This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751436 is a reply to message #751431 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 14:54

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 14:50

I watched the sequence during the Canucks game on sportsnet today. I think the argument in defense is the Flames' player made no attempt at the puck. It was a dangerous charging or boarding infraction that the referees missed. The player turned his body 180 degrees prior to impact attempting to become a wrecking ball. The Oilers should ask for an attempt to injure review.

Those are hits we celebrate when Kassian makes them, especially when he was running around like a wild man in the 2017 playoffs. Frankly, I'm shocked that Kassian kept leaving himself open like that. I guess he's on a top line and needs to score, but it's still weird how he wasn't out looking for those hits himself just after taking the 1st one. Hope he gets a chance to on the 29th.

If the league is serious about reducing concussions they should be taking a look at those Tachuck blind side hits on Kassian where his head snap like a whip. Those types of hits cause more concussions than any fight ever will. You don't have to hit you're head for brain damage to occur. I thought the first one especially was worthy of a suspension for intent to injure. Luckily he wasn't hurt but once again he took the bait that resulted in another loss to the friggin flames.( just like the one last season or whenever it was ) You'd think Kassian would have learned his lesson the first time around. I hate that Tachuck is so good at baiting other teams players into taking penalties and getting away with it but there was a lot on the line in the game that got flushed because of Kassian's lack of discipline and smarts. It was a tie game at the time. The right way to go about it would be to bide you're time and even the score when an opportunity presents itself that doesn't hurt the team.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751437 is a reply to message #751436 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

overdue wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 15:33

If the league is serious about reducing concussions

Let me stop you right there. They're not.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751440 is a reply to message #751437 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 15:39

overdue wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 15:33

If the league is serious about reducing concussions

Let me stop you right there. They're not.

Exactly. Its all Bettman/Parros theatre, just words, and pseudo rules they can point to when they're in court making legal arguments why they aren't liable for concussions. They can choose to apply the the pseudo rules whenever it suits them, like on someone deemed a "fourth liner" player, or the leagues most northern team, which also isn't a coveted prime-time NHL market.

I also don't think NHL Corp. like seeing Tukchuk, the other teams top player being pummeled like a pussy, the league is saying if you're a top scorer you can get away with intent to injure without being worried about repercussions... Tukchuk, Marchand

[Updated on: Sun, 12 January 2020 16:55]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751450 is a reply to message #751431 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne is currently online PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 15:54

Those are hits we celebrate when Kassian makes them, especially when he was running around like a wild man in the 2017 playoffs. .

I agree with you to a point. the difference is that is Kassian goes too far he stands up for himself.

The other difference here is where the hit was made. The only reason for Tkatchuk to come down from his spot and hit an Oiler coming from behind the net is to try and injure.

I feel like anyone who hated what Kassian did has spent very little time on the ice. If you look at the times Tkachuk hit Kassian he was out of position every time.
As a tactic to get in Kassian's head I have no problem with it. The flip side is also having no problem with Kassian's reaction.

If Tkatchuk is going to leave his position numerous times to take a run at someone I expect a reaction. I am a winger. In my younger years I had a few feuds with other wingers. Outside of crossing paths in the neutral zone there isnt a lot of opportunities during the game to go head to head. If someone chased me around this way I would have started the lawnmower on his face as well.

Maybe I am just getting old and stuck in the old traditions of hockey but I see little wrong with what either guy did.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751451 is a reply to message #751450 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 20:40

Those are hits we celebrate when Kassian makes them, especially when he was running around like a wild man in the 2017 playoffs. .

I agree with you to a point. the difference is that is Kassian goes too far he stands up for himself.

The other difference here is where the hit was made. The only reason for Tkatchuk to come down from his spot and hit an Oiler coming from behind the net is to try and injure.

I feel like anyone who hated what Kassian did has spent very little time on the ice. If you look at the times Tkachuk hit Kassian he was out of position every time.
As a tactic to get in Kassian's head I have no problem with it. The flip side is also having no problem with Kassian's reaction.

If Tkatchuk is going to leave his position numerous times to take a run at someone I expect a reaction. I am a winger. In my younger years I had a few feuds with other wingers. Outside of crossing paths in the neutral zone there isnt a lot of opportunities during the game to go head to head. If someone chased me around this way I would have started the lawnmower on his face as well.

Maybe I am just getting old and stuck in the old traditions of hockey but I see little wrong with what either guy did.

Do you not have to account for the state of the league and the impact on the game though? I wouldn't mind what Kassian did, if it didn't mean 4 mins (could have been 5 IMO) and a likely suspension. THere was certainly a time in the NHL when cheap little rats would get tuned for doing anything close to what Tkachuk was. Unfortunately, these days, you're really gonna screw your team over if you look for the immediate revenge, especially against a little douche that you know will just turtle and leave you swinging risking a solo 5 min major. And there is really no long term benefit to doing that either, because Tkachuk is laughing and he will happily try to do it again next game.

I hope Kassian gets the chance to throw his own sneaky hits next game. Maybe go for Gaudreau instead.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751457 is a reply to message #751451 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne is currently online PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 22:05

Do you not have to account for the state of the league and the impact on the game though? I wouldn't mind what Kassian did, if it didn't mean 4 mins (could have been 5 IMO) and a likely suspension. THere was certainly a time in the NHL when cheap little rats would get tuned for doing anything close to what Tkachuk was. Unfortunately, these days, you're really gonna screw your team over if you look for the immediate revenge, especially against a little douche that you know will just turtle and leave you swinging risking a solo 5 min major. And there is really no long term benefit to doing that either, because Tkachuk is laughing and he will happily try to do it again next game.

I hope Kassian gets the chance to throw his own sneaky hits next game. Maybe go for Gaudreau instead.

I see what you are saying about the current state of the league but what stops Tkachuk? Fighting is bad for the brain, I think we all can agree on that. There is also a very good chance that guys like Tkachuk causes more brain injuries than fighting these days.
Fighting is the easy one given hockey is the only sport where it is an acceptable part of the game. Until that isnt the case it will be used as a deterrent or retribution when pests go to far.

There is good chance the Oilers are playing against Tkachuk for the next decade or so. Last night he targeted Kassian but it's not like he is an angel when he doesnt have a direct rival.
From time to time an Oiler is going to have to step in and tune him up a little bit. Without that he will get worse and worse.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751473 is a reply to message #751457 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Georges Laraque on Kassian/Tkachuk.

https://twitter.com/GeorgesLaraque?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7C twcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

"once hit @Bob_Stauffer with a hard body check in a skate cause he had chirped me in the past... Total yard sale. He got up, stuck me and challenged me to a fight.
He was in his 40’s and fat.
But he would’ve fought me...lol
Tkachuk? Didn’t honor the code,even Byron did last year."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751475 is a reply to message #751457 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 22:46

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 22:05

I see what you are saying about the current state of the league but what stops Tkachuk? Fighting is bad for the brain, I think we all can agree on that. There is also a very good chance that guys like Tkachuk causes more brain injuries than fighting these days.
Fighting is the easy one given hockey is the only sport where it is an acceptable part of the game. Until that isnt the case it will be used as a deterrent or retribution when pests go to far.

There is good chance the Oilers are playing against Tkachuk for the next decade or so. Last night he targeted Kassian but it's not like he is an angel when he doesnt have a direct rival.
From time to time an Oiler is going to have to step in and tune him up a little bit. Without that he will get worse and worse.

I'm honestly not sure what stops Tkachuk now. Other than just injuring him hehe. If he's gonna play cheap, and has now shame and will turtle any time someone tries to make him pay, what is left to do? Beating his team and chirping him is probably the most obvious thing to do. Catch him with some big hits that he doesn't expect and get him worrying is another way.

I think Tkachuk has had some fights. Usually comes when he's the one feeling embarrassed and thinks the other guy needs to answer the bell. Kassian needs to do to Tkachuk what Tkachuk did to him.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751478 is a reply to message #751475 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Parros is so maddeningly inconsistent. These are suspensions in his books:

And yet Tkachuk gets away for his own hit - that clearly was more premeditated than either the Cogliano or McDavid hits. Apparently if Kassian had just passed a second earlier then it would have been a suspendable offence.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751515 is a reply to message #751478 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Parros is the worst player safety clown they've had yet, king of the bozos.
He applies the existing rules and precedents to suit the particular NHL Corp bias that's required, and if there isn't a rule or precenet, he makes them up.

George Parros is a guy that could barely play the game, 18 goals in 9 years warming the bench, became a media favourite.. through his wife.. "Hockey Wives".., played hockey at Princeton, so of course NHL Corp. just loves the image, American, "re-formed" enforcer, who was somehow in University long enough to get a degree.. like a hitman that they turned into a policeman, the cliche "finding redemption" story-line, media eat that crap up like Hawkins Cheezies... too bad the guy is an absolute idiot when it comes to the job he's entrusted to do.
It would be interesting to see if the USA guys get the same length of suspensions as Canadians.

Something stinks up in NHL Corp., starting with Parros, no way Turtlechuk shouldn't have been suspended for those hits on Kassian.
Primary point of impact was clearly Kassians head, you know that's true because Turtle goes screaming right by Kassians shoulder, shoulder absorbed zero energy of the hit. Kassians lucky he isn't in a neck brace.

NHL Corp. is as stupid as it comes, by suspending Kassian and letting Turtle off without even a warning, they've just stated that the only way you can police the game as a player now is to take a number, and go head hunting yourself..

Time to replace Parros, George Laraque! George for a George!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751542 is a reply to message #751515 ]
Tue, 14 January 2020 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 13 January 2020 21:53

He applies the existing rules and precedents to suit the particular NHL Corp bias that's required, and if there isn't a rule or precenet, he makes them up.

George Parros is a guy that could barely play the game, 18 goals in 9 years warming the bench, became a media favourite.. through his wife.. "Hockey Wives".., played hockey at Princeton, so of course NHL Corp. just loves the image, American, "re-formed" enforcer, who was somehow in University long enough to get a degree.. like a hitman that they turned into a policeman, the cliche "finding redemption" story-line, media eat that crap up like Hawkins Cheezies... too bad the guy is an absolute idiot when it comes to the job he's entrusted to do.
It would be interesting to see if the USA guys get the same length of suspensions as Canadians.

Something stinks up in NHL Corp., starting with Parros, no way Turtlechuk shouldn't have been suspended for those hits on Kassian.
Primary point of impact was clearly Kassians head, you know that's true because Turtle goes screaming right by Kassians shoulder, shoulder absorbed zero energy of the hit. Kassians lucky he isn't in a neck brace.

NHL Corp. is as stupid as it comes, by suspending Kassian and letting Turtle off without even a warning, they've just stated that the only way you can police the game as a player now is to take a number, and go head hunting yourself..

I thought it was pretty much guaranteed that Chris Pronger gets the role when Parros quits?

Parros is terrible. You see him going out of his way to suspend star players so it doesn't look like the NHL favours its stars - which is ridiculous because it probably should favour the ones who make the league all the money.

All his big decisions have been suspending superstar players for reaction plays, and he's regularly ignoring things like Tkachuk where there's clear malice. Oh yeah, and he also ended Cogliano's ironman streak with a pretty iffy suspension. If only Cogs had just slewfooted the guy it would have been fine.

I think that the player safety department has gone a little bonkers. Some of these infractions can be dealt with in-game by the referees. If a guy got a major penalty and tossed from a game, does that automatically mean there should be additional games added to the punishment, especially in a case where the victim isn't injured? Sometimes maybe, but we've moved to where almost every major is getting reviewed and rarely a week goes by without someone getting suspended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_NHL_suspension s_and_fines

Excluding Voynov, Kuznetsov and Zykov, there's already been 12 suspensions in the NHL this year. I remember a stretch of 4 or 5 seasons where the Oilers didn't have anyone suspended. I can't find a list of historical suspensions, but I don't imagine the Oilers were playing pristine hockey during that period - just it wasn't as prevalent to suspend every incident. Chris Simon and Chris Pronger are going to look much better when all is said and done because there will be a lot more people suspended as often as they are - just for much less serious incidents.

One of the issues is that when every hit gets a suspension, how would Parros deal with a Pronger-style stomping attack now? If McDavid's little hit was 2 games last year, that kind of assault should be 30.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751573 is a reply to message #751542 ]
Tue, 14 January 2020 14:00 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 January 2020 08:44

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 13 January 2020 21:53

I thought it was pretty much guaranteed that Chris Pronger gets the role when Parros quits?

Parros is terrible. You see him going out of his way to suspend star players so it doesn't look like the NHL favours its stars - which is ridiculous because it probably should favour the ones who make the league all the money.

All his big decisions have been suspending superstar players for reaction plays, and he's regularly ignoring things like Tkachuk where there's clear malice. Oh yeah, and he also ended Cogliano's ironman streak with a pretty iffy suspension. If only Cogs had just slewfooted the guy it would have been fine.

I think that the player safety department has gone a little bonkers. Some of these infractions can be dealt with in-game by the referees. If a guy got a major penalty and tossed from a game, does that automatically mean there should be additional games added to the punishment, especially in a case where the victim isn't injured? Sometimes maybe, but we've moved to where almost every major is getting reviewed and rarely a week goes by without someone getting suspended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_NHL_suspension s_and_fines

Excluding Voynov, Kuznetsov and Zykov, there's already been 12 suspensions in the NHL this year. I remember a stretch of 4 or 5 seasons where the Oilers didn't have anyone suspended. I can't find a list of historical suspensions, but I don't imagine the Oilers were playing pristine hockey during that period - just it wasn't as prevalent to suspend every incident. Chris Simon and Chris Pronger are going to look much better when all is said and done because there will be a lot more people suspended as often as they are - just for much less serious incidents.

One of the issues is that when every hit gets a suspension, how would Parros deal with a Pronger-style stomping attack now? If McDavid's little hit was 2 games last year, that kind of assault should be 30.

Better yet, Pronger steps in when Parros is fired. That clown picks and chooses the interpretation of the rules, and who he applies them to. The entire "process" has been turned into farce. And the video NHL Corp produces afterwards is even more bizarre, the script writers should get recognized by the Academy for best fictional short film.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751452 is a reply to message #751450 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 19:40

The other difference.. the main one.. is that if Kassian made those hits he's suspended.. no questions asked ... and we get a NHL Corp robot telling us step by step why on a NHL Productions propaganda video.

Here's what Scotty Upshal has to say..
https://twitter.com/ScottieUpshall
Quote:

Scottie Upshall @ScottieUpshall 9h9 hours ago
Kassian payed the price already. His team lost a big game on his instigator penalty. Smoked 3 times by M.T and he took it like a MAN. By the 3rd hit, he had enough and let the kid know it’s still a MANS game. (Or is it?) Sometimes a punch in the face (or 5) is what a guy needs

Quote:

For those u haven’t played the game.... coming down from your WING (as a winger) to hit a vulnerable guy on a wraparound is as DIRTY as it gets. Such as BELOW. I know because I’ve done it, lots. I deserved a punch in the face too. If this hit was on McDavid, 10 GAMER MIN!

Quote:

From this angle, it’s clear as day MT has ABSOLUTELY ZERO intention of making a hockey play. Again, for those of u who haven’t played at any level, other than Xbox, our new NHL states u must acknowledge there’s a puck on the ice at some point (I had no idea most nights either!)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751455 is a reply to message #751452 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 21:11

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 19:40

The other difference.. the main one.. is that if Kassian made those hits he's suspended.. no questions asked ... and we get a NHL Corp robot telling us step by step why on a NHL Productions propaganda video.

Here's what Scotty Upshal has to say..
https://twitter.com/ScottieUpshall
Quote:

Kassian payed the price already. His team lost a big game on his instigator penalty. Smoked 3 times by M.T and he took it like a MAN. By the 3rd hit, he had enough and let the kid know it’s still a MANS game. (Or is it?) Sometimes a punch in the face (or 5) is what a guy needs

Quote:

For those u haven’t played the game.... coming down from your WING (as a winger) to hit a vulnerable guy on a wraparound is as DIRTY as it gets. Such as BELOW. I know because I’ve done it, lots. I deserved a punch in the face too. If this hit was on McDavid, 10 GAMER MIN!

Quote:

From this angle, it’s clear as day MT has ABSOLUTELY ZERO intention of making a hockey play. Again, for those of u who haven’t played at any level, other than Xbox, our new NHL states u must acknowledge there’s a puck on the ice at some point (I had no idea most nights either!)

There is no doubt Tkachuk is universally hated (outside of the flames room and flames fans). Doesn't surprise me to see old school players piling on him, like when he was disrespecting Doughty.
Hopefully it does catch up to him in a bad way one day.

Tkachuk was close to a suspension with that first hit on Kassian. He missed clipping his head probably by a couple inches. He's lucky he got the shoulder first to send Kassian spinning and the head after. Kassian is lucky too...if that got him in the head first, he'd probably be done for quite a while. The 2nd and 3rd ones, those are hits I'd love seeing Kassian trying to make all night.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751439 is a reply to message #751413 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 11:21

Kassian is getting a hearing for the instigator play. League says Tkachuk hits were legal on a puck carrier, so nothing for him. First hit I think was borderline, but watching again, he does get the shoulder first, which causes Kassian's head to whip a bit, and he doesn't do up his strap properly, so the helmet goes flying. Next 2 hits were to the side, the one leading to the fight Kassian was bent over again causing another spin and loose helmet ejection, hehe.

Hope Kassian isn't suspended 3+ games, or be misses his chance to redeem himself in the next BOA.

Classic NHL when it comes to Oilers, Oiler gets his head targeted, which is itself a suspension, refs choose not to call it, so he's required to protect himself, and the OILER gets the freaking hearing..
Lesson learned, if you're going to get suspended for protecting yourself, because the league won't, then you might as well make it count, take the 15 game and put him on the LTIR.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751480 is a reply to message #751439 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 16:41

Kassian is getting a hearing for the instigator play. League says Tkachuk hits were legal on a puck carrier, so nothing for him. First hit I think was borderline, but watching again, he does get the shoulder first, which causes Kassian's head to whip a bit, and he doesn't do up his strap properly, so the helmet goes flying. Next 2 hits were to the side, the one leading to the fight Kassian was bent over again causing another spin and loose helmet ejection, hehe.

Hope Kassian isn't suspended 3+ games, or be misses his chance to redeem himself in the next BOA.

Classic NHL when it comes to Oilers, Oiler gets his head targeted, which is itself a suspension, refs choose not to call it, so he's required to protect himself, and the OILER gets the freaking hearing..
Lesson learned, if you're going to get suspended for protecting yourself, because the league won't, then you might as well make it count, take the 15 game and put him on the LTIR.

I don't even disagree with the league suspending Kassian - obviously, the league doesn't want a precedent where you can just pummel an opponent who isn't fighting back. While in this case there was a pretty good reason to punch Tkachuk repeatedly, if it's allowed, it makes it harder to suspend someone where a John Scott goes after a Phil Kessel.

I also think there's times when something is worth taking a suspension over. I have no real issue with Kassian taking one here to rain down some frontier justice on Tkachuk. I'm pretty supportive actually, although like Tippett, I think Kassian could have chosen his spot better - wait until one team is up a couple goals and then take him out...even if it's next game. And maybe have another player start a scrum first, in order to give an opportunity to really ding him.

But I do dislike that the league feels that Tkachuk can do no wrong. Is there anyone else who's been so often forgiven by the league for borderline hits? He seems to get the same kid gloves that anyone from the Boston Bruins gets from Player Safety. Is Parros buddies with his dad or something?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751492 is a reply to message #751480 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 January 2020 12:54

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 12 January 2020 16:41

I don't even disagree with the league suspending Kassian - obviously, the league doesn't want a precedent where you can just pummel an opponent who isn't fighting back. While in this case there was a pretty good reason to punch Tkachuk repeatedly, if it's allowed, it makes it harder to suspend someone where a John Scott goes after a Phil Kessel.

I also think there's times when something is worth taking a suspension over. I have no real issue with Kassian taking one here to rain down some frontier justice on Tkachuk. I'm pretty supportive actually, although like Tippett, I think Kassian could have chosen his spot better - wait until one team is up a couple goals and then take him out...even if it's next game. And maybe have another player start a scrum first, in order to give an opportunity to really ding him.

But I do dislike that the league feels that Tkachuk can do no wrong. Is there anyone else who's been so often forgiven by the league for borderline hits? He seems to get the same kid gloves that anyone from the Boston Bruins gets from Player Safety. Is Parros buddies with his dad or something?

Saw a clip of the Raffi Torres hit on Jarret Stoll. Identical hit, connects with shoulder first, then head. 6 game suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWZLoW1ggXI

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751433 is a reply to message #751377 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Game 48 last year was a loss to the lames. Was the start of a 12 game run where we only had 1 win. Last night was our game 47.

Let's not repeat history :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751444 is a reply to message #751377 ]
Sun, 12 January 2020 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

When it comes to suspensions Oilers suspensions are always the maximum range anyone thought possible based on prior precedent, PLUS another 2 or 3 games are tacked on top just as an Oiler multiplier.

Nurse got 3 games for speed bagging Polack for taking out Hendricks feet into the boards.

Look what happened to McD getting a suspension for accidently contacting a guys head on an incidental play, he got TWO FREAKING games, with zero priors. Listen to this NHL mouthpiece tying to explain the suspension, and then compare it to what Turtlechuk did to Kassian, and the fact he has priors, d-bag should get 5 games in comparison. Turlechuk hit Kassian with intent.

Because deep down NHL Corp. really wish they didn't have a franchise in Edmonton..

[Updated on: Sun, 12 January 2020 18:56]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751491 is a reply to message #751377 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I like how all the Flames players on the ice tried SOOOOO HAAAARD to step in to save Turtlechuk from the ensuing pounding.

Kinda like that guy in the bar trying to get involved in a brawl, but his 110 lb wife is getting in his way. "You're lucky my wife is holding me back buddy". That's how hard his team mates were trying to get in there to save him. Basically not at all.

And it's not like there was a bunch of other tough Oilers on the ice making them think twice either. McDavid, Neal, Klefbom and Larsson. Proof there was likely 40+ players dressed Saturday night that liked watching it too.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751496 is a reply to message #751377 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

At least the pictures were worth it

New BOA picture on SN

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOMwGUdUwAA9R3x?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751517 is a reply to message #751496 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 13 January 2020 15:49

At least the pictures were worth it

New BOA picture on SN

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOMwGUdUwAA9R3x?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

That image you put up was worth the 2 game suspension... Beauty!
If they hadn't known already, the whole league now knows what a cheap-shot pussy he really is.

Weather forecast for Turtle .. it'll be Raining Kassian Fists of Fury on Chia-Pet!
.. better go hide under your bed Turtle ... the Boogieman is comin' for yeah!

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2020 22:04]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #47) [message #751516 is a reply to message #751377 ]
Mon, 13 January 2020 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travgwhite  is currently offline travgwhite

No Cups

In response to calgarys GoFundMe to put Turtlechuck up on billboards in edmonton.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/getting-kassian-face-on-billboard s?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=sms&utm_campaign=p_ cf+share-flow-1

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca