This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749858]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
St. Louis to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749859 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Stupid McDavid.

Stupid Draisaitl.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749861 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749864 is a reply to message #749861 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 22:10

I didnt mind it that time. They had a 6 on 4 and got 2 or 3 quality chances out of it. If they take longer/worse shots the chances are much higher the Blues clear it down, wasting 20 or so seconds each time. It is the only downside to the PP is the lack of icing.

Overall I thought it was a decent effort on the road against the reigning champs. They didnt play great but they also didnt fold up shop under pressure.

The fact that I am ok with decent efforts and moral victories is an indicator of where I am with the team at this point. Win=cool that's fun, Loss=oh well.
Of course making the playoffs is great and all but games like this make it clear they are still boys among men in the contender rankings

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749867 is a reply to message #749864 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 21:18

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 22:10

I didnt mind it that time. They had a 6 on 4 and got 2 or 3 quality chances out of it. If they take longer/worse shots the chances are much higher the Blues clear it down, wasting 20 or so seconds each time. It is the only downside to the PP is the lack of icing.

Overall I thought it was a decent effort on the road against the reigning champs. They didnt play great but they also didnt fold up shop under pressure.

The fact that I am ok with decent efforts and moral victories is an indicator of where I am with the team at this point. Win=cool that's fun, Loss=oh well.
Of course making the playoffs is great and all but games like this make it clear they are still boys among men in the contender rankings

Yeah, that was men against boys stuff tonight. We don't have the depth to hang around with these teams consistently.

Koskinen kept us in it, he was great again. Shame we have a B2B coming up...Smith game incomming.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749872 is a reply to message #749867 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 20:25

Yeah, that was men against boys stuff tonight. We don't have the depth to hang around with these teams consistently.

Koskinen kept us in it, he was great again. Shame we have a B2B coming up...Smith game incomming.

Woodguy (@Woodguy55) posted this on twitter tonight. Pretty clearly shows the gap between the two teams.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMH2JAfUwAAJafh?format=png&name=small

This is what concerns me about Holland's approach thus far: ideally, the entire bottom 9 (and maybe 10 if Kassian wants $4M), needs to be upgraded. How do you possibly do that in one or even two summers? Bringing in 42 question marks this past summer didn't really move the team forward. At all.

https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/1207516812625076224?s=2 0

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749875 is a reply to message #749872 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 23:22

Woodguy (@Woodguy55) posted this on twitter tonight. Pretty clearly shows the gap between the two teams.

This is what concerns me about Holland's approach thus far: ideally, the entire bottom 9 (and maybe 10 if Kassian wants $4M), needs to be upgraded. How do you possibly do that in one or even two summers? Bringing in 42 question marks this past summer didn't really move the team forward. At all.

Truthfully. What were his options this offseason? He was given lemons. He made sugarless lemonade.

Hopefully his approach will be yo offload some albatross contracts between now and the draft. Pray for league wide injuries and a healthy Oilers team in 2020.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749876 is a reply to message #749875 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 05:51

Truthfully. What were his options this offseason? He was given lemons. He made sugarless lemonade.

Hopefully his approach will be yo offload some albatross contracts between now and the draft. Pray for league wide injuries and a healthy Oilers team in 2020.

It’s true. This was always a lost season. They’ve done more with it than anyone could have expected.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749877 is a reply to message #749875 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 04:51

Excuses. Archibald, Granlund, Sheahan, Nygard, Haas, Chiasson are his guys and his money. They are severely underperforming other depth players that he could have signed in the summer. The depth on this team is HIS problem.

You can blame Khaira, and P. Russell on Chiarelli, that's about it.

Also, Mike Smith is HIS problem.

We don't have time for honeymoons.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749878 is a reply to message #749872 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The bottom of that list...

https://media0.giphy.com/media/jV6W6F4xXCcfc77TpD/giphy.gif

We certainly didn't gain much ground last summer. I think he struck out twice trying to get Nyquist and Brassard. Turns out both guys would have helped a lot based on their point totals where they ended up. Consolation prize is a pile of poo.

Running out of summers.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 December 2019 07:57]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749863 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

That road trip went about as well as we could expect.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749865 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I actually thought this was a guaranteed loss, but Koskinen kept it from being lopsided and the Oilers almost stole a point late. Men vs boys here. On to the Habs Saturday.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749868 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Losing streak

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749869 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

More annoying thing about games like this is how the GWG against is the kind of goal we pretty much never score. No team let's our guys walk into the slot right in front of our goalie like that for 1-timers from a guy passing behind the net. This team remains pretty darn leaky defensively. I don't mean to just pick on McDavid either who just decided to not care on that one. Lots of guys on this team do that. Still waiting on Tippett to get this team fully mentally engaged, if it's possible. Maybe it's not.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749870 is a reply to message #749869 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 21:34

More annoying thing about games like this is how the GWG against is the kind of goal we pretty much never score. No team let's our guys walk into the slot right in front of our goalie like that for 1-timers from a guy passing behind the net. This team remains pretty darn leaky defensively. I don't mean to just pick on McDavid either who just decided to not care on that one. Lots of guys on this team do that. Still waiting on Tippett to get this team fully mentally engaged, if it's possible. Maybe it's not.

Ultimately the superstars who win Cups play the right way defensively along with their teammates. You've got to do the small things be the difference on the defensive side along with the spectacular on the other end. On that same play there were 2 opportunities for either Kass or Drai to protect the net front, and finally 97 on the backcheck. Little things that maybe turn this outcome into a point. We're a ways from that yet.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749871 is a reply to message #749870 ]
Wed, 18 December 2019 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 18 December 2019 22:03

Ultimately the superstars who win Cups play the right way defensively along with their teammates. You've got to do the small things be the difference on the defensive side along with the spectacular on the other end. On that same play there were 2 opportunities for either Kass or Drai to protect the net front, and finally 97 on the backcheck. Little things that maybe turn this outcome into a point. We're a ways from that yet.

Takes a while for the young guys to make that shift. Usually the generational players get to win a cup playing all out offense on a deep team. But, yeah, over time, they make a shift and start being fully in the zone in all zones. The guy that made that pass from behind the net, O'Rielly, that guy is a tireless beast in all 3 zones, never relenting, never giving an inch as long as he has the energy to try. McDavid and Drai I bet will be that type of player one day, just not quite yet. And if we keep sucking, someone else is gonna enjoy the benefit of it. And also in the mean time,if we have to play them >22 minutes every single game, they won't have the energy anyways to give their all in all 3 zones all year long.

Not sure what the excuse is for other guys on this team though, aside from how they are just not that good at hockey :)

[Updated on: Wed, 18 December 2019 22:08]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749879 is a reply to message #749871 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Hard fought game against a really good, vet team that knows how to play tight checking, grind it out, winning hockey. Koskinen was excellent again. I thought the team played reasonably hard. Came down to mistakes.

Until the Oilers best players decide to buy in each and every play, they will be an up and down team. No excuse for McDavid not picking up his man. A simple stick lift and the Oilers get at least a point from that game, maybe win it in OT. When you coast into the defensive zone, bad things happen. The NHL is so tight now that games can literally come down to a couple of plays either way. McDavid decided to take a play off in the defensive zone, cost his team a goal against and the game.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 December 2019 08:06]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749881 is a reply to message #749879 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Defense played good, Kos played really well.
Forwards were the usual themselves - not great.
Showed up in the 3rd period when we were getting out shot 34-18 after 2. Seriously almost every game we just pass pass pass and continue to get out shot. I'm surprised we have the record we do for having the 5th worst shots per game. It always feels like the ice is tilted against us, we play in our end so much then we mess up in the neutral zone or within 2 feet on their blue line that leads to a turn over.

Drai and McDavid need to be better defensively, they don't mark their guy properly, game after game.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749887 is a reply to message #749881 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 09:15

Defense played good, Kos played really well.
Forwards were the usual themselves - not great.
Showed up in the 3rd period when we were getting out shot 34-18 after 2. Seriously almost every game we just pass pass pass and continue to get out shot. I'm surprised we have the record we do for having the 5th worst shots per game. It always feels like the ice is tilted against us, we play in our end so much then we mess up in the neutral zone or within 2 feet on their blue line that leads to a turn over.

Drai and McDavid need to be better defensively, they don't mark their guy properly, game after game.

Seems like it was inevitable for McDrai to start focusing 100% on offense and letting other stuff go by the wayside. How long have we gone where they know that if they don't score almost all the goals, the team can never win? That much change your outlook of what you need to focus on and save your energy for for your own ice time.

McDrai have been <50% advanced stats guys since the start of the year basically. Things are starting to get weird with this disaster Chia created. Holland needs to figure out how to get 3+ useful depth forwards before the start of next season.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749880 is a reply to message #749869 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I think it was three of the goals against in the leaf game that were almost exactly like that and even worse where everyone is watching the puck and nobody picking up the guy that's coming in all alone in front of the net. Hard to believe they can be that lame defensively at times but those mental break downs and lack awareness and effort when it comes to defense are costing them. All in all though a decent game against a superior opponent with another stellar goaltending performance by Koski.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749882 is a reply to message #749869 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It isn't just McDavid, it's all the big guys. Leon had moments in the Leafs game where he did fly byes. The best "2 way forward" on the team, walks on water Nuge had moments where he didn't pick up his man that caused goals or good chances. Coasting into the zone and not picking up your man has nothing to do with who are your wingers. Those moments can't happen. Early in the season when the Oilers were playing really well and got off to their good start, those things didn't happen. They have come back. Until the big boys clean that up, the results won't improve.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749884 is a reply to message #749882 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 08:18

It isn't just McDavid, it's all the big guys. Leon had moments in the Leafs game where he did fly byes. The best "2 way forward" on the team, walks on water Nuge had moments where he didn't pick up his man that caused goals or good chances. Coasting into the zone and not picking up your man has nothing to do with who are your wingers. Those moments can't happen. Early in the season when the Oilers were playing really well and got off to their good start, those things didn't happen. They have come back. Until the big boys clean that up, the results won't improve.

I think the huge minutes LD and McD have been pulling is starting to catch up with them, and showing at times, maybe not just physically but mentally, they'll be good, this is where the Toby Cup contenders should be carrying the load at times during these games that is missing, other teams have it, Oil do not.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749886 is a reply to message #749884 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 09:45

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 08:18

I think the huge minutes LD and McD have been pulling is starting to catch up with them, and showing at times, maybe not just physically but mentally, they'll be good, this is where the Toby Cup contenders should be carrying the load at times during these games that is missing, other teams have it, Oil do not.

O'Reilly played over 23 mins last night. You don't see O'Reilly coasting into the defensive zone letting his man skate freely to the net. It would have taken McDavid maybe 2 strides to be shoulder to shoulder with his man to lift his stick, instead he coasted into the zone. It's not like his man snuck in behind. He saw him all the way.

In my opinion, playing lots has nothing to do with not picking up your man or not getting the puck in deep or all the little mistakes that cost the Oilers. It's a mindset. It's a commitment to doing it every single time. It's not flying the zone to try to get a stretch pass, it's waiting that extra second to make sure the puck gets out. It's no trying to deke through 2 guys late in a shift when your linemates are changing because you can do it sometimes. It's get the puck in deep. It's not flinging a hope pass out into the slot trying to put it through 3 defenders where if it works, holy man will that be a highlight goal. It's putting it into the corner if you have too and live to fight another day. All these things we see the Oilers best players do time and time again. We don't just see them at the end of the night, it's early in the game and all times in between.

The Oilers do have flaws in their line up but if they as an entire team which includes McDavid and Leon committed to doing all the little things every single time, they have shown they can stay in games with any team. Then with 2 top 10 players in the world on your team, you have a chance to win every game because most teams can't match up man for man with them skill wise with those 2. But it's a mindset, you have to want to do it every play and it starts with 97 & 29. If those 2 commit to playing the right way every single time, the rest will follow.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749883 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

This team needs to be more than 97 and 29. Not enough horses in the barn to get this done.

Passing... get some confidence to grip it and rip it.

Pucks in deep from the points, zone break outs have de-evolved. The D collapse and give a ton of space to the opposition, needs to fix that.

This is all going badly now, we are 3 losses away from using October's rush all up. Concerning.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749888 is a reply to message #749858 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Gonna be that guy...

Too bad the Oilers didn’t have (a player like) Taylor Hall to throw over the boards last night.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749889 is a reply to message #749888 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:20

Gonna be that guy...

Too bad the Oilers didn’t have (a player like) Taylor Hall to throw over the boards last night.

I'm gonna be that other guy. We probably still lose with Hall. Blues knew how hard to play to beat us, they had another level if they felt like going to it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749890 is a reply to message #749889 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:22

Gonna be that guy...

I'm gonna be that other guy. We probably still lose with Hall. Blues knew how hard to play to beat us, they had another level if they felt like going to it.

Meh - we can't really use that excuse. Every time it's a top team and the Oilers lose, you see the same story: "Team X just really knows how to win." Well, two issues with that. First of all, the Blues have lost 14 times this season already (six of those in extra time) so it's not like they're not beatable (especially considering we got the backup goalie). They were REALLY good at losing at the end of last year.

And secondly, the Oilers have lost a lot of games this year to teams they should beat on paper, so they should be able to win some of the ones they lose on paper too.

The team has some huge flaws, and it makes it damn tough to win consistently. The GM is sitting on his hands, so it doesn't appear the cavalry is coming any time soon, so if the team is going to have any chance, they're going to have to start winning some of the games against good teams (and against bad teams for that matter). Koskinen, for all his flaws, gave them a shot at it last night, but the Oilers got badly outplayed all night.

I do think another good forward is a BIG help here. Taylor Hall is gone though, so until we trade the first rounder and Puljujarvi or Jones for Pageau ( doh ) this is what we've got.

I have to say - I'm worried about the team's ability to attract enough good players over another summer - especially if they miss the playoffs again this year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749892 is a reply to message #749890 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:29

Gonna be that guy...

Meh - we can't really use that excuse. Every time it's a top team and the Oilers lose, you see the same story: "Team X just really knows how to win." Well, two issues with that. First of all, the Blues have lost 14 times this season already (six of those in extra time) so it's not like they're not beatable (especially considering we got the backup goalie). They were REALLY good at losing at the end of last year.

And secondly, the Oilers have lost a lot of games this year to teams they should beat on paper, so they should be able to win some of the ones they lose on paper too.

The team has some huge flaws, and it makes it damn tough to win consistently. The GM is sitting on his hands, so it doesn't appear the cavalry is coming any time soon, so if the team is going to have any chance, they're going to have to start winning some of the games against good teams (and against bad teams for that matter). Koskinen, for all his flaws, gave them a shot at it last night, but the Oilers got badly outplayed all night.

I do think another good forward is a BIG help here. Taylor Hall is gone though, so until we trade the first rounder and Puljujarvi or Jones for Pageau ( doh ) this is what we've got.

I have to say - I'm worried about the team's ability to attract enough good players over another summer - especially if they miss the playoffs again this year.

If Holland sells the farm for a lesser player instead of just getting Hall, I will certainly be down on him. Still just don't think this team is at a point where Hall would really move the needle that much. Way too many flaws still in this lineup. 3 guys and a bag of poo is still nothing better than playoff fodder.

Attracting UFA's will definitely be a bit harder if we miss. Is tying up multiple 1st rounders and trading 3 assets worth a slight improvement of being able to attract overpriced players this summer... Or would those assets be better used to trade for players you want that aren't overpriced. Debatable. Also debatable if Holland will actually trade any of them or if he's just gonna keep over-ripening :) We'll have to see. Regardless, I don't think there was any path to being a contender this season thanks to many years of destruction.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749893 is a reply to message #749890 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 11:29

Gonna be that guy...

But why mortgage the future just to make playoffs? We must stay the course!!!

Seriously though, making playoffs does more good than bad for this team. McDavid has made the playoffs once in his NHL career... you think that makes him happy? Playoffs help these guys confidence, it helps these guys development.

Guess who else it helps... the fan base.

This Pageau fella won’t tip the needle, sorry.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749894 is a reply to message #749893 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:42

How dare you! Ryan Rishaug, the bureau chief for TSN Edmonton, says we need a 3rd line centre more than a league MVP. Who are you to question him???

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749899 is a reply to message #749894 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 11:46

How dare you! Ryan Rishaug, the bureau chief for TSN Edmonton, says we need a 3rd line centre more than a league MVP. Who are you to question him???

Apologies, you’re right. I had forgotten the words of one Ryan Rishaug. I’ll go sit in the corner

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749895 is a reply to message #749893 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gonna be that guy...

Seriously though, making playoffs does more good than bad for this team. McDavid has made the playoffs once in his NHL career... you think that makes him happy? Playoffs help these guys confidence, it helps these guys development.

Islanders used to be the masters of the sell the farm just to try to make it move. Lead to some great confidence building years for Tavares :)

Columbus is just bathing in confidence now after the farm sell last year

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749896 is a reply to message #749895 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:46

Gonna be that guy...

Islanders used to be the masters of the sell the farm just to try to make it move. Lead to some great confidence building years for Tavares :)

Tavares is a great example of what happens with a superstar player on a backwards franchise once free agency comes. ;)

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749897 is a reply to message #749896 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:49

Gonna be that guy...

Tavares is a great example of what happens with a superstar player on a backwards franchise once free agency comes. ;)

And the Islanders are a great example of a team that kept thinking 1 more player would solve all their problems that exist all over their lineup instead of actually trying to build something.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749898 is a reply to message #749897 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 10:50

Gonna be that guy...

And the Islanders are a great example of a team that kept thinking 1 more player would solve all their problems that exist all over their lineup instead of actually trying to build something.

Are you saying Josh Archibald isn't the answer?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749900 is a reply to message #749898 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 11:00

Gonna be that guy...

Are you saying Josh Archibald isn't the answer?

Sadly, half this lineup is non-answers :( And most of them are already getting to play against the worst the other team has to offer with full energy in their tanks...and they still do nothing.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749906 is a reply to message #749897 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think Tavares is a better example of the dangers of doing nothing. What big trades did they make there? The Smyth deal pre-dated Tavares.

Tavares made the playoffs only three times in nine years with the Islanders. Here were their in-season deals in those years:

2012-13: Acquired Tim Thomas for conditional 2nd round pick at trade deadline
2014-15: Acquired Leddy & Boychuck on Oct 4th for 4 nothing prospects & three picks that turned in to nothing. Acquired Michal Neuvirth for Chad Johnson & pick at deadline. Acquired Tyler Kennedy for 3rd round pick. Some other minor league moves.
2015-16: Traded Beck for Cliche at the deadling. Also picked up Shane Prince for a pick.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/New_Y ork_Islanders/1

In a couple other years, they picked up players like Andy MacDonald at the deadline, but they weren't overly active mid-season for Tavares' whole career. The only year that they did not have a 1st round pick in Tavares' entire time with the team was 2017 - just before his final season there and that was given up to the Golden Knights so they could pick who went in the expansion draft.

If anything, I think looking at the trade record of the Islanders suggests they didn't do enough to make sure that they had a consistently good team around Tavares - and as a result he felt like his first decade in the NHL was pretty much wasted.

It would be even worse to have McDavid and Draisaitl and not make the playoffs more consistently than that, but the Oilers make anything (bad) possible.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749909 is a reply to message #749906 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 11:27

I think Tavares is a better example of the dangers of doing nothing. What big trades did they make there? The Smyth deal pre-dated Tavares.

Tavares made the playoffs only three times in nine years with the Islanders. Here were their in-season deals in those years:

2014-15: Acquired Leddy & Boychuck on Oct 4th for 4 nothing prospects & three picks that turned in to nothing. Acquired Michal Neuvirth for Chad Johnson & pick at deadline. Acquired Tyler Kennedy for 3rd round pick. Some other minor league moves.
2015-16: Traded Beck for Cliche at the deadling. Also picked up Shane Prince for a pick.

In a couple other years, they picked up players like Andy MacDonald at the deadline, but they weren't overly active mid-season for Tavares' whole career. The only year that they did not have a 1st round pick in Tavares' entire time with the team was 2017 - just before his final season there and that was given up to the Golden Knights so they could pick who went in the expansion draft.

If anything, I think looking at the trade record of the Islanders suggests they didn't do enough to make sure that they had a consistently good team around Tavares - and as a result he felt like his first decade in the NHL was pretty much wasted.

It would be even worse to have McDavid and Draisaitl and not make the playoffs more consistently than that, but the Oilers make anything (bad) possible.

Why exclude 13/14? That was their big Vanek splash. ANd Vanek almost gave them PPG for 50 games. They still sucked though. That's a pretty good comparable to getting Hall right now IMO.

14/15 they tried to go balls out too, failed. Finally Snow decided to focus on drafting and building a little, and Lou gets to enjoy the rewards :) And JT bailed with bad timing, hehe. Although, the heart of their rebuild was taking advantage of Chia, so I guess it's not actually that impressive.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 December 2019 12:08]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749911 is a reply to message #749909 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 12:00

Why exclude 13/14? That was their big Vanek splash. ANd Vanek almost gave them PPG for 50 games. They still sucked though. That's a pretty good comparable to getting Hall right now IMO.

14/15 they tried to go balls out too, failed. Finally Snow decided to focus on drafting and building a little, and Lou gets to enjoy the rewards :) And JT bailed with bad timing, hehe. Although, the heart of their rebuild was taking advantage of Chia, so I guess it's not actually that impressive.

Vanek was good with the Islanders - probably full value on the trade. Hard to suggest that had anything to do with them missing the playoffs. They did give up a 1st rounder, but it was 21st overall and only ever became Colin White.

There is some similarities there, because they also had terrible goaltending that year. Best netminder was .905. Turns out that goalies are important. Injuries played a role too. Tavares missed a quarter of the season. Visnovsky missed almost 60 games.

The trades in 2014-15 are all good for their team too - whether they had success in the playoffs of not, they got two defencemen who've been really good for the Islanders for a lot of years for a whole lot of nothing. There's nothing there that suggests any of those trades were a mistake that's cost the team...if anything, they weren't bold enough when they had chances - well, that and they failed to realize they needed a good goalie. Ironic, since they had a bad goalie as their GM!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37) [message #749912 is a reply to message #749911 ]
Thu, 19 December 2019 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 12:15

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 December 2019 12:00

Vanek was good with the Islanders - probably full value on the trade. Hard to suggest that had anything to do with them missing the playoffs. They did give up a 1st rounder, but it was 21st overall and only ever became Colin White.

There is some similarities there, because they also had terrible goaltending that year. Best netminder was .905. Turns out that goalies are important. Injuries played a role too. Tavares missed a quarter of the season. Visnovsky missed almost 60 games.

The trades in 2014-15 are all good for their team too - whether they had success in the playoffs of not, they got two defencemen who've been really good for the Islanders for a lot of years for a whole lot of nothing. There's nothing there that suggests any of those trades were a mistake that's cost the team...if anything, they weren't bold enough when they had chances - well, that and they failed to realize they needed a good goalie. Ironic, since they had a bad goalie as their GM!

So is it safe for me to assume that in your eyes, the Oilers needed to get Hall at all cost and there is no other player worth getting?

[Updated on: Thu, 19 December 2019 12:26]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca