This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754499]
Thu, 13 February 2020 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Tampa Bay to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754501 is a reply to message #754499 ]
Thu, 13 February 2020 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I hate guaranteed loss night

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754503 is a reply to message #754501 ]
Thu, 13 February 2020 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 13 February 2020 19:34

I hate guaranteed loss night

It’s my second least favourite after cheap beer thursdays.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754510 is a reply to message #754499 ]
Thu, 13 February 2020 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

5 games for Kassian? Love the guy, but he’s been a meathead since that last Calgary game.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754512 is a reply to message #754510 ]
Thu, 13 February 2020 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Thu, 13 February 2020 21:00

5 games for Kassian? Love the guy, but he’s been a meathead since that last Calgary game.

Do we see him or McDavid back first?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754513 is a reply to message #754512 ]
Thu, 13 February 2020 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 13 February 2020 20:31

Ales Cooper wrote on Thu, 13 February 2020 21:00

Do we see him or McDavid back first?

Missed the game. PVR messed up, but I just saw the highlights. If they gave Kass the rest of season I wouldn’t argue. If that skate blade slides up he’s looking at a manslaughter charge.

Does he even think?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754514 is a reply to message #754499 ]
Thu, 13 February 2020 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Klefbong is good for a I nice cough-up at the blue line every game these days, nice one Jethro. Another SHG, and GWG..
https://media3.giphy.com/media/LTnGKg9PSE3ZK/200.webp?cid=790b761112ba136437906459a0a841694dec7599075b9bb9&rid=200.webp

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754522 is a reply to message #754514 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 13 February 2020 23:18

Klefbong is good for a I nice cough-up at the blue line every game these days, nice one Jethro. Another SHG, and GWG..

That one is all on Drai IMO. He tries for the one man zone entry but skates into a pack of players. Last minute he tries to dish the puck to Klef and it goes the other way.

I know you dont like Klefbom but I think he is by far our best and most consistent D this year. I shudder to think what would happen to this team without him

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754518 is a reply to message #754499 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

The village idiot is slated for an in person hearing, per Bobby Mac and THE Elliott.

Strongly believe we get McDavid back before we see Kassian again. Smh.

Neal(supposed drunken idiocy?)-McDavid(freak stumble into boards)-Kassian(absolute sober(?) idiocy) all gonezo for an unknown amount of time.

This is fine.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754520 is a reply to message #754518 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-zack-kassian-to-have-in-p erson-hearing-for-kick-on-cernak-1.1442727

"Edmonton Oilers forward Zack Kassian will have an in-person hearing for his kick on Tampa Bay Lightning defenceman Erik Cernak, according to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie.

With an in-person hearing, Kassian could face a suspension of six games or more for the action."

Looks like Kassian could be out of the lineup for a a long time. Hope Tyler Benson is ready.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754519 is a reply to message #754499 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NostalicForTheEighties  is currently offline NostalicForTheEighties

No Cups

Hi everyone. First time post for me but I been following the forum for a little over a year. I've never felt the need to post on a comment before as many of you already say exactly what I've been feeling watching the Oilers ups and downs. But after watching Kassian deliver a skate blade kick to the sternum of a fellow player I just couldn't sit silent anymore. Kassian cost us the game against Calgary when he pummeled an unwilling tkcahuk. Many of us believe it was his God given right to do so after those three hits. Last night's actions are totally unjustified and damn right dangerous. Kassian is a neanderthal who has no purpose in the modern game after this stunt. As a professional hockey player in the greatest league in the world he has to be able to control his impulses better than a seven year old brat on the ice or a drunken buffoon in some beer league game. I rank this play right up there when that jackass Kyle Sheen delivered that disgusting head shot to Ryan Smyth (another Edmonton legend sorely missed) in that final of the seniors tripe AAA game a few years back. I'd say demote Kassian to the minors as penalty for his immaturity and lack of human decency but I don't think any punishment will get through that thick skull into his peanut sized brain. Very sad to see this happen after so many incidents the last few weeks with skates cutting players. Perhaps his punishment should be instead of suiting up for game time he's forced to watch the Clint Malerchuk incident on repeat for the entire duration of the game for the rest of the season. Fred Flintstone is going to cost us wins and in this tight playoff race we can't afford that.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2020 07:25]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754521 is a reply to message #754519 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

NostalicForTheEighties wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 07:20

Hi everyone. First time post for me but I been following the forum for a little over a year. I've never felt the need to post on a comment before as many of you already say exactly what I've been feeling watching the Oilers ups and downs. But after watching Kassian deliver a skate blade kick to.thr sternum of a fellow player I just couldn't sit silent anymore. Kassian cost us the game against Calgary when he pummeled an unwilling tkcahuk. Many of us believe it was his God given right to do so after those three hits. Last night's actions are totally unjustified and damn right dangerous. Kassian is a neanderthal who has no purpose in the modern game after this stunt. As a professional hockey player in the greatest league in the world he has to be able to control his impulses better than a seven year old brat on the ice or a drunken buffoon in some beer league game. I rank this play right up there when that jackass Kyle Sheen delivered that disgusting head shot to Ryan Smith (another Edmonton legend sorely missed) in that final a few years back. I'd say demote Kassian to the minors as penalty for his immaturity and lack of human decency but I don't think any punishment will get through that thick skull into his peanut sized brain. Very sad to see this happen after so many incidents the last few weeks with skates cutting players. Perhaps his punishment should be instead of suiting up for game time he's forced to watch the Clint Malerchuk incident on repeat for the entire duration of the game for the rest of the season. Fred Flintstone is going to cost us wins and in this tight playoff race we can't afford that.

Well said. I haven't seen or heard anyone that supports the Oilers defend Kassian for this. He got a lot of support here when he got his two game suspension in the Calgary game but that has all evaporated.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754524 is a reply to message #754521 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Damn that Vasilevsky is GOOD. Won them the game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754544 is a reply to message #754524 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 08:04

Damn that Vasilevsky is GOOD. Won them the game.

Smith was good, too. He kept the Oilers from being clobbered. Tampa Bay was giving the Oilers fits all night in the defending zone, and Smith was solid.

I wonder which of the back-to-back matinees this weekend will have Smith in the net.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754527 is a reply to message #754521 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 07:27

Hi everyone. First time post for me but I been following the forum for a little over a year. I've never felt the need to post on a comment before as many of you already say exactly what I've been feeling watching the Oilers ups and downs. But after watching Kassian deliver a skate blade kick to.thr sternum of a fellow player I just couldn't sit silent anymore. Kassian cost us the game against Calgary when he pummeled an unwilling tkcahuk. Many of us believe it was his God given right to do so after those three hits. Last night's actions are totally unjustified and damn right dangerous. Kassian is a neanderthal who has no purpose in the modern game after this stunt. As a professional hockey player in the greatest league in the world he has to be able to control his impulses better than a seven year old brat on the ice or a drunken buffoon in some beer league game. I rank this play right up there when that jackass Kyle Sheen delivered that disgusting head shot to Ryan Smith (another Edmonton legend sorely missed) in that final a few years back. I'd say demote Kassian to the minors as penalty for his immaturity and lack of human decency but I don't think any punishment will get through that thick skull into his peanut sized brain. Very sad to see this happen after so many incidents the last few weeks with skates cutting players. Perhaps his punishment should be instead of suiting up for game time he's forced to watch the Clint Malerchuk incident on repeat for the entire duration of the game for the rest of the season. Fred Flintstone is going to cost us wins and in this tight playoff race we can't afford that.

Well said. I haven't seen or heard anyone that supports the Oilers defend Kassian for this. He got a lot of support here when he got his two game suspension in the Calgary game but that has all evaporated.

Dave Staples is doing his best to make Oiler fans look stupid. “Did he even make contact?”, “I need to see another angle”, blah blah blah.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754565 is a reply to message #754527 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 08:33

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 07:27

Dave Staples is doing his best to make Oiler fans look stupid. “Did he even make contact?”, “I need to see another angle”, blah blah blah.

I had him under the bus too but when I watched the youtube video of it carefully am pretty certain his skate didn't even make contact with the player and if it did it would have been his arm, not chest the way it's being hyped. Is a kicking motion in an attempt to get on you're feet quickly, without contact enough to get you suspended for 5 or 6 games? I guess you could say it was a dangerous thing to do but nothing really happened. He was trying to get up, did and the play moved on. I bet there isn't a mark on the guys jersey but because Kass is one of the leagues favorite whipping boys, he'll probably get the book thrown at him again. I would never defend a player maliciously kicking someone but that's not what happened.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2020 12:55]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754570 is a reply to message #754565 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Contact or not, using your metal skate blade as a weapon is not okay and is malicious itself.

The NHL has no choice here, they can't set a precedent that using your blade is okay, regardless of contact. Kassian will likely deserve whatever he gets.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754572 is a reply to message #754570 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 13:34

Contact or not, using your metal skate blade as a weapon is not okay and is malicious itself.

The NHL has no choice here, they can't set a precedent that using your blade is okay, regardless of contact. Kassian will likely deserve whatever he gets.

Yep. It's just a really dangerous play that could go very wrong very easily. The only precedents I can think of that compare are the skate stompings by Pronger and Simon. Those had more malice, so I don't think he gets as harsh a penalty, but still...they won't go easy here.

See you in March, Zack!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754577 is a reply to message #754572 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 14:15

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 13:34

Yep. It's just a really dangerous play that could go very wrong very easily. The only precedents I can think of that compare are the skate stompings by Pronger and Simon. Those had more malice, so I don't think he gets as harsh a penalty, but still...they won't go easy here.

See you in March, Zack!

Skinner got two games last year for something similar. No injury on this place, and if he can convince them of no intent to injure, he may have a pretty solid case.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754573 is a reply to message #754570 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Hard fought game against a good team, good effort tonight. Draisaitl turn over at the line and lazy back check by Klefbom sunk us

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754525 is a reply to message #754519 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Hi everyone. First time post for me but I been following the forum for a little over a year. I've never felt the need to post on a comment before as many of you already say exactly what I've been feeling watching the Oilers ups and downs. But after watching Kassian deliver a skate blade kick to the sternum of a fellow player I just couldn't sit silent anymore. Kassian cost us the game against Calgary when he pummeled an unwilling tkcahuk. Many of us believe it was his God given right to do so after those three hits. Last night's actions are totally unjustified and damn right dangerous. Kassian is a neanderthal who has no purpose in the modern game after this stunt. As a professional hockey player in the greatest league in the world he has to be able to control his impulses better than a seven year old brat on the ice or a drunken buffoon in some beer league game. I rank this play right up there when that jackass Kyle Sheen delivered that disgusting head shot to Ryan Smyth (another Edmonton legend sorely missed) in that final of the seniors tripe AAA game a few years back. I'd say demote Kassian to the minors as penalty for his immaturity and lack of human decency but I don't think any punishment will get through that thick skull into his peanut sized brain. Very sad to see this happen after so many incidents the last few weeks with skates cutting players. Perhaps his punishment should be instead of suiting up for game time he's forced to watch the Clint Malerchuk incident on repeat for the entire duration of the game for the rest of the season. Fred Flintstone is going to cost us wins and in this tight playoff race we can't afford that.

Also hasn’t produced much since the contract was signed. Only 4 more years of this though (minus 10-20 suspended games).

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754526 is a reply to message #754525 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 08:18

Also hasn’t produced much since the contract was signed. Only 4 more years of this though (minus 10-20 suspended games).

Might be lucky if it's just 10-20 per season at this rate.

Ugh...I was worried he would let up after getting a multi-year deal, but I wasn't expecting it would be immediately. We better get a damn good LW for McDavid if we want to have a RW spot that Kassian can look useful in now and then.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754530 is a reply to message #754525 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

He has 2 points in 7 games since signing. He had 1 point in the previous 7. I don't think the signing had anything to do with it. I think he's either a) in a slump or b) this is more realistic of his abilities. I think it's a slump but his kick last night (although not as malicious or intentional as some are making it sound) was a very poor decision and is going to put the team in a very very hard place.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754532 is a reply to message #754530 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 08:50

He has 2 points in 7 games since signing. He had 1 point in the previous 7. I don't think the signing had anything to do with it. I think he's either a) in a slump or b) this is more realistic of his abilities. I think it's a slump but his kick last night (although not as malicious or intentional as some are making it sound) was a very poor decision and is going to put the team in a very very hard place.

His decline probably just dates back to when Drai was put on his own line and Kassian didn't get to be the, by far, 3rd best player on his line. He needs 2 other guys carrying 90% of the play. As soon as you start depending on Kassian to do more than just crash the net and mix things up physically, you're not gonna get much done.

Points aside, I think his overall effort level has fallen off since the deal was signed though. He's a ghost out there now, aside from the odd kick to the chest of the opposition.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754535 is a reply to message #754530 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

bigEfromGP wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 08:50

Hard place is right. Wasn’t our first line Neal, McDavid, Kassian a little while ago?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754546 is a reply to message #754499 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

https://y.yarn.co/b0e8e267-65c9-4ec0-a3c0-ea3c260a996c_text_hi.gif

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754547 is a reply to message #754546 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kassian has declined the in person hearing. He will have a telephone hearing this afternoon.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754582 is a reply to message #754547 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

This may be an unpopular opinion based on what I've been seeing online today, but here's my take on the Kassian "kick".

He's down, tied up with 2 other players, one of them his own teammate who's extremely close to his leg/skate. I see Kassian struggling to get loose, and while doing so jerks his leg back, forward, then back again. The TB player doesn't react as though anything out of the ordinary has happened, they all get up and skate away. There are no words exchanged, no stare down, no reaction from other players during or after the play, nor later in the game. Once on the bench, both players move on as nothing has occurred.

The video doesn't actually prove anything, you see Kassian jerking is leg back and forth, which could easily be (and has been) interpreted by many as a kick. I see no actual evidence or intent on Kassian's part to kick the TB player. I see a struggle, that's it. I have yet to see another angle of the incident showing Kassian making contact with his skate. My opinion could change with more information.

1) The video doesn't look good on Kassian, combined with his recent suspension and reputation, it seems like a no brainer to suspend him to appease the masses crying foul.
2) If there was intent to kick, and that can be objectively proven, then whether or not he made contact is irrelevant and he should be suspended. Stupid, reckless play. 2 games + 1 more because he's Kassian.
3) If there is evidence that he intended to and made contact, I could see a significant suspension and would agree with it. That's garbage, we don't need it in the game, Oiler or any other player. 10 games.
4) Proving intent based on the 1 video circulating the internet seems impossible and therefore I would say any contact was unintentional, but can't be proven either way. No suspension.
5) Without actual video evidence proving he made contact, how is this any different than a reckless high stick, that almost makes contact? No suspension.
6) And if it did make contact, then again, how is it any different than a reckless high stick that catches another player, not resulting in any injury at all? I would argue that a high stick is more reckless and more dangerous than what happened here. No suspension.

In my opinion, taking all the evidence that I've seen into consideration, I would give Kassian a warning about being more responsible for his skates. At worst, I would give him a fine.

Nobody was injured, there was no penalty called, no scrum, not even raised tempers or stern words exchanged. The public is freaking out, so I see the NHL using this to set an example, or more specifically show that they actually do something. Meanwhile, other players are being actually injured with intent and proof of both, and not getting suspended, or even called to a hearing. Chara the other night on Gallagher, Kane on Benning earlier this season, no penalty called, no hearing, no suspension. Benning out with a concussion. Was their intent on Kanes' part? Not sure, but it was vicious, reckless, unsafe, and wasn't even looked at by the league. Both of these examples, among dozens more, are 1000x worse than the Kassian incident.

This is my opinion based on the evidence available to me and doing my best to remove any Oiler bias.

Good day.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2020 15:06]

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754586 is a reply to message #754582 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:00

This may be an unpopular opinion based on what I've been seeing online today, but here's my take on the Kassian "kick".

He's down, tied up with 2 other players, one of them his own teammate who's extremely close to his leg/skate. I see Kassian struggling to get loose, and while doing so jerks his leg back, forward, then back again. The TB player doesn't react as though anything out of the ordinary has happened, they all get up and skate away. There are no words exchanged, no stare down, no reaction from other players during or after the play, nor later in the game. Once on the bench, both players move on as nothing has occurred.

The video doesn't actually prove anything, you see Kassian jerking is leg back and forth, which could easily be (and has been) interpreted by many as a kick. I see no actual evidence or intent on Kassian's part to kick the TB player. I see a struggle, that's it. I have yet to see another angle of the incident showing Kassian making contact with his skate. My opinion could change with more information.

1) The video doesn't look good on Kassian, combined with his recent suspension and reputation, it seems like a no brainer to suspend him to appease the masses crying foul.
2) If there was intent to kick, and that can be objectively proven, then whether or not he made contact is irrelevant and he should be suspended. Stupid, reckless play. 2 games + 1 more because he's Kassian.
3) If there is evidence that he intended to and made contact, I could see a significant suspension and would agree with it. That's garbage, we don't need it in the game, Oiler or any other player. 10 games.
4) Proving intent based on the 1 video circulating the internet seems impossible and therefore I would say any contact was unintentional, but can't be proven either way. No suspension.
5) Without actual video evidence proving he made contact, how is this any different than a reckless high stick, that almost makes contact? No suspension.
6) And if it did make contact, then again, how is it any different than a reckless high stick that catches another player, not resulting in any injury at all? I would argue that a high stick is more reckless and more dangerous than what happened here. No suspension.

In my opinion, taking all the evidence that I've seen into consideration, I would give Kassian a warning about being more responsible for his skates. At worst, I would give him a fine.

Nobody was injured, there was no penalty called, no scrum, not even raised tempers or stern words exchanged. The public is freaking out, so I see the NHL using this to set an example, or more specifically show that they actually do something. Meanwhile, other players are being actually injured with intent and proof of both, and not getting suspended, or even called to a hearing. Chara the other night on Gallagher, Kane on Benning earlier this season, no penalty called, no hearing, no suspension. Benning out with a concussion. Was their intent on Kanes' part? Not sure, but it was vicious, reckless, unsafe, and wasn't even looked at by the league. Both of these examples, among dozens more, are 1000x worse than the Kassian incident.

This is my opinion based on the evidence available to me and doing my best to remove any Oiler bias.

Good day.

Given the in-person hearing that was offered, Parros disagrees with you - whether your arguments are valid or not, he's getting 6+ games for this.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754591 is a reply to message #754586 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:21

Given the in-person hearing that was offered, Parros disagrees with you - whether your arguments are valid or not, he's getting 6+ games for this.

Wheel of morality turn turn turn, tell us the lesson that we should learn.

Moral number 6

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy and socially dead.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754592 is a reply to message #754591 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:28

Moral number 6

If you flipped "bed" and "rise" in that it would rhyme better...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754593 is a reply to message #754592 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:31

Moral number 6

Damn. You're right.

Full disclosure: The Wheel of Morality was an Animaniacs bit and I transcribed it wrong from youtube.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754595 is a reply to message #754593 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:33

Moral number 6

Damn. You're right.

Full disclosure: The Wheel of Morality was an Animaniacs bit and I transcribed it wrong from youtube.

So the real lesson for today is that you should just embed the video rather than bother transcribing.

That and don't kick (at?) people with your skates on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754597 is a reply to message #754595 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:36

Moral number 6

Damn. You're right.

So the real lesson for today is that you should just embed the video rather than bother transcribing.

Depends where the wheel of morality lands.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754602 is a reply to message #754597 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 16:23 Go to previous message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 16:46

Adam wrote on Fri, 14 February 2020 15:36

Moral number 6

Damn. You're right.

Depends where the wheel of morality lands.

Oh man that show was a fav. Are we around the same age?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57) [message #754596 is a reply to message #754593 ]
Fri, 14 February 2020 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kassian turning down the in person was a mistake, should have been there to plead his case and shave a couple games off.

As for the kick. I don't think he maliciously didn't with intent to injure. It was a heat of the moment instinctual "kick off" to separate. Very poor heat of the moment decision that will cost him.

That said. You NEVER lift your razor sharp skate up off the ice like that. And Kassian is just coming off a suspension for pounding in Tkachuk.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Previous Topic:Kassian Suspended 2 games
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Tampa Bay (Game #57)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca