F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750377]
Sun, 29 December 2019 20:05 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Yamo and Lagesson called up.. Manning & Granlund clear ...
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-recall-lagess on--yamamoto-manning-granlund-clear/c-313187408

Unfortunately I think Yamamoto is going to get caved... he's a year + away...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750379 is a reply to message #750377 ]
Sun, 29 December 2019 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 29 December 2019 21:05

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-recall-lagess on--yamamoto-manning-granlund-clear/c-313187408

I agree and disagree.

Agree that he’s going to get caved (he’s no Colby)

Disagree that he’s a year + away... well, actually I think we may agree because that + is always going to be there when talking about his NHL readiness in my opinion. I don’t believe he’ll hit Linus Omari’s NHL point totals in his NHL career.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750388 is a reply to message #750379 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 29 December 2019 21:14

I agree and disagree.

Disagree that he’s a year + away... well, actually I think we may agree because that + is always going to be there when talking about his NHL readiness in my opinion. I don’t believe he’ll hit Linus Omari’s NHL point totals in his NHL career.

While I dont have high hopes that Yamamoto will be an effective NHL player it is time to find out. I am not saying this is do or die for him but he needs to look better than last time he was up. He needs to show progression and better awareness in the pro game.
The team needs to find out what they have and get a better idea of what he will be. Without that they cant effectively plan for the future.
Also, at this point can it be any worse than what they have had?

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750389 is a reply to message #750388 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 07:32

I agree and disagree.

While I dont have high hopes that Yamamoto will be an effective NHL player it is time to find out. I am not saying this is do or die for him but he needs to look better than last time he was up. He needs to show progression and better awareness in the pro game.
The team needs to find out what they have and get a better idea of what he will be. Without that they cant effectively plan for the future.

He likely has another couple opportunities left. Yamamoto had a lot of quality scoring attempts IIRC when he made the team out of camp, but couldn’t convert. He’s going to need to be stronger out there and show some confidence with and without the puck if he’s going to survive.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750390 is a reply to message #750389 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 09:18

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 07:32

I agree and disagree.

He likely has another couple opportunities left. Yamamoto had a lot of quality scoring attempts IIRC when he made the team out of camp, but couldn’t convert. He’s going to need to be stronger out there and show some confidence with and without the puck if he’s going to survive.

Agreed on all of that.
I figure at this point the team needs to pull up one or two guys at a time and give them a chance. The reality is that this team isnt very good but are still in a playoff race. Any call up that has a chance to make them better should be given a shot.
Best case scenario they become better as a result, worst case they get a look at what they have in the pipe and a view of how some are developing.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750385 is a reply to message #750377 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 29 December 2019 20:05

Guess Yams had a great game after the word got out that over-ripening was going to be put on a temporary hold. Will be curious to see if he can do a think in the NHL right now.

Lagesson, 0 NHL games under his belt so far. Wonder if he will get to play one this time.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750386 is a reply to message #750385 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 00:30

Guess Yams had a great game after the word got out that over-ripening was going to be put on a temporary hold. Will be curious to see if he can do a think in the NHL right now.

Lagesson, 0 NHL games under his belt so far. Wonder if he will get to play one this time.

Probably wouldn't hurt to let Jones watch one or two. He's struggled a bit lately, although to be fair to him, he's paired with Russell - Russell on his off-side at that. Lagesson would have that same handicap...

Yamamoto can skate at an NHL level, the question is just whether he can produce. He's seemed to get hurt more at the AHL level - I don't think any of his injuries came in the Show. I don't have a lot of hope that Yamamoto is ever going to be a big points producer as a NHLer, but let's face it - you don't have to be Ovechkin to be better than most of the scrub wingers we've been icing all season here.

It will be interesting to see how he slots in. I'm still not clear why Gagner is so often a healthy scratch so that Archibald and Russell and Granlund and Nygard can all get in...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750387 is a reply to message #750386 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 29 December 2019 23:48

Probably wouldn't hurt to let Jones watch one or two. He's struggled a bit lately, although to be fair to him, he's paired with Russell - Russell on his off-side at that. Lagesson would have that same handicap...

Yamamoto can skate at an NHL level, the question is just whether he can produce. He's seemed to get hurt more at the AHL level - I don't think any of his injuries came in the Show. I don't have a lot of hope that Yamamoto is ever going to be a big points producer as a NHLer, but let's face it - you don't have to be Ovechkin to be better than most of the scrub wingers we've been icing all season here.

It will be interesting to see how he slots in. I'm still not clear why Gagner is so often a healthy scratch so that Archibald and Russell and Granlund and Nygard can all get in...

The bottom 6 on this team could all be replaced with AHL regulars and we wouldn't know the difference...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750391 is a reply to message #750387 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 00:58

The bottom 6 on this team could all be replaced with AHL regulars and we wouldn't know the difference...

Exactly this^. Probably should try some of the farm out in place of guys that look to not be coming back or look like permanent bubble players. What's there now isn't working anyway.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750418 is a reply to message #750391 ]
Mon, 30 December 2019 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

cosmicheretic wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 07:57

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 30 December 2019 00:58

Exactly this^. Probably should try some of the farm out in place of guys that look to not be coming back or look like permanent bubble players. What's there now isn't working anyway.

Agree, worth a few rotations of Condors, puts some fear into the current bottom 6, and uplifts the hopes of everyone on the Condor squad.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750425 is a reply to message #750377 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Wonder if they are showcasing Yamamoto?

Benson would be the callup on merit I would think.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750426 is a reply to message #750425 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 31 December 2019 08:59

I would wager it's more for Holland and Tipps to form their own opinion on Yams to see what they actually have in the player.

I'm sure Benson will be up once the season is officially lost, I mean when the Oilers hit the inevitable slide, I mean during the doldrums of January, I mean.. to help with the playoff push.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750427 is a reply to message #750425 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Do teams still do that? Given modern methods of scouting and video analysis I would think the days of showcasing are mostly over.

I follow a couple of Condors people on twitter and both seem to think Yamomoto has played well and progressed nicely this season. Even a couple of mentions of his physical game in spite of his size.

Maybe it is simply a case of the Oilers knowing that 75% of the team isnt good enough to produce in their assigned role so it is time to try the next man up.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750435 is a reply to message #750427 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 31 December 2019 08:42

Do teams still do that? Given modern methods of scouting and video analysis I would think the days of showcasing are mostly over.

I follow a couple of Condors people on twitter and both seem to think Yamomoto has played well and progressed nicely this season. Even a couple of mentions of his physical game in spite of his size.

Maybe it is simply a case of the Oilers knowing that 75% of the team isnt good enough to produce in their assigned role so it is time to try the next man up.

Oilers are better off not showcasing players. Unless they put them with McD

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750440 is a reply to message #750427 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

I would agree that "showcasing" is a thing of the past. Advanced stats and videos from every angle would make a better way of evaluating players. I'm hoping Yamamoto will thrive in Edmonton, but bringing him into such a toxic environment at this time stacks the deck against him.

I wonder if the Oilers are trying to get Yamamoto into enough games so that he is an option for the Seattle expansion team. He's a Washington state guy, and might be a good fit for the expansion team. I can't remember where I read the stories before the season started, but the writers suggested Khaira or Bear (the former Seattle Thunderbird) would be good choices for Seattle. Well, as far as Bear is concerned, fuggedaboutit. Kharia? Not sure. If he can't show more than flashes of competence at the NHL level more than 5-6 times a year, then having him and/or Yamamoto available for the expansion draft might make sense.

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750441 is a reply to message #750427 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

With a little dude like Yams, I think it would be hard to project what he can do in the NHL from his AHL/Jr time. And if we go based off his last NHL time, his value can't be that good. Little dudes have got to prove they can survive in the NHL. No idea what to expect from Yams right now, and I'm sure it's the same for most everyone else, our management/coaching included.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750443 is a reply to message #750441 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Yamamoto is at less than a PPG in the A, which does not bode well for him... maybe a decent third liner.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750448 is a reply to message #750443 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

I would just like to see 97/29 not being -4or-5 after the dust settles at the end of this one.

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #750449 is a reply to message #750448 ]
Tue, 31 December 2019 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

watchman wrote on Tue, 31 December 2019 17:59

I would just like to see 97/29 not being -4or-5 after the dust settles at the end of this one.

If they can avoid being on the ice at the same time as Ryan Strome, they may have a chance. Strome 5 point game incoming, because Oilers.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #751893 is a reply to message #750377 ]
Sat, 18 January 2020 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Yams value is probably pretty darn good heading into this deadline!

I think I wanna keep him though :)

I hope the way Yams is playing is a sign of what is happening in the A. May not have blown the doors off scoring-wise in the AHL, but maybe it means they really are focusing on habits and other things to prepare for the NHL jump.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 January 2020 14:08]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #751976 is a reply to message #751893 ]
Sun, 19 January 2020 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined Yams positive effect on this team. It is nothing short of miraculous, IMHO.

In my defense it might NOT even BE Yamamoto in that uniform: he looks so different from his last call-up. He is aggressive on the forecheck; actually winning battles in the corners and behind the net. It is great to see and just what this team needed. Two actual offensive threatening lines now exist because of the Yamo effect.

IMHO this team can now compete with anyone in the West now... Hopefully the team comes back after this break just as hungry as they have been the last 5-7 games. icon_nod

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Oilers Call Up Yamamoto and Legesson from Condors [message #751982 is a reply to message #751976 ]
Sun, 19 January 2020 21:46 Go to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

watchman wrote on Sun, 19 January 2020 15:57

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined Yams positive effect on this team. It is nothing short of miraculous, IMHO.

In my defense it might NOT even BE Yamamoto in that uniform: he looks so different from his last call-up. He is aggressive on the forecheck; actually winning battles in the corners and behind the net. It is great to see and just what this team needed. Two actual offensive threatening lines now exist because of the Yamo effect.

IMHO this team can now compete with anyone in the West now... Hopefully the team comes back after this break just as hungry as they have been the last 5-7 games. icon_nod

Now imagine a Benson / Haas / Gagner third, and a Chiasson/ Sheahan / Archibald fourth.

You could upgrade, 3C and probably add a Top-6 winger to bump down Kassian... But it's starting to resemble something.

Yamamoto has been real good. That line has been real good. Yamamoto is an absolute beast on the forecheck; he is relentless and it drives opposition nuts, which I love a whole lot.

Previous Topic:Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Next Topic:GDT: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca