This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #751980]
Sun, 19 January 2020 17:38 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-assign-defenceman-matt-be nning-to-ahl-for-conditioning-stint-1.1429983

"Benning, 25, last played on Dec. 1 against the Vancouver Canucks after he struck in the head with a puck. It was his second concussion in 12 days.

The Condors have four games on their schedule this upcoming week as the Oilers head into their bye week and All-Star break. "

Seems like the right move. Oilers on a break, Condors with four games this week.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #751983 is a reply to message #751980 ]
Sun, 19 January 2020 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 19 January 2020 17:38

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-assign-defenceman-matt-be nning-to-ahl-for-conditioning-stint-1.1429983

"Benning, 25, last played on Dec. 1 against the Vancouver Canucks after he struck in the head with a puck. It was his second concussion in 12 days.

The Condors have four games on their schedule this upcoming week as the Oilers head into their bye week and All-Star break. "

Seems like the right move. Oilers on a break, Condors with four games this week.

Lots of good extra ripening time for Benson while the NHL boys are relaxing.

How nice is this for Yams? Next 2 weeks of vacation and NHL cheques. Beats 4 AHL games, that's for sure :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #751985 is a reply to message #751983 ]
Mon, 20 January 2020 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

According to Cap Friendly Yamamoto's daily cap hit is $4807, while he would be making $70K a year in the minors.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/kailer-yamamoto

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #751988 is a reply to message #751985 ]
Mon, 20 January 2020 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am really glad Benning agreed to go down and play. I think the Condors have a busy schedule while the Oilers are off. Benning first got hurt Nov 19th. He missed 5 games, played under 3 mins on Dec 1, got hurt again, then has missed 20 games. So the guy has barely played in 2 months. Practicing hard can only do so much. At this time of year, the Oilers can't afford to have a guy in their line up working through knocking off the rust.

I think more players should be willing to go to the minor for a conditioning stint rather than try to work things out in the NHL.

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752033 is a reply to message #751980 ]
Mon, 20 January 2020 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Not bad young Matty Benz. Lays a huge hit in the second frame of his first game on his conditioning stint.

https://twitter.com/condors/status/1219413351370907648?s=21

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752474 is a reply to message #752033 ]
Mon, 27 January 2020 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The Oilers have recalled Benning from Bakersfield, but he remains on IR.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-matt-be nning-returns-from-assignment/

"In three games with the Condors, the 25-year-old notched one assist, two PIM and a plus-1 rating. Once given the all-clear, Benning figures to jump Caleb Jones or Kris Russell on the depth chart."

Is there a market for K Russell? Can CalebJones accomplish any more learning in the AHL?

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752482 is a reply to message #752474 ]
Mon, 27 January 2020 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 27 January 2020 19:59

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/oilers-matt-be nning-returns-from-assignment/

"In three games with the Condors, the 25-year-old notched one assist, two PIM and a plus-1 rating. Once given the all-clear, Benning figures to jump Caleb Jones or Kris Russell on the depth chart."

Is there a market for K Russell? Can CalebJones accomplish any more learning in the AHL?

Probably could do some more learning down there, mind you I don’t know if he plays top pair minutes there?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752496 is a reply to message #752482 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 27 January 2020 20:31

Probably could do some more learning down there, mind you I don’t know if he plays top pair minutes there?

Benning was just on a conditioning stint so he can only be down there for a short period of time.

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752508 is a reply to message #752496 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 January 2020 09:21

Benning was just on a conditioning stint so he can only be down there for a short period of time.

I meant Jones, in response to your ‘Can Caleb Jones accomplish any more learning in the AHL?’ question. But. Thanks for the reminder about Benning’s conditioning stint.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752511 is a reply to message #752508 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 28 January 2020 09:47

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 January 2020 09:21

I meant Jones, in response to your ‘Can Caleb Jones accomplish any more learning in the AHL?’ question. But. Thanks for the reminder about Benning’s conditioning stint.

I never asked the question. It wasn't my post.

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752517 is a reply to message #752508 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 28 January 2020 09:47

I always think a young player can learn more, no matter what league they play in. Jones hasn't dominated the AHL - so if he were demoted it wouldn't be terrible for him and I think he can learn a lot being one of the top guys there.

That said, the Oilers have been playing him on his wrong side here partnered with Russell - that almost suggests the coach trusts him more than Russell. I wouldn't mind seeing how he looked playing his strong side with Benning for a couple games.

That would mean sitting out the $4MM man, which could be create a bit of a stir, and may not be helpful if there seems to be a trade market for Russell. I'd chat with the GM before I sat out #4 but I'm sure not against doing it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752537 is a reply to message #752517 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Maybe Benning WILL play Wednesday against the Flames. From the Oilers website.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-all-news-and-videos-fro m-tuesdays-skate-at-rogers-place/c-314372892?tid=281885062

"Lines appeared to be:

Neal - McDavid - Kassian

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

Khaira - Gagner - Chiasson

P. Russell, Haas

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Bear

K. Russell - Benning

Goal:

Smith

Koskinen"

There is room on the roster for Benning to come off IR because Lagesson was sent to Bakersfield last week.

Archibald did a good job while Kassian was suspended. I hope the third and fourth lines can continue to support the top lines. I think based on performance Haas should be in the lineup instead of Khaira, but maybe a gritty kind of game will get Khaira going.

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752538 is a reply to message #752537 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Put up or shut up time for Khaira. If he can't come out and show he has a pulse in a divisional game with playoff/division standing implications after sitting for 3 weeks, it's never happening.

Personally, I think his days are numbered. When you are a bottom 6 guy, the team shouldn't have to continually scratch you for long periods of time in an attempt to get you to show them you are alive.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 January 2020 14:02]

Re: Benning to Bakersfield for Conditioning [message #752539 is a reply to message #752537 ]
Tue, 28 January 2020 14:12 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 28 January 2020 13:54

Maybe Benning WILL play Wednesday against the Flames. From the Oilers website.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-all-news-and-videos-fro m-tuesdays-skate-at-rogers-place/c-314372892?tid=281885062

"Lines appeared to be:

Neal - McDavid - Kassian

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto

Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

Khaira - Gagner - Chiasson

P. Russell, Haas

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Bear

K. Russell - Benning

Goal:

Smith

Koskinen"

There is room on the roster for Benning to come off IR because Lagesson was sent to Bakersfield last week.

Archibald did a good job while Kassian was suspended. I hope the third and fourth lines can continue to support the top lines. I think based on performance Haas should be in the lineup instead of Khaira, but maybe a gritty kind of game will get Khaira going.

Sitting Russell. You think Khaira can replace his offense?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #50)
Next Topic:McDavid Injury is a PCL
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca