quality of ice wouldn't be as good...but having the NHL start mid-winter till late summer would kill off Major League Baseball eh? (I'd be down for it...)

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757842 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oilers announced they will pay part time staff the difference between their EI payments and their normal payments as if games were ongoing. Good stuff.

Lames org on the other hand have told part time employees that they can go f themselves.

Calgary is no good

[Updated on: Sat, 14 March 2020 13:27]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757850 is a reply to message #757842 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 14 March 2020 13:18

Oilers announced they will pay part time staff the difference between their EI payments and their normal payments as if games were ongoing. Good stuff.

Lames org on the other hand have told part time employees that they can go f themselves.

Calgary is no good

Are you saying C=NG? That’s an equation I can get behind.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757851 is a reply to message #757850 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 14 March 2020 13:53

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 14 March 2020 13:18

Calgary is no good

Are you saying C=NG? That’s an equation I can get behind.

One of Einstein's lesser known theories that he came up with in his declining years (>26 years old) as a physicist. It has certainly turned out to be 100% proven.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 March 2020 14:15]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757855 is a reply to message #757842 ]
Sat, 14 March 2020 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lames players helping to do what their ownership will not

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-s ports-amp-entertainment

Can see Looch, Giorando, Brodie, Bennett and Rinaldo in the donor list

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757858 is a reply to message #757855 ]
Sun, 15 March 2020 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 14 March 2020 23:53

Lames players helping to do what their ownership will not

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-s ports-amp-entertainment

Can see Looch, Giorando, Brodie, Bennett and Rinaldo in the donor list

Gio’s wife stepped up with an additional $5k. Good on them. Bunch of bums, but doing the right thing.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757896 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Will the 2020 NHL Season Be...[ 23 vote(s) ]
1.Cancelled 15 / 65%
2.Salvaged 1 / 4%
3.Playoffs only 7 / 30%

Curious about your thoughts..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757897 is a reply to message #757896 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think (hope?) this thing will clear up just enough to start a shortened playoff in June... but that feels a touch optimistic. Restarting the world is going to be a chore.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757898 is a reply to message #757897 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 16 March 2020 11:10

I think (hope?) this thing will clear up just enough to start a shortened playoff in June... but that feels a touch optimistic. Restarting the world is going to be a chore.

Can it be done to hit pause on money/rent/loans/services? I don't know. A chore? Man, I think it's going to be monumentally bad.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757900 is a reply to message #757898 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I think the regular season is automatically done but I think the NHL will do everything in their power to have some kind of playoffs.

I could see them having some kind of play in mini tournament for any teams outside of the playoffs who are within striking distance of the wildcard spots. I could see them adjusting the length of series to shorten things. I could see them making more regional series to cut down on travel regardless of where teams end up in the standings or if they are in the same division. You often see teams getting a "travel day" so instead of playing every other day, there are multiple days between days. So as an example. If Edmonton and Calgary made the playoffs they would play each other no matter where they finished in the standings.

The playoffs are the NHLs showcase and also a huge money maker for the league both for the teams that are in the playoffs plus revenue sharing. So I think they will do everything think they possibly can to have some kind of playoffs.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757905 is a reply to message #757898 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 16 March 2020 11:14

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 16 March 2020 11:10

Can it be done to hit pause on money/rent/loans/services? I don't know. A chore? Man, I think it's going to be monumentally bad.

The only solutions I can see is are allowing the collapse and subsequent market correction or printing money and hoping no one notices the devaluation. Either way... the future looks somewhat different than the past.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757908 is a reply to message #757896 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they play before the fall.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757919 is a reply to message #757745 ]
Mon, 16 March 2020 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

So with the season all but done:

Drai for Hart and Art Ross
Drai or McDavid get the Lindsay? Or maybe Mackinnon there
Ovi ties Pastrnak for Richard

I don’t know if Neal gets comeback player since he was hurt for a while but there’s a chance.

I’d love a 24 team playoffs with shorter series in the late spring.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: NHL Season Suspended [message #757998 is a reply to message #757919 ]
Thu, 19 March 2020 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

With the NHL season postponed/potentially cancelled and the playoffs up in the air. It's pretty realistic to think that the NHL is going to lose a lot of revenue this year and it might impact the next season. The NHL came out awhile ago and projected the cap raising. I can't see how that happens now. Every year, there are players who will be looking for deals and who will count on teams having the cap space and in the same, count on the cap to go up to help teams get more space. The players and teams are supposed to be 50-50 so the more money the league makes, the more the cap goes up, the more the players makes.

So with this unforeseen problem with this virus that will ultimately hurt league revenue and in turn hurt unsigned players salaries. I wonder if the players Union would be open to and the league agreeing to allowing a non cap affecting player buy out to help clear space? At the end of the day, all the players are concerned about is their members getting paid and getting as much money as they can. How that happens, I don't think anyone cares. So if a team were to be able to buy out a contract of a player, just pay out his years but it doesn't count against the cap, the player gets his money and he is free to sign another deal. You could stipulate that it only applies to guys who do not have any kind of no trade or no move clause. They had that put in because they want to stay so you have to honor it. So take Neal. Oilers got him to get rid of Lucic. Great trade in my books. He had 3 yrs at 5.75 mill. He's a decent player still, is he worth that anymore? Hard to say but probably not. So if you could buy him out at what's left. He gets all his money and could sign for another deal. If he signed another deal at even half that. He's probably a value deal AND he makes more money. IN turn the Oilers have cleared up money so they can sign someone else.

I am bored and I just finished listening to Stauffer talk to agent Gerry Johanson about the impact this will have on the cap and future signings. It's going to hurt guys and limit where they can go vs if nothing happened and the cap went up like it was supposed too, guys would have more options.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 March 2020 13:34]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67)
Next Topic:Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca