This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756951 is a reply to message #756950 ]
Wed, 04 March 2020 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 04 March 2020 16:28

Here is a question, do people think this years roster is better than the 16-17 roster that got screwed out of the West finals?

16-17 the Oilers defense was:
Klef- Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

This year when healthy, their defense is probably
Klef-Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Jones/Russell - Green/Benning

I would argue that with more experience, more puck moving and a true left-right combos, this years defense is better than 16-17.

Forward wise, McDavid and Leon with more experience are clearly better than 16-17. I think Nuge is properly cast and is a better player now. I think Kassian is a better player now than he was. I think center wise, the 16-17 team had better bottom 6 centers but the Oilers are deeper on the wings with this team.

Goaltending, 16-17 Talbot was out of his mind that year so maybe there is a slight edge but they didn't have a back up in 16-17 and like I said, I think their defense overall is a lot better than 16-17.

So in my opinion with the emergence of Yamo, and the additions of Ennis and AA. Plus they have guys like Sheahan and Arch vs say Slep who wasn't ready back then and Caggulia. I think this teams Oilers is a mostly deeper forward group.

So overall, I think they are better than 16-17 team.

Big question mark is goaltending. Smith can go totally nuts, but at this point in his career? For a whole playoffs? Koskinen has had his share of playoff success, but in the KHL :) Let's just call him a wildcard :P

Weirder things have happened. Guys you don't expect have gone on crazy runs. Unfortunately, the eventual winners usually end up being goalies known to be very good, or some young home grown young talents that have been riding a high all year long and carried it into the playoffs.

The gamble we made this year is certainly not one I would bet big money on. I would have bet more on Talbot, but I guess we will see.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756954 is a reply to message #756951 ]
Wed, 04 March 2020 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 04 March 2020 16:41

Big question mark is goaltending. Smith can go totally nuts, but at this point in his career? For a whole playoffs? Koskinen has had his share of playoff success, but in the KHL :) Let's just call him a wildcard :P

Weirder things have happened. Guys you don't expect have gone on crazy runs. Unfortunately, the eventual winners usually end up being goalies known to be very good, or some young home grown young talents that have been riding a high all year long and carried it into the playoffs.

The gamble we made this year is certainly not one I would bet big money on. I would have bet more on Talbot, but I guess we will see.

I think that how the D plays is more important to how well the goalies will do. With a solid enough D in front of him, Koski can have a good game like he did last night in Dallas. With a solid enough D in front of him, Smith could easily go on a hot run of play. The Oil don't have a goalie who can steal games while facing 35+ shots a night, but they can do well if given the right amount of support from the D.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756965 is a reply to message #756951 ]
Wed, 04 March 2020 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Agreed - goaltending is the big weakness. We likely have to score at a high rate to compensate for average at best goaltending - and that gets harder if our powerplay doesn't get opportunities to play.

It's impossible to overlook just how important special teams have been for the Oilers. Right now, we're the 10th best team in the league on a points basis. We're 12th in Goals For, and 15th in Goals Against, 13th in goal differential. But at 5v5, we're the 18th best scoring team in the league and the 26th best at keeping the puck out of our own net. It's the best special teams in the league that's responsible for putting us where we are in the standings.

And I know we've talked about it ad nauseum over the last couple years, but depth wins playoff series. Other team's depth players badly, badly outplay our third and fourth lines. I think the deadline acquisitions should help with that - they push worse players like Patrick Russell and Colby Cave out of the lineup, but we need a big step up from guys - they can't just hang on and hope that McDavid and Draisaitl blow out the opposition every night.

All that said, we do have an advantage based on the division we play in. It looks likely right now that the Oilers will end up playing either Vancouver or Calgary in the first round. Neither of those teams are particularly good or scary. Vegas is the likely second round opponent and while better than those other two, I don't think they're a team I'm terrified to face either. There's an advantage to being in the worst division in hockey...

If the Oilers WERE able to get through the first two rounds, you could have a battered foe on the other side. It's likely Colorado/St. Louis in round 2, and I think those teams will take a lot out of each other...If the team were to get a couple breaks, and if the goaltending is better than expected...well, maybe we could see a run.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756974 is a reply to message #756951 ]
Thu, 05 March 2020 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Here is a question, do people think this years roster is better than the 16-17 roster that got screwed out of the West finals?

Klef- Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Klef-Larsson
Nurse - Bear

I would argue that with more experience, more puck moving and a true left-right combos, this years defense is better than 16-17.

Forward wise, McDavid and Leon with more experience are clearly better than 16-17. I think Nuge is properly cast and is a better player now. I think Kassian is a better player now than he was. I think center wise, the 16-17 team had better bottom 6 centers but the Oilers are deeper on the wings with this team.

Goaltending, 16-17 Talbot was out of his mind that year so maybe there is a slight edge but they didn't have a back up in 16-17 and like I said, I think their defense overall is a lot better than 16-17.

So in my opinion with the emergence of Yamo, and the additions of Ennis and AA. Plus they have guys like Sheahan and Arch vs say Slep who wasn't ready back then and Caggulia. I think this teams Oilers is a mostly deeper forward group.

Goaltending will definitely be a big question mark. Both guys have shown to be able to steal games and play at a high level but they also can drop off big time. I wouldn't call it giving me comfort but I don't see there being much of a drop off between either of them which I guess is a good thing.

I wouldn't have kept Talbot. For 2 years in a row he was BAD for most of the year. Sure the defense wasn't good enough but on a lot of nights he was flat out just not good. Letting in garbage goals and just not making saves. It was time to move on in my opinion. His numbers are a lot better in Calgary but he's only played 25 games and it's not like Rittich has shot the lights out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756975 is a reply to message #756974 ]
Thu, 05 March 2020 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 05 March 2020 09:37

Klef- Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Klef-Larsson
Nurse - Bear

Goaltending will definitely be a big question mark. Both guys have shown to be able to steal games and play at a high level but they also can drop off big time. I wouldn't call it giving me comfort but I don't see there being much of a drop off between either of them which I guess is a good thing.

I wouldn't have kept Talbot. For 2 years in a row he was BAD for most of the year. Sure the defense wasn't good enough but on a lot of nights he was flat out just not good. Letting in garbage goals and just not making saves. It was time to move on in my opinion. His numbers are a lot better in Calgary but he's only played 25 games and it's not like Rittich has shot the lights out.

Just gonna toss this out there;

Mike Smith was the one positively consistent player in the Flames playoff series last year.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756977 is a reply to message #756975 ]
Thu, 05 March 2020 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 05 March 2020 08:46

Klef- Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Klef-Larsson
Nurse - Bear

Mike Smith was the one positively consistent player in the Flames playoff series last year.

Absolutely which is why I am not gloom and doom on the goaltending as much. He has shown he can elevate his play and the same goes with Koskinen. I have really loved how Tippet has handled the goalies. Koskinen stood on his head against Dallas, I have to think seeing Smith playing well and winning impacted that a bit. If I was him, I'd be fired up and want to do well.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756984 is a reply to message #756975 ]
Thu, 05 March 2020 09:23 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 05 March 2020 08:46

Klef- Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning

Klef-Larsson
Nurse - Bear

It was a pretty small sample size. The Flames lost in 5 games.

Smith played well - his stats were well above his regular season numbers, but with so few games, it doesn't mean much.

Look, I hope it goes well too...but it's almost a miracle performance if one of these guys elevates significantly in the playoffs. And if it was Smith, I'd really worry about what the Oilers would do next...I assume a longer contract at significant dollars, which would be foolish no matter how he plays in the playoffs.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67) [message #756920 is a reply to message #756917 ]
Wed, 04 March 2020 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 04 March 2020 11:18

Amazing stat circulating on twitter on the top scorers (points per game) so far in 2020:

Quote:

NHL leaders in points per game since New Year’s Eve:

1) Draisaitl: 1.81
2) McDavid: 1.60
3) RNH: 1.46

That's pretty solid. Now - if the depth guys could just get their act together, we could win the division...

Dang. Been waiting for a 2 line team since the 2017 playoffs. I really hope we can stay healthy now. If AA hits his stride to solidify the top line, we would have some decent pieces that could maybe make a useful 3rd line. Would be up to wingers to drive a line. Neal looked decent last night.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #68)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca