This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755971]
Tue, 25 February 2020 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Anaheim to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755981 is a reply to message #755971 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

angryfire

Two points for Eakins? UGLY.

If the team had shown up for the first period, that's an easy win.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755983 is a reply to message #755981 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 February 2020 22:38

angryfire

I guess we should be glad that they got the loser point after such a terrible first.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755989 is a reply to message #755981 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 February 2020 22:38

angryfire

You're not allowed to complain about the 1st period you chicken little! :)

Yuge game tomorrow

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755992 is a reply to message #755981 ]
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Big point I suppose. But the confidence I had going in to OT last year is completely gone.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756003 is a reply to message #755981 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Gene Principe
@GenePrincipe

"If that's a call(penalty) then there should have been six called on Connor. That was a soft call" @EdmontonOilers Dave Tippett on @cmcdavid97 OT penalty vs @AnaheimDucks

Nice to have a coach who will actually stick up for his players once in a while.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756004 is a reply to message #756003 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 25 February 2020 23:22

Quote:

Gene Principe
@GenePrincipe

"If that's a call(penalty) then there should have been six called on Connor. That was a soft call" @EdmontonOilers Dave Tippett on @cmcdavid97 OT penalty vs @AnaheimDucks

Nice to have a coach who will actually stick up for his players once in a while.

McLellan had 50 chances to do that. Every time he doesn't want to comment.

At the same time he gets owned by a coach that before a series even starts is whining about McDavid drawing too many calls.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755985 is a reply to message #755971 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Well, when you show up to play roughly an hour late, you get an OT loss to the Ducks and bust their 5 game home losing streak. Have to be 10 times better tomorrow night.

Disappointing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755990 is a reply to message #755971 ]
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

A point is a point. Nice to see the new guys can score. Hope we can show up to play in the first next game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755991 is a reply to message #755971 ]
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Looked like a team trying to figure out their new scoring lines. They got bettter as the game went on.

Long story short. Blew a relatively easy 2 points, but it could’ve been worse. I like what I seen from Ennis and Athanasiou.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #755993 is a reply to message #755971 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So...SN asked which streak would end tonight:

Ducks losing at home
Oilers winning on the road

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o7btPCcdNniyf0ArS/giphy.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756011 is a reply to message #755971 ]
Tue, 25 February 2020 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Thoughts:

-#97 taps Ducks player on the thigh & that's misconstrued as a trip below the knees? Come on...

-First period was full of defensive mind lapses, but the lines were finally developing chemistry a bit too late in the last two periods.

-First line was missing the presence of Yams

-Puck moving of Caleb Jones & Ethan Bear keeps improving....but the team really misses Klefbom's shooting from the point.

-Outside of Klefbom's contributions offensively, they miss other intangibles such as shot blocking/defensive positioning.

-Team will likely go through more re-adjustments regarding chemistry once Kass and Neal are back...but it'll eventually instill more overall hockey sense on at least 3 of the forward lines.

-Seeing Rakell flying around gave me nightmares from that 2017 playoff series.

-Team seemed so eager about the deadline acquisitions that they forgot to prepare for last night's game...good thing Coyotes crapped the bed at home....must win in Vegas coming up....

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2020 23:50]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756013 is a reply to message #755971 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

The optimism after the trade deadline reminded me a lot of the 2006 deadline. I remember I was at the first Oilers game with Roloson and Samsonov in Columbus, super excited to see them play for the Oilers. That game had a similar end though...

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200603110CBJ.html

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756014 is a reply to message #756013 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 26 February 2020 00:07

The optimism after the trade deadline reminded me a lot of the 2006 deadline. I remember I was at the first Oilers game with Roloson and Samsonov in Columbus, super excited to see them play for the Oilers. That game had a similar end though...

If I recall correctly the Oilers backed into the 8th seed and needed help to do that, sort of underwhelming. Hopefully the rest of this season has better momentum, and the playoff run is long.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756020 is a reply to message #756014 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 26 February 2020 00:18

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 26 February 2020 00:07

If I recall correctly the Oilers backed into the 8th seed and needed help to do that, sort of underwhelming. Hopefully the rest of this season has better momentum, and the playoff run is long.

Canucks had a monumental meltdown, I think 2 wins in their last 11, which is why Oilers got in.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756015 is a reply to message #756013 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 26 February 2020 01:07

If you want a laugher...Jokinen's debut with the Flames after the trade deadline in 2009 was groundbreaking only for his presence to eventually disrupt team chemistry rest of the way....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756025 is a reply to message #755971 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Ugly looking game. Once again played down to the competition. You could see AA was tentative with McD where Ennis just played. IMO AA needs to play his game and react as opposed to trying to defer to McD. Need some practice time to get them into the program. Nurse makes terrible decisions. its unfortunate he is deemed part of the core as opposed to being traded for value instead of chewing up huge cap dollars. Hopefully we can get healthy and back into a system/rhythm soon. Makes tonight the Must Win.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756031 is a reply to message #756025 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Not to make excuses for the Oilers losing to a team on a downward spiral and chock full of AHL'ers, but these guys had what, 2 hours to get used to the new team chemistry? The new guys flew across four time zones to play last night with guys they have never gone to war with. Connor McDavid can make anyone look good, but giving him two line mates that he probably wouldn't recognize on the street? Not going to have much chemistry in such a situation.

Then there was Draisaitl's line - just not the same.

Great job by Caleb Jones. Nice to have a young player show steady gains in confidence and performance after a rather weak performance at training camp.

And the refereeing? Goes without saying.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756037 is a reply to message #756031 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Agree with you that Caleb Jones has become a real positive to the season too. He looks strong and confident. Really cheap overtime penalty call on McD to hand the point to the Ducks though. You'd think it would have to be something really blatant in OT before the ref would even consider calling it but that was at least half dive. Makes you wonder sometimes. Ref should be reprimanded by the league for a big mistake in such a key situation. You'd think there would be higher standards in the best league in the world but bad calls are actually pretty common.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 February 2020 09:38]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63) [message #756042 is a reply to message #756031 ]
Wed, 26 February 2020 09:58 Go to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 26 February 2020 09:05

Not to make excuses for the Oilers losing to a team on a downward spiral and chock full of AHL'ers, but these guys had what, 2 hours to get used to the new team chemistry? The new guys flew across four time zones to play last night with guys they have never gone to war with. Connor McDavid can make anyone look good, but giving him two line mates that he probably wouldn't recognize on the street? Not going to have much chemistry in such a situation.

Then there was Draisaitl's line - just not the same.

Great job by Caleb Jones. Nice to have a young player show steady gains in confidence and performance after a rather weak performance at training camp.

And the refereeing? Goes without saying.

To be fair though, Anaheim had even more new players in the lineup, and the new players (on both sides) played better than anyone else.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Las Vegas (Game #64)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #63)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca