This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Strome for Spooner TradePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722415 is a reply to message #722412 ]
Sat, 17 November 2018 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 17 November 2018 13:32

Pseudoreality wrote on Sat, 17 November 2018 11:49

g2k wrote on Sat, 17 November 2018 06:20

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 18:16

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 16 November 2018 17:40

Gene has to make an emergency trip to the dollar store for a big wooden spoon in prep for tomorrow nights game.

I'm triggered. If there was a way to throw Principe in on the deal, I would have been ecstatic. I know some like him and his whole deal, but I could do without the pregame schtick, the dumb puns, and the questions so soft they defy physics in their ability to remain intact from Gene's lips to whatever player's ears. If I never hear a question beginning with 'what's it like' or 'how good was it' or 'how did it feel' EVER again, color me happy. People in my house wonder why I'm in front of the game in the intermission and exclaiming "STFU Gene, you %*&^$$$@#!!!"

While I'm at it being triggered, if I never hear another comment from Kevin Quinn similar to "the Flames have the TENTH BEST power play at home when there's a full moon" and similar trivia, I'm smiling. Would end more profanity in my house.

He’s an embarrassment. I often wonder if he watches the clips of himself afterwards. Especially the side shot. It’s like he gels his hair for that wet curly look, then falls asleep on a pillow, then goes on TV.

He tries to be relevant through his puns, but the douchebaggery always outweighs the content. Every time.

I know a neighbour of his and it is my understanding he is a decent guy, but I sure wish he was more professional on the air. I think he could do it and give us a good analysis of story-line going into a game, but instead, he does a Carrot Top pun/prop bit that would make parents cringe at a junior high basketball game.

I'm going to step in here and just defend Gene a little bit. I don't mind his puns, but I do understand how that could be annoying for some people.

I've had a couple run ins with him and they've all been good, but I've also heard positive things about him from others are well.

I do think he is an absolute professional. He is always prepared, he always brings something unique. Most of all, I can see the respect that players have for him. All of the Oilers who return to Edmonton are on a first name basis with him and are quick to say hello and thank-you. He knows how to handle sensitive situations with grace (remember the Maroon interview when he broke down playing in front of his son)... there's been several instances where he has been able to gracefully guide a difficult subject of moment.

The flipside of that is, he really shouldn't have too many of those. His job as in-game host is simply to be entertaining. I've never really watch any in-game host give a high-detailed, in-depth, deep question interview mid-game. Players don't want that and teams won't grant that. It is intermission filler. It's very different than say, Remenda, who actually does have air time to make astute observations (rather than deep insight like, "both teams would like to get that go-ahead goal").

TLDR; Principe may have an annoying schtick for some, but he's absolutely professional, navigates difficult situations well, and has the respect of players.

I agree 100%. Do I love the puns and props? No, but I appreciate his effort to be a bit different. Every pregame and intermission guy in his role is, for the most part, full of "how did it feel" and other softball type questions. At least Gene brings a bit of fun to it and some personality.

In a hockey universe of annoying media (for a bunch of different reasons) I like Gene for the fresh air he can bring. He doesnt pretend to be a know-it-all, insider, or tough guy.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722419 is a reply to message #722412 ]
Sat, 17 November 2018 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 17 November 2018 12:32

Gene has to make an emergency trip to the dollar store for a big wooden spoon in prep for tomorrow nights game.

I'm triggered. If there was a way to throw Principe in on the deal, I would have been ecstatic. I know some like him and his whole deal, but I could do without the pregame schtick, the dumb puns, and the questions so soft they defy physics in their ability to remain intact from Gene's lips to whatever player's ears. If I never hear a question beginning with 'what's it like' or 'how good was it' or 'how did it feel' EVER again, color me happy. People in my house wonder why I'm in front of the game in the intermission and exclaiming "STFU Gene, you %*&^$$$@#!!!"

While I'm at it being triggered, if I never hear another comment from Kevin Quinn similar to "the Flames have the TENTH BEST power play at home when there's a full moon" and similar trivia, I'm smiling. Would end more profanity in my house.

He’s an embarrassment. I often wonder if he watches the clips of himself afterwards. Especially the side shot. It’s like he gels his hair for that wet curly look, then falls asleep on a pillow, then goes on TV.

He tries to be relevant through his puns, but the douchebaggery always outweighs the content. Every time.

I know a neighbour of his and it is my understanding he is a decent guy, but I sure wish he was more professional on the air. I think he could do it and give us a good analysis of story-line going into a game, but instead, he does a Carrot Top pun/prop bit that would make parents cringe at a junior high basketball game.

I'm going to step in here and just defend Gene a little bit. I don't mind his puns, but I do understand how that could be annoying for some people.

I've had a couple run ins with him and they've all been good, but I've also heard positive things about him from others are well.

I do think he is an absolute professional. He is always prepared, he always brings something unique. Most of all, I can see the respect that players have for him. All of the Oilers who return to Edmonton are on a first name basis with him and are quick to say hello and thank-you. He knows how to handle sensitive situations with grace (remember the Maroon interview when he broke down playing in front of his son)... there's been several instances where he has been able to gracefully guide a difficult subject of moment.

The flipside of that is, he really shouldn't have too many of those. His job as in-game host is simply to be entertaining. I've never really watch any in-game host give a high-detailed, in-depth, deep question interview mid-game. Players don't want that and teams won't grant that. It is intermission filler. It's very different than say, Remenda, who actually does have air time to make astute observations (rather than deep insight like, "both teams would like to get that go-ahead goal").

TLDR; Principe may have an annoying schtick for some, but he's absolutely professional, navigates difficult situations well, and has the respect of players.

Some like him, some don't... he's a part of the presentation like Quinn and Remenda are. It's old, in my opinion.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722418 is a reply to message #722409 ]
Sat, 17 November 2018 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I'm sure he's an awesome human being. SN just needs a change in the host.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722423 is a reply to message #722418 ]
Sat, 17 November 2018 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 17 November 2018 14:03

I'm sure he's an awesome human being. SN just needs a change in the host.

He interviewed me at the McDavid draft in Florida. I was wearing a McDavid jersey and he called me up to talk about our newest superstar. He had some schitck where I pretended to be #97. It was going alright until he asked me about the changes to our team and I started on a MacT/Lowe rant.

Afterwards he chuckled about how that wasn’t like to air, but he came across as a great guy and thanked me.

I should of thanked him more. When I got back to my seats I was kinda a big deal in Florida.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722389 is a reply to message #722354 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Had missed a game for an LBI then was healthy scratched last night, but recently played on NYRs 4th line with Cody McLeod and Filip Chytil.

Deck chairs, my friends. Deck chairs.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722390 is a reply to message #722354 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

It was time to move Strome. He was not a good fit at all. A fourth line player at best.

I hope the new Ryan brings something, anything to the team.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722393 is a reply to message #722354 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

I wonder how much of this trade was PC wanting to get out from under Strome's RFA status. He's slightly overpaid at 3.1MM, so any bump to that would be a tough pill to swallow given his production and history. Spooner vs Strome is probably a wash, all things considered, but he goes UFA in 2020-21 so the Oilers can flip him at the deadline (playoffs... bahaha!) or let him walk.

Also curious if we can infer that TMac has support from the Org still. If the shiny new toy from last year is having a bad season, and gets traded instead of the coach getting fired... sure makes you wonder, especially considering some of the anti-TMac grumbling that have been floating around.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722394 is a reply to message #722354 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

This is the most "meh" of trades. It really does feel like the shuffling of deck chairs

Both are similar age, similar position, the salary exchanged is similar, both have similar numbers this year, both are struggling. Strome was a right hand shot, and the Oilers have very few of those in their Top-9 (only Chiasson and Rattie). Strome was better defensively, probably has less offensive upside, the PK took a hit, but the PP may have gotten a boost.

What this really feels like to me? Trying to get Milan Lucic going. Which is a whole different discussion, but they just went out and got a centre Lucic has had success with in the past. I would have to imagine Spooner will be the 3C, because who else are the Oilers going to play there?

In any case, I don't think the Oilers are likely to get much worse out of this trade, but I don't know if they'll get much better either. I can't really remember a memorable moment from Strome's time here, so I won't miss him, but time will tell how memorable Spooner will be here.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722396 is a reply to message #722354 ]
Fri, 16 November 2018 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WizardofOil  is currently offline WizardofOil

No Cups

I think this move is also made possible because they think that right shot center Marody can do the job Strome is doing with more potential. Spooner was on the outs with his coach for not commiting fully to defence on a consistent basis. Let's hope he's not a liability on the ice. Worth the gamble if he is fast and can find open ice with our top six. I am optimistic about Marody playing solid in that role, but don't see Spooner renewing a contract here. Hope they both step up and grab the opportunity.

"I'm one of those guys that if you don't want to play here, don't screw around, get the hell out." - Pat Quinn

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #722398 is a reply to message #722396 ]
Sat, 17 November 2018 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I like the trade. Don't know a tonne about Spooner, but Strome was so snakebit here it was insane to watch. He did have an awesome wrist shot I wish he'd use more. This team is so full of holes, that guys like Strome get exposed way to often, just like Eberle did. (too soft, playoffs...so on). Need to make a few more moves yet....Like on D.
Glad Koskinen is getting the nod against the F-Lames.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752273 is a reply to message #722354 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daftmonk  is currently offline Daftmonk

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-f-ryan-strome-on-trade-d eadline-i-really-hope-i-stay-1.1432240

The trade still stings, especially with how well he fit in the locker room. Perfect 3rd line center with spot duty on top 6.

"The second one was definitely harder. When I got traded from the Islanders, it was in the summer, which is a little bit easier," Strome explained. "I was excited for a new start, but when I got traded from Edmonton, I was really disappointed. I felt like I was a big part of their locker room there and unfortunately just didn’t have a great start to the season.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752275 is a reply to message #752273 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Daftmonk wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 09:51

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-f-ryan-strome-on-trade-d eadline-i-really-hope-i-stay-1.1432240

The trade still stings, especially with how well he fit in the locker room. Perfect 3rd line center with spot duty on top 6.

"The second one was definitely harder. When I got traded from the Islanders, it was in the summer, which is a little bit easier," Strome explained. "I was excited for a new start, but when I got traded from Edmonton, I was really disappointed. I felt like I was a big part of their locker room there and unfortunately just didn’t have a great start to the season.

I went back to look at how much time Strome played with McDavid. 58 out of 1182 5v5 minutes. likely all shift overlap during partial line changes.

If I recall correctly, he scored a goal in the only couple periods McLellan ever played him with McDavid, in his first pre-season with us. The media kept asking McLellan if Strome would end up replacing Eberle on McDavid's wing, and that was that, he never got to play there again.

The narrative turned to stuff like Strome having to earn McLellan's trust. And how he was a good babysitting for Pulju. Turns out Strome could hvae been extremely useful to try to get Drai on the 2nd line and off McDavid's wing. McLellan was asked about that a lot too in that 2017 training camp, especially after Drai just got 8.5M largely because of his performance at 2C in the playoffs. That too was a banished idea for a long time, Drai was on McDavid's wing to start the season.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752277 is a reply to message #752275 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 08:55

I went back to look at how much time Strome played with McDavid. 58 out of 1182 5v5 minutes. likely all shift overlap during partial line changes.

If I recall correctly, he scored a goal in the only couple periods McLellan ever played him with McDavid, in his first pre-season with us. The media kept asking McLellan if Strome would end up replacing Eberle on McDavid's wing, and that was that, he never got to play there again.

The narrative turned to stuff like Strome having to earn McLellan's trust. And how he was a good babysitting for Pulju. Turns out Strome could hvae been extremely useful to try to get Drai on the 2nd line and off McDavid's wing. McLellan was asked about that a lot too in that 2017 training camp, especially after Drai just got 8.5M largely because of his performance at 2C in the playoffs. That too was a banished idea for a long time, Drai was on McDavid's wing to start the season.

So would it be worth going after Strome as a rental for the rest of this year?

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752279 is a reply to message #752277 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 10:25

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 08:55

So would it be worth going after Strome as a rental for the rest of this year?

Is Strome not the same problem as Pageau? A 3rd line center who's blowing the doors off on this season? Everyone raves about Pageau who has 31 pts, Strome has 43. On pace to blow his career high 50 pts out of the water. The cost to get him will be a lot, then his contract expectations will probably be ridiculous based on this 1 season.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752284 is a reply to message #752275 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 09:55

It's interesting how little tarnished McLellan was by his time here. As bad as Chiarelli was and the issues that that created, McLellan never seemed to elevate anyone. His approach to player motivation was awful (mean dad/happy dad) and he was incredibly stubborn, even when things weren't working at all (Lucic w/ McDavid for months, the PP, the PK). I wonder if flopping in Los Angeles will tarnish him more, or if he'll just complain that he was handed an aged team in decline...

Notice that Kovalchuk is a point per game player 8 games in to his Montreal Canadiens career? Scored a couple important goals too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752288 is a reply to message #752284 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

A third line of Cagguila-Strome-Puljujaarvi would look pretty good right about now

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752291 is a reply to message #752288 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 12:25

A third line of Cagguila-Strome-Puljujaarvi would look pretty good right about now

Take out Puljujarvi and replace him with an NHLer and you'd have the makings of a good line.

Re: Strome for Spooner Trade [message #752299 is a reply to message #752284 ]
Fri, 24 January 2020 14:18 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 11:53

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 January 2020 09:55

It's interesting how little tarnished McLellan was by his time here. As bad as Chiarelli was and the issues that that created, McLellan never seemed to elevate anyone. His approach to player motivation was awful (mean dad/happy dad) and he was incredibly stubborn, even when things weren't working at all (Lucic w/ McDavid for months, the PP, the PK). I wonder if flopping in Los Angeles will tarnish him more, or if he'll just complain that he was handed an aged team in decline...

Notice that Kovalchuk is a point per game player 8 games in to his Montreal Canadiens career? Scored a couple important goals too...

26th place PP, forces the best shot he has out of the org.

30th place PK.

At least McLellan is consistent, I'll give him that.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:McDavid Injury is a PCL
Next Topic:Pregame: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca